Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did my usual 38 mile loop yesterday on the road bike, and couldn't waste the day today...................well not before the final anyway.

So I dragged the MTB out and had a slow ride around mountainous East Anglia:laugh::laugh:.

18 miles in 1hr 10mins

20180715_113653.jpg

Screenshot (12).png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went back to mercia CC for a ride today as i fancied a longer one, velo moira is great but their sunday ride is a bit small for me so i normally top it up anyway, managed to clock 200 miles for the week .
Met someone i have never sen before claims he is a member of CC and has done the Bosworth ride with @Supersuperleeds , @broady etc but he didnt say his name , anyway hello who ever you are :smile:
Anyhoo , good base miles but ruddy hot at the end !
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1704360042/embed/3575990ac3559e6b220693dfc611d0caff2d4231
'></iframe>

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
6BAA9E78-60EE-4926-843B-77BB2B3972B2.jpeg
77C41633-5F43-489D-BD64-D4EE8453F1CD.jpeg
0857BC90-B813-4BD2-BEC8-7C762F1E62AD.jpeg

A little late in posting but we had a fab ride on Friday from Home to Middleham via Boroughbridge & Masham. The Yorkshire Dales are absolutely beautiful even when it rains and it poured down just before Ripon until we reached our ice cream stop in Masham, we got drenched!
48.6 quite hilly miles with an average of 15.5 mph.

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Manage to fit in 3 rides this weekend.

Ride 1 : Just needed to get out after work on Friday, so took a short run out to Bassersdorf through the back roads. It was very hot and quite windy so I stopped for a Lemon and Lime Cornetto (never seen them before, very tasty!) before taking the main route back home into a red hot headwind.

Ride 2: A couple of friends and myself have been talking about going out for a ride together for some time now.... It very nearly happened, unfortunately one had to drop out, so instead I headed out to meet my other friend at Dubendorf and we headed over the hills to Rapperswil. Again it was extremely hot - I was hoping that being later in the afternoon it would cool down a bit, but no such luck! Nevertheless it was a pleasant ride out. We stopped for Coffee and Cake in Rapperswil and took a fairly long break. The plan was to take Route 66 back into Zürich as it takes a route through the vineyards on the banks of Lake Zurich, but when it came to it, we decided on the easy route down the east coast. I stopped for an Ice Cream to help me get up the hill back home. Another nice ride, though my friend could do with learning how to ride with others. Kept racing off at his own pace and complaining he didn't know where I was. He'll slow down when he gets to my age

Ride 3: My normal Sunday Coffee and Cake run to Baden and back. Except this time no Coffee or Cake

Total 178kms for the weekend. That'll do, bit tired now!

IMG_3547.jpg
Heading out past Greifensee
IMG_3556.JPG
At the highest point before the run down to Rapperswil
IMG_0034.JPG
Sunday Coffee and Cake Ride to Baden and back
IMG_0036.JPG
But with no Coffee or Cake!

Well club had a 25. Mi time trial miles away so did my own thing. Route was improvised.
Through the park, round the lower part of the Drift Road Loop (not in use for theTT)
Through to Twyford, Wargrave and Hare Hatch. Improvised again coming back, found myself a little 2 far south but corrected that, along Drift road and a different way through the park.
Had refreshments at Garden centre

53.84 miles @16.6 mph good speed , Don’t often manage 50 miles at 3 hours pace

1696 feet climbed
https://www.strava.com/activities/1704121960

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
View attachment 419466 View attachment 419467 View attachment 419468 View attachment 419469 Yesterday, the family and I went out to ride Monsal Trail in the Peak District. 8.5 miles each way, flat, lots of tunnels with very smooth surfaces, and beautiful limestone scenery.

We rode from Bakewell to Wye Dale and back. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Saw people abseiling from one of the bridges (85’), a group of horse riders, scout and guide groups fully laden with rucksacks, sleeping mats, etc.

Lots of people on the trail, but nothing inhibitive. A great day out.

Monsal Trail is a lovely little ride, not least because a small detour at the end and you end up with authentic Bakewell Tarts!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It seemed a shame to waste another sunny Sunday morning, so out again, but heading east instead of North.
This meant I'd have the 'breeze' behind me on the way out, but with a forecast windspeed of just 6mph it shouldn't present a problem on the return leg, should it..?

It felt quite blowy on the way down to Barwick Road, but there didn't seem too much assistance climbing the hill from Cock Beck up to Scholes so I thought no more of it. Past the Coronation Tree and up the hill, then the long descent through Barwick. As I arrived in the village I could hear some expensive sounding freewheeling behind me, so got a bit of a spurt on, passing a couple ambling along and giving it the beans down the hill to cross Cock Beck again, which gave me a good run up the hill on Cattle Lane, but I was still passed just beyond the top by a couple of lads who barely looked to be breaking sweat...:rolleyes:
More ups and downs to Aberford, then through the village and under the A1(M) to climb up to Lotherton Gates.
Left there for the long downhill past the Crooked Billet (very busy car park this morning) and the right up that sharp hill into Saxton.
Through there and out to Barkston Ash between the fields on tree-lined roads that always remind me of being in France.
Then it's the long straight to Church Fenton and onto Brackenhill Lane, heading for Ryther around the airfield, but at the last second and for a bit of variety I took the lane towards Biggin.
Pleased to see that the village pub appears to have re-opened - it was all shuttered up last time I passed - so I stopped for a quick photo:
IMG_20180715_091124711.jpg

Still too early for a pint, although one would have gone down well in the rising temperatures, so on my way again and out to the B1222 Bishopdyke Road and left towards Cawood over the railway line.
I should have realised just how much the wind was blowing along here as I was bowling along at just under 20mph without really putting too much effort in, but the sun was shining and I was enjoying the ride. Past the Stocksbridge Technology Centre, then past the turning for Wistow where there were signs up advising of a cycle race later in the morning.
I soon reached Cawood and turned left at the lights to start the homeward loop and once clear of the village it did become clear that it had got a bit blowy.
It's very flat and open out here too, so there isn't a lot of shelter from it either. Past the legendary Mrs B's Lakeside kitchen and on towards Ryther, passing a family group and with a lot of motorbikes heading the other way.
There was an irrigation machine watering one of the fields and some of it was being blown on to the road - nice and refreshing in the heat. :okay:
Anyway, onward through Ryther and on to Ozendyke, still conscious of the 'breeze' but maintaining a decent pace, before stopping at Ulleskelf for sustenance and a couple more pics:
IMG_20180715_094146531.jpg
IMG_20180715_094218206_HDR.jpg

While I was stopped WVM pulled up alongside and shouted over, asking if I knew the way to Ryther.
That's easy, 2 miles that way, straight along this road, said I, but then he started asking me about parking arrangements and other stuff I had no idea about. :wacko:
Anyway, after the schadenfreude of watching a club ride take the wrong turn at the junction and then sorting themselves out, I was off myself heading south for Church Fenton again past the airfield entrance.
It looks like they're filming Queen Victoria in the hangers there again although I didn't see the lovely Jenna Coleman anywhere :sad:
Through the village, then on to Barkston Ash and the long way round to Saxton via the London Road and Saxton Lane.
Through there and up Cold Hill Lane intending to stop for a final pic at Linda's Bench, but finding it already full of ramblers eating their sandwiches I carried on , before dropping down onto Copley Lane and heading back to Lotherton Gates, then Aberford and reversing my earlier outbound route homeward.
The climb up through Barwick was a bit slower than usual in that heat and with the breeze, but I carried on, before dropping down into Scholes and for the first time in an age having to pedal downhill on Leeds Road to maintain a decent speed.
From there it's local roads up to home and the end of the ride.

37.09 miles (59.69km) in 2h 32m at an average of 14.6 mph with just 1,420ft climbed and an average temperature of 22.4°C

Despite the unexpected wind resistance (if that 'breeze' was 6mph I'll eat my hat!) another good ride in gloriously sunny conditions that once again felt a lot warmer out there on the bike. Lots of cyclists out, all taking advantage of the weather and nice to add a bit of variety to the ride with a couple of roads I've not cycled for a while.

Edit to add, that puts me past 1,500 miles for the year so far. Not a lot compared to many, but happy with that.

And to end, the map:
15072018.JPG

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Metric Century a Month Challenge time again. As with a couple of earlier challenge rides this year, I utilised an already quite longish club ride by getting out early and adding on 12 miles at the beginning and, after a brief pub stop at the end, adding on the necessary remaining miles to bring it up to just over 62 miles (100km). The club ride was pretty flat, with the exception of one big climb up from Nailsworth to the top of Coaley Peak via Horsley and Nympsfield. All the club groups had been advised to turn up at the same time, which turned out to be Pimms O'clock. A pleasant and most welcome surprise picnic had been laid on at Coaley Peak Viewpoint .... complete with table decked out in KCC logo, with rolls, cakes, strawberries and three jugs of ice cold Pimms cocktails and a barrel of fruit cider. You can see the River Severn in the background from this terrific viewpoint:
207.JPG

That lot stoked me up nicely for my last 30 miles. My drinks were running low, and my last gulp disappeared in the sunshine on the banks of the Severn at Arlingham:
208 Arlingham.JPG

A beautiful cold pint of San Miguel went down nicely in the beer garden of the Barn Owl pub in Kingsway at the end of the ride, and I also topped up my bottle with a pint of orange juice and lemonade ... with plenty of ice. 7 more miles on my own brought up 62.3 miles (100.2km), my July effort for the MCaM Challenge completed.
209 Another metric century.JPG

Hot sunshine is not my favourite of conditions for cycling long distances, but I guess that is the beauty of this challenge. One month it's windy or raining, one month you are doing it in the snow and then along come the drought conditions leaving you on your knees begging for water like a character from Beau Geste. Oh well, I'm still in it. Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Went back to mercia CC for a ride today as i fancied a longer one, velo moira is great but their sunday ride is a bit small for me so i normally top it up anyway, managed to clock 200 miles for the week .
Met someone i have never sen before claims he is a member of CC and has done the Bosworth ride with @Supersuperleeds , @broady etc but he didnt say his name , anyway hello who ever you are :smile:
Anyhoo , good base miles but ruddy hot at the end !
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1704360042/embed/3575990ac3559e6b220693dfc611d0caff2d4231
'></iframe>

It might be Martin, mate of @Chris Doyle

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Metric Century a Month Challenge time again. As with a couple of earlier challenge rides this year, I utilised an already quite longish club ride by getting out early and adding on 12 miles at the beginning and, after a brief pub stop at the end, adding on the necessary remaining miles to bring it up to just over 62 miles (100km). The club ride was pretty flat, with the exception of one big climb up from Nailsworth to the top of Coaley Peak via Horsley and Nympsfield. All the club groups had been advised to turn up at the same time, which turned out to be Pimms O'clock. A pleasant and most welcome surprise picnic had been laid on at Coaley Peak Viewpoint .... complete with table decked out in KCC logo, with rolls, cakes, strawberries and three jugs of ice cold Pimms cocktails and a barrel of fruit cider. You can see the River Severn in the background from this terrific viewpoint:
View attachment 419514
That lot stoked me up nicely for my last 30 miles. My drinks were running low, and my last gulp disappeared in the sunshine on the banks of the Severn at Arlingham:
View attachment 419515
A beautiful cold pint of San Miguel went down nicely in the beer garden of the Barn Owl pub in Kingsway at the end of the ride, and I also topped up my bottle with a pint of orange juice and lemonade ... with plenty of ice. 7 more miles on my own brought up 62.3 miles (100.2km), my July effort for the MCaM Challenge completed.
View attachment 419516
Hot sunshine is not my favourite of conditions for cycling long distances, but I guess that is the beauty of this challenge. One month it's windy or raining, one month you are doing it in the snow and then along come the drought conditions leaving you on your knees begging for water like a character from Beau Geste. Oh well, I'm still in it. Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

That's one mashed up looking bolt head there @Donger :biggrin:

jongooligan

Legendary Member

A like for the write up but thumbs down for the beer. C'mon you've got to up your game and find a decent pint on your ride.

Top Bottom