Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another spin on the Galaxy today doing a clockwise variation of my Melverley loop.

I headed for Condover initially which gives a bit of extra distance and straight away found it a little more windy than I'd expected. Not as bad as the last couple of rides though. Exford's Green was next, then I headed for Pontesbury and Minsterley which adds a few more miles. I passed a very heavily loaded up tourer on the cycle path between these two towns.

The wind helped for a bit to Prince's Oak, then again from Melverley to Little Ness. Unfortunately I got baulked three times along this bit, once by a car whose driver misjudged the width of the lane they were backing out into and had to manouvre a couple of times before the could pull away, then by a tractor that was going quite slowly but was too wide to overtake, then finally by a lorry that needed the whole width of the road at a junction.

From Little Ness I gt on steadily but not particularly fast. The climb over the hill between Montford Bridge and Bicton was dealt with fairly easily on this bike, then I decided to vary the route again towards the end and took a detour into Shrewsbury and through the Quarry to make a change from using the direct route which is convenient but not interesting.

The downside of this is that the last couple of miles were directly into the wind which I've had enough of lately. Mixing it with the traffic round town highlighted how disappointing the brakes are on this bike, particularly the back one, so some more adjustments were done at the end which does seem to have made an improvement.

38.4 miles this time at 14.4 mph average. Slower than I'd expected.

DSC0006244.jpg

Partway down the descent to Prince's Oak and looking towards Crew Green across the fields and the Welsh hills beyond.

DSC0006245.jpg

DSC0006247.jpg

DSC0006250.jpg

Something I don't do very often is to drop into The Dingle which is the centrepiece of The Quarry park. (Walking the bike I hasten to add.) It looks as fabulous as ever.

mgs315

Ever have one of those recovery rides where you just want to spin the legs so decide to explore a few local lanes, only to be confronted by a bastard of a hill you’ve never heard of or seen on a map when you least expect it?

I had one of those today. I wouldn’t say it’s one to write home about (half a mile average 9% with a max of just over 15) but it was most unwelcome when I didn’t want or expect anything hilly.

Nice view at the top though.

70FEEE80-14A0-4620-86FF-A0053473E13A.jpeg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
40EABCB2-E5F5-4BFF-9D85-CDA02B411D1B.jpeg
03F115EE-908B-4156-905D-BCACD5F83F04.jpeg
15F6E100-A3AA-46A5-AAF8-A1A0A3AE12F9.jpeg
Quite a nice evening for an extended commute home. Start in Thorp Arch and headed to Tadcaster and on to Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck. Took the left turn down Daw Lane and through the old airfield to Acaster Malbis and a photo by the River Ouse near the Ship Inn.
A little further up the road to cross the river by hopping on to the Trans Pennine Trail. I think @NorthernDave has mentioned before how narrow the gap is to get on to the cycleway, well at last it’s been widened!
Through Naburn to Stillingfleet stopping to take a photo of the fields of oil seed rape. Continuing over the old swing bridge to Cawood, Rhyther and Ulleskelf. The last two miles were on newly resurfaced roads which were a little tricky due to all the excess loose chippings.
28.1 mile in total with an average speed of 15.8 mph.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I reckoned if I got up a bit earlier than usual on my rest days, and got a shufty on, I'd get my metric century ride done this morning and be home in plenty of time to get dog #1 to the vets for his nails to be clipped. Out the door at 0830, it was going to be a close run thing. A new route today, once again shamelessly copied from @Stonechat strava feed, another HDW ride, this time out to Henley on Thames and back. Some familiar roads out through Eton, Dorney and then Northwards to cross the A4. Up past Taplow before I came across the road closed signs on my route, and when I got there the road was indeed, closed:sad: A quick looksy at the Garmin, new route through Bourne End planned which took me back on track. Terrible road surfaces, and it was almost nice to get on the A4155 into Little Marlow, passing the sewage works where I've undergone confined space rescue training in the past (great tomatoes from here BTW...). Continued into Marlow, hoping to spot Saddle Safari bike shop (they do ICE trikes, will go back one day, maybe on my ICE trike), then the cheeky little climb out and up towards Henley. Of course, what goes up, and a great downhill towards Medmenham where I passed a chap running at the side of the road pushing a bike. Noted the flat rear tyre so pulled in and waited until he caught up to see if I could offer a patch or pump. No need, he had all that was required, but the rim was damaged so it was shanks pony to get home.
Down into Henley, passing the very lovely forests full of bluebells, against the clock a bit now, no time for tea and cake:sad::sad:
Back home via Wargrave with a too close for me pass by a 3.5t box Luton which got a special wave. Driver decided to slow in front of me so pulled round to the driver to explain that all that metal going past that close is somewhat scary, and we parted amicably.
Home, knackered, on 65 miles. Quick coffee, dog to vet.
Note to self, next time don't rush, takes the fun out of it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Quite a nice evening for an extended commute home.
Start View attachment 407236 View attachment 407237 View attachment 407238 in Thorp Arch and headed to Tadcaster and on to Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck. Took the left turn down Daw Lane and through the old airfield to Acaster Malbis and a photo by the River Ouse near the Ship Inn.
A little further up the road to cross the river by hopping on to the Trans Pennine Trail. I think @NorthernDave has mentioned before how narrow the gap is to get on to the cycleway, well at last it’s been widened!
Through Naburn to Stillingfleet stopping to take a photo of the fields of oil seed rape. Continuing over the old swing bridge to Cawood, Rhyther and Ulleskelf. The last two miles were on newly resurfaced roads which were a little tricky due to all the excess loose chippings.
28.1 mile in total with an average speed of 15.8 mph.

Good stuff, should be out that way on Saturday all being well. Sounds worth avoiding Raw Lane though! ^_^

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Nice day for a ride so went out for a 105Km spin - Blaby - Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys -Ashby Magna - South Kilworth - Cold Ashby - Thornby - Naseby - Creaton - Brixworth- Creaton - Sibbetoft - Clipston (almost) - Marston Trussel (almost) - East Farndon - Lubenham - Lauguton - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby. Feels very April like out there I think the seasons are a month behind, nice ride anyway!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Reading about the Mawddach Trail on this thread was one of the things that inspired me to spend a week around the Harlech area, so I was really looking forward to this ride. Up and out before 07:00 again, only this time I stuck the bike on the car and drove 4 miles down the road to start my ride from a parking space I had spotted in Dyffryn Ardudwy - about half the way to Barmouth. That allowed me to ride a bout 8 miles further in the time I had, so that I could do the whole Mawddach Trail as well as Barmouth seafront. Ended up doing 27.4 miles and getting home at the exact time I had promised the missus.
Went the whole length of Barmouth Promenade and back again without seeing another soul:
90 Barmouth Promenade.JPG

.... Then made my way to the start of the trail. NOTE: Although the trail is perfect for a family bike ride, caution needed crossing the main A496 at a pinch point on a blind bend in the road.
92 Mawddach Trail.JPG

I left money in the honesty box in both directions. Well worth it for such a brilliant start to a ride. The wooden boards alongside the rail track are a bit bumpy, and there was a bit of broken glass scattered about, but a very enjoyable way to cross the river.
93.JPG

There are public toilets on the South side of the bridge, and some space for car parking. I imagine the car park fills up quickly in the summer, though. The trail itself is a gravel one, though mostly quite smooth, and nothing my Marathon Pluses couldn't cope with. Not sure I'd want to do it on skinnies. Beautiful views across the sand bars in the estuary, with the mountains of Snowdonia as a great backdrop, and plenty of wildlife. (Herons, geese, squirrels and rabbits spotted).
95.JPG

I had the trail pretty much to myself, except for a couple of encounters with early morning dog walkers. One dog was a bit overenthusiastic to see me and came bounding at me from a distance. His owner explained that it was my high-vis jacket that was to blame, as the postman usually gives him a treat!
98.JPG

I met an oncoming cyclist at the half way point, togged up to the eyeballs in winter gear ... balaclava and all. He stared at me in apparent disbelief as I rode the other way with bare legs and arms in my lycra kit! I thought it was actually quite mild.
96.JPG

The trail ends after 6 miles or so, at the wooden toll bridge at Penmaenpool, which was where I just turned the bike around and rode back the same way. Much as I liked the thought of crossing that bridge too, I didn't fancy riding that part of the A496, having driven it a few days earlier and seen what it is like, (quite busy with traffic and hemmed in by dry stone walls). Besides, the Mawddach Trail is too nice to only do once.
100 Penmaenpool toll bridge.JPG

I was enjoying it so much, taking in the views and watching the tide rushing in, it was a shame to get back to Barmouth so quickly.
DSCF0094.JPG

After dawdling all the way, and regular stops to take in the views, I stepped it up and hammered it back along the coast to Dyffryn Ardudwy, where I had left the car. Still not much traffic about, so it was quite enjoyable for an A road at that time of day, with constant sea views to my left and a stiff following wind. Another lovely ride. Thanks to @gavgav (and others) for the idea in the first place. That's why I love this thread. Over the years I've done a few great rides that I wouldn't have thought of without inspiration from "Your Ride Today". One last ride tomorrow. I shall miss this place.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Reading about the Mawddach Trail on this thread was one of the things that inspired me to spend a week around the Harlech area, so I was really looking forward to this ride. Up and out before 07:00 again, only this time I stuck the bike on the car and drove 4 miles down the road to start my ride from a parking space I had spotted in Dyffryn Ardudwy - about half the way to Barmouth. That allowed me to ride a bout 8 miles further in the time I had, so that I could do the whole Mawddach Trail as well as Barmouth seafront. Ended up doing 27.4 miles and getting home at the exact time I had promised the missus.
Went the whole length of Barmouth Promenade and back again without seeing another soul:
View attachment 407251
.... Then made my way to the start of the trail. NOTE: Although the trail is perfect for a family bike ride, caution needed crossing the main A496 at a pinch point on a blind bend in the road.
View attachment 407252
I left money in the honesty box in both directions. Well worth it for such a brilliant start to a ride. The wooden boards alongside the rail track are a bit bumpy, and there was a bit of broken glass scattered about, but a very enjoyable way to cross the river.
View attachment 407254
There are public toilets on the South side of the bridge, and some space for car parking. I imagine the car park fills up quickly in the summer, though. The trail itself is a gravel one, though mostly quite smooth, and nothing my Marathon Pluses couldn't cope with. Not sure I'd want to do it on skinnies. Beautiful views across the sand bars in the estuary, with the mountains of Snowdonia as a great backdrop, and plenty of wildlife. (Herons, geese, squirrels and rabbits spotted).
View attachment 407255
I had the trail pretty much to myself, except for a couple of encounters with early morning dog walkers. One dog was a bit overenthusiastic to see me and came bounding at me from a distance. His owner explained that it was my high-vis jacket that was to blame, as the postman usually gives him a treat!
View attachment 407257
I met an oncoming cyclist at the half way point, togged up to the eyeballs in winter gear ... balaclava and all. He stared at me in apparent disbelief as I rode the other way with bare legs and arms in my lycra kit! I though it was actually quite mild.
View attachment 407256
The trail ends after 6 miles or so, at the wooden toll bridge at Penmaenpool, which was where I just turned the bike around and rode back the same way. Much as I liked the thought of crossing that bridge too, I didn't fancy riding that part of the A496, having driven it a few days earlier and seen what it is like, (quite busy with traffic and hemmed in by dry stone walls). Besides, the Mawddach Trail is too nice to only do once.
View attachment 407258
I was enjoying it so much, taking in the views and watching the tide rushing in, it was a shame to get back to Barmouth so quickly. View attachment 407259
After dawdling all the way, and regular stops to take in the views, I stepped it up and hammered it back along the coast to Dyffryn Ardudwy, where I had left the car. Still not much traffic about, so it was quite enjoyable for an A road at that time of day, with constant sea views to my left and a stiff following wind. Another lovely ride. Thanks to @gavgav (and others) for the idea in the first place. That's why I love this thread. Over the years I've done a few great rides that I wouldn't have thought of without inspiration from "Your Ride Today". One last ride tomorrow. I shall miss this place.
Cheers, Donger.

I’m so glad you enjoyed. I simply love the area, it’s becoming my second home now.

Sometime you should try the ride that continues up the trail to Dolgellau and then climbs up into the foothills of Cader Idris, past Cregennan Lakes.

Pure bliss

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I’m so glad you enjoyed. I simply love the area, it’s becoming my second home now.

Sometime you should try the ride that continues up the trail to Dolgellau and then climbs up into the foothills of Cader Idris, past Cregennan Lakes.

Pure bliss
Afraid I've run out of time for this trip. Will do another ride into the hills to the East of the A496 tomorrow (the Nantcol valley?) to join together some of the dots from my other rides. It has been a great week.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5232905, member: 9609"]Smailholm tower wasn't in that area, but yes it's an amazing place, in fact I drove by it twice today. But I will get up there on the bike and upload some pics.[/QUOTE]

I think he was responding to this -

Still only 10C at 2 pm with lots of big threatening shower clouds around. I didn't want to risk repeating Wednesday night's drenching so fitted a race blade to the back. This worked some sort of voodoo magic and ensured a dry ride. There was a cold north easterly wind blowing, so that seemed the best way to go although I did nearly turn back after a couple of miles as my fingers were frozen. However, the further I went the smaller the clouds and the bigger the gaps between them. After 12 miles I even managed to shed the windstopper jacket.

Looking north towards the Lammermuir, with Dirrington Great Law on the extreme right.

View attachment 406608

I couldn't find the 'your bike in front of a decorative arch being attacked by a gorilla' thread so I'll just post this here.

View attachment 406609
There's a small play park over the wall to the right, which the gorilla is presumably part of.

At this point I was still heading east into a biting wind, but on turning south and passing through Westruther it became more of a cross / tail wind and what's more it was still getting sunnier. I continued south and made a small detour to Smailholm Tower.

View attachment 406611

This was an almost reiverproof border stonghold, which has a fantastic view south looking towards the border. There is still some snow on the Cheviot.

View attachment 406613

The clear skies had spread inland, this view looking south west -

View attachment 406614

I attempted a photo of the sun glittering on the Tweed from the Dryburgh suspension bridge but the camera phone can't handle the contrast. So here's another photo of the bike instead.
View attachment 406615
According to the trip computer I'd done just over 46 miles. I'd forgotten it had been cutting out at the start of the ride, probably because it was so cold. Strava says I did 49 miles at 14.5 mph. If I'd known that I would have gone round the block to make the 50. :cursing:

The map -

View attachment 406628

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Back in the game! Blood results all froody - celebrated with a Pan Galactic Gargle-Blaster.

Put in a 50km qualifying ride for May and went up a forgotten little lane that I'd never traveled before. (Okay, it brought me back onto the A140, but it was dual-carriageway and downhill. :dance:) And I found a a copse atop a steep hill festooned with bluebells. The picture doesn't, of course, do them justice.

photo 3.JPG

Top Bottom