Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My first solo (as opposed to tandem) ride in my new home of Northumberland. Decided to take it easy and see if I could find a route also suitable for the tandem.

Headed north past the Alnwick Garden, stopped on the bridge over the Aln for a castle photo

View attachment 396771

Managed the climb out of the valley without too much difficulty :rolleyes: and found that once over the A1, the terrain was much easier. I had not intended going too far for my first trip, but soon decided to head for Seahouses.

Spring is on it's way.

View attachment 396773

The main East Coast line follows the road to a little village called Christon Bank, where there is an automated crossing. As I was about 300 yards from the village a Virgin train approached southbound sounding the horn. I wondered why it was doing this, when I saw that in the field I was passing was a farm track and an ungated crossing :eek:.

The rest of the trip to Seahouses was almost traffic free and very pleasant, although there were bits of the road that could do with attention.

On arrival I headed for the harbour.

View attachment 396774
This is a view of the 'beach' with Bamburgh castle in the distance. I retraced my route back to the outskirts of Alnwick, where I made a slight diversion to go past the castle. Unfortunately the sun was exactly in the wrong place to take a good photo.

View attachment 396775

The only time I'd been this way was in the car and not going into the town, so the 12% hill up to the castle entrance was a bit of a shock :laugh:.

So, 34 miles in 2hrs 45min, not bad for a first effort ^_^

View attachment 396777

I’ve visited that area and loved it. Even visited Alnwick Castle which is where they filmed the broomstick flying scene in the first Harry Potter film. Great stuff!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first solo (as opposed to tandem) ride in my new home of Northumberland. Decided to take it easy and see if I could find a route also suitable for the tandem.

Headed north past the Alnwick Garden, stopped on the bridge over the Aln for a castle photo

View attachment 396771

Managed the climb out of the valley without too much difficulty :rolleyes: and found that once over the A1, the terrain was much easier. I had not intended going too far for my first trip, but soon decided to head for Seahouses.

Spring is on it's way.

View attachment 396773

The main East Coast line follows the road to a little village called Christon Bank, where there is an automated crossing. As I was about 300 yards from the village a Virgin train approached southbound sounding the horn. I wondered why it was doing this, when I saw that in the field I was passing was a farm track and an ungated crossing :eek:.

The rest of the trip to Seahouses was almost traffic free and very pleasant, although there were bits of the road that could do with attention.

On arrival I headed for the harbour.

View attachment 396774
This is a view of the 'beach' with Bamburgh castle in the distance. I retraced my route back to the outskirts of Alnwick, where I made a slight diversion to go past the castle. Unfortunately the sun was exactly in the wrong place to take a good photo.

View attachment 396775

The only time I'd been this way was in the car and not going into the town, so the 12% hill up to the castle entrance was a bit of a shock :laugh:.

So, 34 miles in 2hrs 45min, not bad for a first effort ^_^

View attachment 396777

Love that part of the world - about a quarter mile north of Seahouses probably one of the best beaches in the world starts at St Aidans and takes you right up to Bamburgh castle.
Some nice riding just back from the coast there too - here's my report from last summer. ^_^

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After a couple of days off the bikes due to constant drizzle here in South Suffolk, I decided to take the newly cleaned & lubed Voodoo up to Rutland Water for a couple of laps of the reservoir. Nothing special, just a change from the normal routine. More than a bit muddy and the Voodoo needs cleaning yet again...
Muddy Rutland (1).JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P and I rode up and over to Colwall for the meet with Pete M. Off for Coddington we headed where we stopped at the bottom of the hill to view a wonderful display of crocus. Bit more in the way of sunshine would have made them even more spectacular. We looped by Bosbury and Harbour Hill for Canon Frome and the dodge by Ashperton for The Nest cafe. Wow - it was busy but we got a table fairly easily. Sara headed off early as Pete and I slurped another tea.

Underway again we took Falcon Lane for Leddington and on for Broom's Green. Then around the southern flanks of the hills to dive into the well worn Castlemorton lanes and a dodge by Brotheridge Green for the standard run in. Cold and chilly today. That wind was straight out of Siberia. 46 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My ride today started the same as yesterday, drop the van off at the garage again (MOT passed this time, following the replacement of a £20 warning light, plus £60 to reset the CANBUS, the joys of modern vehicles).
Figured I'd get my metric century done today in the bitter cold wind, grand plans of going to the Surrey Hills abandoned as I wasn't really 'feeling it' today, so struggled around 100km of local roads. Happy to get home to be honest, not an enjoyable ride at all. Silly Cyclechat challenge rides:laugh:

13 rider

Guru
My ride today started the same as yesterday, drop the van off at the garage again (MOT passed this time, following the replacement of a £20 warning light, plus £60 to reset the CANBUS, the joys of modern vehicles).
Figured I'd get my metric century done today in the bitter cold wind, grand plans of going to the Surrey Hills abandoned as I wasn't really 'feeling it' today, so struggled around 100km of local roads. Happy to get home to be honest, not an enjoyable ride at all. Silly Cyclechat challenge rides:laugh:
You will go for multiple challenges :okay:. Great efforts so far this year

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out into the cold to rack up a few more miles.

With an easterly wind blowing I rode into it to start with and hoped it would help me back. The route was into town and through The Quarry, out to Uffington then I took a left instead of a right at Upton Magna and headed for Withington, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover and home via Lyth Hill.

It really does feel arctic out there, and again colder than the actual temperature would suggest. I put on three fleeces and my long finger gloves for this one and could still have done with something warmer later on in the ride.

There was a liveried van being seized by the police for having no insurance at Porthill (they put a notice on for all to see :giggle:) then I found the park still busy but not as much as a couple of days ago and I braved the canal path this time which has dried out pretty well since I last rode it.

The middle part of the ride was pretty uneventful (I like uneventful - it means I can enjoy riding) 'til I got to Acton Burnell and decided to extend the route despite the cold. This brought me to a road closure I didn't know about, but fortunately it was just possible to squeeze past with a bike.

At Longnor the cold was getting to my legs and I found myself struggling to keep the speed up. It's mostly slightly downhill from here to Condover which helped but I didn't fancy the last push on the A49 with all the traffic whizzing past so took the slower but quieter route over Lyth Hill instead.

34.9 miles at 12.9 mph average. Will have to really layer up for the next few rides as it's supposed to go properly cold from Sunday.

DSC0005894.jpg

Some serious pruning of the willows going on. I know they'll recover eventually but will miss them this summer.:sad:

DSC0005895.jpg
Upton Magna

DSC0005897.jpg

At Uppington there's been some traditional hedge laying going on since I was last here.

DSC0005899.jpg

Unexpected road closure again. Passable to a bike though.

DSC0005900.jpg

Grey, misty and wintery feeling today. I'm looking forward to some spring warmth now.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
You will go for multiple challenges :okay:. Great efforts so far this year

Wonder who gave me that idea:whistle::whistle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had the chance of a ride today, and after careful study of the predicted wind direction I planned a variation on one of my usual themes - up into the Cotswolds via Stroud, through the Water Park, northwards to the high part of the Cotswold ridge, down and across the Severn, and finishing in the quiet lands on the western side of the river.

Feb22a.JPG

After jousting with the rush-hour traffic to Nailsworth there was an abrupt and welcome change of scene in the valley to Avening, then up the hill to Tetbury. Nothing too strenuous so far. Onwards through the Water Park I had the cold wind in my face, but no hills to speak of. Turning northwards, a long uphill drag begins. Other times I've been this way I've taken a relatively easy route over the top, but this time I headed for the high point at Broadway Tower, on the way passing another 1000 foot summit at Cutsdean hill.

A view near Guiting Power. It looks throughly wintry, but it doesn't really tell just how cold it was. I tend to take two large water bottles without thinking, a bit superfluous today!

Feb22a.JPG

Passing an area of woodland, a drumming woodpecker gave a clear sign of the coming spring. Near where I stopped for the photograph there was a large population of grey partridge, the first I've seen for decades. They used to be so familiar. Maybe they're getting some help in the shape of captive breeding, but it was still a welcome sight.

After Broadway Tower there is a long looping descent to Broadway called Fish Hill, on which I achieved 2586th out of 2632. Better safe than sorry I say. Returning to the lowlands I picked up a tailwind to Upton upon Severn and beyond. Crossing Longdon Marsh, familiar to those who ride in these parts I'm sure, there was a nice set of railings for a much needed final stop:

Feb22b.JPG

Fuelled for the finish, I took the straightforward route home via Staunton and Hartpury. A total of 111.4 miles, averaging a mere 12.2 mph but clearly I was using a lot of energy fighting the cold. Most importantly, it felt good, and I'm hoping to feel the benefit when spring is upon us in the coming weeks :smile:

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Sara P and I rode up and over to Colwall for the meet with Pete M. Off for Coddington we headed where we stopped at the bottom of the hill to view a wonderful display of crocus. Bit more in the way of sunshine would have made them even more spectacular. We looped by Bosbury and Harbour Hill for Canon Frome and the dodge by Ashperton for The Nest cafe. Wow - it was busy but we got a table fairly easily. Sara headed off early as Pete and I slurped another tea.

Underway again we took Falcon Lane for Leddington and on for Broom's Green. Then around the southern flanks of the hills to dive into the well worn Castlemorton lanes and a dodge by Brotheridge Green for the standard run in. Cold and chilly today. That wind was straight out of Siberia. 46 smiles

That wasn't you two up by the Wyche cutting more or less at 10 am was it ? The guy had a pink-ish cap on ?

I had the chance of a ride today, and after careful study of the predicted wind direction I planned a variation on one of my usual themes - up into the Cotswolds via Stroud, through the Water Park, northwards to the high part of the Cotswold ridge, down and across the Severn, and finishing in the quiet lands on the western side of the river.

View attachment 397001

After jousting with the rush-hour traffic to Nailsworth there was an abrupt and welcome change of scene in the valley to Avening, then up the hill to Tetbury. Nothing too strenuous so far. Onwards through the Water Park I had the cold wind in my face, but no hills to speak of. Turning northwards, a long uphill drag begins. Other times I've been this way I've taken a relatively easy route over the top, but this time I headed for the high point at Broadway Tower, on the way passing another 1000 foot summit at Cutsdean hill.

A view near Guiting Power. It looks throughly wintry, but it doesn't really tell just how cold it was. I tend to take two large water bottles without thinking, a bit superfluous today!

View attachment 397010

Passing an area of woodland, a drumming woodpecker gave a clear sign of the coming spring. Near where I stopped for the photograph there was a large population of grey partridge, the first I've seen for decades. They used to be so familiar. Maybe they're getting some help in the shape of captive breeding, but it was still a welcome sight.

After Broadway Tower there is a long looping descent to Broadway called Fish Hill, on which I achieved 2586th out of 2632. Better safe than sorry I say. Returning to the lowlands I picked up a tailwind to Upton upon Severn and beyond. Crossing Longdon Marsh, familiar to those who ride in these parts I'm sure, there was a nice set of railings for a much needed final stop:

View attachment 397013

Fuelled for the finish, I took the straightforward route home via Staunton and Hartpury. A total of 111.4 miles, averaging a mere 12.2 mph but clearly I was using a lot of energy fighting the cold. Most importantly, it felt good, and I'm hoping to feel the benefit when spring is upon us in the coming weeks :smile:
well done for a good distance in this weather

Top Bottom