Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Fabulous sunny morning, not a cloud in the sky, and with Football not kicking off until 17:30 today, perfect opportunity to get my May Challenge Ride in. I was heading over to my Brother’s House, in Broseley and so wasn’t entirely sure that the Carbon Racer was the correct bike (hills!!) but I went for it.......almost falling off after 30 seconds due to hitting a sandy/gravelly patch by the Traffic Lights :eek:

Headed out to Betton Abbots, Berrington and Cound, and I was immediately surprised by how much mud and water was on the lanes. I don’t like getting my Racer dirty :thumbsdown:

The long climb up to Harnage Grange, was a bit of a pull, before the nice descent to Cressage, and then I took the Sheinton Road. I knew that there would be some climbing along here, but it’s the first time I’ve ridden it in this direction and I’d forgotten just how steep it is!! Managed most of the hills ok, but then I got to the 15% Woodshead Hill and half way up I simply didn’t have a low enough gear and had the shame of having to get off and push :surrender:

I was glad to reach the main road and a short fast descent to the junction for Wyke. This was an interesting section, on the narrow and steep lanes, but also a long and deep flood still there. I had no option other than to brave it and so ploughed slowly through the muddy water, then through thick mud, up to the farm. My poor bike :cry:

The dog that had tried to mount me, on the only other time I’ve been down this lane, at the farm, started barking loudly, but thankfully this time it was behind a gate and I was glad to get to the Main Road to Benthall.

A lovely fast descent to Broseley, marred only by a MGIF woman, who I had to slow down for on the hill, as I was faster than her when she tried to overtake me :wacko:

Arrived at my Brother’s House, and sat outside in the sun, for 5 minutes, whilst I waited for him to get back, from picking up my Nephew. I was knackered after all the hills and thinking to myself that it was the wrong decision to use the Racer, especially how filthy it now was.

Had Bacon Sandwiches for lunch and a chat with my Nephew for a bit, before I set out back home, heading down to Ironbridge, this time, to make it a circular route. It was heaving in the Town, with people out enjoying the sunshine and a bit of a slalom course to get out on the Buildwas Road, plus a dangerous close pass from a knob in a Toyota.

More climbing up Buildwas Bank and then the undulating section from Leighton to Wroxeter, where the legs were really struggling by now. I’m so un cycling fit compared to this time last year.

Had to negotiate the dangerous potholes section to Attingham and then out onto the old A5 to Atcham. I wasn’t looking forward to this section, as I know how bad and fast the traffic travels along there, but it was actually pleasant as far as the Bridge, with courteous drivers.............That changed, after Atcham, where I had no less than 6 dangerous close passes in about a mile, including one that forced me to swerve over, and so I lost my temper with that one, giving them some gestures and when I caught up with them at Emstrey Roundabout, some choice words. They scarpered a bit quick when the lights changed.

Up Thieves Lane, to finish, and 32.4 miles with 1901 ft of climbing, at 12.6mph avg.

Hard work on the Carbon and I think really the hills are a bit too much for it on that route!

13 rider

Guru
Ok so having seemingly got better from an evil chest infection/ pleurisy type symptoms and having been bored out of my brains all week not being able to do anything (including breathing properly) except subject myself to the “entertainment” that is daytime television, I decided in my infinite wisdom to venture out on this very sunny morning for a steady roll along the local lanes. For those who don’t know or follow the thread, I am part of the CycleChat metric/ imperial half century a month challenge and so the drive to get one in for this month was overwhelming me, especially having suffering from a bad dose of cabin fever!
The route was planned, nothing too major, all I had to do was get going.
It started off really well- nice and steady- but as I got to “Top Brand” at Griffydam which, as the Leicestershire/ South Derbyshire lot will know, is a two-mile ish flat section and which the local bike club Coalville Wheelers use for time trials, I was feeling good and so gave it some, getting all “aero” and using the drops for the first time ever!
I did quite good I thought, averaging about 23ish for that section and so my confidence grew a bit. But then the fatigue from lumping a 14 1/2 stone body in a less than 100% fit state began to kick in and I had to pull over and have a breather and a drink. It was here when I looked down at my garmin and saw I’d done 9.5 miles in 29 mins that I realised I was going WAAAY too hard for my comfort zone and unsurprisingly why I was knackered! The next few miles took me across to Whitwick which is fairly hilly in all directions but I believed that I had chosen one of the easier climbs around there in my route planning.
That “easier climb” might as well have been alpe d’huez as the fatigue and laboured breathing were getting too much to take and so I pulled over again (at the top) to get myself right. After a few minutes rest, a drink and a gel I set off again through some more quiet lanes, taking advantage of the flats and downhill sections. There were two more climbs to pick up- one long and slow the other short and steep- but I managed these with relative ease and on reflection I put it down to the gel that I had consumed 10-15 mins previous and a second wind.

Then it was about 5 1/2 miles of rolling roads through the beautiful rural Leicestershire countryside and back home.

I’m glad I got the required miles in for the challenge but on reflection I should not have gone too hard.

Anyhoo, 32 sunny smiley ones for me today and a well earned chill in the back garden now awaits. :becool:

Check out Couldn’t help myself.... on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1550690851

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550690851
Glad to see you back on the road . Hopefully base fitness is still there for your Dales ride

Glad to see you back on the road . Hopefully base fitness is still there for your Dales ride
Cheers, it’s still touch and go with the peaks at the minute if I’m honest. Breathing is tight again but the chest pain has gone. Had to stop a couple of times to get myself together. Swannymote Road might as well have been 33% today such was my struggle! But then the ones from Newtown Linford back to markfield and Thornton res I did ok on.
And the shifting problems I had before have returned post service so it’s booked in for a whole new drivetrain next week.

And Mrs D has given me the green light for a new steed........:okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A mega ride for us today on the tandem. We are staying in Gargrave in Yorkshire.

We set out via JD Tandems and the nice people there loaned Jo a helmet as she forgot hers. Can't be doing these steep roads without a modicum of polystyrene. I also bought a new tube as I only have one spare.
Through winding lanes past beautiful stone houses, the villages of Hetton and Cracoe
IMG_1098.JPG

We had a bit of banter with this lot from Barnoldswick.
In Grassington we went slightly wrong before finding the back road to Kilnsey
IMG_1101.JPG

Oystercatcher and curlew were around, and plenty of lapwing.
IMG_1102.JPG

Coming into Kettlewell this cone impressed us
IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

In Kettlewell we stopped for a brew and had a chat with a nice old couple. We then made our way back to the road for Arncliffe and Litton.
I had a smile as big as the dale, it was so stunningly beautiful up there, especially with the weather being so good.
IMG_1117.JPG

We stopped at the pub in Litton for a lemonade, what a great watering hole
IMG_1113.JPG

Further on up the dale the river had run dry
IMG_1119.JPG

To be continued.....

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Much niceness was promised today, weatherwise, so I was looking forward to tackling flat-ish metric century with my triathlete mate.

Out at 7am, in bib shorts and a short-sleeved top on the Pro Carbon and it was already promising to be a warm one. Quarter of a mile in, where the heck is Tim? Turns out he'd not adjusted the quick release back on his front brake after putting the wheel on getting his bike out of the car...you may remember we do like a bit of mechanical mayhem on our rides. Anyhow, with that sorted he soon caught up and we were on our way.
Another half mile in and we had to stop again - someone had now over adjusted his front brakes and they were binding...:rolleyes:

I'm happy to say that was almost it for the day, problem wise and we settled in to a good rhythm. The usual combination of roads took us to Shadwell, then Slaid Hill and a double back to Scarcroft via Tarn Lane. Down Ling Lane, the worst surfaced street in Leeds, and a blast down the A58, before a right and the drop, then climb up 'Hellwood' to join Milner Lane along the ridge to East Rigton, just like the TdY'ers did (eventually) yesterday.
Compton Lane led to Jewitt Lane and the long descent into Collingham, where a wiggle across the A58 and A659 saw us over the river and into Linton for ups and downs all the way to Wetherby, where another tight left saw us climb up heading for Spofforth. The long descent to Stockeld Park was fun, the climb into Spofforth not too bad either - although beware there are huge piles of stone chippings in the laybys along here, so we all know what's coming...:dry:
Through Spofforth and along the causeway, then straight-ish on and up and down until we reached Little Ribston, where we turned slightly back on ourselves before taking the turning towards Cowthorpe. I haven't ridden up here since last year and it's really worth the effort.
Over the A168 and then the A1(M), eventually reaching Tockwith which appears to be home to some terrible drivers. Through there unscathed, and on to Long Marston and to Angram on more terribly surfaced roads - a shame as this would be great cycling country otherwise. Eventually we dropped into Askham Richard and stopped by the pond at almost exactly half way on the ride for a quick flapjack bar and a photo:
IMG_20180505_091706317_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Yep, the sky was that blue - it was absolutely gorgeous out there today.
Back in the saddle and on towards Bilborough, getting the numpty pass of the day from an idiot in an X-trail, who revved his engine loudly to let us know we were in his way, then passed close enough to touch on the brow of a hill before cutting back in - all of which he hopefully caught on his dashcam stuck in the middle of his windscreen....
He then got caught waiting for a gap to pull out onto the A64 and I very nearly went and had a word, but decided against becoming an overnight internet sensation.:cursing:
Anyhow, up in to Bilborough and down to the bridge over the A64 and an emergency pitstop at the BP garage to buy some more water (I'd already quaffed a full bottle and with 20 miles to go to the planned café stop I wasn't sure the other one would last.
If you think petrol is expensive (£1.29/litre), the water was £1.49/litre...:eek:
Anyhow, from there it's mile after mile of quiet, gently dropping roads all the way through Appleton Roebuck and on to Acaster Malbis, where we wiggled through the now wider access and up onto to the Solar Cycle way (thanks @Spiderweb ). Or at least I did. As I reached the bridge over the Ouse, Tim was nowhere to be seen - I was on the verge of going back to look for him when he hove into view, having had a clipless moment on the turning off the road. Ooops! No real harm done, other than a scuffed pedal and a bit of dented pride (a kindly motorist had stopped to ask if he was OK as I'd vanished up the hill).
Over the river and back off the cycle way to Naburn, then the long flattish road to Stillingfleet, now with a noticeable headwind and half the motorbikes in Yorkshire seemingly whizzing about. Onto Cawood and it's swinging bridge, then right at the lights and our café stop at Mrs B's Lakeside Café:
IMG_20180505_104520849_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180505_104615335_HDR.jpg

As well as the coffees, we also had hot butties but they didn't hang about long enough for a photo, and were soon back on the road for the final leg of the ride.
Into Ryther, then around the airfield to Church Fenton and on to Barkston Ash, not quite as fast as earlier but still setting a decent pace (by my standards!).
The long way to Saxton and out on Coldhill Lane to Copley Lane - which had been stonechipped! With no real alternative rather than doubling back we pressed on and fortunately the chippings had been largely cleared away (poor job though as all the defects seemed still to be there, just hidden better now).
Lotherton Gates took us on to Aberford, then the TdY route from Barwick to Scholes, before the drop down Leeds Road and then local roads up to home.

65.69 miles (105.71km) in 4h 39m at an average of 14.1mph with 2,411ft climbed and an average temperature of 18 degrees C

Really happy with that, although the last ten miles felt like hard work and it's the May ride banked nice and early for the Half Century challenge. Absolutely glorious weather and loads of cyclists out and about.
Good to get a few new roads in, even if some of them would have been more suited to a mountain bike.:laugh:

To end, the map:
05052018.JPG

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Cheers, it’s still touch and go with the peaks at the minute if I’m honest. Breathing is tight again but the chest pain has gone. Had to stop a couple of times to get myself together. Swannymote Road might as well have been 33% today such was my struggle! But then the ones from Newtown Linford back to markfield and Thornton res I did ok on.
And the shifting problems I had before have returned post service so it’s booked in for a whole new drivetrain next week.

And Mrs D has given me the green light for a new steed........:okay:
I've just looked at your Strava you were still doing Prs on the way home having gone out hard . Your base fitness is there . Don't give up on the dales you've trained hard for it . Just take it steady

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So we got to the end of Littondale and the road continued away to our left.... I could see it went up... and up.... and up in a series of steps.
IMG_1122.JPG

Just at the end of the view the small ramps were at 18% according to Garmin, Jo struggled toward the top, I had to coax her. We made it, she did brilliantly! It was tough for a tandem.
On the top we were undulating, some tough bits, some bits flying. We stopped for a pic at this big lump, I'm sure someone will tell my what it's called
IMG_1125.JPG

The big lump as in the hill, not me.....
IMG_1127.JPG

So we found a sign for Malham. It went steeply down and f*****g sharply up. Unfortunately there was a cattle grid at the bottom, and a slight bend, so I couldn't see the road surface, there had been a few potholes and I could not afford to screw us up, so we did our best up the other side.... we had to dismount at 23% and do the walk of shame! We got back on when my Garmin said 16%, it felt flat!
IMG_1128.JPG

Onwards to Malham, walkers evident, a bit more noise about.
I was ultra careful down the decent. Less than 10 mph, brakes on. I said to Jo the brake rotors would be warm, she dared me to touch them when we stopped. I did. I swore. I said f***. She laughed. She called me a d1ckhead.
Then I took the pic of a belted Galloway
IMG_1137.JPG

He walked off in disgust at my language.
Further down we stopped again. This time I didn't touch the brakes, I just took a pic of Malham Cove
IMG_1139.JPG

We stopped at the farm shop in Airton for tea and a share of cake before coming back to Gargrave.
As I type this Mrs Dave is asleep next to me. 46 hilly miles. No wonder! She did brilliantly. 3,300ft of up. She's earned her curry!

11mph average, not bad for 2 old farts from the flatlands!

One of THE best rides I've ever done!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1551194018

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My ride, erm, yesterday, before I forget to post it again!
I'm off the whole weekend ^_^ rarely happens in my line of work, so I went on the Freewheel North Friday ride.
Around 20 of us, it's no easy feat for the ride leaders to chaperon a large group like that through shared paths and side roads, top kudos to the FWN team.
We went up and more up to Rouken Glen park, well, only about 580ft up in 20 miles, but that was plenty for some of the riders.
The day was overcast, a bit cold too, but at least the rain did not materialize.
Here is the route: if you are local it's a good route to get to Rouken Glen and back from the Green, beware though of the roadworks after the Pollock roundabout.
We went across the roundabout, but there is also a shared path that bypasses it. https://www.strava.com/activities/1549058740
At a junction on a minor road, the lights would not change, so a driving instructor felt fitting to get out of her car, shout at us to bunch up because we were blocking the junction. What did she want us to do, evaporate? :rolleyes:
Anyhow, safely back to base, I rode on to B&Q, could not find what I needed, exited next door's Tesco with a big tub of cream filled profitteroles :biggrin:

IMG_20180504_115532516.jpg IMG_20180504_115559610.jpg IMG_20180504_121617093.jpg

I've just looked at your Strava you were still doing Prs on the way home having gone out hard . Your base fitness is there . Don't give up on the dales you've trained hard for it . Just take it steady

Yeah that’s the plan! Might try another one tomorrow but it’ll be small

MarkF

Guru
MrsF had gardening planned for us. :sad: It was sunny at half ten so I sneaked out leaving my watch and phone and had a lovely ride along the canal, Saltaire to Leeds. Saw an otter in Leeds Dock, ducklings galore, chanced upon the vintage market and treated myself to some oysters and a Bundaberg ginger beer, what a lovely day it's been.:smile:

Thomson

Had time to myself today to get out in the bike. The fil was cycling past with his new bike he just picked up I cycled 8 miles to meet up with him and we went on a 5 mile cycle through a old railway walk. Lovely weather at a nice pace.no cars Then I cycled the few miles home. On my Tod. Was around 18miles in total first time I have been over 3 miles not to work. Will try and get out more now. Really enjoyed it. Great weather :-)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So we got to the end of Littondale and the road continued away to our left.... I could see it went up... and up.... and up in a series of steps.
View attachment 407567
Just at the end of the view the small ramps were at 18% according to Garmin, Jo struggled toward the top, I had to coax her. We made it, she did brilliantly! It was tough for a tandem.
On the top we were undulating, some tough bits, some bits flying. We stopped for a pic at this big lump, I'm sure someone will tell my what it's called
View attachment 407568
View attachment 407569
So we found a sign for Malham. It went steeply down and f*****g sharply up. Unfortunately there was a cattle grid at the bottom, and a slight bend, so I couldn't see the road surface, there had been a few potholes and I could not afford to screw us up, so we did our best up the other side.... we had to dismount at 23% and do the walk of shame! We got back on when my Garmin said 16%, it felt flat!
View attachment 407570
I was ultra careful down the decent. Less than 10 mph, brakes on. I said to Jo the brake rotors would be warm, she dared me to touch them when we stopped. I did. I swore. I said f***. She laughed. She called me a d1ckhead.
View attachment 407571
Further down we stopped again. This time I didn't touch the brakes, I just took a pic of Malham Cove
View attachment 407572
We stopped at the farm shop in Airton for tea and a share of cake before coming back to Gargrave.
As I type this Mrs Dave is asleep next to me. 46 hilly miles. No wonder! She did brilliantly. 3,300ft of up. She's earned her curry!

Welcome to Yorkshire. Great report from what sounds like an excellent ride.

PS, that big lump looks like Pen-y-gent. ;)

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
View attachment 407567
View attachment 407568
View attachment 407569
View attachment 407570
View attachment 407571
View attachment 407572

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My 2nd DIY 200 Audax titled ‘Belated Beltane Bronchial Buster’. Really warm. Dust rather than mud, sweat rather than blood and a 35kph hare racing me along one country lane. Not a bad day.

La Carte de Strava
67496552-197B-4322-BEC6-0624D4F6D8BF.jpeg

The Wild Wild West (Pennard)
1ECA02DC-36F2-4C99-8CBB-59AC1E3C96E9.jpeg

St Nicholas Church (Uphill) Cliffs and sedentary lifestyles to blame for falling numbers of parishioners. And bad singing.
EA1709EA-413E-4753-B005-613D644DE888.jpeg

The best café yet. (Severn Beach)
AE3A4042-4C35-47F3-B7B8-E880EF9AAF56.jpeg

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
My ride, erm, yesterday, before I forget to post it again!
I'm off the whole weekend ^_^ rarely happens in my line of work, so I went on the Freewheel North Friday ride.
Around 20 of us, it's no easy feat for the ride leaders to chaperon a large group like that through shared paths and side roads, top kudos to the FWN team.
We went up and more up to Rouken Glen park, well, only about 580ft up in 20 miles, but that was plenty for some of the riders.
The day was overcast, a bit cold too, but at least the rain did not materialize.
Here is the route: if you are local it's a good route to get to Rouken Glen and back from the Green, beware though of the roadworks after the Pollock roundabout.
We went across the roundabout, but there is also a shared path that bypasses it. https://www.strava.com/activities/1549058740
At a junction on a minor road, the lights would not change, so a driving instructor felt fitting to get out of her car, shout at us to bunch up because we were blocking the junction. What did she want us to do, evaporate? :rolleyes:
Anyhow, safely back to base, I rode on to B&Q, could not find what I needed, exited next door's Tesco with a big tub of cream filled profitteroles :biggrin:

View attachment 407588 View attachment 407589 View attachment 407590
Hope you sample the Mr Whippy cone with strawberry sauce from the Rouken Glen ice cream van :hungry:

Last edited:
Top Bottom