Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It was wet this morning so I decided to go out on the Rockhopper up to the Ainsdale nature reserve. The off road trail there was quite dry yesterday when me and Mrs R walked it, but after some heavy overnight rain, it was waterlogged this morning, which made for good fun. From the trail I went over the railway at Fisherman's Path and down to the squirrel reserve at Freshfield where I stopped to speak to the volunteers about joining the National Trust. We have been thinking of re-joining after leaving a few years ago, and they gave me some leaflets about it.

Then I headed back up to Freshfield station and back to Fisherman's Path, this time going down to where it meets the dunes at the beach, turning round and heading back to the Coast Road. It was great fun riding the old MTB through 4 inch deep mud in places, up and down the trail's lumps and bumps, and throwing it round puddles and potholes, as well as taking a few head on when I saw them too late, or misjudged the depth of a puddle. Got home after 17 miles, covered in mud and having to leave my outer layers outside where I will hose them down along with the bike later.

Just one photo taken my Mrs R, of my back just after getting home - those rear mudguards that used to come free with MBR really aren't up to much

upload_2018-3-27_13-20-11.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Drowned rat this morning on the ride home from work. Having ridden in last night in warm weather clothing as the sun was shining and it was lovely and warm, I had to work hard to get warm coming home. Not helped by my waterproof Endura FS-260 no longer being waterproof, despite being treated last week. Just re-read the instructions for the Nikwax In Wash, and I only used half the amount I should:rolleyes:, so will try again this weekend.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another quick ride to make the most of it being dry today (tomorrow doesn't look promising). I used one of my regular loops: Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Cantlop, Condover, Lyth Hill.

It's a little breezy out and supposedly a north-westerley which is odd as it seemed to be against me while I was heading to Longnor.:scratch:

The roads were fairly quiet, I disturbed a kestrel near Acton Burnell and had a driver ask for directions near Pitchford. Other than that, pleasantly uneventful.

The wind was harder to ride into from around Cantlop so I opted for the hillier way back over Lyth Hill hoping it would be a little more sheltered (it was up to a point).

Just over 24 miles this time at 13.6 mph average and this trip has taken me past 1,000 miles for the year to date.:okay:

No photos again as was focusing on the ride.

U

User19783

Just a short ride today , mainly to do some fettling on my new to me bike.,
Mango 3speed
Unfortunately i gave the bike a good clean and a pre tide check, but within 5 miles the rain came down and lovely white bike is not so white:sad:
Overlooking Oxford
Great ride
DC401D3B-90AD-4B9E-8974-04748A9A9990.jpeg
DD50C8EC-1179-4474-95BB-5DAF1FBC0F85.jpeg

gavgav

Guru
Had an absolute sod of a day, both on the work front and car front, with expensive repairs required at Honda and Halfords just proving their incompetence is worse than I thought! So, needed a ride to chill a bit.

There were some dark clouds about, but no rain forecast.......as I set out in what was a strong and cold wind, which made progress hard at times.

Just stuck to a loop around Shrewsbury, heading to Meole, Nobold, Radbrook, Copthorne, Shelton, Oxon, Porthill and into the Quarry. There had been a few spots of light rain, on the route so far, but nothing worth worrying about........

I got stopped by a chap, as I walked the bike over Porthill bridge. He was impressed with the brightness of my front light and has been looking for one for his bike and so I gave him the lowdown (Cateye volt 700) expensive but superb!

Continued along the river towpath and as I reached the weir it started to rain and became a downpour, which soaked me and put a bit of a literal dampener on the rest of the ride to Belle Vue, Reabrook, Sutton Farm and home.

Everything is now drying off.

14.5 miles at 11.6 mph avg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Just as I was locking the front door this morning, Mr Binman decided to leave the paper recycling bin right at the bottom of the steps blocking my exit...despite a sign right there saying "DO NOT BLOCK ENTRANCE". Friggin a55h01e. So of course the bike being the heavy lump that it is crashed into the bin knocking it over. Wish I'd caught Mr Binman. I'd have had a few words to say to him.
Dressed up in my full rain gear I took it steady through Moss Bank Park and down Chorley Old Road to the diabetic centre where there 2 other people. A new ride leader I'd not met before but who seemed to know me and one of the ladies who turns up regularly. They'd been debating doing the ride due to the lovely weather (the kind of drizzle that soaks everything) and low numbers...then I turned up. Ha, sorry folks.:giggle:
A few minutes later we were joined by another new member and it was decided to go ahead with the ride.
Ian asked me to take the lead while he and Jean would look after Kath at the back. Argh the responsibility of ride leader :blink:
I decided to just let the bike coast till we turned off into Queens Park and I pootled along at 8ish mph for a while. Before venturing into the woods alongside the river I glanced in the rear view mirror and decide to pull over. Jean was about 20 feet behind me and Kath who said she wasn't all that confident on a bike yet was a good 100 feet back with Ian. She'd froze while negotiating the right hand turn off the road. 30+ years of cycling and I sometimes forget how perilous the roads seem to inexperienced cyclists.
Through the park at sub 7mph speeds was relaxing but not helping me keep warm. Onto a short section of road and under the railway then Jean took the lead along the Middlebrook to Lostock rail station. I thought her 10mph might have been a little quick for poor Kath but she was keeping up and chatting to Ian.
At Lostock we did a 180 and stopped for a breather before heading back. At this point Ian's bike decided it too needed a rest and proceeded to lie down on the drive side with a clang. Poor derailleur. It survived though.
Looking like a bunch of drowned rats we headed back again at a slightly faster pace...It's downhill ish. Back along the trail and through Queens Park to arrive at the diabetic centre. All agreed it was worth the soaking we got.
I wasn't finished however and don't have the luxury of getting into a warm dry car to go home in. I slogged my way up Chorley Old Road mostly at less than 5mph and soon as I made it into the estate having emerged from Moss Bank Park I had a hypo. Typical. It had stopped drizzling though :smile:
As per usual, dragging the bike up the steps to the front door was a mission in itself but once inside and changed, Shannon made me some chicken strips and mash ^_^
10 miles today. Hopefully tomorrow will be nicer.

Dark46

Veteran
Ok, my first ride away from home and only the second time really I've been with a friend on a bike since my wife died back in June.

So I'm on holiday last week I was in Australia and this week I'm in New Zealand on the South Island staying at Motueka. Graham who I'm staying with rode with the KCC earlier this year when he was staying me. @Donger mentioned it on a post that someone from NZ went along to the Forest of Dean.

So this time it was my turn to be the stranger in a far away place. Plus showing the KCC kit further from home than it's been seen before. Taking away @Donger record from wherever he went in Europe. So the sign today said I was 18676kms or 11604miles from London, so you really can't get much further around the world from home. Sorry mate.

As I've no been on a bike for a while I was a bit worried about the level of my fitness. But to be honest it want a issue.
We cycled from Motueka to Kaiteriteri beach and back which had a few slight inclines and dips in it. I have got go pro footage which I will look at when I get back.

Just fantastic scenery and the roads were food apart from the inside gullies.
The traffic left plenty of room and waited behind on the bends until they were sure the road was clear of oncoming traffic.

On the way back we stopped for a Boysen Berry ice cream which went down very nicely.

So just over 17 miles in the blazing sun, not the best idea but plenty of factor 50 was used and I had by leg and arm covers on too.

Just really glad to be back in the saddle even if the bike didn't fit properly, that's one of the reasons the distance was short. Graham is 6'2 so the saddle was lowered but there nothing that could be done about the reach of the stem. Graham was on his Scott MTB and I was on his Norco road bike.

I've told Him he can keep my spare KCC top as u will be but g a new one at the next order.

Attachments

• IMG_20180328_185609_885.jpg
    IMG_20180328_185609_885.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180328_135130.jpg
    IMG_20180328_135130.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20180328_124354_089.jpg
    IMG_20180328_124354_089.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180328_115234.jpg
    20180328_115234.jpg