Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After doing a tip run before lunch I managed to get out this afternoon for a ride over the Long Mynd.

Route was Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Church Stretton, Little Stretton, Minton, Hamperley, the ascent of Nutbatch to the gliding club, Pole Bank, Shooting Box, The Burway, Carding Mill Valley, All Stretton, Acton Burnell, Cantlop, Condover and home via Lyth Hill.

The route out was fairly uneventful, apart from having to wait an age for a gap in the traffic on the A49. There were quite a few other cyclists out and judging by the pristine dayglow kit, probably on their first rides of the season.

Between Church Stretton and Little Stretton riders with numbers on started to come the other way and continued to do so as far as Hamperley. I believe this was the Shropshire Devil Sportive. Just after Little Stretton I also came up behind another rider who was going mostly at a similar speed to me. It was temping to try and catch him but this was the section with the toughest climbs of the ride so I paced myself. I did keep up though until the Nutbatch climb where another mountain biker overtook me and I stopped for a couple of photos so I lost both riders.

Joining the Portway it was surprisingly warm as air from down in the valley was lifted up by the ridge. This lasted until I was past the gliding club where it very quickly got quite cold once away from the ridge-lift.

Being a Sunday there were lots of visitors up on the hills in their cars and I had a few passes on the single track lane that weren't terribly considerate. Having had a good ride so far this got me down a bit.

I got to the summit at Pole Bank as a group of walkers were just leaving. Once out of the way the place was pretty much silent apart from the drone of a distant aeroplane and the air was really clear so that the hills stood out for many miles in every direction. I could have stayed there for ages just enjoying the quiet and looking at the view.

I decided to head down the Burway. While taking a photo near the summit of The Burway one of the riders with numbers came past. I asked what the event was (didn't know at the time) but got totally blanked. I know you've just had a mega climb but I've climbed that high too and would have the civility to answer a question at the top.:dry:

The descent of The Burway was fabulous. I chased an MG part of the way down 'til another photo stop, then chased a Discovery after that. Just before the cattle grid at the bottom I turned off onto the bridleway that links to Carding Mill Valley. This is busy with walkers and has deep drainage channels across the path every few yards so isn't quick.

Back on tarmac I headed down the valley and was heading north again. The A49 was quiet so easy to cross and I had a fairly good run back, although not as quick as I'd hoped as the northerly wind had picked up a bit.

I took the longer way back via Acton Burnell, then over Lyth Hill where I cought another rider on a much sportier bike. He had an excuse though as it was his first proper ride of the year and he'd done a metric century. Lives locally so I may see him out and about.

41.1 miles for the day. 12 mph average. 30 mph max (may have been while chasing that MG down the Burway;))

DSC0006021.jpg

Near to All Stretton with Caer Caradoc as a backdrop.

DSC0006022.jpg

Minton. Pretty sure you two shouldn't be out on the road.

DSC0006024.jpg

On the climb up Nutbatch.

DSC0006026.jpg

View from the ridge as I'm about to join the Portway.

DSC0006027.jpg

The gliding club. Not too much wind today as you see from the windsock.

DSC0006028.jpg

Glider has just launched and banks away to find an updraught.

DSC0006029.jpg

View from Pole Bank. It doesn't look as good in the photo but it was really clear as far as Cadair Idris which is about 70 miles away.

DSC0006037.jpg

Good place for posing the bike near the top of the steepest part of the Burway.

DSC0006038.jpg

View from the Burway into Carding Mill Valley.

DSC0006039.jpg

The National Trust pavilion in Carding Mill Valley. It's the building with the pink roof in the previous pic.

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
At last sunshine and while it wasn't that warm, I decided on my usual Sunday Ride to Baden and back. There are two routes I can take, so I decided to take the road route out and the cycle route back. That should have been 46kms and being as I'd damaged my elbows and knees on last weeks ride, I thought that would be enough. It was totally dry I decided on the Roubaix, though some of the route is gravel paths, they are usually quite compacted.... and it is my favourite bike (Don't tell the others!) :-)

So after an uneventful trip out I stopped for my normal Coffee break and a rather nice Fruit and Nut Bread with Gruyere cheese. On emerging from Starbucks the sun was shining and it was warming up nicely. I pretty much decided at that point that I would be out for the rest of the day.

So I headed out onto the cycle path home and then diverted to Zürich Airport, that gives lots of options for extensions. First I headed out to Bassersdorf, just as I was approaching I saw a Steam Train going past me so, I raced into the station to try and get a picture. There aren't many Steam trains in Switzerland as it was electrified very early. From there I decided to head down to Greifensee, for a loop round the lake then back home.

Fantastic day out and a nice surprise to see 101km's - My second 100 this month, which certainly wasn't planned.

olPH9l4CSJy9LuvDSYrqQQ.jpg
Lunch Stop in Baden

J7cfs7VATRa4wGbQV0DsRA.jpg
This sign reminded me of my misadventure last week. It was a gravel slope, last week, not railway tracks, but the end result was pretty much the same.

11+0A1FzSxWZawE6eMZrbQ.jpg
The steam train!

OzV6NBhFSyudt83fP8WdOg.jpg
An interesting new sign.

koqV+pqdRMGI9gO3i%SOMQ.jpg
And the Greifensee.

gavgav

Guru
After doing a tip run before lunch I managed to get out this afternoon for a ride over the Long Mynd.

Route was Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Church Stretton, Little Stretton, Minton, Hamperley, the ascent of Nutbatch to the gliding club, Pole Bank, Shooting Box, The Burway, Carding Mill Valley, All Stretton, Acton Burnell, Cantlop, Condover and home via Lyth Hill.

The route out was fairly uneventful, apart from having to wait an age for a gap in the traffic on the A49. There were quite a few other cyclists out and judging by the pristine dayglow kit, probably on their first rides of the season.

Between Church Stretton and Little Stretton riders with numbers on started to come the other way and continued to do so as far as Hamperley. I believe this was the Shropshire Devil Sportive. Just after Little Stretton I also came up behind another rider who was going mostly at a similar speed to me. It was temping to try and catch him but this was the section with the toughest climbs of the ride so I paced myself. I did keep up though until the Nutbatch climb where another mountain biker overtook me and I stopped for a couple of photos so I lost both riders.

Joining the Portway it was surprisingly warm as air from down in the valley was lifted up by the ridge. This lasted until I was past the gliding club where it very quickly got quite cold once away from the ridge-lift.

Being a Sunday there were lots of visitors up on the hills in their cars and I had a few passes on the single track lane that weren't terribly considerate. Having had a good ride so far this got me down a bit.

I got to the summit at Pole Bank as a group of walkers were just leaving. Once out of the way the place was pretty much silent apart from the drone of a distant aeroplane and the air was really clear so that the hills stood out for many miles in every direction. I could have stayed there for ages just enjoying the quiet and looking at the view.

I decided to head down the Burway. While taking a photo near the summit of The Burway one of the riders with numbers came past. I asked what the event was (didn't know at the time) but got totally blanked. I know you've just had a mega climb but I've climbed that high too and would have the civility to answer a question at the top.:dry:

The descent of The Burway was fabulous. I chased an MG part of the way down 'til another photo stop, then chased a Discovery after that. Just before the cattle grid at the bottom I turned off onto the bridleway that links to Carding Mill Valley. This is busy with walkers and has deep drainage channels across the path every few yards so isn't quick.

Back on tarmac I headed down the valley and was heading north again. The A49 was quiet so easy to cross and I had a fairly good run back, although not as quick as I'd hoped as the northerly wind had picked up a bit.

I took the longer way back via Acton Burnell, then over Lyth Hill where I cought another rider on a much sportier bike. He had an excuse though as it was his first proper ride of the year and he'd done a metric century. Lives locally so I may see him out and about.

41.1 miles for the day. 12 mph average. 30 mph max (may have been while chasing that MG down the Burway;))

View attachment 401563
Near to All Stretton with Caer Caradoc as a backdrop.

View attachment 401564
Minton. Pretty sure you two shouldn't be out on the road.

View attachment 401565
On the climb up Nutbatch.

View attachment 401566
View from the ridge as I'm about to join the Portway.

View attachment 401567
The gliding club. Not too much wind today as you see from the windsock.

View attachment 401568
Glider has just launched and banks away to find an updraught.

View attachment 401569
View from Pole Bank. It doesn't look as good in the photo but it was really clear as far as Cadair Idris which is about 70 miles away.

View attachment 401570
Good place for posing the bike near the top of the steepest part of the Burway.

View attachment 401571
View from the Burway into Carding Mill Valley.

View attachment 401572
The National Trust pavilion in Carding Mill Valley. It's the building with the pink roof in the previous pic.

We could see the Longmynd quite clearly from Kinver Edge today :sun:

Had a quiet-ish day here; slept in, leisurely lunch (home baked bread and a very fine brie) and watched the F1. But the sun was out and there wasn't much in the way of wind - and it was enough to entice me out on the bike this evening.

Went out via Downham Common and Black Bank to Littleport. From there, rode down Parsons Lane, Main Street and Victoria Street out to Sandhill. Had to wait for the Kings Cross to Kings Lynn train to pass the level crossing there. Turned right onto Branch Bank and headed out towards Padnal Bank. Wasn't looking forward to the short but sharp climbs in the next few miles, but managed to get over them without any difficulty. :dance:

At the top of Padnal Bank it's another right turn before riding through Queen Adelaide and up and down a few more hilly bits before rolling into Ely via High Barns, then turning right on the Lynn Road to take me down Cam Drive. Stopped at Stour Green to eat the banana that I'd stashed in my jacket pocket before crossing the A10 and passing the new Leisure Park. Then it's the long but shallow drag up to Orwell Pit and the nice leg-stretching drop into Downham. Returned home via Bield Drove and California.

16 miles for me, one of the more challenging rides in the area for the mileage done. Saw plenty of daffs and blackthorn flowering along Branch Bank, and on Padnal Bank there was a section of hedge made entirely from forsythia. You couldn't miss it, what with the bright yellow flowers. And to cap a lovely ride, the last couple of miles I found myself enjoying the most wonderful sunset, with the skies painted in vibrant shades of orange and purple. :wub:

Saw two joggers, both in High Barns. Only saw one other cyclist though; a chap in Littleport, wheeling his hybrid along the pavement. I don't think I've ever seen such a rusty transmission - chain, cassette and chainrings were all bright orange!!! :wacko:

Slightly better weather tempted me out on the HDW club ride yesterday,
Dstination was changed to the previous week's intended one of Lockey's Farm,Arborfield

Outward route through small roadsfrom Winkfield turning south through Sindlesham, and returning via Drift Road

It was warm enough though weather did not quite live up to the forecast and the sun was almost never seen
On the way way one of our number had a puncture, which returned again later (we never found the cause which was worrying)

My training indoors seemed to have paid off and I felt comfortable.

49.35 miles @ 14.8 mph, about 1400 feet climbed

My ride today...

....went belly up. Day off work, sun’s out and it was warm enough for me to switch to fingerless gloves though not quite shorts time just yet! So I thought I’d squeeze in a cheeky 50k to get more points on the board for the monthly challenge and take advantage of the nice weather ahead of apocalypse part III...

...sadly the “ghost shifting” I was encountering on yesterday’s forum ride has got worse, to the point where I can’t really get out of the saddle and give it some. I managed to tweak the tension yesterday which alleviated the problem for a while but not today. On closer inspection it may be that my RD hanger is slightly bent. The route I was hoping to do involved a couple of good climbs and I decided not to chance it, as the load seems to make it jump even more.

So I limped it around the town and got home having only done 5 miles or so. Ah well, bike shop it is then.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Took a day off work as today looked to be the 'best' day this week and we've stopped teaching for Easter. Ravensthorpe CC's slowest riders were off out on their 'Monday Meander' - mostly retirees and a slow, steady ride. I'm still getting fitter and took the opportunity to join them on a ride to Marsden: https://www.strava.com/activities/1472811523

38 miles covered, in shorts, and in the sun.

Too Tyred

Can't not share this abomination!

Strava trying to ruin my first ride of Spring! Apparently I averaged 28mph! Sign me up Team Sky!
29634919_1610301942381326_1502975573_o.png

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Out with the council group again today. I wasn't feeling all that sociable today and felt like an outsider. Everyone else chatting and laughing and then me...quiet as a mouse and avoiding everyone. I wasn't rude though. Even had a giggle as one remarked about my bike having some dust on it. It's usually sparkling when I arrive but I was in Wales yesterday climbing a bloody big slate quarry so didn't get a chance to polish the bike :tongue:
Along the Middlebrook Trail again to Tesco where myself and a few others sat baking in the sun. I did get talking to another chap there as I supped my tea.
Going back I was able to put away my rainjacket/windproof and wore my summer mitts intstead of the usual full finger jobbies. That was nice.
Back home after crawling up Chorley Old Road slower than a slug in a salt mine. 15 miles. Shannons off school for 2 weeks and made me a cuppa and bacon and egg when I got in. ^_^ Need a nap.

DCLane

Can't not share this abomination!

Strava trying to ruin my first ride of Spring! Apparently I averaged 28mph! Sign me up Team Sky! View attachment 401633

That's up near me :hello: . I was along there earlier and later en route to Marsden on my club's slow ride (https://www.strava.com/activities/1472811523) as part of post-operation rehab to increase mileage before a 10 mile TT next month.

If you're doing 28mph average have a word with the Sowerby Bros. cycle team. If slower then there's lots of others out and about locally ...

Too Tyred

That's up near me :hello: . I was along there earlier and later en route to Marsden on my club's slow ride (https://www.strava.com/activities/1472811523) as part of post-operation rehab to increase mileage before a 10 mile TT next month.

If you're doing 28mph average have a word with the Sowerby Bros. cycle team. If slower then there's lots of others out and about locally ...

Hi DC. There's no way I averaged that speed (since deleted the strava entry)! That loop as you probably know isn't 13 miles - more like 22 and I did it in about 1hr 30 not 28 minutes, but I wasn't clock watching. Just a massive GPS glitch.

Ahh Sowerby's, they did a good job on my gearing a few months back! Top shop! Funnily enough, I was thinking about joining RCC (and doing some 10m TTs) until I had a full winter of no riding. I'll get a few more miles under my belt and maybe think again. That Marsden ride looked good.

DCLane

Ahh Sowerby's, they did a good job on my gearing a few months back! Top shop! Funnily enough, I was thinking about joining RCC (and doing some 10m TTs) until I had a full winter of no riding. I'll get a few more miles under my belt and maybe think again. That Marsden ride looked good.

You'd be welcome. Don't worry about the miles - there's everything from slow Saturday/Sunday/Monday rides to eyeballs-out Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday rides. Also you're covered for your first 4 rides under their insurance. Holmfirth on a Saturday morning's always a good start. Whilst I only ride with them once every 2-3 weeks they're useful for route-finding - the Marsden route out was new to me as well.

I'm out this Saturday but probably on their longer ride with my 13yo as he's not racing this weekend, or to Holmfirth if it's a bit wet. Have a look on their Facebook page for info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/41554187145

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a bit of a leg stretch this afternoon on a variation of one of my regular routes taking in Lyth Hill, Condover, Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna, Uffington, Shrewsbury, and back.

I missed the best part of the day as the sunshine this morning was replaced by cloud cover this afternoon. The wind was a south-westerley which meant that I had it helping from Condover and got along at quite a good pace.

At Atcham I took the scenic route through Attingham Park, could see another cyclist up ahead of me and had started to catch up by the time we were near the exit back onto the road. A shoelace coming undone and catching on the chainring meant he got well ahead and I didn't expct to see him again but he was headed the same way as me and I caught up just before Upton Magna and overtook with a greeting. He then returned the favour at the summit by Downton and after chatting for a bit he went ahead and I couldn't keep up.

The old canal path is dry at the moment but doesn't get any less rough. After riding along the riverside to the weir I took a detour past the prison then along Smithfield Road and into The Quarry from the Welsh Bridge end. There is a funfair being set up ready for the Easter weekend which meant lorries were in the way on Victoria Avenue.

I headed out of town via English Bridge and took the indirect route home up Betton Street and Sutton Lane (further but less traffic)

22.4 miles today at 13.7 mph average.

No photos this time.

Top Bottom