Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good afternoon everyone. A glorious day here, even if the dummies were out in force as well. One BMW driver flew past me, must have beem doing about 80 mph on a very narrow lane. Frightened the life out of me. 6 cyclists, 3 were on MTB, heavy buggers they looked (the bikes) .They were all togged up as if they were expecting it to be freezing. I bet they were suffering, and their clothes were black. 3 roadies as well. One jogger who looked like he was about to collapse in a heap due to the heat.

I did a 17 mile bimble at 10 mph. I was going to go to Mach and come back via the main road, but town was heaving due to the comedy fest, so a good job i didn't.

20180506_114809.jpg
20180506_114304.jpg
20180506_114512.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays metric century, and a rather good barbeque (that went on well into the evening...:cheers:), this mornings ride was just going to be a case of getting out there and getting a few miles in to take advantage of the weather.

I was a bit limited for choice route wise, to the west there was the TdY sportive and to the east Captain Stonechip has been doing his worst, so I decided on a bimble out north-ish to Thorner and see how things went.

Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and the familiar descent of Sandhills (after Fridays stage of the TdY Garmin Connect says Gabriel Cullaigh is now the fastest person down the hill, squeezing me down to 8th over the segment :laugh:) into Thorner, where never ones to miss a opportunity all the TdY bunting and flags have now been joined by Union flags and more, presumably ready for the wedding of the year in a couple of weeks..?

Up Milner Lane (huff and puff) and onto the ridge for a steady run along the road to East Rigton and on to Compton Lane and back out into the countryside.
At the junction with Jewitt Lane, I turned right up the hill and then the steady drop through between the fields in the warm sunshine. After pulling in to let a car through (it's single track at this point), I decided to stop at the next gate for a stretch, a couple of photos and a long drink: :heat:
IMG_20180506_092507987.jpg
IMG_20180506_092546976_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and the descent down to the junction with Bramham Lane and up onto Thorner Lane.

Now where though? While I was enjoying the ride my legs were grumbling a bit and I didn't fancy tackling too many hills or getting too far from home, so I started to head back towards Thorner. At the junction with Milner Lane I though "sod it" and turning right instead of left to repeat the steady loop I'd just completed.
It was even nicer the second time around!
At the end of the second lap I did turn for home, back along Milner Lane and dropping down into Thorner, before heading back out up Carr Lane (more huffing and puffing) to the A58, then Coal Road and local roads to home, with a long loop around the block to round the mileage out.

20.07 miles (32.29km) in 1h 25m at a surprising 14.1mph with 935ft climbed and an average temperature of 17.2 degrees C, although it felt a lot warmer.

All in a nice enjoyable ride, just taking it as it comes and enjoying being out there. Lots of cyclists out, from solos to family groups to a decent sized club ride.
I could get used to this weather ^_^

And to end, the map:
06052018.JPG

C R

Guru
It was looking glorious at 7:20 when I set off, short sleeve t-shirt and shorts were more than enough. I set off with the intention of trying for a 20 mile ride, in one go if I could manage.

Started down the A38 through Kempsey, and then the left towards Kerswell Green. I was making good progress, and my legs were feeling good. Instead of taking the left for Croome at High Green I carried on towards Kinnersley. There is a bit of a ramp before Kinnersley, but then it is almost all downhill to Earls Croome and the road to Pershore, and managed to go over 30mph for the first time.

After Earls Croome took the left towards Pershore, over the M5 and through Defford. I was planning to turn left towards Wadborough at Defford, but legs were feeling good, so carried on on, and took the left up the Holloway in Pershore. The Holloway turned out to be a cat 5 climb according to map my ride. I am not sure what cat 5 means, other than hard work, I wasn't sure I would manage to get to the top without dismounting, but I did, and in a reasonable time according to map my ride.

Then left onto Rebecca Road, where I could see the top of the radio telescope antenna in Defford airfield. The camera in my mobile is not very good, but you can just about see the white beams at the back over my BSO.
20180506_083825.jpg

After that it was familiar territory, through Wadborough, towards Stoulton, then left to go through Littleworth and down past Norton church towards home.

It was exactly 22 miles in 20 seconds over an hour and a half. A bit over 600 feet climb, an 14.6 mph average. No stops except for taking the photo. 32 miles so far this month, here's hoping I can match April.

Loads of cyclists out, but all of them going the opposite way to me, do they know something I don't?

Last edited:

Datum2

Über Member
Like many others it was a joy to be cycling today although a bit fresh at 7am. First time out this year for the Shimano sandals, I like them.
The route, Gt Gidding, Thurning, Barnwell, Oundle, Lower Benefield, Deane and then the awful surfaced road to the back of Corby by the race way stadium. Passed some thumping music coming out of a wood as we turned for Gretton.
What many people don't realise in this area is the lie of the land hides previous iron ore extraction on a vast scale. Hard to pick out now but where the fields are lower than the roads is a reasonable clue along with a fully functioning railway system that took the ore to the works.
Onwards to Gretton and then Harringworth where unfortunately our favourite coffee/cake stop Spokes still hasn't opened this year. Up Harringworth hill, passed by some roadies who made it look easy.
Bulwick, Blatherwycke, Kings Cliffs, Wansford. A slight detour down to Stibbington to see the sights and then stopped at the Nene Valley Railway for a Magnum and fizzy drink.
Onwards to Elton and the Oundle and back to Gt Gidding.
60 miles in fabulous weather.

IMG-20180506-WA0000.jpeg

Shimano clip in sandals, work for me.

2018_0506_12402300.jpg

Harringworth train viaduct, but Spokes coffee and cake stop still closed.

2018_0506_12394500.jpg

Fotheringhay church still under wraps.

Todays route
570x190.png

Various edits

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Like many others it was a joy to be cycling today although a bit fresh at 7am. First time out this year for the Shimano sandals, I like them.
The route, Gt Gidding, Thurning, Barnwell, Oundle, Lower Benefield, Deane and then the awful surfaced road to the back of Corby by the race way stadium. Passed some thumping music coming out of a wood as we turned for Gretton.
What many people don't realise in this area is the lie of the land hides previous iron ore extraction on a vast scale. Hard to pick out now but where the fields are lower than the roads is a reasonable clue along with a fully functioning railway system that took the ore to the works.
Onwards to Gretton and then Harringworth where unfortunately our favourite coffe/cake stop Spokes still hasn't opened this year. Up Harringworth hill, passed by some roadies who made it look easy.
Bulwick, Blatherwycke, Kings Cliffs, Wansford. A slight detour down to Stibbington to see the sights and then stopped at the Nene Valley Railway for a Magnum and fizzy drink.
Onwards to Elton and the Oundle and back to Gt Gidding.
60 miles in fabulous weather.

View attachment 407802
Shimano clip in sandals, work for me.

View attachment 407803
Harringworth train viaduct, but Spokes coffee and cake stop still
View attachment 407808
Fotheringhay church still under wraps.
We occasionally get that they from Leicester . Where is spokes always worth knowing a cafe location

gavgav

Guru
It was looking glorious at 7:20 when I set off, short sleeve t-shirt and shorts were more than enough. I set off with the intention of trying for a 20 mile ride, in one go if I could manage.

Started down the A38 through Kempsey, and then the left towards Kerswell Green. I was making good progress, and my legs were feeling good. Instead of taking the left for Croome at High Green I carried on towards Kinnersley. There is a bit of a ramp before Kinnersley, but then it is almost all downhill to Earls Croome and the road to Pershore, and managed to go over 30mph for the first time.

After Earls Croome took the left towards Pershore, over the M5 and through Defford. I was planning to turn left towards Wadborough at Defford, but legs were feeling good, so carried on on, and took the left up the Holloway in Pershore. The Holloway turned out to be a cat 5 climb according to map my ride. I am not sure what cat 5 means, other than hard work, I wasn't sure I would manage to get to the top without dismounting, but I did, and in a reasonable time according to map my ride.

Then left onto Rebecca Road, where I could see the top of the radio telescope antenna in Defford airfield. The camera in my mobile is not very good, but you can just about see the white beams at the back over my BSO.
View attachment 407794
After that it was familiar territory, through Wadborough, towards Stoulton, then left to go through Littleworth and down past Norton church towards home.

It was exactly 22 miles in 20 seconds over an hour and a half. A bit over 600 feet climb, an 14.6 mph average. No stops except for taking the photo. 32 miles so far this month, here's hoping I can match April.

Loads of cyclists out, but all of them going the opposite way to me, do they know something I don't?
Familiar territory, as I used to live down there. Wasn’t into cycling in those days, but looking back now I wish I had been!

Datum2

Über Member
We occasionally get that they from Leicester . Where is spokes always worth knowing a cafe location

Spokes is in a private garden nearly opposite the War Memorial In Harringworth. They have an updated Facebook page. Must be some reason why there not opening yet.
The Guiness cake is truly good.

Worthy of a mention also is the village shop at Bulwick just a bit further on from Harringworth now catering for cyclists but not Sunday. Had a warm egg and bacon baguette there

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Why can't all Sundays be like this? Magnificent weather. A big turnout for the club ride. Loads of other cyclists out there in Gloucestershire today. I was brought back down to earth by the pace of the ride today, and had to really work to hang on at the back .... particularly up Nut Hill and onwards up through Buckholt Woods. Great company, though, and a nice social ride. The highlight was a wonderful sweeping descent down along the Slad Valley. Also had a nice opportunity for a chat with @Dark46, who drove over to the Malthouse to meet us at the coffee stop. A lovely morning.
Cheers, Donger.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Left the house this morning at 6:45 to head over to meet @13 rider. Arm warmers and wooly gloves in the back pocket, a bit chilly but decided not to put them on .
Out on the new steed for its first proper ride, I was early and he didn't get chance to finish his brew. (@13 rider two PB's up Groby Road ^_^)

Straight into the first climb of the day up Sharply Hill and then the long drag to Shepshed, through Belton and up to Breedon to meet @Lilliburlero

Fantastic scenic route to Fradley Junction for the cafe stop. Another 25 miles and a second stop at Sutton Wharf - (this place opens every day of the year bar Christmas Day) The place was packed but we got a table outside and all had ice cream. Up to Market Bosworth where @Lilliburlero headed north west and home. @13 rider and myself headed through very familiar roads and parted ways at Ratby.

108 miles for me; 102 miles for @Lilliburlero (his 12th so far this year and in his maiden year of doing the imperial challenge :bravo:) and 103 miles for @13 rider.

Saw absolutely loads of cyclists out enjoying the fantastic weather, easily into three figures I would have said. Now suffering with the sunburn, I knew I should have found the sunscreen this morning, but as is me, I couldn't be bothered to look for it :rolleyes:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553713828

13 rider

Guru
Left the house this morning at 6:45 to head over to meet @13 rider. Arm warmers and wooly gloves in the back pocket, a bit chilly but decided not to put them on .
Out on the new steed for its first proper ride, I was early and he didn't get chance to finish his brew. (@13 rider two PB's up Groby Road ^_^)

Straight into the first climb of the day up Sharply Hill and then the long drag to Shepshed, through Belton and up to Breedon to meet @Lilliburlero

Fantastic scenic route to Fradley Junction for the cafe stop. Another 25 miles and a second stop at Sutton Wharf - (this place opens every day of the year bar Christmas Day) The place was packed but we got a table outside and all had ice cream. Up to Market Bosworth where @Lilliburlero headed north west and home. @13 rider and myself headed through very familiar roads and parted ways at Ratby.

108 miles for me; 102 miles for @Lilliburlero (his 12th so far this year and in his maiden year of doing the imperial challenge :bravo:) and 103 miles for @13 rider.

Saw absolutely loads of cyclists out enjoying the fantastic weather, easily into three figures I would have said. Now suffering with the sunburn, I knew I should have found the sunscreen this morning, but as is me, I couldn't be bothered to look for it :rolleyes:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553713828
As @Supersuperleeds route would have left me a few miles short I did the a few miles before meeting time turned a 2 mile trip to cash machine into 6.5 which turned out to be just enough . Thought I had time for another cuppa but he was early so it didn't get finished :sad:. Lovely ride in absolutely lovely weather :sun: some new roads and countryside for all of us . A swift ton for all of us today I had to put a effort in to sneak under 6hrs past the ton at 5.59.45 ^_^ only my second time under 6hrs . All in all a fantastic day on the bike in great company . We even chased a club down and then dropped them :becool: and overtook a motor powered vehicle a tractor doing about 10 mph downhill we had to brake and lost speed as a car was coming the way

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After my sheer desperation to get a half century in yesterday, and going harder than I should’ve done, and feeling ok ish but not 100%, I thought I’d try a spot of training to help me prep for the Tour of the Peak next week. The plan was to head to Whitwick and do some hill repeats at various speeds and cadences. Alas, the chest infection that has blighted me this week has struck again and after only a mile and a quarter I could feel the all too familiar tightness and dull ache returning and so I made the decision to head back home feeling completely deflated after only 2.5 miles.

Just gonna have to rest this out a bit more. xx(

https://www.strava.com/activities/1552949375
A like for the effort and the fact that you didn't try to push yourself when you knew things weren't right.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.:okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
As @Supersuperleeds route would have left me a few miles short I did the a few miles before meeting time turned a 2 mile trip to cash machine into 6.5 which turned out to be just enough . Thought I had time for another cuppa but he was early so it didn't get finished :sad:. Lovely ride in absolutely lovely weather :sun: some new roads and countryside for all of us . A swift ton for all of us today I had to put a effort in to sneak under 6hrs past the ton at 5.59.45 ^_^ only my second time under 6hrs . All in all a fantastic day on the bike in great company . We even chased a club down and then dropped them :becool: and overtook a motor powered vehicle a tractor doing about 10 mph downhill we had to brake and lost speed as a car was coming the way

Who chased them down? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom