Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
C20C0A50-D48A-452F-8147-A9749363700A.jpeg
Back out again to Manchester Airport after feeding the animals at work mainly to pick up a bit of memorabilia near the demolition site of some old hangers. Me and my friends always cycled to spot there and this sign brought back memories when we locked our bikes up and I could not let it be dumped with the rest of the rubble. 47 miles in total on the Spa Tourer,just wish the cold wind would bugger off !!!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
having put my TI bike back together following repair to the frame, ive given it a few test rides - longest so far today 106Km - Blaby = Countesthorpe - Ashby Magna - Leire - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna and Parva - Monks Kirby - Withybrooke - shlton - Brinklow - up the fosse road and a few loops around Monks Kirby - Ashby Parva - Gilmorton - Walcote - Walton - Bruntingthorpe - Petling Magna - Countesthrpe. Rides lovely though my feet were unbelievably cold when I got back!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With Snowmageddon III forecast for tomorrow :dry: I decided to see about banking Aprils half century early.

Out just before nine into the greyness, but at least it was dry if a bit chilly. Once again the bike found it's own way up Coal Road, but I wrestled with the bars to take Red Hall Lane and then the A58 dash before taking Whin Moor Lane into Shadwell, then left and mainly up to Slaid Hill lights and through the dip on Wike Ridge Road, before cutting back across the top on Tarn Lane, then the appallingly surfaced Ling Lane before dropping down the A58 and taking the right to descend into Hellwood and the climb up that hill.

Along Milner Lane between the hedges and then Holme Farm Lane to East Rigton, before the mudfest that is Compton Lane all the way to Jewitt Lane and the long drop down into Collingham. Close pass of the day from a person in a 3-series :dry: on the A659 just before turning right and the road to Linton, which I've ridden through loads, but which never fails to surprise me with it's lumpiness. A decent sized group ride appeared to be heading out from the hotel in Linton, but I left them chewing my dust. Or they turned off at the next junction and headed for Sickinghall - you decide. :whistle:

Into Wetherby and through the town centre before dropping down into The Wilderness for a break and some Haribo:
IMG_20180401_095528848_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180401_095655009.jpg

After saying hello to some very friendly poodles who were out for a walk with their owners, it was back in the saddle for that sharp climb back up the hill and out over the A1(M) bridge and past the racecourse, before taking another right and finally getting a bit of wind assistance on the run down to Thorp Arch, where I added a loop around Long Causeway in.
Down and over the bridge and back up the other side, before heading down Boston Spa Main Street and out into the countryside to Barr Lane, where I turned almost back on myself to drop down towards Clifford. All that down then had to be turned into up through the village (Clifford's main street is over half a mile long and all up hill...unless you're heading the other way of course...;))
You are rewarded with the fast drop down into Bramham, but then immediately made to pay with the climb back out and, in my case, across the A1(M) bridge and onto Thorner Road which is in a shocking condition, breaking up at the edges something terrible, resulting in a rough surface and some very dodgy water filled potholes meaning that I rode quite a bit of this out near the centre of the road. At this point it started to rain, which was nice (and not forecast!).
Onto Thorner Lane, where the surface isn't much better, through the dip and the next half mile is slightly up hill, making you appreciate the slight drop as you approach Milner Lane.
Then it was another wind assisted shove back to the drop down into Thorner, through the village and onto Carr Lane for the least worst climb out of there, eventually reaching the A58. As I still had the wind at my back I stayed on there rather than climbing up Coal Road, and soon turned onto Red Hall Lane and then it was left down to Coal Road, then local roads heading for home.
As I got to the end of the street I noticed I was going to come up just short of a metric half, so a long loop around the block was added to push the distance on.

31.50 miles (50.69km) in 2h 24m at an average of 13.1mph with 1,722ft climbed, with a chilly average temperature of just 1.5C

Still, all good and it's April's half century in the bank nice and early. Despite the weather there were a lot of cyclists out and about, mainly in ones and twos though rather than group rides - possibly burning some calories to offset against all those Easter Eggs? ^_^

Edit to add: today's ride put me past 500 miles for the year to date, which isn't a huge amount compared to many, but it's a chunk of my target mileage done.

And to end, the map:
01042018.JPG

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Back down to earth with a bump today. Struggled all the way around on our club ride to Ashleworth, Chaceley, Staunton, Brand Green and Upleadon. Although I led the ride out for much of the outward leg, the climb up over the Woolridge saw me slip back through the pack, as did every other incline after that. Just felt like I was firing on three cylinders today. Two of us consistently occupied the back two positions out of eight all the way back ..... and it turned out that both of us had given blood this week and were probably low on red blood cells. Back on the iron tablets tonight. Oh, well, it was another friendly ride with a good coffee stop at Staunton Garden Centre. (Just about the only café open today). That's another 37.6 miles done. Next week's ride is due to be about twice as long, so I'd better get my act together quickly.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's a nicer day than yesterday, if still a little chilly and I decided to head for the Long Mynd again. I didn't want to be out too long this time so went for the short option; climbing up from the Leebotwood side and coming back via the Burway.

Setting out I took the flat way to Condover. I didn't have to wait for a gap to get on the A49 this time but if I had been a minute later I'd have caught the long stream of traffic coming up from the south. Once off the main road things were quieter but I had a couple of floods to negotiate between Ryton and Longnor.

I had a bit of a wait to cross the A49 again at Leebotwood then, after the village, passed a group of cyclists stopped at the roadside involved in a puncture repair. I was going to ask if they were alright but getting closer could see that they were finished and the tyre was just being pumped up again so carried on after saying hello.

Getting onto the Long Mynd from this side is a long steady climb of 1,000 feet in about 3 miles with the steepest section in the last mile or so. Because of this I always take it easy to save the legs for later on. The group I'd passed earlier had finished their repair and were hot on my heels shortly before the climb ramps up and I wondered if they might have pushed on a bit too hard. They were nowhere in sight by the time the gradient starts to ease again which sort of answered that question.:whistle:

From the top of this climb I took to the gravel track across Wild Moor and heading for the summit. With the recent rain this path was quite soft and hard going for a while until I got to the better surfaces. Being Easter Sunday there are lots of people out walking, making for steady progress and lots of use of the bell (people do like the dutch style two-tone bell and I got plenty of favourable comments and smiles).

There was a crowd at the summit and a young mountain biker came over to chat to me, which was nice as the mountain bike crowd often look down on my cheap bike.:okay:

Leaving Pole Bank I took the path to Pole Cottage to start but then doubled back to Boiling Well and on towards The Burway which was very busy as expected. I was following a car down the road and actually catching up when they pulled over to let me overtake. Most unexpected and a nice gesture. I did pause for a quick photo on the way down then left the tarmac to bounce along the bridleway into Carding Mill Valley which was absolutely seething with visitors.

My route back was the same as last time - All Stretton, Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Cantlop, Condover and over Lyth Hill to home. After all the climbing I was flagging a little on the way back and the wind direction didn't help with that today (not eating the cake I took with me was probably a factor too.:blush:)

A fraction over 34 miles at 11.6 mph average. Plenty of other cyclists out and about - it must be Easter.

DSC0006065.jpg

Usual stop near the top of the High Park climb.

DSC0006068.jpg

Looking in the direction of Church Stretton from near to Shooting Box. The snow is from a couple of nights ago.

DSC0006069.jpg

Looking in the direction I'm headed as I wend my way up towards Pole Bank.

DSC0006071.jpg

A few people up at the summit and plenty more out of shot.

DSC0006073.jpg

View from the highest point of the Burway as I'm about to start my descent.

DSC0006075.jpg

Carding Mill Valley is very popular today. Bet you can't get in the cafe.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Back home in the flat lands. Mrs Dave is just getting over a cold, so I was surprised when she said she was up for a tandem ride.

Down to Toft, then Kingston and the Eversdens, new lambs in the fields. At this early stage my index fingers were cold and they never did warm up!
Through Harlton and Haslingfield then over the A10, no stopping.
The small tributary to the Cam had burst it's banks and there were plenty of puddles and mini lakes in fields. From Newton to Great Shelford and then to Grantchester. We stopped on the bridge to eat some mini eggs

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

The willow trees are bravely venturing into leaf.

Back home via Coton and Madingley Hill. 25 unspring like miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/1483613856

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a week. Bug and weather. Both very limiting indeed. But I grabbed the last opportunity of the week to Zap the Zero. I took the standard route out through the lanes to cross Longdon Marsh. Then the usual jink by Bushley to cross a very swollen River Severn at The Mythe. Thence it was by Twyning and around by my old pal the White Rabbit for Strensham. Down at Upton the newly raised road is complete. Blimey, that was quick! There's a very short widened section now followed by the narrowing for the bridge so I'm prepared for numptie overtakers and the subsequent heavy braking. I should have thought first before heading down New Street. The flood gate was closed. D'oh - I knew this really. Anyway no problem to climb Tunnel Hill and round by Clive's Farm for the Brotheridge Green run back. Seems my body is working OK but my coughing says more about my chest. 36 smiles

Today's ride hopefully signalled the beginning of my riding picking up again after a torrid few months of snow, illness and injury. I'm 1,000 miles behind last year.

The plan was to ride to Denstone the long way round picking up some needed explorer squares. The downside was a significant amount of climbing for the first 55 miles; about 4,000 ft. Not much by some counts but significantly hilly for round here.

Set off at 7am to ride the 3 miles, 450ft of climb to the start. Got there in reasonable time and after long, @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds joined me. Onto Ashby where we met @Lilliburlero but I was starting to feel any longish drag uphill in my legs. From Ashby, we headed along rolling roads to Burton and then the climbs started peaking out on top of Hanbury Hill. The descent at the point was a little steep for me to take quickly but I soon caught the others up.

Through Marchington, the climbing began again through often muddy roads toward Uttoxeter. 40 miles and lots of climbing completed. I think it was the climbs over the next 12 miles to the cafe stop that finished me off. Whilst I was able to get up the hills, it was much slower than last year causing me to fall behind repeatedly. There just wasn't enough flat land or straight descent for my legs to recover. The worst bit was Nabb Lane to Alton, chased by dogs and unable to maintain anything above 6-7mph. The others were a good 2-3 mins quicker than me over these endless 2 miles!

Still, the cafe stop occurred at Denstone farm shop and was lovely but I must've looked tired as one of the staff commented on it!! I felt fairly monosyllabic until the cricket was mentioned!

The rolling ground toward Somerset Herbsall led to the decision for @13 rider and @Lilliburlero to go on ahead as @13 rider had an event to go to later. I didn't mind this at all as I was pretty much running on empty in my legs even though I'd recently eaten. @Supersuperleeds agreed to stay with me and get me home. I think if there were normal trains, I'd have been tempted to get one.

We pushed on toward Sudbury and the flat lands. I was able to maintain a reasonable speed on the flat despite the headwind but would struggle on any ride. We decided to stop at Suzies Farm Shop at Hilton for further refreshment. I got a chocolate scotch egg!! Superb! Many thanks to Suzie for serving us and helping despite being fully booked.

Following the stop, we progressed consistently and I felt better once I hit my commuting route. Knowledge of what's to come when one is tired helps greatly. A quick chocolate stop at the flooded Kegworth Lock at 90 miles before pushing onto home and an Imperial Century on Easter Ton-day!

So glad I made it to the end, thanks for putting up with me everyone. I think that much climbing was a little too much for me at the moment!

(Apologies, that got a little long!)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today's ride hopefully signalled the beginning of my riding picking up again after a torrid few months of snow, illness and injury. I'm 1,000 miles behind last year.

The plan was to ride to Denstone the long way round picking up some needed explorer squares. The downside was a significant amount of climbing for the first 55 miles; about 4,000 ft. Not much by some counts but significantly hilly for round here.

Set off at 7am to ride the 3 miles, 450ft of climb to the start. Got there in reasonable time and after long, @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds joined me. Onto Ashby where we met @Lilliburlero but I was starting to feel any longish drag uphill in my legs. From Ashby, we headed along rolling roads to Burton and then the climbs started peaking out on top of Hanbury Hill. The descent at the point was a little steep for me to take quickly but I soon caught the others up.

Through Marchington, the climbing began again through often muddy roads toward Uttoxeter. 40 miles and lots of climbing completed. I think it was the climbs over the next 12 miles to the cafe stop that finished me off. Whilst I was able to get up the hills, it was much slower than last year causing me to fall behind repeatedly. There just wasn't enough flat land or straight descent for my legs to recover. The worst bit was Nabb Lane to Alton, chased by dogs and unable to maintain anything above 6-7mph. The others were a good 2-3 mins quicker than me over these endless 2 miles!

Still, the cafe stop occurred at Denstone farm shop and was lovely but I must've looked tired as one of the staff commented on it!! I felt fairly monosyllabic until the cricket was mentioned!

The rolling ground toward Somerset Herbsall led to the decision for @13 rider and @Lilliburlero to go on ahead as @13 rider had an event to go to later. I didn't mind this at all as I was pretty much running on empty in my legs even though I'd recently eaten. @Supersuperleeds agreed to stay with me and get me home. I think if there were normal trains, I'd have been tempted to get one.

We pushed on toward Sudbury and the flat lands. I was able to maintain a reasonable speed on the flat despite the headwind but would struggle on any ride. We decided to stop at Suzies Farm Shop at Hilton for further refreshment. I got a chocolate scotch egg!! Superb! Many thanks to Suzie for serving us and helping despite being fully booked.

Following the stop, we progressed consistently and I felt better once I hit my commuting route. Knowledge of what's to come when one is tired helps greatly. A quick chocolate stop at the flooded Kegworth Lock at 90 miles before pushing onto home and an Imperial Century on Easter Ton-day!

So glad I made it to the end, thanks for putting up with me everyone. I think that much climbing was a little too much for me at the moment!

Despite the climbing I enjoyed today. Great company as usual, glad you did the write up I'm about ready for bed :tired:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Great write up @tallliman . It was a tough ride with loads a sharp climbs and mucked up potholed riddled single track lanes. It was pretty cold when the sun wasnt showing its face and the wind wasnt in our favour much throughout the ride.

Well done for getting round, great effort :cheers:

13 rider

Guru

Great effort getting the ton in Tom . I still feel slightly guilty at leaving you . As I'm normally start together finish together but we all knew about my commitment and thanks for you and @Supersuperleeds allowing me not too be too late . I think we all would never leave someone alone . Had 2.5 hours of full on effort to get back averaged about 17mph at least for this bit legs feeling it with all the climbing

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Great effort getting the ton in Tom . I still feel slightly guilty at leaving you . As I'm normally start together finish together but we all knew about my commitment and thanks for you and @Supersuperleeds allowing me not too be too late . I think we all would never leave someone alone . Had 2.5 hours of full on effort to get back averaged about 17mph at least for this bit legs feeling it with all the climbing

Don't worry about it, we were fine and happy for you to head off, glad you got back in time.

Top Bottom