Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, while the rain fell I painted a few doors in the house, but once done I was itching to get out.... but it was still raining, so I waited a bit longer.

Eventually I set off under leaden skies in the direction of Bourn. I'd forgotten it was the bank holiday market today but there weren't many punters. On through Bourn village and toward the A1198. At the Wysing Art Centre...
IMG_0756.JPG

It was a bit soggy.

Down the A1198 and turn into Old Wimpole. At the bottom by the farm it looked like this...
IMG_0758.JPG

I suppose it was 4-6 inches deep.
Even the estate entrance had a water feature
IMG_0759.JPG

On to Orwell and Barrington. This is the long side of the hill. From the top I could see the river Cam had flooded lots of fields.
There were 3 buzzards circling up here.

Home via Barton, Comberton and Toft. 24 damp miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1485521770

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The rain stopped. What a deluge in the night. So I thought I'd grab some miles in the gap before the next downpour. I knew going round the back of the Hills would be mucky after all the rain but I decided I needed a change of scene. So I headed off for Alfrick Pound and Longley Green. There was water everywhere but I could find a path avoiding the deeper stuff. Things weren't too muddy tho'. Perhaps the rain had been so voluminous that it had washed much of the mud away. Of course that wasn't a universal truth but it did seem better than expected. At Clencher's Mill the leat was full and the Glynch Brook was as high as I've seen it. That'll be the footbridge for me at the ford then. On to Bromsberrow I came upon the expected flood but today it was huge. It even blocked the way to the farmyard dodge. I rode through to the farm track as there was no way to go beyond other than under and I had no snorkel. Rounding the farm buildings the gates were locked. Of course - it's a Bank Holiday. So I lifted my bike over and climbed after it. Bit of cross training right there!! Into the lanes at Birt's Street two young lads were on MtBs. I acknowledged them then shortly after heard the whizz of knobblies behind. I was their rabbit. So I just had to up the pace a bit - you know how it is. Anyway after a bit of friendly "racing" one shouted that they were on electric bikes. So that's one up for the old codger and two down for the young electrickery. As I rode the last miles some sort of light appeared in the sky. I thought and thought and then remembered that once upon a time there used to be a thing called sun. I wonder if that's what it was? 39 smiles

TigerT

Veteran
My ride today was awesome. After Fridays miserable weather I was woken up with sun shining through the shutters. So I got up got ready, arranged to meet a friend for lunch and left.

Just for once, I had a plan - It's a plan I have had for some time but never had much hope of achieving, but with two 100km+ rides completed this year, I decided to give it a go.

When people find out I live in Zürich and am into bikes, they usually ask, "Have you cycled round Lake Zürich?". Well now I can answer "Yes". I started out and headed straight to a Cafe, at Greifensee, for a Hot Chocolate to warm me up. The sun was out, but it was cold. The first part of the plan was simple and a route I know well. Get to Rapperswil in time for lunch and to meet a friend there. That was achieved comfortably despite a headwind up on the hill that at one point had me pedalling hard to go down hill. Lunch was most enjoyable sitting outside in the sunshine.

From there I was out into uncharted territory heading out to Schmerikon at the end of the lake, I then followed the cycle routes in a wide arc around the top of the lake, with some beautiful views of snowy mountains, finally getting back toward the lake at Pfaffikon for a ride down the coast road back into Zürich.

Was really tempted to cheat when I got back to the city and get the train back up the hill to home. But I didn't give up and crawled the last 5kms home. 112kms in total, beat my longest ride again. Feeling Happy, hungry and tired!

fullsizeoutput_187a.jpeg
First Coffee Stop
jKZvyeYzStyRhzRkvZjz8g.jpg
Riding towards the mountains
l%U0eG9NS8yoH+44HNAvTg.jpg
The mountains are getting a lot closer. This is at the furthest point from home.
fullsizeoutput_1885.jpeg
Longest ride ever :-)
fullsizeoutput_1884.jpeg
And the map.

Well, while the rain fell I painted a few doors in the house, but once done I was itching to get out.... but it was still raining, so I waited a bit longer.

Eventually I set off under leaden skies in the direction of Bourn. I'd forgotten it was the bank holiday market today but there weren't many punters. On through Bourn village and toward the A1198. At the Wysing Art Centre...
View attachment 402710
It was a bit soggy.

Down the A1198 and turn into Old Wimpole. At the bottom by the farm it looked like this...
View attachment 402711

I suppose it was 4-6 inches deep.
Even the estate entrance had a water feature
View attachment 402712
On to Orwell and Barrington. This is the long side of the hill. From the top I could see the river Cam had flooded lots of fields.
There were 3 buzzards circling up here.

Home via Barton, Comberton and Toft. 24 damp miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1485521770

Blimey, you aren't needing a bike there, you're wanting a boat! :eek:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Two rides that I'm counting as one. :whistle:

Went out towards Claydon to do (a new usual Tuesday 50k ride), only to receive a text from a mate who wanted a test ride before a cycle-pub crawl we have planned for Thursday. So I came home for a cuppa, then we met out for a ride out to Kirton. It's ages since Dan has been out on Concord, so Patsy #2 The CX and I treated it as a bit of a recovery ride.

This out near Henley with another cycling buddy. It was a bit overcast ...

Henley 3.4.18.JPG

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Not so much a ride but a long walk whilst my car was being seen to at the dealership this morning. I covered a good 5 miles walking to and round Conwy. I quite enjoyed it but my legs were too tired to go for a bike ride this afternoon, as I intended last night.

What a lovely place Conwy is. The Liverpool Arms on the quay is one of my all time favourite pubs. Sitting outside there on a balmy sunny summer evening is unbeatable. Haven't been for a couple of years, but there used to be an excellent delicatessen shop in High Street, hope it's still there as we will paying a visit soon.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Went out today while Mrs. R was at work. Did just over 50 miles in just under 3.5 hours, around the South West Lancs countryside and then down towards the north end of Liverpool. It was dry when I went out, but the heavens opened for about 30 minutes a few miles in, but then it dried up. The other bad thing about the weather was the wind - the BBC always seem to underestimate windspeed on their website forecast; it said a southerly about 10 mph - well they got the southerly right, but it was more like 16 - 18 and held me back quite a bit.

I had decided on a route across to Burscough, through Ormskirk, down to Melling, through Maghull and from there down to Crosby and back up to Southport, which I did, but as I cycled along, I kept taking a slightly different road than originally intended and the miles kept racking up. I normally cover around 30 to 35 miles when I go cycling, but today I ended up doing just over 50, I have done that many a few times before but not since last summer, and when I got home I was absolutely cream crackered.

After the rain of the past few days the roads were very wet and there were some humdinger puddles in places that left no choice but to ride through them. Quite a few flooded fields and very full streams and ditches, as well as the River Alt in Formby looking much more swollen than normal. Took a few photos, not as picturesque as some of the excellent ones some posters put in this thread, but hopefully okay.

The Ribble Audax on Crosby Promenade with the cranes at Seaforth in the background
upload_2018-4-3_23-42-32.png

One of the iron men (from Anthony Gormley's "Another Place") looking out towards the Burbo Bank wind farm
upload_2018-4-3_23-45-13.png

A Nordic walker on Crosby Promenade - unusually a solitary one as well, they usually go there in quite big groups.
upload_2018-4-3_23-47-9.png

About 15 miles further up the coast on Southport Coast Road towards the pier
upload_2018-4-3_23-48-14.png

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Not so much a ride but a long walk whilst my car was being seen to at the dealership this morning. I covered a good 5 miles walking to and round Conwy. I quite enjoyed it but my legs were too tired to go for a bike ride this afternoon, as I intended last night.

I like Conwy too, were planning on a visit last time we were in Rhyl but the car's clutch failed on the trip up (at 20k miles!) and it was in a garage at Denby for most of the week. It subsequently failed again on the run to Sandbach because they hadn't changed the dual mass flywheel! Don't have that problem with bikes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not long back from a visit to family in Plymouth, and since we were camped right next to it, seemed rude not to pedal along the Plym Valley Trail. Me and my lad set off under cloudy skies, which after a couple of miles became clear and sunny, so off with the coats. At the 5 mile point we got proper soaked, and the rain didn't look like abating, so we turned for home. Then the rain stopped, and we found the Plym Valley MTB trails. Now, he was on his mountain bike, fat tyres, suspension forks. Me, on my commuting CX complete with rack, bag, mudguards and skinny Marathon tyres, guess who had more fun:laugh: Still, he enjoyed himself, even if the rain did start again. We got back to the van after 11 miles, soaking wet but having had fun.
The photo, pre-rain.
4 April 2018 Plym Valley Trail.jpg

Definitely going back, the trail goes for miles and miles.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a short 10 miler here today before the showers arrived here in Norfolk where I'm back for a few days.

IMG_2791.JPG

Near Burnham Overy Staithe I looked out at the dunes of Scolt Head Island (just about visible above).
I lost my Dad recently, and he loved Scolt Head, (Norfolk's northernmost point for any geography anoraks), and we'd often walk over there in the summer back in the day, and get the ferry back and vice versa depending on tides.

IMG_2792.JPG

Burnham Overy. I've known this place since 1975 when I was 6 and it's not changed very much at all. Always a good place to come back to, especially when so much sad stuff is going on in life. Stability/ continuity I guess.

IMG_2794.JPG

The hill behind Burnham Overy. There's a windmill, some sea and even Lincolnshire there somewhere in the background. Always good to be back in dear old Norfolk. I've not been a full time resident here since the 70's, but it still always feels like home to me.

Top Bottom