Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Shorts! :cold:

You're far braver than me. :blush:

I did get the odd comment. Everyone else was covered up in thermal longs, jackets, gilets, hats, etc. Warm enough in the sun (10 degrees) but chilly on the hills (2 degrees, frost and still some snow).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
30B61076-FFE1-48BB-8097-F41BC5817195.jpeg
1F08C4D1-47A1-45ED-9968-FF5F47830449.jpeg

Now the clocks have sprung forward it’s that time to ride after work. Lovely evening 20.5 miles with an average of 16.3 mph.

Last edited:
I did get the odd comment. Everyone else was covered up in thermal longs, jackets, gilets, hats, etc. Warm enough in the sun (10 degrees) but chilly on the hills (2 degrees, frost and still some snow).

I'm one of the chickens still wearing winter clobber... :laugh:

Was a tad on the toasty side when I set out yesterday, but come the last few miles around sunset, I wasn't quite warm enough. Was glad to get home to a brew and a hot meal. :blush:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Leisure and pleasure ride today as it turned out!
I'd initially planned a 50 mile loop over to Thrapston to visit a bike shop I wanted to check out. I then had to wait in whilst MrsPete faffed around 'getting ready' just in case the Avon Lady turned up.. Don't ask.. :laugh:

Anyway, as I was picking my granddaughter up from school, I had to shorten my ride to a bimble over To Pitsford Res for an ice cream.

IMG_5209.jpg

27 miles in lovely spring sunshine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1472823933

:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A brief 8 miles into town with the long way home, then bed in the best part of the day as a work tonight. Nice to commute in whilst it's light, but getting the clothing right is a nightmare, even more so when it's going to be rather wet on the way home in the morning.

johnnyb47

Guru
I've been out and about enjoying the better weather of late. Over the last 5 days I've managed to get 125 miles in which have all been enjoyable..
Tonight I went again on my usual 25 miles circuit and I initially felt low on energy and somewhat lethargic. As the ride went on though ,I started to feel better and ended up belting along at a fair old pace. The wind seemed to be behind me on the way back home which gave me a good boost of pace. I managed an average of 16.9 mph over a shade under of 26 miles. I'm pleased with that to be honest but will no doubt suffer tomorrow morning with aching legs lol :-).

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This is yesterday's ride - far too tired to write anything coherent last night.

The forecast suggested it was a good day to ride as far as possible into the wind in the morning, so I used the A38 to get to and from Bristol and did a loop down to the sea in the middle. I set off in shorts and arm warmers, expecting plenty of warming early sun, but unfortunately and area of cloud stuck obstinately in front of the sun for the first two hours, despite most of the sky being a clear blue. So I arrived at Almondsbury, north of Bristol, having done a lot of cursing which probably helped the miles to slip by. I avoided much of Bristol by heading down through Easter Compton, Hallen, Henbury and Shirehampton before climbing Stoke Hill to the Clifton Downs and the Suspension Bridge. Once through Backwell I headed into pleasant roads unknown to me, taking in a quiet loop through Kingston Seymour, with the sea visible on my screen if not in real life. A brief stop for refuelling:

Mar26a.JPG

Reaching Clevedon, the sea comes into full view, and it was a very pleasant half-term scene. From there I took the hilly coastal road to Portishead, keeping pace with a ship apparently heading for Avonmouth:

Mar26b.JPG

Over the Avonmouth Bridge and through the industrial landscape, eventually to Tockington and the day's final significant climb up to the A38. Then largely wind assisted for the rest of the ride, 122.47 miles at just over 12½ mph doorstep to doorstep, which is my threshold for respectability.

One curiosity: I confess I do look at Strava segments sometimes, although the extent of my ambition is to escape from bottom quartile occasionally. So I was a bit surprised to see that I'd achieved an all-time second place. When I had a look I found, predictably perhaps, that I'd also achieved last place, another ambition achieved. During the segment I'd been stopped at temporary traffic lights and had a refuelling stop, so just think what might have been.:giggle:

And I finished with an (almost) clean bike. :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This is yesterday's ride - far too tired to write anything coherent last night.

The forecast suggested it was a good day to ride as far as possible into the wind in the morning, so I used the A38 to get to and from Bristol and did a loop down to the sea in the middle. I set off in shorts and arm warmers, expecting plenty of warming early sun, but unfortunately and area of cloud stuck obstinately in front of the sun for the first two hours, despite most of the sky being a clear blue. So I arrived at Almondsbury, north of Bristol, having done a lot of cursing which probably helped the miles to slip by. I avoided much of Bristol by heading down through Easter Compton, Hallen, Henbury and Shirehampton before climbing Stoke Hill to the Clifton Downs and the Suspension Bridge. Once through Backwell I headed into pleasant roads unknown to me, taking in a quiet loop through Kingston Seymour, with the sea visible on my screen if not in real life. A brief stop for refuelling:

View attachment 401692

Reaching Clevedon, the sea comes into full view, and it was a very pleasant half-term scene. From there I took the hilly coastal road to Portishead, keeping pace with a ship apparently heading for Avonmouth:

View attachment 401693

Over the Avonmouth Bridge and through the industrial landscape, eventually to Tockington and the day's final significant climb up to the A38. Then largely wind assisted for the rest of the ride, 122.47 miles at just over 12½ mph doorstep to doorstep, which is my threshold for respectability.

One curiosity: I confess I do look at Strava segments sometimes, although the extent of my ambition is to escape from bottom quartile occasionally. So I was a bit surprised to see that I'd achieved an all-time second place. When I had a look I found, predictably perhaps, that I'd also achieved last place, another ambition achieved. During the segment I'd been stopped at temporary traffic lights and had a refuelling stop, so just think what might have been.:giggle:

And I finished with an (almost) clean bike. :smile:

Very nice ride. Not far too off the LVIS Audax routes that ran on Sunday. And very respectable performance. I think you’ll be finishing The Rough Diamond LONG before me!

Last edited:
Top Bottom