Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My ride yesterday turned out to be really satisfying.

Earlier in the week @ColinJ and I had planned to do an imperial century on Good Friday. Our route was going to centre around the Mirfield hinterland and beyond. If either of us subsequently felt like doing less than the 100 miles we left ourselves the option of reducing it to a metric century and travelling to and from Mirfield by train as it doesn’t take long and the off peak fare with our railcard is very cheap. Unfortunately, by Tuesday the weather forecast was looking grim for Good Friday, Colin needed some more time to refine the route to avoid the busy bits and I was still not feeling in top nick due to a minor chest injury after being knocked off my bike by an idiot taxi driver the previous week. So a combination of all these factors led us to defer our ride until a couple of weeks time.

Surprisingly, by Thursday, the weather forecast had significantly improved as had my chest injury. The only adverse factor was the forecasted strong easterly wind which would not have been pleasant cycling into it for long periods. So I made a snap decision on Thursday evening and decided to take the early am train to York and ride back home to Littleborough. The initial route www.cycle.travel provided me with was 65 miles and included some roads (albeit very traffic quiet) in very dodgy areas on the outskirts of Leeds. So I adapted it to avoid these and rejigged my route to go through the small West Yorkshire town of Rothwell. This resulted in a total of 73 miles from York to Littleborough. I wanted to ride an imperial century so the shortfall of 27 miles needed to be added. I accounted for 6 miles by cycling to Todmorden to get the train in the morning. Then at the end of the route, on arrival back in Littleborough, I repeated my former work commute to Bury back which just happens to be a round trip of 21 miles.

My main intention of riding from York was to get full benefit of the easterly tailwind. This was partially achieved, the first 30 miles being more of a cross/tail wind. But in any event the strength of the wind was quite a bit lighter than forecasted.

On arrival at York I rode the 10 miles to Tadcaster which was almost entirely by cyclepath. Firstly, through York Racecourse then 6 miles or so on the cycle path that runs parallel to the very busy A64. Perfectly safe and traffic free but not very pleasant due to the close proximity of constant traffic noise.

Tadcaster is the home of John Smiths Brewery and their premises dominate the town. I didn’t consider popping in the Brewery Shop as I’ve been teetotal now for over 12 months!

From Tadcaster, my route took me on a mixture of quiet lanes and cyclepaths. After Rothwell, I skirted through the outskirts of Wakefield and Mirfield before eventually picking up NCN route 66 at Brighouse from where it is familiar territory all the way home. I was feeling a bit fatigued on reaching Littleborough but pressed on with the ‘required’ 21 miles to Bury and back. Apart from a bit of light rain early am as I cycled to Todmorden the day had been rain free up until then. However, as soon as I reached Bury the heavens opened and it began to rain very heavily along with a much stronger wind. So my last 10.5 miles were battling a vicious headwind and getting a good soaking. But despite that, it was a very enjoyable day out and my first imperial century of 2018.

I’ve set myself a target of 12 day imperial centuries for the year (so an average of one per month). Last year I completed 10 but these were all done between mid May and the end of September. I don’t fancy being up on dark unlit moorland roads with lots of miles to complete so late September/mid October is the latest in the year I will attempt a century ride. So with ‘one in the bag’ by the end of March I think I’m on track.

Attachments

• John Smiths Tadcaster.jpg
    John Smiths Tadcaster.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Canal Towpath between Elland and Sowerby Bridge.jpg
    Canal Towpath between Elland and Sowerby Bridge.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Cycle path adj A64.jpg
    Cycle path adj A64.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 48

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
in very dodgy areas on the outskirts of Leeds.

Looks like wise route planning avoiding those bits.

There's a part of Newcastle and a short stretch into Hartlepool where I adopt a policy of 'head down and keep pedalling'.

Good effort on the century.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Been a while since I took my camera (my smart phone camera is a POS) on a ride, but thought I would take it with me today to get a pic or two of the Merida Ride I bought in January. It has sat mainly gathering dust since then as I have been using less cherished bikes while waiting for the weather to improve. It finally dawned on me that I live in Ayrshire and ideal cycling conditions might happen on two days of the year! So despite the cold and the wind I set off for one of my local loops....
Screenshot (20).png

To be honest, the wind wasn't as much of an obstacle as I was fearing. Maybe it was the lighter bike, or maybe it's just because I am a bit on the slow side anyway; but it didn't seem to have as much effect as it normally does. It was still a long slow slog up the Brisbane Glen though, heading northeast into the cold wind!

The new Merida braving the wind up at Loch Thom:

DSC01678.JPG

A nice long descent down to Inverkip, from where I took the good quality cycle track which runs alongside the horrible busy main A78 road to Skelmorlie. Visited Strathclyde House in Skelmorlie for an omelette and chips (proper home made ones, very nice) before facing the short but steep climb off the main road to take the single track Meigle Road to the north end of Largs. It's a bit of a roller coaster road but well worth the extra climbing to avoid the main road, IMHO.. The main road is a 60 mph trunk road but bordered by the River Clyde on one side and a steep verge on the other. There's no room for error, and I mean DRIVER error - who I don't place much faith in.

View over the islands of Arran, Bute, and Cumbrae on a typically cold grey day near Largs..... (The gorse bushes in the foreground are the boundary of Routenburn golf course, 2nd fairway. Make sure you don't slice from the tee - assuming you're right handed - because you're not going to find your ball!).

DSC01685.JPG

A bit early to form an opinion on the Merida as that's it done just over 100 miles, but I'm quite impressed. The easier acceleration and smoother ride are the most noticeable benefits. From today's stats I can't claim that it's any faster but that might well be down to the wind. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's a cold grey day here of the sort where it's an effort to drag yourself out of doors. I did manage to this afternoon though and headed off for a 20 miler.

I headed up to the top of Lyth Hill this time, splashing through lots of run-off from the fields on the way then through the mud on the track to the top. A pause at the top to look at the view then down to Exfords Green and on to Arscott, Lea Cross and Hinton where I followed the signed cycle route to Pontesbury. I haven't been down this lane before and thought it quite a nice ride apart from the surface having suffered in places.

In Pontesbury I ended up riding the long way round the village then up the road to Habberley which is another I haven't cycled before and is a lot easier than the approach from the Minsterley side.

From Habberley I was back onto familiar ground as I headed for Pulverbatch and Wilderley (had a scare here when a pheasant ran out in front of me on a fast descent).

I toyed with the idea of heading for Leebotwood but with it being cold and turning back into the wind I thought better of it and headed the more direct way to Dorrington (splashing my way through an unexpected flood in a dip halfway down the hill) and Condover then back over Lyth Hill again.

Very wet roads and quite a few small floods. A few hardy cyclists out braving it too but not as many as the last few days.

23.6 miles at 12.2 mph average.

DSC0006056.jpg

Up at the top of Lyth Hill.

DSC0006058.jpg

This isn't flooding - the lane follows the brook for a short way. Whitwell Lane in Pontesbury.

DSC0006060.jpg

Pontesbury.

DSC0006061.jpg

In the hills between Habberley and Pulverbatch. There's a bit of fresh snow on the Stiperstones.

DSC0006063.jpg

View from near Wilderley.

DSC0006064.jpg

Bit of a water splash at Lyth Hill on my way back.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My ride yesterday turned out to be really satisfying.

Earlier in the week @ColinJ and I had planned to do an imperial century on Good Friday. Our route was going to centre around the Mirfield hinterland and beyond. If either of us subsequently felt like doing less than the 100 miles we left ourselves the option of reducing it to a metric century and travelling to and from Mirfield by train as it doesn’t take long and the off peak fare with our railcard is very cheap. Unfortunately, by Tuesday the weather forecast was looking grim for Good Friday, Colin needed some more time to refine the route to avoid the busy bits and I was still not feeling in top nick due to a minor chest injury after being knocked off my bike by an idiot taxi driver the previous week. So a combination of all these factors led us to defer our ride until a couple of weeks time.

Surprisingly, by Thursday, the weather forecast had significantly improved as had my chest injury. The only adverse factor was the forecasted strong easterly wind which would not have been pleasant cycling into it for long periods. So I made a snap decision on Thursday evening and decided to take the early am train to York and ride back home to Littleborough. The initial route www.cycle.travel provided me with was 65 miles and included some roads (albeit very traffic quiet) in very dodgy areas on the outskirts of Leeds. So I adapted it to avoid these and rejigged my route to go through the small West Yorkshire town of Rothwell. This resulted in a total of 73 miles from York to Littleborough. I wanted to ride an imperial century so the shortfall of 27 miles needed to be added. I accounted for 6 miles by cycling to Todmorden to get the train in the morning. Then at the end of the route, on arrival back in Littleborough, I repeated my former work commute to Bury back which just happens to be a round trip of 21 miles.

My main intention of riding from York was to get full benefit of the easterly tailwind. This was partially achieved, the first 30 miles being more of a cross/tail wind. But in any event the strength of the wind was quite a bit lighter than forecasted.

On arrival at York I rode the 10 miles to Tadcaster which was almost entirely by cyclepath. Firstly, through York Racecourse then 6 miles or so on the cycle path that runs parallel to the very busy A64. Perfectly safe and traffic free but not very pleasant due to the close proximity of constant traffic noise.

Tadcaster is the home of John Smiths Brewery and their premises dominate the town. I didn’t consider popping in the Brewery Shop as I’ve been teetotal now for over 12 months!

From Tadcaster, my route took me on a mixture of quiet lanes and cyclepaths. After Rothwell, I skirted through the outskirts of Wakefield and Mirfield before eventually picking up NCN route 66 at Brighouse from where it is familiar territory all the way home. I was feeling a bit fatigued on reaching Littleborough but pressed on with the ‘required’ 21 miles to Bury and back. Apart from a bit of light rain early am as I cycled to Todmorden the day had been rain free up until then. However, as soon as I reached Bury the heavens opened and it began to rain very heavily along with a much stronger wind. So my last 10.5 miles were battling a vicious headwind and getting a good soaking. But despite that, it was a very enjoyable day out and my first imperial century of 2018.

I’ve set myself a target of 12 day imperial centuries for the year (so an average of one per month). Last year I completed 10 but these were all done between mid May and the end of September. I don’t fancy being up on dark unlit moorland roads with lots of miles to complete so late September/mid October is the latest in the year I will attempt a century ride. So with ‘one in the bag’ by the end of March I think I’m on track.

Well done @Littgull - I've ridden the cycle path alongside the A64 and while it's serviceable it's neither picturesque or fun.
If you choose to repeat the run (or if anyone else is interested), there is a choice of quiet, gently undulating country lanes that run almost parallel to the A64 - either the old York Road, past the turning for Askham Richard and through Healaugh and Wighill, or at Askham Richard take the turning for the more direct and even quieter option through Bilborough and Catterton, which drops you onto the cycle path just short of Tad.
Both are much nicer to ride than that cycle path! ^_^

Slick

Guru
Been a while since I took my camera (my smart phone camera is a POS) on a ride, but thought I would take it with me today to get a pic or two of the Merida Ride I bought in January. It has sat mainly gathering dust since then as I have been using less cherished bikes while waiting for the weather to improve. It finally dawned on me that I live in Ayrshire and ideal cycling conditions might happen on two days of the year! So despite the cold and the wind I set off for one of my local loops.... View attachment 402370

To be honest, the wind wasn't as much of an obstacle as I was fearing. Maybe it was the lighter bike, or maybe it's just because I am a bit on the slow side anyway; but it didn't seem to have as much effect as it normally does. It was still a long slow slog up the Brisbane Glen though, heading northeast into the cold wind!

The new Merida braving the wind up at Loch Thom:

View attachment 402371

A nice long descent down to Inverkip, from where I took the good quality cycle track which runs alongside the horrible busy main A78 road to Skelmorlie. Visited Strathclyde House in Skelmorlie for an omelette and chips (proper home made ones, very nice) before facing the short but steep climb off the main road to take the single track Meigle Road to the north end of Largs. It's a bit of a roller coaster road but well worth the extra climbing to avoid the main road, IMHO.. The main road is a 60 mph trunk road but bordered by the River Clyde on one side and a steep verge on the other. There's no room for error, and I mean DRIVER error - who I don't place much faith in.

View over the islands of Arran, Bute, and Cumbrae on a typically cold grey day near Largs..... (The gorse bushes in the foreground are the boundary of Routenburn golf course, 2nd fairway. Make sure you don't slice from the tee - assuming you're right handed - because you're not going to find your ball!).

View attachment 402372

A bit early to form an opinion on the Merida as that's it done just over 100 miles, but I'm quite impressed. The easier acceleration and smoother ride are the most noticeable benefits. From today's stats I can't claim that it's any faster but that might well be down to the wind. Time will tell.
Nice looking ride, and nice looking bike. I've played that course a few times and wrecked my card more than once by slicing one right in the middle of those gorse bushes. :shy:

Nice effort. :thumbsup:

Saw two joggers, both in High Barns. Only saw one other cyclist though; a chap in Littleport, wheeling his hybrid along the pavement. I don't think I've ever seen such a rusty transmission - chain, cassette and chainrings were all bright orange!!! :wacko:

You should see the state of some of the bikes that come in to the shop:ohmy::blink:

Still as it's spring some nicer things have been in;a Ritte,original Holdsworth,a Reynolds tubed LeMond and an Ultra Galaxy.

A great effort, Brian - I wasn't expecting you to do much so soon after you were injured by that idiot taxi driver!

Thanks, @ColinJ.

I was relieved on Thursday when I could manage to stretch my arms out without any pain in my chest. I did wonder if doing a century ride would cause the injury to flare up again but I had a cunning bail out plan with either a backtrack to York train station of the options of either Garforth, Mirfield or Brighouse all with train stations very near my route. Thankfully I had no reoccurrence.

Top Bottom