Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tizme

Veteran
Technically speaking it was yesterdays ride.

Absolutely boiling hot but my wife was out with her walking group so I knew I could get away with it. Only 20 miles, but I should probably have taken more notice of the contour lines, some very steep climbs!

I just really wanted to get out, just in case, as tomorrow (Wednesday) I am in hospital at 7am for a total hip replacement of my left hip, hopefully it will match the right one exchanged for a ceramic one two years ago.

Heard, but arrived just too late to see the East Somerset steam engine pull out of Cranmore station, hopefully I'll see it next time I am out on the bike.

DSCI0147.JPG

Cooler today so wanted a ride.
Decide on my Bushy Park Loop, though Laleham, Shepperton, and Sunbury to Hampton, the traffic was queuing, so took the back way into the park, and home via Hampton Hill, Hannworth, and Ashford.
23 miles @ 18.3 mph even despite the slowness inHampton
Little climbing to speak of

https://www.strava.com/activities/1559667206
Pleased with nice fast ride

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another morning ride on a shorter loop this time as I needed to be back for a set time. I took the Raleigh and went Lyth Hill, Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Wroxeter, Cressage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Condover and home.

The air was cooler and fresher than the last few days but there was a bit of sunshine and it was still pleasant t-shirt & shorts weather.

Having done over a hundred miles since Sunday the legs weren't quite as fresh but loosened up as I went round. Planning so that I had a tailwind after the first three miles or so also helped. I took the scenic way through Attingham Park and rattled along the road and bridleway at Upton Forge - haven't been this way for a while.

After Cressage there was an unusual amount of traffic along Shore Lane which made my progress even slower than usual up this bit of climbing.

By Acton Burnell the wind was picking up again like it did yesterday but the direction would give me a tailwind most of the way back resulting in some good cruising speeds on the favourable stretches. No problems with the traffic on the A49 this time and I added a bit to round up the mileage at the end.

31 miles today at 14.7 mph average. Enjoyed that.

DSC0006300.jpg

View from Lyth Hill at the start. A bit cloudier than yesterday but there were breaks.

DSC0006303.jpg

About halfway round. Drink stop in a gateway near Wroxeter.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Out again today for a longer ride than yesterday.
Before leaving, I'd fitted my longer 80mm stem to see how it fared. Out the door at 10.30am having plotted my route and uploaded it into the etrex...which would now hopefully track my ride better than yesterday.
Boot Lane was my first stop. I was cold and needed to put the LS jersey on. And my fingerless mitts.
After Victoria Road, I made my way via minor back roads into Lostock, through Westhoughton where I had a polite word with some dips**t who passed me with inches to spare, skirted around the er...outskirts of Atherton, through the middle of Leigh and straight onto the Leeds&Liverpool canal.
I pootled along that to Wigan and then up to Adlington where I stopped for lunch and a rest. My arms were killing me. Shorty stem is going back on tomorrow. I then continued up to Limbrick were I jumped off and back onto tarmac into Rivington, a short bimble along a bridleway to avoid the village and then into Horwich. From there it was monotonous drearydom all the way along Chorley New Road where nobber no.2 pulled out from a right sideroad and caused me some pretty sharp braking and language then home via Markland Hill and Boot Lane. Home for 3pm having done 37 miles averaging 10mph. Nay bad for this sluchy slug. No pics today as I wasn't in the mood. Wasn't that sociable either tbh barely acknowledging other cyclists etc. Meh, depression.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/22929856

After a few days rest from killing myself going too hard on a ride whilst recovering from a a dodgy chest I thought I’d try again four days before my first sportive of the year, Tour of the Peak.

The roadie is in the LBS having some minor surgery (a new drivetrain) and so I dusted down the “Old Faithful” Trek Hybrid and set off down towards Market Bosworth on a bit of a mooch round the lanes. “Nothing too heavy,” I said to myself. Just a nice little tootle around one of my favourite areas for cycling.

The anomaly I believe to be called “the Sun” had disappeared and made way for some grey skies but it was still quite warm and thus the shorts came out yet again......

...Ahem, I digress! The hybrid I have is a 15kg lump of aluminium with a suspension seat that leaves my arse in bits and has just standard pedals on but oh my days I forget what fun it is to ride! I’ve had it for 8 years and I just love the thing, it has never let me down!

I stopped after about 10 1/2 miles for a drink and to rest my numb derrière and took a couple of photos before heading off back towards home. It should be noted that there was little wind and that also made for pleasant riding save for one section of road which had been resurfaced and thus the bike stuck to it like you-know-what-to-a-blanket but this was only a minor thing.

Getting home and reviewing the garmin stats I was absolutely flabbergasted to discover that my average for that ride was a dead even 17 mph! I can barely hit that on my road bike let alone the hybrid! Once I peeled myself off the floor from the shock , it dawned on me that the secret to increasing my average is not to try!!

So it’s a little over 19 miles in an hour and 10, breathing easy and feeling pretty darn good! Roll on Sunday!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1560497702

Check out Quest to Test the Chest.... on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/1560497702

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We got Willy Thorn out tonight for a ride as we're going on a little trip next week.

Within 2 miles we'd stopped twice for a bit of a tinker. Just away from the house my seatpost/Jo's bars were loose and then Jo had to adjust her saddle
IMG_1223.JPG

We then got going properly, down into Caldecote, overtaking a couple on solo bikes.
Kingston and the Eversdens next, a chain gang of 5 passed us, we let them go, we had nothing to prove!
From Harlton it was a choice between the pub in Comberton or Barton.
Jo chose Comberton. A new one on us. The beer was good, but the place could do with a good tidy out the front
IMG_1225.JPG

We decamped to the beer garden at the rear
IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Back home and a bit of tinkering with the eccentric bottom brackets as the chains were running a bit tight.

Nearly 15 miles and a nice pint!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1560671162

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A bit late but i did ride the weekend, 5 of us set of Monday morning to ride to Saffron Walden. Had a nice steady ride in bright sunshine, stopped at the Bicicletta cafe , Coffee is alright not much in the way of food, Any way back on the road, lovely route home, found a pub halfway back, so we had some liquid refreshment to cool us down. Then onto the last leg straight back to our local, ending the day with a few more beers in the sun, A great weekend with a great bunch of guys and girls.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1555882984

monday.jpg
monday1.jpg
monday2.jpg
monday3.jpg

Last edited:
Out again today for a longer ride than yesterday.
Before leaving, I'd fitted my longer 80mm stem to see how it fared. Out the door at 10.30am having plotted my route and uploaded it into the etrex...which would now hopefully track my ride better than yesterday.
Boot Lane was my first stop. I was cold and needed to put the LS jersey on. And my fingerless mitts.
After Victoria Road, I made my way via minor back roads into Lostock, through Westhoughton where I had a polite word with some dips**t who passed me with inches to spare, skirted around the er...outskirts of Atherton, through the middle of Leigh and straight onto the Leeds&Liverpool canal.
I pootled along that to Wigan and then up to Adlington where I stopped for lunch and a rest. My arms were killing me. Shorty stem is going back on tomorrow. I then continued up to Limbrick were I jumped off and back onto tarmac into Rivington, a short bimble along a bridleway to avoid the village and then into Horwich. From there it was monotonous drearydom all the way along Chorley New Road where nobber no.2 pulled out from a right sideroad and caused me some pretty sharp braking and language then home via Markland Hill and Boot Lane. Home for 3pm having done 37 miles averaging 10mph. Nay bad for this sluchy slug. No pics today as I wasn't in the mood. Wasn't that sociable either tbh barely acknowledging other cyclists etc. Meh, depression.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/22929856
Your ride is not public so we cannot see the details
Sure you did well though

An 8 mile round trip utility bimble at teatime to the Co-op in Littleport, taking usual route via Downham Common and Black Bank. (Parental unit wanted yoghurt.)

Had been lovely here this morning while I was doing stuff in the garden, but by 5, it had clouded over, cooled down rather a lot and the breeze had picked up. Original choice of clothing (short sleeved jersey & shorts) proved to be a tad optimistic. :surrender: 50 yards up the road I did a u-turn and zipped home to swap shorts for tights and grab a gilet. :blush:

Was nice just to get out for a bit. Will try and pencil in a longer ride for later in the week.

Acquired requested yoghurt on Yellow Sticker - along with two pieces of Jarlsberg, a Camembert, spinach and blueberries. :hungry:

Went deliberately hard around a local (ex) TT course to see what condition my condition was in. 21 miles @ 17mph (inc warm up and cool down). I can remember when 17mph was the pace of the 'sociable' club run; now it's my eyeballs out pace. Tempus fugit.

Well done, great effort! :notworthy:

I’ve been trying to average this consistently on my road bike for a while and (minus a couple of exceptions) haven’t quite been able to do it. I nip out for a spin on my much heavier hybrid for a steady one and hit it straight away!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Fifth ride in as many days as I make the most of the dry weather. Once again I couldn't be out too long so did a shorter but hillier route for a change. It was quite a bit cooler with a brisk westerly wind. A fleece was needed and I could have done with something warmer than shorts for my legs too.:cold:

After heading over Lyth Hill at the start I headed for Longnor then the climb up Folly Bank but rather than dropping down into Cardington as I usually would, I took a left and carried on climbing to Yell Bank where the views were great but the wind didn't encourage me to hang around looking for too long.

With it being cooler than expected I decided not to do the longer version of the route I'd had in mind and dropped down through Chatwall and Lawley back to the crossroads near Longnor then on to Acton Burnell and home via Condover and the A49.

Quite hard work today due to the climbing, the wind that seemed to hinder regardless of which direction I was facing and tired legs from the last few days riding. Probably just as well I can't get another ride in 'til next week now.

25.7 miles this time at 13.2 mph average.

DSC0006307.jpg

Drink stop at the summit of Yell Bank.

DSC0006309.jpg

DSC0006310.jpg

DSC0006311.jpg

DSC0006312.jpg

A little further along the lane: a selection of shots from the viewpoint.

Top Bottom