Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
17km this morning down the leeds and Liverpool canal, ive passed this bridge loads of times but never seen it open.
IMG_1155.JPG

I did see one thing ive never seen before....a barge that's a sweet shop selling all my old favourites,unfortunately I had no money on me..

Attachments

• IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 73

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm beginning to think the rain is following me:sad: Up late after a night shift, so figured a nice easy ride in the sunshine up to WGP and back was in order. Out with the Yukon as the roads were wet, and off into the warm glow of Spring. Not for long, and after a few miles light rain started. Fortunately it didn't last, and a dry lap of the park ensued. The last 3 miles home were somewhat different. I believe they call them 'heavy showers':laugh: Call them what you like, I got soaked, and though I'd taken my not so waterproof jacket there seemed little point in stopping and putting it on so close to home.
21 somewhat damp miles.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another 50k to add to the challenge total, and a good piece of exercise towards The Plan (a long Summer Ride this year). I know why the body responds well to this sort of thing, but it still amuses me as to how it is possible to leave home feeling like a lethargic blancmange and yet, twenty minutes later, thinking its possible to take on the world. ^_^
A great morning out in the sun.

This at Wilford Bridge overlooking The Deben.

photo.JPG

C R

Guru
It wasn't raining this morning, and have today off, so after droping the monkeys at school I thought I would try a proper long ride for the first time (don't laugh, please, I am novice at this). Rode down to Powick by the Carrington Bridge. Had never used that cycle "track", and I am not sure I will again. Whoever designed it should be made to ride it up and down for all eternity, narrow, irregular surface, mud, broken down cars parked on it. I thought it didn't bode well for the day, but persevered.

From Powick I headed towards Upton. The temperature was nice, hardly any wind and not much traffic, and in general respectful of my space, except for a qarry lorry driving very close behind me in the narrow bends before Callow End. Not sure what he was expecting to achieve, as I was riding close to the speed limit, anyhow, pulled over in Callow to let him through and carried on. The rest of the ride to Upton was nice and uneventful, jut a bit of head wind after Hanley Castle. I love the view from the road between Powick and Upton, you have the Malverns to the right, and the sloping east bank of the Severn on the left. The road goes up and down a bit, so get some fast segments and some really slow ones, but got to Upton in under an hour, which was my target.

Stopped in Upton by the bridge, for a breather, a drink and a banana.

20180329_102533[1].jpg

Sat on a bench for 10 minutes or so and saw a barge going past loaded with sand, I handn't realised there was still goods being carried along the Severn.

After my rest set off again, heading east towards the A38 through the flood defence works. After the A38 took towards Pershore, but decided that that may be a bridge too far for today, so turned left and rode through Earls Croome and Kinnersley towards Croome. The clouds were starting to look a bit menacing, so didn't stop at Croome, and just carried on towards Wadborough. In there sat for another bit of a breather and some contemplation looking at the Malverns.

20180329_111250[1].jpg

After that, onwards home for a nice 22 miles in about 2 hours, including breaks. Felt good, will have to do it again.

13 rider

Guru
Another 50k to add to the challenge total, and a good piece of exercise towards The Plan (a long Summer Ride this year). I know why the body responds well to this sort of thing, but it still amuses me as to how it is possible to leave home feeling like a lethargic blancmange and yet, twenty minutes later, thinking its possible to take on the world. ^_^
A great morning out in the sun.

This at Wilford Bridge overlooking The Deben.

View attachment 401995
Didn't Jay fancy a ride this morning :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Day off work woke this morning to glorious sunshine but had arranged to take mum to a doctor's appointment at 1030 which would also involve a cafe trip to meet mums sister. Sat in the cafe looking out the window watching a few cyclists passing but noticed the cloud building . By the time I got home had dinner it had properly cloudy . Out the door at 1245 . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Barrow and up the long drag of Paudy Lane at the top it's starts to rain so quick pause while the rain jacket was donned .Into Wymeswold via the lovely descent of Narrow lane . Stopped for a chat with a work colleague who was working at the side of the road he decided I was nuts when I told him I done 18 miles and still had 15 to go non cyclist just don't get it . Hoton ,Barrow ,Quorn around the back of Woodhouse and a couple of climbs before home ,The hill by Swithland woods then the horrid Warren hill which somehow I got my 2nd best time on ,Newtown Linford and home . Nice ride which would have been better in the sunshine but hayho another metric half in the bag 32.7 miles at a good average of 16.6 mph

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm staying in Mold with my sister for a couple of days as my mum is in hospital in Chester.
Ooh look.... what's that in the back of the car? Would it be a mountain bike........?

I set off from Janes at earlyish o'clock and drove to the Moel Famau car park. Having no money I ditched the car in a layby and set off up the big hill
IMG_0715.JPG

There were some remnant autumn colours about.
A steady chug of 8% for a while led me to a nice view along the forestry road
IMG_0717.JPG

The top of that is my destination.
Down the hill and around to the right. At the end of the logging road was a bit of single track that led to a gate. Then a 12% on short, cropped turf
IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Then a gate, followed by a swamp. There were some interesting moments.

Then the ride to the top. I say ride, but I did have to get off and walk
IMG_0726.JPG

Wet, slippy, and at the bit at the top of the pic it was 23%.
Through a gate and I rode the last little bit

938C6617-9418-4D08-A671-2F078183286A.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

A snowy Snowdonia was spied through the clag.
I decided to retrace my route rather than annoy walkers. Again I walked this bit as I didn't fancy an off on my lonesome.....
7C83CCA7-9D6F-4703-BBA4-66FEA5539FFB.JPG

Just shy of 10 miles, 33mph top speed and an average of 6. Something!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1479248334

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Still trying to get some miles in the legs, so just 29 miles around the lanes and tow-paths today. Did intend doing a few more but got waylaid listening to Allman Brothers videos on Youtube before I set off and thus lost an hour of riding time! Looking at the weather forecast I think it's rain for the remainder of the weekend :-(

13 rider

Guru
Working tomorrow so last chance to get a decent ride in today . I have an event coming up at the end of April which features a monster climb . Most recent rides have featured one Good climb but this morning was going to have lots of climbs strung together trying to get my climbing legs in shape . Newtown Linford and up the first climb of the day Markfield lane steep start then long drag . Out to Thornton drop to the reservoir then climb out short and steep this one . Around the back of Bosworth and it's constantly up and down . Loop back to Thornton and more climbing to Markfield . Catching a fellow cyclist heading for hill lane ! . You turn left onto it and instantly hit a 8% ramp . Passed him halfway up . Then a quick downhill on priory lane before the steepest climb of the day . Again had a target rider ahead who was grinding up it passed him before the top I getting the hang of this climbing lark . Turned left for more climbing up Whitcroft lane .When home I discovered I'm the fastest on this strava segment this year :rolleyes::becool:. One hour in and 16 miles done and 1500ft of climbing . That's most of the climbing done quick descent of the Beacon into Quorn and took the hilly wood lane back to Rothley ,Cropston and home 32.4 miles done with 2300 ft of climbing at an average of 16.6 mph well happy with that legs ache now

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick ride out this morning before the rain was expected to roll in. I decided to pretty much repeat my route out to Atcham and Upton Magna then back through town that I did earlier in the week.

It's a bit on the cool side (back to two fleeces) but had that spring-like feel of a fresh morning ahead of a nice day. As before, I headed over Lyth Hill at the start and enjoyed the views. The A49 wasn't as busy as I'd expected which is always nice.

Condover to Atcham was taken at a slightly more leisurely pace than I usually do. There was a headwind but quite light so I can't blame that. I took the scenic route through Attingham Park and it seemed that everymotorist and his dog was also headed into the park. It was a steady stream of vehicles and the car park almost full already.One of the staff was out placing markers in the adjacent field ready to use that for the overflow.

I was waved past by couple of touring cyclists at the exit of the park and headed on my way to Upton Magna where the cyclists coming the other way were all on lightweight bikes. Good to see people out.

After plenty of rain yesterday evening I knew the old canal path would be pretty mucky so I headed into Ditherington and for a change followed the signposted cyclists route. It's okay but better to stay on the main road if you want to make progress.

After following Sydney Avenue alongside the river I repeated my detour round town to enter The Quarry from the Welsh Bridge end and leave town by crossing the English Bridge and heading up Sutton Lane on my way home.

22.8 miles at 13.1 mph average. Still dry at the time of writing - perhaps I should have stayed out longer.

DSC0006043.jpg

Not a bad morning.

DSC0006045.jpg

At the gates of Attingham Park.

DSC0006046.jpg

Attingham Hall.

DSC0006048.jpg

Following the towpath at Castlefields. There's a narrow road just out of shot which I'm about to take to pass the prison.

DSC0006051.jpg

On Victoria Avenue now. A few people are taking a boat trip on Sabrina.

DSC0006054.jpg

Attempting an arty angle looking towards Kingsland Bridge. Not sure it works. The post is where the guide rope for an old ferry crossing used to be attached.

DSC0006055.jpg

Daffodils and the former Trouncer & Co Brewery.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A routine, though slightly extended ride along the lanes to Frampton and Arlingham today. An unremarkable but pleasant ride in slightly drizzly weather. Arrived home on 30.2 miles ....... bringing my grand total since starting cycling 9 1/4 years ago to 20,000 miles. @cosmicbike beat me to that landmark a few days ago, and got there a lot faster than me. Still feels like quite a landmark, though, so I'm pouring myself a beer right now and contemplating the places I've been over that time. What strikes me most, though, is what a great bunch of people I've been able to share my rides with. Don't get me wrong, I love just going off on my own exploring, but some of my favourite memories are the friends I've ridden with and the great new friends I've made through cycling.
A rogue's gallery, including a few fellow Cyclechatters: (apologies to anyone I've missed):
Club photo.jpg Club ride to Ross.jpg My 100th club ride.jpg Bernie & JP following the bore.jpg On Llangynidr Mountain.jpg Over the Hills and Far Away audax.jpg The 80 mile gang.jpg The Glos Bros.JPG With Andy, Cotswold BHF Ride.jpg With Banjo.JPG
Here's to the next 20,000, and the new friends I hope to make. Maybe I'll bump into a few of you out on the road some time soon.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom