Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out Monday and Tuesday before backshift. Managed a couple of 6 mile rides . Dry but cool up here . Roads quiet on my route which is great. Really enjoying it and cant wait till the proper t shirt weather .....if we get any that is.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Making the most of it being dry at the moment I took the Galaxy out for another spin.

It's not quite as cold as yesterday, sunnier and was a little less windy (when I set out at least) which made for a pleasant start, apart from an overtaking car squeezing me up against a parked vehicle less than half a mile from the start - not happy with that.:dry:

Getting out onto the main road I was riding against the wind which wasn't too bad at this point and in any case, the Dawes seems better in a headwind than my other bikes. I got on reasonably well to Longnor where I turned towards Acton Burnell and enjoyed a nice fast run with the wind behind me.

The good pace continued to Cressage where the route became a bit more hilly through Eaton Constantine. At Walcot I headed west and towards the wind which slowed things down again, then from Upton Magna I was riding directly into it and was sure that it was stronger than earlier in the ride (the Met Office confirms this and says it was 22 mph gusting to 30). After being helped along earlier this section felt really slow. I made use of the drops which didn't make me any faster but seemed to make it less of an effort to keep the speed steady.

Getting back to Condover I finally turned towards home and was able to up the pace again for the last couple of miles. Fairly hard work again but still enjoyable. A good number of other cyclists out and about - mostly with touring rigs this time.

34.1 miles this trip at 15.2 mph average which I'm quite pleased with.

DSC0006243.jpg

Just the one picture again to show off how nice it was out. On the road between Cressage and Eaton Constantine.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays horrid weather, and spending the whole day cooped up in the loft sweating like a whatsit, today I was definitely going for a ride. Dawned sunny but chilly, so after the school run (normally covered by SWMBO, but she's away with 20 odd 8 yr olds...) it was decision time, which bike?
Opted for the trike in the end, I need to build up my recumbent legs, also my road confidence on the wonderful contraption.
Initial mile or so on cyclepaths up to Virginia Water, then the peace and quiet of the roads through the Wentworth Estate. Nearly hit by a golf ball, bounced on the road next to me, and the bloomin' ball whacker never even cried fore!
Came out of Wentworth not where I expected to, so had a mile or 2 on the A30, no issues with cars etc got loads of room. Into the park, round the lake, out the park onto the roads again, back into the park again.
Had a great 32mph whizz down from the Jubilee Statue, and a pause for this
1 May 2018 Millstone & Trice.jpg

The millstone on Queen Annes Ride.

Home on 32.75 miles, so that's the May Metric half ride done. Clouded over the last 45 minutes or so and went from very pleasant to decidedly chilly, glad I got my clothes right today.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Frosty but sunny morning here today so I was up at ten to six when Mrs. jg got up for work and I was out of the house before seven. Took the path through Cong Burn Woods towards Pelton Fell to avoid the commuter traffic and then crossed the old colliery to get onto the C2C path. I'd warmed up a bit by the time I got to Tommy Thomson's bench at Beamish so stopped to take some gear off.

Bike having a rest with a Beamish Shorthorn.
20180501_073901[1].jpg

Onwards and upwards the track climbs all the way through Consett to Lydgett Junction. It was good to be on the track while the surrounding roads were busy with commuter traffic - I saw barely a soul all morning. Must try to get out more in the early morning.

Lydgett Junction.
20180501_083904[1].jpg

Out onto the moors now and the wind was trying to push me all the way back home. No chance! I could smell the cafe at Park Head where a tea cake and a mug of tea gave me the strength tackle the next section across the high moor.
The track from Park Head to Rookhope is challenging on a road bike; so challenging that I doubt I'll ever do it again. To begin with the first mile and a half is single track in a deep groove giving plenty of opportunity to ground either pedal especially with a strong cross wind snatching at the bars. There are several washouts along here too where I dismounted and walked. The next couple of miles have been 'improved' to allow motor access to the grouse butts. Great if you're in a 4x4 but a real teeth rattler if you're on a road bike. I was happy to reach the top of the incline which leads down to Rookhope, expecting the track to get better from here.

Ruined winding houses at the top of Bolt's Law Incline
20180501_103956[1].jpg

The incline was used to haul up industrial products from the valley where they could be fed into the national rail network and also to lower coal from the Durham coalfields into the valley to fuel factories and furnaces. Those winding houses, where until 1923 a stationary steam engine hauled stuff up the incline are ~1700 ft above sea level and were the high point of the ride. The plunge down into Rookhope was exhilerating and a bit scary as the surface was still a little sketchy, crossed with wheel trapping drains and littered with loose rocks. I was so happy to see tarmac when I reached the bottom.
I was now thirty miles from home and had only ridden one and a half miles on the road but I'd had enough of rough stuff for a while and took the road down to Eastgate in the Wear valley. A three mile jink to the West on a surprisingly quiet A689 brought me to Westgate where I took the bridge over to the South side of the valley. This road is now very well surfaced (it was once 40% gravel, 40% pothole and 20% cow shoot) and almost traffic free (hello postie). I was also now heading East with a rising wind behind me and so made good time through to Stanhope and down to Wolsingham where I stopped at Pegotty's for a free lunch.
Yes, A FREE LUNCH, given in apology for me becoming trapped in the toilet (the bolt broke) and having to activate the alarm. I wasn't that bothered to be honest but they seemed to think I'd had a major misfortune and couldn't do enough for me.
After Wolsingham the valley opens out a bit but there's a sting in the tail in the shape of the climb up to the A68 which continues, increasingly steeply on the back road through Billy Row. Shortly after passing through there I jumped back onto a railway path; this time it was the Deerness valley path, my favourite of the Durham railway paths. Pretty much all downhill to Durham from here then a short blast on the A167 and I was home, exhausted but invigorated.
70 miles with 5,800ft of climbing but all at a measly 12mph, mainly due to the amount of off road riding I think.

gavgav

Guru
My second day in North wales, and my second 06:45 start. Headed out in my high viz jacket, not knowing what traffic I might encounter on a weekday. Turns out there was none, even on the A road. Then I turned off up a side road at Llanbedr and headed up into the mountains. In the next two hours I saw two cars. This surpassed even Arkengarthdale as the most remote, out-in-the-sticks ride I have ever done. Only 19.2 miles, but loved every inch of it. Some steep little bits, and some plunging descents, but another great ride. I shall let the pictures do the talking.
1. In the beautiful Cwm Bychan:
View attachment 406773
2. Selfie, actually looking happy for once:
View attachment 406774
3. The upper reaches of the Bychan valley:
View attachment 406777
4. Rock and moss landscape by the lake (Lyn Cwm Bychan) .... accompanied by the sound of a cuckoo very close by:
View attachment 406778
5. I turned into an involuntary stock herder for a half a mile or so in each direction as this lot became suspicious of me stalking them silently with my tongue hanging out and panting like a wolf:
View attachment 406779
6. On the high road to Talsarnau looking out over the sea, Snowdonia and the Llyn Peninsula:
View attachment 406780
7. Dropping down towards Harlech:
View attachment 406781
8. Just above that 40% hill I showed yesterday. I reckon this bit must have been close to 30% too. I got off and walked. p.s., like almost everyone else I have spoken to over the last couple of days, the painter was also a Brummie! :
View attachment 406782
Travel plans and weather outlook mean probably no riding for the next couple of days, so my undercarriage has a chance to recover!
Harlech area highly recommended. More to follow in a couple of days. Cheers, Donger.
I had my first trip up to Cwm Bychan, last year, and I totally agree. Hardly saw a soul and it was simply bliss!!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A Tuesday night treat on my mountain bike. The fields of Hardwick have dried up nicely, but the bridleway along Hardwick wood is a mudfest in places.
I took the bridleway to the Red House
IMG_1064.JPG

A beautiful shade of green.

On I went to Hayley Wood, bluebells galore
IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

And then something had me hammer the brakes on.....
IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

A big load of common spotted orchids. That was the highlight of the ride. Even the massive buzzard that I nearly hit came a distant second.

On the way home the sky was turning a nice colour
IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

20 miles all told. I was mucky!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1543695653

Edit; could be early purple orchid

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I set off late this morning...10.30 and looked forward to warm sunshine throughout the ride. 1 minute into it and the freezing wind was biting my fingers and legs and making me shiver...bloody weather. I waited till I'd climbed to the Blundell Arms then stopped to put the full finger gloves and wind/water proof on. And to catch my breath.
From there it was about a mile and a half of downhill into Horwich and then right through some sidestreets onto Lever Park Avenue towards Rivington.
From Rivington (where there's a new 'Cafe at Spring Cottage' according to the map (or maybe it's been there for years and I just never knew about it (Very likely) I took Horobin Lane past the reservoirs then right along the lane (No idea of its name) to Back Lane. Pootling along I saw a sign for a footpath nipping into a wooded area on my left.
Been going down this lane for years and never knew it was there. Weird. I slammed on the brakes and turned round to investigate. Footpath. Hmm. I was pedalling my bike with my feet. Therefor they are doing the work and therefor I can ride on the footpath. Problem solved ^_^
I suppose it could be labelled as single track but it was twisty, rooty, rocky and I was loving it. Even had a little brook running along side. After a short while the path broke into two trails, one across a small stream and the other through a gate. The Vantage was put into Mountain Bike mode and we rode through the stream to the other side. We survived.
20180501_110332.jpg

It was such a nice discovery that I decided to take a break and enjoy a cup of tea via the flask. Perfik. Having consulted the Garmin I chose to cross the stream again and follow the trail through the gate. I chose poorly. Mudbath? You betcha. My inner adventurer chickened out and I climbed back up the path to Back Lane. On my way up two dirt bike riders were making their way down. We exchanged nods. Seems I wasn't the only rebellious lawbreaker round these parts. At least they had the decency to have their bikes fitted with proper working silencers and weren't racing around like total nobbers like the ones on the estate where I live. Oh if only anti tank rockets weren't illegal.
Back on tarmac I set off with a smile at my little discovery and merrily pootled round the bends. Then I made the mistake of glancing toward the sky. Black clouds were rolling in. :angry: I picked up the pace a bit as I didn't relish the thought of being soaked with the wind as cold as it was.
About to cross Holmes Brow and down under the M61 was were I met nobber no 1 of the day. A semi retiree likened himself to Nigel Mansel and came rocketing up the lane on my left heading toward me...with his wife/partner in the passenger seat of a Corsa van. He nipped the apex on his left and then again on the following right hand bend. Trees and hedges on both sides of the road. There's no way in hell he could see enough road to make those turns at that speed knowing it'd be ok. Idiot.
I plummeted down the lane into Limbrick where a few droplets of rain bounced off my head and turned right toward Chorley. From there I had a long, boring ride along the A6 to Anderton where the familiar signs of a hypo were starting up. I decided to slog through it and aimed for a stop next to the A6/M61 bridge crossover. Once there, I plonked my arse on the bench, slurped my tea and scoffed a couple jelly babies and a cereal bar and browsed Cyclechat on the phone.10 mins later I was freezing but feeling better so decided to make tracks and head home.
Through Horwich and into Bolton the sun was constantly in and out of the clouds. I was either freezing from the wind or baking in the sun. And every other moron in a car seemed to be in a competition to see who could overtake the closest.
I turned left off the A6 and climbed Markland Hill in my granniest of gears, coasted as much as possible along Boot Lane and home at 1.45 through the estate.
Awaiting me on the bottom step was a dead baby bird. No idea. 20 ish miles. Shattered and having an early night.

Wow, lovely scenery @Donger :thumbsup:

Went to Snowdonia on a school geography field trip many moons ago, and we did a beach dune mappy thing on that very beach at Harlech :blush:

Dunno about that 40% hill though. I'm not sure my suggestion about assisting the climb would wash... :whistle: :crazy: :giggle:
You've sparked a memory there Reynard. Back in the 70s I too went on that beach running ,when I attended a training course in Coleg Harlech and boy was it hard work. I also remember back then they had " dry Sundays" when you couldn't buy alcohol. Bet its different now.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I set off late this morning...10.30 and looked forward to warm sunshine throughout the ride. 1 minute into it and the freezing wind was biting my fingers and legs and making me shiver...bloody weather. I waited till I'd climbed to the Blundell Arms then stopped to put the full finger gloves and wind/water proof on. And to catch my breath.
From there it was about a mile and a half of downhill into Horwich and then right through some sidestreets onto Lever Park Avenue towards Rivington.
From Rivington (where there's a new 'Cafe at Spring Cottage' according to the map (or maybe it's been there for years and I just never knew about it (Very likely) I took Horobin Lane past the reservoirs then right along the lane (No idea of its name) to Back Lane. Pootling along I saw a sign for a footpath nipping into a wooded area on my left.
Been going down this lane for years and never knew it was there. Weird. I slammed on the brakes and turned round to investigate. Footpath. Hmm. I was pedalling my bike with my feet. Therefor they are doing the work and therefor I can ride on the footpath. Problem solved ^_^
I suppose it could be labelled as single track but it was twisty, rooty, rocky and I was loving it. Even had a little brook running along side. After a short while the path broke into two trails, one across a small stream and the other through a gate. The Vantage was put into Mountain Bike mode and we rode through the stream to the other side. We survived.
View attachment 406880
It was such a nice discovery that I decided to take a break and enjoy a cup of tea via the flask. Perfik. Having consulted the Garmin I chose to cross the stream again and follow the trail through the gate. I chose poorly. Mudbath? You betcha. My inner adventurer chickened out and I climbed back up the path to Back Lane. On my way up two dirt bike riders were making their way down. We exchanged nods. Seems I wasn't the only rebellious lawbreaker round these parts. At least they had the decency to have their bikes fitted with proper working silencers and weren't racing around like total nobbers like the ones on the estate where I live. Oh if only anti tank rockets weren't illegal.
Back on tarmac I set off with a smile at my little discovery and merrily pootled round the bends. Then I made the mistake of glancing toward the sky. Black clouds were rolling in. :angry: I picked up the pace a bit as I didn't relish the thought of being soaked with the wind as cold as it was.
About to cross Holmes Brow and down under the M61 was were I met nobber no 1 of the day. A semi retiree likened himself to Nigel Mansel and came rocketing up the lane on my left heading toward me...with his wife/partner in the passenger seat of a Corsa van. He nipped the apex on his left and then again on the following right hand bend. Trees and hedges on both sides of the road. There's no way in hell he could see enough road to make those turns at that speed knowing it'd be ok. Idiot.
I plummeted down the lane into Limbrick where a few droplets of rain bounced off my head and turned right toward Chorley. From there I had a long, boring ride along the A6 to Anderton where the familiar signs of a hypo were starting up. I decided to slog through it and aimed for a stop next to the A6/M61 bridge crossover. Once there, I plonked my arse on the bench, slurped my tea and scoffed a couple jelly babies and a cereal bar and browsed Cyclechat on the phone.10 mins later I was freezing but feeling better so decided to make tracks and head home.
Through Horwich and into Bolton the sun was constantly in and out of the clouds. I was either freezing from the wind or baking in the sun. And every other moron in a car seemed to be in a competition to see who could overtake the closest.
I turned left off the A6 and climbed Markland Hill in my granniest of gears, coasted as much as possible along Boot Lane and home at 1.45 through the estate.
Awaiting me on the bottom step was a dead baby bird. No idea. 20 ish miles. Shattered and having an early night.

That is one lovely, tidy looking set up you have there. It must be a pleasure to ride.

13 rider

Guru
Apologies for the late post this is from Sunday ,I've been away for the weekend in Inverness as I had entered the Etape Loch Ness a 65 mile closed road sportive around the Loch .When I entered I had no idea of its scale and was surprised when the email with the start list came with 5600 names on it :ohmy:. After the long 460 mile drive I booked in and wondered round finding the start . The town seemed full of cyclists and ever car had bikes in or on them the place was buzzing .
272.JPG

The finishing funnel was set up late on Saturday . A welcome sight on Sunday for many .I was off in wave C at 6.29 and needed to be in my start area at 6.09 so an early start which led to the issue of what to wear as it would be chilly early but warming up with sun and no wind:sun:
264.JPG

Me on the white giant number 2254 waiting to go. the gillet was handed to my support crew sister and brother in law before the start
267.JPG

The fast people are off .
I was soon away as they let waves of 250 people off in waves . Out of Inverness on fully closed roads was surreal the wrong way roundabouts and just cyclists :bicycle:flying out the town . The first view of the Loch came at about 10 miles simply stunning . I was cracking along the rolling roads on the A82 in total silence except the buzz of bike wheels .20 mile mark in 1 Hr 2 mins I'm trying to hold a bit back as the infamous climb was at 35 miles . First feed station a quick call of nature break . The sun start to appear and finally I begin to warm up . As we past through villages there are people out supporting the riders . Through Fort Augustus and thoughts turn to the climb . 4.8 miles in length and elevation gain of 1100ft :surrender:.Hit the first steep ramp and was soon in bottom gear . I run a fairly high bottom gear of 34/25 and was wishing for a lower gear . Head down and steady progress was made I knew I was doing ok as I was constantly passing people and only 2 people past me . The climb changes gradients constantly and is a b#%#@£d and goes on and on .Just as you hit another steep ramp your can hear the Piper piping people over the top your nearly there . One last effort as it's a timed section . Over the top and on to a straight quick descent . Quick blast to the second feed station and a quick cake stop . Mostly downhill to the finish now . At 20 miles to go I past a male and female riding together as I pass I become aware they grabbed my wheel and our little group was formed . Without any communication we just took turns on the front as we pressed on the group swelled to eight as we picked up more riders . The 14% twisty descent by the falls of Foyer was exhilarating and pretty scary :eek: I hit 41mph here but being closed roads you could just take the racing line not worrying about traffic . From 15 miles out I was doing maths as my target was under 4 hours but a 3.30 was now a possibility .So it was full on effort now flying home as we hit Inverness I was on the front where the road only had 1 lane closed luckily there was a constant gap near the cones so we just flew into town 2 sharp 90 degree turns and into the fishing funnel sprint to the line cheered on by 100s of spectators over the line press stop on the GPS it stops on 3.29.52:becool: average 18.6mph
279-2.JPG

A beer and doughnut at the end the doughnut had already been devoured :hungry:. Finally had a proper chat with the riders in the group and we all had done times we were happy with ^_^
283.JPG

The masses at the end
286.JPG

A happy 13 rider . A superbly organised ride in unbelievably stunning scenery an epic ride . Official time of 3.39.42 and 798th place timed Kom 29.42 mins and 285th place well happy with that the hill training finally payed me back
And when visiting Loch Ness there one question did you see Nessie
IMG_20180502_191143.jpg

just a baby one :okay:

Thanks for reading an epic write up for an epic ride but I'm still buzzing about it 3 days later

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
What a superb ride, @13 rider . Brilliant stuff!!

Mundane trundle follows . . .

Most definitely not a wet Wednesday here, although rain was forecast. What passes for my mind was all in favour of a ride anyway and so it came to pass. I pedalled off.

Exploring a little was the vague idea. A very little was the actuality, starting with the steep drop away from home and the wander around to point the bike in the direction of Beira Mar again. Use the footbridge to cross the SC 401, this enormous road is protected from the ravages of cyclists with lots and lots of Armco and other impediments to crossing any other way. Once across, continue in roughly the same direction as before, sort of around the north side of the Botanic Gardens, unfinished. This is one part of the university area and busy too. So after a look around the area, a U turn was done and wheeltracks retraced. When the previous branching off point was reached I continued, in the direction of the road to Lagoa just to see if anything much had changed. Nope, that area is still the way it was. To complete the three legs of a misshapen tripod, and bump up the mileage by a touch, I returned to Beira Mar and rode along for a random distance just enjoying the ride.

No rain, though overcast, and a few degrees cooler than the last ride. The final hill of the ride, well, I managed a few more yards up that, and reached the door thirteen and a half miles after leaving. Smiling still, these little plusses count for a lot.

Misshaped Tripod

02052018.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That is one lovely, tidy looking set up you have there. It must be a pleasure to ride.
I love it to bits but it's a real pig to handle at times...very very quick steering. Nice to have when picking a line through singletrack but it's not a bike that you can just relax on and take in the scenery...It wanders about too much.
Hoping to get it resprayed in the original colour and decals copied soon. Looking a bit rough after 6 years.

Thomson

Smailholm tower! Havnt seen that place in ages. I went there over twenty years ago on my tenth birthday on a school trip :-)

Top Bottom