Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@gavgav

They're swallows.

You're welcome.

Old jon

Guru
And yesterday also. An unexpected free hour or so in the afternoon, so off I pedalled. The weather was overcast so I thought ( wrongly ) that Beira Mar would be quiet. So ten miles anyway in cooler temperatures than I have recently suffered, with a surprising amount of bike traffic, solo and in groups.

Today was different. Ride out along Beira Mar again and past the hotel, continuing south for a couple more miles than the last time I travelled this far. The scenery changes, that hill in front at the beginning of the video is a bit impressive. So I rode along into that view and just kept going for a while. All new to me, still rather flat roads and quiet as well. They do make big speed humps around here, big enough to slow anyone sensible down but on a bike most of them are minor. One thing to bear in mind, a car passes just before a bump, slows down and the driver assumes that the bike does the same. So pulls in again . . .

It is all learning. When I turned around and rode a bit I encountered my first roundabout. Not quite correct, ‘cos I had ridden around it on the way out. It was just about a straight line in that direction but going home was most certainly a roundabout. A good job the road was not busy. Shortly after this I realised I was riding parallel to the airport road, then recognised a road on my right as an alternative route home. Local knowledge slowly increasing.

Before turning back, at a crossroads, I checked out the possible left or right turns. Left, and up the hill, the road reached the final house on the way up and stopped. No road any further, and there are lots of roads like that here. To the right looked similar, without benefit of hillside, still the road ended abruptly at the last house. I could see traffic away over the greenery mind.

The cycle track on Beira Mar deserves a compliment. In England I rarely use cycle tracks, half hearted and often half witted bits of construction as they are. There are three local cycle tracks and they are really superb, to such an extent that the return to reality, or proper roads, is rather a shock to the system. Ah well, cannot have it all.

So far, today’s nineteen miles is the most pleasant ride I have had here, and it feels like a ride also. Especially when I reached the bottom of the final hill to home. Hard work just to reach the height I did yesterday. But still worth a big grin.

An extended squiggle

07052018.jpg

C R

Guru
For your first attempt at the Malverns, I can recommend the Hanley Swan to Malvern Wells road. When you see a wall of a road rising up in front of you, take a right, and there is a road that takes its time climbing along the edge towards Great Malvern, eventually joining the A road .... a much easier climb than up through Gt Malvern or from Welland to British Camp. Once you are up, you are up. Although there are still some ups and downs to do as you loop the loop up there, the worst is already over. The climb to British Camp can be quite discouraging.
Hi @Donger, thanks for the pointer. I think you mean turning right at the show ground instead of carrying towards Malvern Wells. I don't think I will ever be brave enough to try going up the Wells Road, even going down would make me think twice, what you suggest makes more sense. How does your suggestion compare with going up the A449 through Malvern Link and then through the Wyche Cutting?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Not much more to say than what @ianrauk said up thread. Century ride to Southend with some top cyclists. @ianrauk is a cycling god, @topcat1 cycles fast for cake and @mark st1 ‘s calf muscles are bigger than my mortgage.
Great day on the bike, first century ride of the year for me and I enjoyed cycling somewhere new. 105 miles by the time I got home to the wife cooking dinner.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
So much for today's plan to have the day at Snetterton with a quick lunch time ride around the lanes - I gave up on the idea when I saw the miniscule race entries (the Ford race only had 4 participants) and decided that it wasn't worth the couple of gallons of diesel for the round trip.

A half hour or so was then spent ironing some shirts & trousers for work and then I got out the Van Nicholas and headed off with absolutely no idea of where I was going to go, for how long or how far. Having started with roughly the same route out as Saturday to Woodbridge, but with an added loop out of Newbourne and back in followed by a trip through Waldringfield
Waldringfield Church (1).JPG
Heading out of Woodbridge, there was a side road that I've never used before so I took it - only to find out that some parts are more suitable for a cyclocross bike, not a road bike. This eventually brought me out in the outskirts of Wickham Market so I rejoined Saturday's route to Easton and out to Kettleburgh where there was another "I wonder where this goes" side road taken and this was followed by navigation by finger post which eventually brought me out onto the Grundisburgh Road. Nothing remarkable about his section except that for the 6 miles through Hoo, Monewden & Clopton Green I only saw 2 cars!

Again I rejoined Saturday's route through Grundisburgh to Tuddenham where I diverted again across to Westerfield and up to Henley & Hemmingstone and then turned back towards Ipswich via Claydon, Bramford...
River Gipping - Bramford (5).JPG
then Sproughton and through Ipswich to take the ususl Bucklesham Road route home.

Monday Ride.png
Monday Stats.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/1556134328

Another 67 miles/107km on top of roughly the same on Saturday and, having spent most of Sunday walking around Brands Hatch at the Blancpain GT meeting, tomorrrow's commute may be a bit slower than normal!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hi @Donger, thanks for the pointer. I think you mean turning right at the show ground instead of carrying towards Malvern Wells. I don't think I will ever be brave enough to try going up the Wells Road, even going down would make me think twice, what you suggest makes more sense. How does your suggestion compare with going up the A449 through Malvern Link and then through the Wyche Cutting?
I've never climbed up from Malvern Link..... hadn't thought of that one. I just know I wouldn't fancy British Camp from either side, or the Wells Road for a first attempt! The road a I suggested goes right up close to Malvern Wells but then you can turn right along Hanley Road (instead of carrying on up Green Lane) and it joins the A449 before you get to Gt Malvern.

Nothing to report for 'May Day', as I was working a late-turn (stupid enough to run there, got rather warm!!!!!!!!!!)

Sunday 6th............

Bike selected;
Gran Fondo (plus shorts and short-sleeve club jersey
Weather; sunny , "Scorchio!", blue skies, hot-hot-hot!
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Yesterday afternoon, after watching some of the live ITV4 coverage (as far as Goose eye), I headed out in a Pool/Bramhope direction

Stanley, Aberford Road
Crossing the M62 @ jct 30, down into Oulton & Woodlesford
Over the River Aire, & up Bullerthorpe Lane to Colton

Round Leeds Ring-Road, through Cross-Gates, Seacroft
Over the Wetherby Road (A58), round the very perimeter of Roundhay Park
Over Harrogate Road (A61)

A northwards turn (right) at Lawnswood roundabout
Past Golden Acre Park, towards Bramhope
Lots of riders about, mainly from the T de Y Sportif

I rode as far as the top of Old Pool Bank, before deciding to turn round & head a bit closer to home

I finally ended up on Church Lane, at Adel, as the riders came through 2 right-angled corners (right - 100 yards - left), so it was as good as any

Obviously by then, the race was seriously splintered

Stage 4. 9.JPG Stage 4. 11.JPG Stage 4. 20.JPG Stage 4. 26.JPG

Regrettably, I didn't (& should have!!) made time to go & have a look at the Norman church a bit further into the village
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/421410
Another visit??

Home was via Headingley, which was over-run with Students, past the University, & into the centre of Leeds
Out along Vicar Lane, The Calls, & past the old Tetleys Brewery site
Along Hunslet Road, & up 'Bell Hill', past the Jaw Bones

Home via Lofthouse Gate & Stanley

Last edited:
Back on the bike after a short break due to weather and general busy-ness. Nothing special, just a ten-ish mile round trip into town to join the parental unit in a spot of bank holiday afternoon retail therapy and yellow stickering, sort of celebrating her "back in the saddle" after hip surgery.

Usual routes in and out of Ely via Downham Common, California, the drag up the Ely Road towards Orwell Pit, down the other side, over the A10 and into town proper. Needed to be semi-presentable, so compromise was made with lycra top and jeans. Wish I'd worn all lycra as jeans were soaked through when I got home. :sad: Really ran out of legs on the way back (maybe climbing my bogey hill in this heat might have had something to do with it, plus skipping lunch) but bimbled on the granny ring for the last couple of miles.

Still got back inside half an hour. I know, I'm not as fast as you guys... :surrender:

Lots of traffic today, particularly in town, but loads of cyclists out too, which is always good to see. Had several close passes and nearly got wiped out on the A10 roundabout. :angry: Was too hot and knackered to indulge in any remonstration.

Best bit was the very generous amount of room I was given by mum when she overtook me near Annesdale on the way home. :biggrin:

Arrived home to find a pot of tea made - which was quickly poured down the hatch, followed in short order by my 50p tray of smoked salmon sushi. :hungry:

C R

Guru
I've never climbed up from Malvern Link..... hadn't thought of that one. I just know I wouldn't fancy British Camp from either side, or the Wells Road for a first attempt! The road a I suggested goes right up close to Malvern Wells but then you can turn right along Hanley Road (instead of carrying on up Green Lane) and it joins the A449 before you get to Gt Malvern.
Ah, you come from the Gloucester side, hadn't noticed your location before. I live just south of Worcester, so going the A449 way is straightforward for me, though going down to Upton and then to Hanley is a nicer ride, I will have to try both at some point (when I have quite a few more miles in my legs) and report the results ^_^.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out earlyish today to make the most of the remaining warm weather (for the time being) with a run down through Condover and Acton Burnell to Cardington, then northwards through Hughley, Harnage Grange, Cressage and Eaton Constantine to Walcot before swinging back round to the west through Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and home again.

I was setting out part way through the morning rush which meant a long wait for a gap in the traffic. I was let out onto the A49 by a nice lorry driver (thanks! :okay:) and was glad I wasn't spending very long on this road. After Condover the country roads were pretty quiet. There were a few people out on bikes though making the most of it like me.

The climb up to Folly Bank was warm work and made me glad I was doing this early on, then I enjoyed the fast run down into Cardington and onwards to Hughley. I took the road towards Harley this time (as always, doubling back towards Harnage Grange before getting to Harley itself) and had the road completely to myself unlike the last few occasions.

Having gone the long way round to Cressage, the climbing starts on the way to Eaton Constantine. It's not especially steep but does go on so so is nice to get out of the way.

I could see the change in the weather on the way in the form of a line of cloud on the horizon. I'd get back well before it arrived but knew I'd be finishing into a strengthening wind.

My turn towards the wind came at Walcot. It wasn't that bad really on this occasion but I got down onto the drops anyway to try and keep up a good pace which did seem to help. I caught and overtook a tandem between Upton Magna and Atcham, greeted a couple of cyclists taking in the view on the old bridge then hardly saw a soul until I got back to Condover. A guy in a pickup pulled over to let me pass near Allfield which was nice.

My final couple of miles was into the wind so I wasn't in danger of breaking any records, then I had another long wait for a gap in the traffic to cross the A49 again. If I'd known it would still be that busy I'd have gone back a different way.

A fraction over 46 miles today at 15 mph average.^_^

DSC0006283.jpg

A view I often photograph but not often in such pleasant conditions.

DSC0006288.jpg

DSC0006291.jpg
A couple of views of Cardington.

DSC0006293.jpg

On the Hughley to Harley road and looking across to Wenlock Edge.

DSC0006294.jpg

Alternative view from the same spot as above.

DSC0006295.jpg

The River Severn and the Wrekin from Cressage Bridge.

DSC0006296.jpg

The little lonely wartime pill box guarding the river bank.

DSC0006298.jpg

Just after Walcot and the change in the weather is on the horizon. It brought cooler air and showers in for the afternoon.

DSC0006299.jpg

Crossing the Severn again at Atcham.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Today with the kids at school and the sun beaming through the clouds I figured I'd push the limits of human endurance and ride 30 flatish miles. Not them girly poncy European kilometres, but old fashioned tough manly miles...like proper cyclists use. :tongue:
All dressed in my skin tight spandex I set off just after 10.30am in the sunshine in short sleeves. As I picked up speed I became aware that it wasn't quite as warm as yesterday...goosebumps on my arms.
Past McDonald's and onto Boot Lane was my first foray into countryside peacefulness. It wasn't to last though and I was soon mixing it up with those uncivilized motons all the way into Horwich via the A673.
Lever Park Avenue was quieter than usual which was nice. Just like it used to be before every wa***r in a car discovered Rivington. The few that overtook me did so with patience and gave oodles of room :smile:
Past the reservoirs then right onto 'the lane' (still dunno what it's called).
20180508_110034.jpg
I'd already decided before setting off that as my longest ride to date since October was only 25 miles that I'd take it easy, so to pootle along was the order of the day. At least I'd be able to enjoy the scenery without risk of becoming part of it.:blush:
Back Lane was up next but as tempting as it was, I decided not to detour and explore the little trail I discovered last week. I had a route to follow.
20180508_110801.jpg
My plan didn't follow Back Lane in it's entirety but took the rather more adventurous right turn off onto Heapey Fold Lane which is literally a dirt track. A nice one though. Cue gratuitus shot of my beloved.
20180508_111559.jpg
And another at the top of the hill.
20180508_112425.jpg
20180508_112434.jpg
There's a mountain bike trail in there somewhere and according to Google maps...a campsite. Must investigate that one methinks. A bit of bumpy downhill and some wet mucky bits followed.
Higher Fold Lane had me on solid tarmac again but not for long and I soon ventured onto the Leeds&Liverpool Canal near Botany Bay.

Pretty much everyone I said "Morning!" to greeted me back with a smile which was nice.:smile:
About 17 miles into my route I decided to plonk my arse on terra firma for strawberry jam sammiches and a brew. There was a bit of a chill in the air and the sun was hiding behind a cloud so the long sleeve jersey was put on while I scoffed my lunch. Enjoyed the views while texting mum.
20180508_122112.jpg
Luckily for muggins, Mr Sunshine reappeared just as I was about done and the ls top was again banished to the depths of the Pendle. More splendid scenery was gazed upon as my little legs propelled the Vantage along at sub 10mph speeds.
20180508_120011.jpg
My only "FFS!" moment came a mile or so later after I passed under the B5239 near Wigan Golf Course. This is why...
20180508_130335.jpg
Unless you're on a 6yr olds Barbie themed balance bike, your bike ain't getting through one of these gates. They're about as cycle unfriendly as they come. Thankfully, I stripped the bike of all unnecessary crap a couple weeks ago and was able to lift it over the gate without the Pendle. It's about the only thing I like about the Carradice Classic rack...easy on easy off.
The canal path got a wee bit rough and mucky from there but smoothed out a bit before I left it to climb Sennicar Lane towards Haigh Hall Country Park. Granny ring was engaged.
School Lane, New Road and Higher Lane were the last non stressy bits of the ride and I was soon back to dodging cars on Wigan Road. Onto Bolton Road where I made my only cockup of the day. I failed to give way to a car on my right and shot straight through a mini roundabout. :blush: Oops. I don't think the driver appreciated that as the car later passed me very close. Maybe unrelated. Who knows.
Disconsin Lane lead to Lostock Lane which lead to a short ride along a bug infested Middlebrook Trail to Lostock rail station. Left there to Chorley New Road and a climb in granny gear up Markland Hill.
My last little bit of happiness was Boot Lane when a few blobs of rain bounced off me
20180508_142300.jpg
and then a pothole dodging extravaganza through the estate and home. Then the rain really started coming down. Good timing. :thumbsup:
RWGPS says I did 27 miles but I haven't tweaked the etrex's track recording properly (I recently reset it).
I drifted off a couple times while writing this but I'm not as shattered as I expected given the distance. Good day ^_^

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/22892554

Top Bottom