Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
23.1 mile lumpy ride on the hybrid this afternoon with 1620ft of climbing; through the country park (no dogs chasing), east along Penny Pot Lane (the pot hole free section), north across the A59 and down to Hampsthwaite, slog upto Swincliffe Top and then down and up through High Birstwith to Menwith along Back Road; not fun that road its loose chipping coating from a year or two ago having worn to a very rough uneven surface; Nidderdale stretched off to the north west
ndale.jpg

Along and up Menwith Hill Road to the Greenhow-Blubberhouses road which was very quiet- will be somewhat different tomorrow as its part of Sundays TdY route. Down Meagill Lane to the A59; west on the A59 and then down at a slow start speed and all brakes fully on the steep decent of Parkinson Lane and a further fully braked decent down in Fewston
fewston.jpg

Fast across Swinsty Reservoir to tackle the long drag up to the B6451
swinsty reservoir.jpg

climb from fr.jpg

On the B6451 passed an empty field that had the cyclist spotting sheep in it last week. A quick loop around Wydra lead to the final, colourful, main climb of the day
505 climb last.jpg

Eastbound on Penny Pot Lane I noticed a miracle had occurred since last week ; the westbound carriageway had been patched and even the nasty depression on the eastbound that seems to have been permanent feature for too many years has been fixed:hyper:
pennpotnopthole.jpg

Back through the country park - still no chasing dogs!
505 route.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to go right over the handlebars this morning. Was going along the Portadown Newty canal path and my mate stopped suddenly because a guy was going to jump in the canal. I jammed on the brakes hit his backwheel and my bike stopped. Trouble was I didn't, fortunately I'm told I landed in a sort of forward roll position and I ended up sitting on the path having gone 360°.
Lucky to get away with just a sore finger.

Friday 4th

AM

Bike selected;
CGR (cool & risk of remaining puddles/muddy patches on way to destination)
Weather; overcast. cool, dry, headwind (on the return)
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Out from home, through Ackworth (on todays route, before Pontefract), onto Doncaster Road (A638), in opposing direction to the stages, until the South Elmsall junction, where I carried straight on

Over the Leeds-Doncaster-Kings Cross railway, at Hampole, then a right up towards 'the Cotswolds of the Coal-Fields'....... Hooton Pagnall

I wasn't waiting too long, only half hour or so, for the Women
Women. Stage 2. 5.JPG Women. Stage 2. 7.JPG Women. Stage 2. 8.JPG

A ride back, following their route, which on watching the recorded Live coverage they proceeded a lot faster than me
Quite forgetting just how steep the climb out of South Elmsall is
I went the same way as far as Ackworth Moortop, then peeled off towards Wakefield, & home that way on a few back-lanes

PM
Bike selected; Gran Fondo ( sunnier, hot! & blue skies)
Weather; overcast. cool, dry, headwind (on the return)
Photographs from today

Again, out from home, through Featherstone, past the new Horse sculpture that's due to be unveiled soon

Into Ackworth, by the Brown Cow pub, where the crowds were out
As is the case with these events, every rider on the roads got a cheer

I went down as far as Carr Bridge Pavilion & Fields (where we meet, as a running club), & the party was in full swing, with a big screen
After talking to a few people I knew, I rode off with plans as to a location

Passing Ackworth School, I saw two members of staff that I know (one was my daughter tutor, in their junior classes, & also one of our running club members, the other I worked with for a few years, before he went to the School)

The Brown Cow was even busier, but I carried on, up to Castlesyke - where the Water Tower, & the plague-stone are
The riders were very well split up here, with a quartet over 10 minutes down
Stage 2. 7.JPG Stage 2. 8.JPG Stage 2. 9.JPG Stage 2. 14 - Copy.JPG

Back home past the 'Brown Cow again, to the Horse sculpture, & right at 'LINPAC lights'

Last edited:

graham56

Guru
While out on a ride this morning I had the pleasure to meet and have a chat with a young cyclist of 82 years old.
I didn’t get his name but he is a member of Newcastle Cheviot CC.
Chapeau sir, I take my hat off to you and can only hope I’m still able to do the same when I hit that age.
If I hit that age!
PS, he was admiring my wifes bike and said he needs one of those, in his words “I need one of those as I find it difficult to get my leg over these days.” Then burst out laughing.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Managed to go right over the handlebars this morning. Was going along the Portadown Newty canal path and my mate stopped suddenly because a guy was going to jump in the canal. I jammed on the brakes hit his backwheel and my bike stopped. Trouble was I didn't, fortunately I'm told I landed in a sort of forward roll position and I ended up sitting on the path having gone 360°.
Lucky to get away with just a sore finger.

In my usual fashion, liked for getting out there, as opposed to falling off:okay:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Our Annual Welly Ride today. Riding from King's Lynn to Old Hunstanton Lifeboat station where we hand over the money we raised en-route. Due to my current lack of fitness I joined the ride 5 miles in. 17 miles ridden with Wellies on and 32 miles total. I am now officially knackered. Great that some of the RNLI crew came to greet us!
20180505_160350.jpg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
What a beautiful day for a ride - it seemed like a whole load of other cyclists also thought the same and came out of hibernation as I've not seen that many people out on the roads this year.

I took the opportunity to get the metric 100 in early this month with a plannned route out roughly northwards through Newbourne and on up to Woodbridge, Wickham Market and Easton and up into Framlingham, across to Earl Soham and up again on the Eye Road before cutting across for the return leg. This was a run down past the home of Aspall cider into Debenham, a quick diversion to Helmingham Hall for a pic for the "bike in front of a gate" thread...
Helmingham Hall.jpg
then through Otley, Clopton, Grundisburgh and Tuddenham St. Martin before taking the usual route home through Bucklesham.

Only a couple of miles from home I saw in the distance what I thought was someone having a hard time with a small wheeled bike as they looked to be riding out of the saddle. It didn't take long to catch up and it turned out to be someone using an Elliptigo which was the first one I've seen and it looked to be bloody hard work!

Cider Run.png

66 miles/106km on the Spa Elan and the picture below sums up the Suffolk countryside at the moment - bright blue skies, yellow fields with all the rapeseed and green verges/hedges thanks to the amount of rain we've had.
Colours of the day.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A quick 19 miles this morning, got a busy day. I dropped onto the tail end of a club run of maybe a dozen riders and rode for maybe the first 4 miles with them. Looking at the stats...that 4 miles was done at 18mph...and I wasn't even trying :laugh:
Shame I couldn't keep it up when I peeled off.^_^

Glorious ride , just brilliant.
Edited to say....apart from the tractor spraying something on what looked like young wheat or similar...god almighty It stung my eyes and made me catch my breath...terrible stuff whatever it was.

Last edited:
After my sheer desperation to get a half century in yesterday, and going harder than I should’ve done, and feeling ok ish but not 100%, I thought I’d try a spot of training to help me prep for the Tour of the Peak next week. The plan was to head to Whitwick and do some hill repeats at various speeds and cadences. Alas, the chest infection that has blighted me this week has struck again and after only a mile and a quarter I could feel the all too familiar tightness and dull ache returning and so I made the decision to head back home feeling completely deflated after only 2.5 miles.

Just gonna have to rest this out a bit more. xx(

https://www.strava.com/activities/1552949375

Top Bottom