Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
After the last few rides have been all about speed including yesterday's second fastest Imperial ton . Decided this morning to go for a gentle spin 50km target as usual . Late start and out the door at 0930 and already :sun:. Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Mountsorrel ,Barrow up the long drag of Paudy Lane . Then along the top of the ridge past nice pie but no stopping today . Wartnaby then down Saxileby hill for a change normally do this route the other way . Then return home up the Wreake valley Asfordby ,High ,Thrussington ,Ratcliffe ,Cossington ,Rothley and home 35.4 miles at just 16.7 mph :eek: . I not sure where this current speed as come from as I didnt push to hard and still did 16.7 !

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
What a fantastic day! Not a cloud in the sky, temperature in the mid Twenties and a ride with @Rickshaw Phil :sun:

Phil arrrived at mine, at 9:45, for a quick fettle of the gears on the Carbon and then we headed out in the direction of Shelton. Rather annoyingly, some hoon has decided to throw a road bollard down onto the path under the nearby bridge, which we needed to follow, and so we both ploughed through glass, meaning a stop to check tyres over. No damage done thankfully.

Out onto the main road to Bicton and Montford Bridge, traffic well behaved and then we branched off onto quieter lanes to Little Ness. We then followed some new territory to Nesscliffe Hill and Forton, which was lovely cycling country, before we crossed the busy A5 and joined the fast section to Dovaston and Kinnerley.

Turned off here to Argoed and then some more new territory towards Maesbrook, passing the road sign pointing to Llwyn Y Go Go!! The Welsh do know how to name places :laugh:

There was a short section on the main road through Maesbrook and then back onto the pretty and flat lanes to Melverley, then Pentre, where we had planned our stop at The Royal Hill pub, by the river.

It’s a great pub, with good beer and we now know good food as well, with us partaking in Scampi and Chips, Fish and Chips and some lovely Hereford Pale Ale and Three Tuns XXX Beer :cheers::hungry:

Sat outside, in the Sun, chatting to another group of friendly cyclists, simply bliss.:okay:

View over the River Severn
6ECBCC4D-A98A-4B6B-9B82-8208ADCC19C8.jpeg

Royal Hill Pub
ED5A54C5-58DB-4F81-A347-1464AECED3F2.jpeg

Me
198DAABA-163D-4941-8FBF-851D0465CD50.jpeg

@Rickshaw Phil advertising a well known Cycling Forum :whistle:
835A8005-6181-4F02-A10E-38196C0DE932.jpeg

A couple of Swifts sunning themselves
51810D89-6345-4068-A051-86E5D7B29B0E.jpeg

We set back off towards Wilcott and the legs had stiffened up somewhat, but we soon got loose again, as we hit the deceptively lumpy section to Shrawardine and Montford Bridge.

I received a text from my Dad, to say he’d taken 3 & 1/2 hours to get to the caravan (normally takes 2 hours max!) in North Wales and so we were hoping this meant the A5 wouldn’t yet be too busy, as they escape it by using the main road we were going to follow back to Shrewsbury.

Indeed this was the case, and although a fair amount of traffic was about, again it was all well behaved, although there was some amusement at a chap who’d parked in the entrance road to the Petrol Station, meaning a car, that had just overtaken us, was stuck behind it as we passed by :wacko:

The remainder of the journey back home was uneventful and we arrrived back at mine, having thoroughly enjoyed a super ride, but feeling rather warm!! :heat:

Cold drinks were consumed and Phil set off back to his and I had a nice cold shower.

36.2 miles, at 13.1mph avg speed, 1222 ft of climbing.

Best ride I’ve done in a long while

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out just after 08:15 in an attempt to beat the heat on the Pro Carbon, with half a mind on a cheeky metric half to round the Bank Holiday weekend off.

The bike knows it's own way to Shadwell, so I just provide the pedal power. Up to Slaid Hill lights, through them and then the wiggle onto Wigton Lane and along there dropping down to Alwoodley Gates and across the A61 onto Alwoodley Lane for the general upness to King Lane, before the drop down to Golden Acre park and the climb up past there onto Kings Road (where they've also put a "Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle:) and the drop down onto Otley Road.
Through Bramhope it's a steady gentle climb, enlivened by a couple of close passing muppets - you wouldn't think this road was supposedly home to the WYP 'Close Pass Initiative' :dry:.
Through the traffic lights at the Dyneley Arms and the long drop into Otley, across the roundabout and through the town and down to the park by the river for a Snickers (I've run out of energy bars) and a couple of pics:
IMG_20180507_092450302.jpg
IMG_20180507_091605937_BURST001.jpg

Back in the saddle and what else to do on the hottest day of the year so far, but tackle the climb up to Farnley?
Anyway, all that effort is rewarded with the long descent down the other side though, where despite being against a notable breeze I topped 40mph ^_^
Across the bridge over the River Washburn and along the valley floor to the Harrogate Road, where it was right over the bridge into Pool-in-Wharfedale, then right again to loop back into Otley.
A quick detour through the back streets of downtown Otley and onto Gay Lane to start the climb back out of town. Sadly I forgot to take the turning to climb the Chevin like the TdY'ers did yesterday, but the climb back up Leeds Road to the Dyneley Arms was still enough for me in the mounting heat.
Special thanks to the clown in the Corsa who was close enough to touch when they passed me going round the S-bends by the top of Old Pool Bank... :dry:
Through the lights and the long steady drop through Bramhope, marvelling at the sheer volume of traffic heading the other way towards Otley and the Dales beyond.
From there I retraced by outbound route as far as Slaid Hill, then decided to tack on an extra loop to Scarcroft via Tarn Lane, simply because the weather was so nice. From there it's another fast descent down into the fringes of Shadwell, before the climb up to the A58, then the ramp up Coal Road, before local roads towards home with yet another loop around the block to push the mileage on.

35.15 miles (56.56km) in 2h 28m at an average of 14.2mph with 1,860ft climbed and an average temperature of 18.4 degrees C.

Really enjoyed that, even allowing for motorised idiots. Glad I went out early to avoid the worst of the temperatures as it was starting to get a bit too warm in the last couple of miles, even in just bib shorts and a short sleeved top. The tan lines are coming on nicely though. ;)
Absolutely loads of cyclists out, hopefully inspired by the TdY

And to end, the map:
07052018.JPG

Datum2

Über Member
Amazing, a Bank holiday with blistering sunshine and nothing that needs urgent attention on the farm so back on the bike.
Today's start point was Bourne (Lincs) with a strava route planned to take us to Heckington and back via many back roads and villages. Dodging the A15 where we could, passed through Dyke, Morton, Haconby, Rippingale. Dowsby, Pointon, Billingborough, Horbling, Swaton, Helpringham, Lt & Gt Hale and finally Heckington where we planned a coffee and cake stop but ended up with a pint of 8 Sail beer in the sunshine at a very pleasant destination.
2018_0507_13351300.jpg

Heckington 8 sail wind mill

20180507_103719.jpg

Heckington 8 sail beer & brewery

Whats not to like and the Loo's were pretty damned smart. You always learn something when out and about A Nissen hut is on this site and a fact plaque was attached to it.

2018_0507_13350300.jpg

Todays useful fact.

The return leg via the Pack Horse Bridge at Screddington and on to Threekingham, Walcot and then Folkingham where we hoped a coffee and cake stop might appear, no! So we made do with another Magnum ice cream and sat on the bench and watched many motor cyclist and day trippers heave round the corner at the top of the Main Street (A15)

2018_0507_13343200.jpg

Pack Horse bridge, Screddington

Back out to Lenton, Keisby, Hawthorpe and Kirkby Underwood and Stainfield. Then back to Bourne through Hanthorpe, Morton and a quick blast down the A15 in relative terms, not a racer, not a roadie just pumping the legs a bit ,also traffic was fairly light and no lorries.
A glorious day in the saddle, brilliant sunshine, excellent countryside and a satisfying 49 miles.
Home, chucked the gear in the washing machine now out on the line. Dry in 5 minutes today, already for tomorrow, better check the forecast first.

570x190.png

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
After all the climbing on Saturday and Sunday (3067ft) this afternoon I went in search of something a bit more gentle today on the road bike, out onto the A59 west climbing up to Old Spring Well Roundabout, then up and down on the B6161 and A61 through Killinghall to Ripley. Expected Killinghall to be grid locked but that was this morning and presumably everyone going to wherever were already there as I managed my best ever time from the A59 to Ripley. Through Ripley then back on the A61 and first right into Nidd Lane. This is normally a very quite narrow road, not today with a stream of traffic heading in the opposite direction for some unexplained reason.
Nidd lane.jpg

Looped past Brearton onto the B6165 for fast downhill to a uphill slog for the first left to Scotton and then right at Lingerfield, where the road signs followed the norm by listing everywhere but the largest settlement nearby (Harrogate).
lingerfield.jpg

Through Scriven and left onto the A6055 and then straight on to Farnham, turned left and back through Lingerfield and Scotton to the B6165 down, up, down, down and up all the way to Ripley,
B6165.jpg

south on then A61 and then onto the Nidderdale Greenway which was packed making progress slow.
nidderdalegreenway.jpg

Up Bilton Lane and then west on the A59 downhill to New Park Roundabout and beyond where I did swop onto a new cycle track alongside before rat running home.
A59 cycle track.jpg

22.23 miles and still 1125ft climbed, average 13 mph. Did not notice the heat whilst cycling but once home the need for a shower and the kit in the washer quickly kicked in.
070518_route.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What a fantastic day! Not a cloud in the sky, temperature in the mid Twenties and a ride with @Rickshaw Phil :sun:

Phil arrrived at mine, at 9:45, for a quick fettle of the gears on the Carbon and then we headed out in the direction of Shelton. Rather annoyingly, some hoon has decided to throw a road bollard down onto the path under the nearby bridge, which we needed to follow, and so we both ploughed through glass, meaning a stop to check tyres over. No damage done thankfully.

Out onto the main road to Bicton and Montford Bridge, traffic well behaved and then we branched off onto quieter lanes to Little Ness. We then followed some new territory to Nesscliffe Hill and Forton, which was lovely cycling country, before we crossed the busy A5 and joined the fast section to Dovaston and Kinnerley.

Turned off here to Argoed and then some more new territory towards Maesbrook, passing the road sign pointing to Llwyn Y Go Go!! The Welsh do know how to name places :laugh:

There was a short section on the main road through Maesbrook and then back onto the pretty and flat lanes to Melverley, then Pentre, where we had planned our stop at The Royal Hill pub, by the river.

It’s a great pub, with good beer and we now know good food as well, with us partaking in Scampi and Chips, Fish and Chips and some lovely Hereford Pale Ale and Three Tuns XXX Beer :cheers::hungry:

Sat outside, in the Sun, chatting to another group of friendly cyclists, simply bliss.:okay:

View over the River Severn
View attachment 408065

Royal Hill Pub
View attachment 408066

Me
View attachment 408067

@Rickshaw Phil advertising a well known Cycling Forum :whistle:
View attachment 408068

A couple of Swifts sunning themselves
View attachment 408069

We set back off towards Wilcott and the legs had stiffened up somewhat, but we soon got loose again, as we hit the deceptively lumpy section to Shrawardine and Montford Bridge.

I received a text from my Dad, to say he’d taken 3 & 1/2 hours to get to the caravan (normally takes 2 hours max!) in North Wales and so we were hoping this meant the A5 wouldn’t yet be too busy, as they escape it by using the main road we were going to follow back to Shrewsbury.

Indeed this was the case, and although a fair amount of traffic was about, again it was all well behaved, although there was some amusement at a chap who’d parked in the entrance road to the Petrol Station, meaning a car, that had just overtaken us, was stuck behind it as we passed by :wacko:

The remainder of the journey back home was uneventful and we arrrived back at mine, having thoroughly enjoyed a super ride, but feeling rather warm!! :heat:

Cold drinks were consumed and Phil set off back to his and I had a nice cold shower.

36.2 miles, at 13.1mph avg speed, 1222 ft of climbing.

Best ride I’ve done in a long while
A great ride on a superb day :okay: and the only thing I can add to Gav's write up is that my own distance for the day ended up as 40.1 miles with the average the same as his: 13.1 mph.

Edit to add: didn't notice until this morning that this ride took me past another milestone. 2,000 cycling miles for the year to date.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After an early start to get the van washed before it got hot, the plan was a 10-15 mile jaunt before getting some kip ready for the night shift. An unexpected request from my 11 yr old daughter to come along shortened the ride a little, and instead we opted for a trip to the shops to collect a new game for my lad, so that was the first 3 miles. My lass decided she was hungry, so round to the bakers where we found no cakes she liked the look of, so I suggested a ride by the river to Runnymede Pleasure Grounds where we may find ice cream. Funnily enough that was acceptable, so by the time we'd done that we got home with 8 miles done. A wonderful way to spend my morning:smile:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Two short rides today, 10 miles with my wife, both riding hybrids alongside railway tracks for the most part, very warm and plenty of folk out doing the same.
Helga, Swedish railcar on the Nene Valley Railway...
20180507_124635.jpg

This evening...it's cooled off a bit, weekend is done, we're just winding down....got another 10 miles in in the road bike .

kapelmuur

Veteran
I had intended to ride about 30 miles this morning, but the weather was so good and the roads so quiet that I pressed on to complete my first Imperial half of the year.

I reckon that here were more bikes out than cars, if only that were always the case.

My route was a wander around rural Cheshire, including High Legh, Appleton, Arley Hall, Pickmere, the Peovers, Warford, Mobberley and Ashley.

The photo is of the aptly named '''Slow and Easy" pub near Northwich.

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_101722848.jpg
    IMG_20180507_101722848.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 53

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2 ride reports for you.

Yesterday, myself, @rb58 & @Trickedem did a very nice rolling Kent roads loop. Following the classic Fnrttc route from Rochester to Whitstable. Hitting the Crab & Winkle Way, An old railway track route linking Whistable with Canterbury. Once at Canterbury we had to negotiate the crowds of day trippers to find the most excellent lunch stop cafe that Tim had found. Post Gammon, Chips & 2 eggs we turned south heading through some of the very best Kent lanes that one could cycle on, including lots of hills and valley's to test the legs. Did I say that this was a flattish Tim ride ^_^ ie hills.

Once we had crossed over the downs we descended into Wye to grab an ice cream and a much needed break. From Wye it was much more rolling rather then climbing. We took the fast A20 at Charing making quick progress. The A20 in this part of Kent is nice and wide and with the motorway running alongside, it means that car traffic was fairly minimal. It was a most enjoyable head down and blast along at a fair old pace part of the days riding.

So, score on the doors.
107 very warm and sunny miles. May's Imperial Century Challenge ride done and dusted.
Century # 7 for the year, #235 over all and month 90 in a row.

Aylesford on the way to the mornings meet point.
20180506_075705.jpg

Ross
20180506_113457.jpg

Tim
20180506_113511.jpg

Tim & Ross on Raspberry Hill
ezgif-1-c9c6a27c21.gif

Wye is down there..........
20180506_144239.jpg

Wye - Ice Cream Time
20180506_152135.jpg

And the scores on the doors
060518 Canterbury.jpg

Last edited:

Thomson

Well after getting out at the weekend for the first time ever and doin 18 miles. She was going to her parents today. And asked if she would pick me up.i said no :-) I cycled the 6 miles there after work passed about 10 cyclists the other way. Been there a few hours and just cycled the 9 miles back. Great weather. Hearing the birds chirping. Really quite enjoying this cycling thingy. :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bank holiday weekend.. what do you do on a back holiday weekend? Go to the seaside of course.
So i jumped on an early morning train to Victoria to meet @topcat1 & @mark st1 and in Aldwych, @jayonabike . We were off to Southend for Beer and Burgers.
It was hot and it was fast and it was furious. I think Topcat was a little worried that the cafe would run out of cakes by the time we got there.
It didn't take us long to get to Southend environs. A few miles outside of the town and we were over taking miles and miles of traffic heading on the same direction. It was madness for people stuck in their metal boxes in this blazing heat.

At Southend we dosed ourselves up, each having a burger and a £5.00 pint of Pironi, yep £5.00 a pint.

Bit of a queue going on there... nice face Mark. ^_^
20180507_125755.jpg

A busy Southend
20180507_132251.jpg

Southend
20180507_132515.jpg

Topcat Dave was sensible, he decided to get the train back to London. The rest of us were not so. We were riding back and the temperatures were rising. Luckily the route is pretty much flat. But having done 100+ hilly miles yesterday, my legs were really feeling the burn. I had to dig in a good few times to keep up with Jay and Mark.

It wasn't long before we were back in London, not the nicest of routes back I must admit but it was a quick one. Jay turned off for Euston Station, Mark to Waterloo Station and myself to Victoria. Where after 2 days of cycling, my bum was most grateful for a soft, comfy seat. :wacko:^_^

So, scores on the doors. A tad over 100+ miles at a furious 16mph average.
Century #8 for the year, #236 over all.

I am blooming knackered.
I was going to ride the 36 miles to work tomorrow, but perhaps not ^_^

Thanks chaps for a most excellent ride.

Last edited:

Elysian_Roads

Or how it didn't go quite to plan.... Intended to get the MTB out and across to Goring on a shorter route than I had previously managed to get up on the Ridgeway, do a few miles and then head back to put the Metric Century in the bag.

All went well, including finding a new quite route up to Sonning Common. Then I managed to head off course and back into Reading... Diversion corrected, and past Streetley to join the Ridgeway, with a plan to do five or so miles.

Never actually been up onto it so hadn't realised quite how slow and hardwork it would be. On that basis, you would think that I would stick to the plan. Nope. Somehow the idea to keep pushing on had got into my head, and twelve miles later I finally decided to head back. Luckily found a nice cafe just off the Ridgeway to top up with water and flapjack then got back on.

Did twenty or so miles up there, before opting to come off and get back on tarmac on a road running parallel, which transpired to be more hilly than I had expected. Lunch break in Goring 60 miles in and wasn't looking forward to the ride back. It did improve about ten miles from home, but probably a bit too warm to try this kind of excursion for the first time.

Anyway, the upshot was the longest distance to date, at c80 miles / c130km so not a bad day's work.^_^

Katherine

Guru
110 miles done today on the club social century. We made it to the Eureka cafe, finally.
IMG_20180507_210852.jpg

Amazing day. Beautiful hot sunshine with a slight breeze. Perfect .Apart from my feet which became rather painful on the way home. I might have had my shoes done up too tight but it was underneath the toes that hurt.

Top Bottom