Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been a great day out there today and I got out this afternoon for a bit of a spin. I took the Raleigh so that it wouldn't feel neglected ;) and headed into Shrewsbury, through The Quarry, then out to Upton Magna, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back via Condover.

Having been riding the Dawes lately, the saddle on the Raleigh took a little getting used to again but I settled into it. The Quarry was busy with people out enjoying the sunshine so progress along the riverside was quite slow this time. The old canal path to Uffington has dried out and is really rough so that was slow as well.

From Uffington things were better. The lanes were pretty quiet and it was very pleasant riding in this weather. I had a bit of a headwind while I headed south but eventually I was at Longnor and had it helping which led to a pleasant, fast run on the way home.

Not very many other cyclists out today. I passed a few round town but only saw a handful once out on the lanes. Maybe they were all out earlier in the day?

35.2 miles at 14.2 mph average. Considering how slow the first few miles were I think that's quite good.

DSC0006269.jpg

Victoria Quay, Shrewsbury.

DSC0006270.jpg

Lots of people out enjoying the sunshine in The Quarry.

DSC0006271.jpg

Riding along Victoria Avenue.

DSC0006273.jpg

Approaching the English Bridge.

DSC0006274.jpg

Upton Magna.

DSC0006276.jpg

A view of The Wrekin. Not a cloud to be seen.

DSC0006277.jpg

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc just before I turn back northwards.

C R

Guru
Familiar territory, as I used to live down there. Wasn’t into cycling in those days, but looking back now I wish I had been!

The area between Worcester and Pershore is great for beginners like me, with lots of quiet lanes to build confidence, and fairly flat. I am now widening my horizons, so to speak, increasing my distances and starting to think about the Malverns to try my legs on some lumps.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The area between Worcester and Pershore is great for beginners like me, with lots of quiet lanes to build confidence, and fairly flat. I am now widening my horizons, so to speak, increasing my distances and starting to think about the Malverns to try my legs on some lumps.
For your first attempt at the Malverns, I can recommend the Hanley Swan to Malvern Wells road. When you see a wall of a road rising up in front of you, take a right, and there is a road that takes its time climbing along the edge towards Great Malvern, eventually joining the A road .... a much easier climb than up through Gt Malvern or from Welland to British Camp. Once you are up, you are up. Although there are still some ups and downs to do as you loop the loop up there, the worst is already over. The climb to British Camp can be quite discouraging.

Got the Enigma fixed this week so out on the club run today.
Destination was Marlow.
Went through Windsor, White Waltham, almost to Henley, people seemed to think there would be a bottleneck so we veered off going along the Thames, very slow owing to pedestrians. In the middle of this someone got a puncture, eventually fixed. We came to a lock with long narrow bridges and was slowly taking us on foot across the river. It was crowded so progress was slow.
Went went for refreshments at Toad Hall Garden Centre, in keeping with the rest of the ride service was slow. Return route was through Marlow, Bourne End, Maidenhead, Dorney and Eton.

However the pace was always good, did 56 miles at 16.5 mph, it would’ve been at least 17.5 without the riverside shenanigans.
1100 feet climbed
https://www.strava.com/activities/1553490349

Last edited:
Its been an absolutely cracking weekend, weatherwise, here in the Netherlands so I've taken full advantage of it to get in a couple of longer rides

Saturday morning was 135km up to Willemstad, Oude Tonge then onto the Oosterdam before heading for home. Great conditions apart from a nagging easterly wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550826633

Today was forecast to be warmer with less wind so it was off towards Zeeland before returning via Yerseke and the Oosterdam again. 120km today so just over 250km for the weekend

Today's ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553316396

Hansweert Sluis
Beach at Yerseke. Yes, that's people in the sea
Slagboom open on the Oosterdam to let acouple of yachts pass through

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today we rolled out of Gargrave at about the same time as yesterday. Our first aim was Grassington, via Helton and Cracoe.
In Grassington we stopped for a cup of tea and chatted to other cyclists, there were plenty around.
We then took the back road up to Kettlewell, then rode on through to Starbotton and Buckden. In Buckden we stopped for another brew, this time Jo had a scone, I had a flapjack. Then we returned to Kettlewell. The crowd was building.

First came the caravan, then a lull. Police bike after police bike came through and leapfrogged one another, then the official came through and told us the standings on the road.

And then the first two came, flying through, then a following group, then the Astana team leading the peloton. They were flying through the village, a fair old sharp right hander over the bridge but they didn't slow up one jot.
Then the team cars came, one after another. All of a sudden the car closest to the bridge did an emergency stop, so did the others. Two riders shot through the stationary cars. Off they went again, eventually followed by the

END OF RACE truck.
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG

So we jumped back on the tandem. It had attracted a lot of attention all weekend as usual, but leaving Kettlewell we were getting whoops,shouts and cheers, that was fun. There was a lone rider ahead and we reeled him in, then went by him on a downhill section. He caught our wheel eventually and sat on.
In Kilnsey a decent crowd was still outside the pub, again shouts and cheers galore. Our friend bade us farewell and turned off and we carried on to Threshfield. We stopped at the Texaco garage for a water top up. A Europecar van pulled up to remove a TdY sign off a lamppost, Jo went and got it from him. It went up the back of my jersey for the remainder of the ride.
Turning off at Cracoe for the quieter road back to Gargrave, stopping at JD Tandems to return the loaned helmet. Back to the car with 36 miles and 2,200 feet of climbing, I reckon she likes these hills!

What a superb weekend. I might have to move to the Dales....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553715309

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
2 rides today = 53Km down the Grand Union Canal towpath to Foxton = its almost dried up, Puncture free too though the tyre did pop off the rim on the front = guess I pumped the tyres up too high. Back via roads. All on the Hybrid, Then later took out the road bike for a 15km spin just before sunset. Its quite a bit easier than riding thr hybrid alas I wouldn't tke the road bike down the canal towpath.....

Mike_P

Guru
19.1 mile almost straight out and back afternoon ride on the road bike for the first time this year (1447ft up grade) , return slightly more loopy to the direct outbound to avoid overly steep bits, to Snowdon Bank, one of the many uncategorised climbs on todays TdY route. Most of the uphill section between the classified climbs of Greenhow Hill and the Chevin. I made it this far up before deciding like many others walking was a more attractive option
Snowden Bank.jpg

Stephane Rossetto on his incredible victory ride
Stephane Rossetto.jpg

What I think passed as the Peloton, seemed to be more vehicles than cyclists
peloton.jpg

And just front of the "broom wagon" Harry Tanfield
Harry tanfield.jpg

6-05 route.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My ride today was cut short, should have listened to myself, instead of ignoring me :rolleyes:
Was really looking forward to join my fellow GoBikers for a ride to the Whitelee find farm.
I know it's up a series of mega hills, so I took my lowest geared bike, the one that does not have Marathons, and lately has been getting a puncture on every ride.
It was a sunny day, hot, no wind: most of us overdressed anyway, because in Scotland we expect the weather to turn to snow any minute :laugh:
Surprised myself making it up the hills no problem, and if I was the last one it was because I was the back marker ....
Was really enjoying myself, when disaster struck: well, a mini disaster.
I got separated from the group by a set of lights, took a wrong turn, got a puncture while the rest was reaching the top of Ayr road (being it a looong hill!), so I phoned @flyingfifi.
She came back for me, but I told her to carry on, as there was no point in holding up the group and both of us did not know the route, otherwise we would have caught up with them - them GoBikers are old fashioned, don't post gpx files.
Some of the planned ride was to include MB tracks and crossing water streams, don't trust those tyres anymore, Marathons for this bike are on order!
After changing the inner tube, made my way home getting lost only a wee bit, being very annoyed at myself for not having taken my other bike.
Fortunately we had passed through Rouken Glen Park, last Friday's ride destination, so I soon found my bearings.
Have spent the rest of the day gardening, only 28 miles while everybody today seems to have ridden a century.
Meh!!
Selfie of me with @flyingfifi slightly overheated after climbing into Rouken Glen
IMG_20180506_111750910.jpg
The park's pond shimmering in the sun
IMG_20180506_111129447.jpg

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'd the same blue skies and sunshine as everyone else (except @T.M.H.N.E.T) though it did turn out to be a lot warmer than forecast and the wind was also a lot stronger. As a result of the wind the loop I did would have been much easier anti-clockwise. Anyway, it being sunny, I thought that the sunshine might even make Hawick look attractive. It was certainly better than usual, though not worthy of a photo. I'd one dicey moment there, a BMW Supermarktpanzerkampfwagen had passed me on the approach to a roundabout where I was turning right and it was going straight on. The driver straight lined the roundabout leaving me very little room, but I was so close to her that when I yelled 'keep in your lane' she got such a fright she dropped her phone.
After a stop in the very scenic Wilton Lodge Park for an ice cream I headed up to Alemoor and stopped at the summit for a photo, looking back towards Hawick with the Cheviot in the far distance, still with patches of snow on it.

IMG_20180506_153748[1].jpg

The B711 then crosses Alemoor Reservoir on a bridge / causeway. The water was even bluer than the sky.

IMG_20180506_154248[1].jpg

I toiled into a stiff headwind across the exposed Alemoor before dropping down to Ettrickdale and a tailwind home. This is one of my favourite views, the hill in the background with its individual clumps of trees reminds me of Alpine foothills.

IMG_20180506_162754[1].jpg

I was feeling the sun by this time. Up here there are very few deciduous trees in leaf so there is very little shade. The beeches are out though, looking very fresh and green on the banks of the Ettrick Water.

IMG_20180506_165725[1].jpg

58.9 miles. Too knackered (or managed to supress the OCD) to do either another 1.1 or another 3.4. Average speed 14.5 mph, upness 3695 feet. The map -

upload_2018-5-6_22-19-58.png

delb0y

Legendary Member
Today's short ride (17 m) was notable because (on the spur of the moment, when I was already out riding) I thought I'd have a go at doing what I bought this bike for - namely some bridle-paths / light off-roading. I recalled looking at the map with such an idea in mind some months ago - when I identified a short bridle path that cut across the countryside in the middle of my local short loop. Start small, is my motto. Trying hard to remember the details this morning I found the entrance to the track that was the starting point of this mini-off-road adventure and it was wonderful. Exactly the sort of riding that I love - no cars, nothing too technical, but a lovely ride out into the fields and woods, the wild animals, nature stretching away in all direction, and a whole new visual perspective on this area just a mile from home. I knew there was another mile or so of similar track at the far end of this little jaunt - I just had to join the two tracks up.

Easier said than done.

When I got to the end of this first nice bit of track I was faced with fields. I couldn't remember exactly where the bridle-path went and I had no map so I simply followed the tractor tracks alongside the edge of a field. And another. And another. Then another.

Wow. I have a whole new admiration for mountain-bikers. This was tough. I was hitting every tractor tyre bump and I'm surprised I have any fillings left. There was a lot of mud. Lots of deep ruts. Some tough uphills - probably only a few per cent, but I was puffing like I'd cycled up Portway by the end. Some great downhills that really put a strain on the wrists. It was brilliant! Though I was wondering whether some suspension would have been a good idea.

And lo and behold, I actually found my way to the other side of the loop. Albeit, not where I indented coming out. Looking at the map I actually did a lot more off-roading than I needed to. I shall try the same track from the other end sometime soon. It'll be a nice little option to have up my sleeve when riding this local loop of an evening.

I was even home before the day got too warm :-)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Some years ago while on holiday in Lincolnshire (Donna Nook) I did some research on the notable churches at Boston and Louth, which brought to my attention an organisation called the Greater Churches Network.

http://greaterchurches.org/about/

Although that link states clearly that promoting a wider appreciation of these unique buildings forms part of the group's objectives, I don't see much evidence of this happening. It seems to be far more concerned with internal matters, which seems to me like a neglected opportunity.

A network can be explored, at what better way to do that than by bike? Four member churches in my part of the world are Cheltenham Minster, Tewkesbury Abbey, Pershore Abbey, and Malvern Priory. Together with the cathedrals at Worcester, Hereford and Gloucester, that formed the basis of my imperial century a month qualifying ride for May, ridden yesterday.

Starting just before 6:30, I took advantage of the early morning quiet for a hassle-free ride to the centre of Cheltenham. The minster sits in the most unflattering position, surrounded by more recent buildings presenting their backs to it:. I managed to make it look much more leafy than it really is:

Cheltenham.jpg

The next stop was Pershore, before which I was overtaken twice by a friendly guy called Gary (I knew a straighter route) and we chatted for a while. The abbey at Pershore is in a thoroughly more glamorous situation:

Pershore.jpg

I then headed northwards so that I could approach Worcester from the Droitwich direction. There were two locations to visit in Worcester, a very rare Edward VIII post box and the cathedral. The sound of the choir rehearsing carried loud and clear over the water:

Worcester.jpg

Onwards towards Malvern, the road soon starts to rise for the day's big climb. There is a flat section in the centre of the town where the priory is located, and also a roadside drinking fountain fed by spring water. Many cyclists and others were taking advantage just as I was:

Malvern.jpg

Just the final mile of climb the summit at Upper Wyche, and then into delightfully rural countryside on the way to Hereford, much of which I hadn't seen before. One interesting sight was the parish church as Bosbury, which has a tower separate from the main building. It seems this isn't that unusual, but the one at Bosbury is quite notable because the tower itself is such a massive structure and sits adjacent to the road with the church behind it. I was travelling rapidly downhill at the time and couldn't easily see how to photgraph it. Another time.

I seemed to reach Hereford quite quickly, with a following wind starting to pick up. The cathedral sits imposing above the river Wye:

Hereford.jpg

It was now around two-thirds distance and in an atmosphere seemingly full of pollen I started to get very tired, so I took a straightforward route back to Tewkesbury. If I'd had a bit more energy I might've found a better spot for a photograph. Then back down the good old A38 to Gloucester and the final location. In contrast to the choral music emanating from Worcester, at Gloucester there seemed to be preparations for a rock concert taking place:

TewksGlos.jpg

I think that blue sky behind the cathedral says it all. Sensible use of sun cream and my trusty cycling cap meant that I didn't suffer any ill-effects from the sun, but I can't remember feeling more tired for a long time. 123.24 miles.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The job today was to pressure wash the conservatory, but but waking my night shift working neighbour, so to kill a little time I took my Cube out. The weather was great. I only went around Kingston and the Eversdens and back through Comberton.
Joining Long Road my Cube threw the chain. This problem was supposed to be cured, I'm buggered if I know what the problem is. I'm scared to ride out of the saddle on it as it threw the chain once and really hurt my knee. It's had new chain & cassette, new big chainring, the hanger renewed..... anyone got any thoughts?

So sadly that incident marred a pleasant 15 mile spin. This was the reason why I'd been avoiding riding this bike.

Anyway, conservatory washed, an easy afternoon, then spin & circuits at 5.30, what bank holidays were made for!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1555297751

Top Bottom