Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
C3970F95-FC8E-434D-BEF4-F4FEC5F0EFF9.jpeg
59172D5B-A7E2-43A4-9C52-D0EC29EBFC68.jpeg
6074552B-0682-4067-AB0E-94D139CB0447.jpeg
53775575-AC33-4124-B881-26527F61FD40.jpeg
51CCD931-A3A1-45D4-A966-98931249E39E.jpeg

We were out on a 9 mile walk yesterday from Bainbridge around Lake Semerwater and back, 9 miles of hills! My walking legs were in so much pain this morning but felt much better on 2 wheels! we had just an hour to kill today so a short grind to the top of Grinton Moor and then the decent back to Leyburn, Wensley and back to base in Middleham, fabulous!
I’ve included pics of the stunning Yorkshire Dales during our walk and one from our ride today.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A couple of nice rides this weekend. Saturday three of us rode to Heybridge basin, when we arrived the regatta was in full flow, managed to get a table in the cafe overlooking all the action, although the boats where a bit to far out to see much, bit of wind on the way down, but a good ride most of the route the roads were very quiet.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1702211419
Sunday a bit of an easier ride to Hatfield Heath, found a slightly different route back to the Toots, again roads where really quiet, untill we got back to Waltham Abbey, Both rides ended at the pub, Not to good for me as i can't drink alcohol till Monday evening when normal service will be resumed, :laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1704301555
Another good weekend cycling.:okay:

colly

Re member eR
A 10 am start for me. After a night out last night I reckon that's not too shabby.
My youngest son is marrying his partner next month and so a 'boys' night out was called for. So being Leeds it had to be the 'Otley Run'
We had made it into Leeds centre before I gave up and left them to it.

So back to today. Another hot day in prospect and so it had to be west and a bit north, heading for the hills.
Past the park and up Slaid Hill I made for Arthington Road on the other side of Eccup Reservior and took the steep decent down Black Hill Road and took a left to Arthington, where I promptly shipped my chain.

20180715_103956.jpg

No problem for an 'Experienced Rambling Cycler' and I was soon on my way.

I headed through Pool-in-Wharfedale and up to Farnley where I made for Linley Reservoir.
20180715_111324.jpg

20180715_111356.jpg

Which as you can see is down a good bit.

On the far side of the bridge across Linley Reservoir is the not inconsiderable climb of Norwood Edge.
It's used as part of a two part hill climb competition by Otley CC

https://cyclinguphill.com/norwood-edge/ Looking south.

Just before the top I stopped to get a couple of photos :

20180715_113150.jpg

Beyond the line of fir trees is Linley Reservoir which lies in the Washburn Valley. Down which the River Washburn runs. ( why it's not a 'dale' I can't say) Over the crest of the next hill is Wharfedale with Otley Chevin on the far side.

My intention was to ride on and take the road down to the next Reservoir which is Swinsty and then Fewston, but it's been a while since I was up here and I took the wrong turn and while it took me down some small charming lanes with some spectacular views :

20180715_114258.jpg

20180715_115516.jpg

Swinsty in the second picture with Menwith Hill US Base in the distance. I soon realised I was literally on the wrong track to get to the reservoirs so I retraced a way but decided on a fresh plan.

I took some even smaller lanes and headed for a place I had come across before while out walking. The road was steep going down and had sometime in the past been top dressed. Virtualy no cars get down here and so the decents were excuciatingly slow and skiddy. I lost confidence on 20% downhill bits with both wheels slipping and sliding.
Eventually I came to the turn I hoped would get me on the right track. So steep, so crumbly I got off and carefully walked down. And I found what I was looking for:

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101295637-dob-park-bridge-norwood

20180715_120418.jpg

20180715_120504.jpg

20180715_120703.jpg

Built in the 17th Century it's an old pack horse bridge across the River Washburn.

So up the other side of the valley it was at first rough track, which led onto less rough track and eventually tarmac. Ridable all the way up this side. Once on the tarmac the road reared up. It was steep. I'm not sure what RWGPS has it but it's at least 25% and quite probably more.
I stopped about 2/3 of the way up. Was I out of breath? Did my legs give out? Was I simply too tired? None of that I swear.
It was so hot, sun on my back etc etc and I was sweating so much my eyes were filled with salty water. I simply could not see where I was going. So a quick clean up and I was on my way again.
While stopped I rang a friend who lives in Otley and told him to bung the kettle on. I called in and we chatted putting the world to rights for an hour or so.

So the trip back home was still very hot and I made my way back via Pool and Arthington and retraced my steps back up the steep Black Hill Lane. More considerable perspiring.
On to familiar roads near Eccup and Alwoodley and back home past the park.

All in 37miles with about 3100 ft up uphill.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25542273

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Up early yesterday.
6 o' clock start from outside the charity shop in Partick my wife volunteers in.

Birth , Baby and Beyond .
I'd offered to do a small fund raiser for them.
Decided on cycling to the Scottish parliament to mark the first year of the baby boxes for every child born in Scotland.

So it was the Parliament and back.
Used the two canals ,Forth and Clyde then the Union.

Longer than the roads but traffic free.

Exact mileage is debatable.
Strava had me at 113, but with a couple of long straight lines. There are no straight bits on the Union.

My mate who joined me had 120 , which is probably right.
53 miles of canal × 2 plus a few miles in each city.

Great day , even although I wouldn't recommend the union canal route.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
A 10 am start for me. After a night out last night I reckon that's not too shabby.
My youngest son is marrying his partner next month and so a 'boys' night out was called for. So being Leeds it had to be the 'Otley Run'
We had made it into Leeds centre before I gave up and left them to it.

Respect is due. :notworthy: That is some ride the day after doing the Otley run. :cheers: I'd need a week in bed.

A 10 am start for me.
to Arthington, where I promptly shipped my chain.

View attachment 419567

No problem for an 'Experienced Rambling Cycler' and I was soon on my way.
Quite an impressive tangle nonetheless!

I headed through Pool-in-Wharfedale and up to Farnley where I made for Linley Reservoir.
View attachment 419572
View attachment 419573

Which as you can see is down a good bit.
It certainly is!!!

On the far side of the bridge across Linley Reservoir is the not inconsiderable climb of Norwood Edge.
It's used as part of a two part hill climb competition by Otley CC

https://cyclinguphill.com/norwood-edge/ Looking south.
The other (first?) section being East Chevin, isn't it??
A heck of a climb!!!

I took some even smaller lanes and headed for a place I had come across before while out walking. The road was steep going down and had sometime in the past been top dressed. Virtualy no cars get down here and so the decents were excuciatingly slow and skiddy. I lost confidence on 20% downhill bits with both wheels slipping and sliding.
Eventually I came to the turn I hoped would get me on the right track. So steep, so crumbly I got off and carefully walked down. And I found what I was looking for:

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101295637-dob-park-bridge-norwood

View attachment 419585
View attachment 419586
View attachment 419587

Built in the 17th Century it's an old pack horse bridge across the River Washburn.

So up the other side of the valley it was at first rough track, which led onto less rough track and eventually tarmac. Ridable all the way up this side. Once on the tarmac the road reared up. It was steep. I'm not sure what RWGPS has it but it's at least 25% and quite probably more.

Dobpark Bridge!!
One of my favourite spots in West Yorkshire!!:wub:
A few years ago, when I had Landies, I'd often drive up there, park by the side
Sit on a rock, with a flask of tea, & my 'Yorkshire Post', dreaming of being allowed to build a house overlooking it

(after all, there's houses very close to Beckfoot Bridge, at Bingley)
Agreed the north-east ascent is a fair old climb from the bridge, for ease it was always 'low-box 3rd', in any of the Landies

Discovery. S50 RAT. Green-Laning. Otley. Dob Park Bridge. 12.8.05. 4.JPG Defender. S50 RAT. Green-Laning. West Yorkshire. Otley. Dob Park Bridge. 5.JPG West Yorkshire Scenes. Pack-Horse Bridge. Dob Park 1.jpg West Yorkshire Scenes. Pack-Horse Bridge. Dob Park 2.jpg

colly

Re member eR
I'm amazed you managed to get such a big vehicle down there.
I know they are made for that sort of stuff but even so.

I'm amazed you managed to get such a big vehicle down there.
I know they are made for that sort of stuff but even so.
Not sure what state Dob Park (as the lane to it, from Newall Carr Road, is called) is in now

But back then, & I sold the 110 (my last Landie), back in 2010, it was essentially a 'farm-track' once you got past Dob Park Farm
It was nothing unusual, or difficult, just a steady plod, in low-box

The base of the Ford is (or was) surfaced with stone setts, which will undoubtedly got displaced over the years, by water (before the building of Swinsty Reservoir), and farm vehicles
The climb out was definitely a nice one, certainly not one for 'the average car'
I'm not sure how this climbed out, but then again, cars were a lot lower geared back then, & had better ground-clearance

An Austin 7, apparently!
41c4d43bf40054d550ba4b3828b9ac2d.jpg

For me, though, the biggest problem was the sharp right turn onto Lower Norwood Road, as 110's don't have the best steering lock, then, a down hill turn onto the 'Norwood Hill' (being wary of downhill traffic/bikes)

I'll be honest though, & state that I've never visited (the remains of) Dob Park Lodge
Looking at it, online now, I really ought to make time
Dob%20Park%20Lodge.jpg

EDIT @ 11:06

The junction with Lower Norwood Road (the bridge is down to the right)
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.955029,-1.701299,112.48h,-15.21p,0.24z

This is as far as it goes from the south-west, to the end of the 'road'
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.94769,-1.703837,359.09h,-10.04p,1z

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
53 miles of canal × 2 plus a few miles in each city.
Great day , even although I wouldn't recommend the union canal route.
Many kudos to you, that was a ride and a half, twice on that canal on the same day, with yesterday's relentless drizzle too!

My ride ... ahem ... yesterday, Sunday.
The Scottish drizzle did come back yesterday, still quite hot and clammy though.
I had proposed a Glasgow Belles ride to the Campsies of Clachan, well, to the bottom of them, the visitor's centre.
It is a lovely route, first along the canal , then a turn off after Kirkintilloch onto a decommissioned railway path.
It is a good 7 miles across town for me to get to the start of the route, there was hardly anybody about at 9am, so I made it in record time, just over 30 minutes.
Only another Belle was there to join me, of my same ability and frame of mind: getting wet was not a problem, an average of 10mph wasn't an issue either.
Not far from our destination, I got distracted admiring the scenery, rode into the kerb, promptly fell off! This is the second time in a week, I'm a proper numpty!
We took a slightly different route back to show my new friend a segregate facility she wasn't aware of, then we parted ways.
I carried on to the east end to visit a friend, then to Tesco before heading home.
48 miles for me, was too wet to be bothered make it 50, besides my pannier weighted a tonne with the shopping :laugh:
Mist on top of the Campsies: the road leading to the top of the hill in the picture is the Crow road, a popular run for road cyclists.
I've never tried to get up there, because I would be terrified to come back down!
Campsies in the mist.jpg

At the visitors' centre there is a lovely cafe cum art shop, a couple of craft shops, and, of corse, the famous LBS Wheelcraft, run by Al the wheel builder.
Useful to know if you don't have access to a car but would like to visit (there are many walking paths that start from here), round the corner there is the terminal for bus x85 from Buchanan bus station, the service is frequent.
20180715_121203.jpg

Some more pictures from the route:
20180715_131721.jpg
20180715_133601.jpg
20180715_134612.jpg

Strava link for the locals, avoiding going through Kelvingrove park as it was blocked due to an event.

Mr Celine

Discordian
My last holiday write up appears to have been somewhat controversial so to avoid upsetting anyone I decided to have a thoroughly British ride and to stick to the Queen's English in my report thereon.
Donning my best cycling tweeds, plus fours and brogues I waited until the stroke of noon before buttoning down the flaps of my deerstalker to provide protection from the fierce heat of the sun.
The roads were very quiet, apparently due to some soccer match which was played last night. Clearly Johnny Foreigner still hasn't twigged that cricket is the summer game. At least with the roads being nearly empty I didn't have to remonstrate with the locals about their dangerous habit of driving on the wrong side.
Exploring the locality led Mrs Celine and I to a celebrated local waterfall, which unfortunately has an unpronounceable foreign name.
IMG_20180716_103532.jpg

IMG_20180716_105253.jpg

We carried on into the empty French countryside.
I stopped here to ponder over what beastliness a 'source du groin' might involve....
IMG_20180716_115203.jpg

....and to wait for Mrs Celine, who appears to be avoiding me.

IMG_20180716_115310.jpg

After a refreshing lemonade in a local café it was time to turn for home, a late luncheon and a piping hot bath.
Herewith a map of our ride in imperial measurements, naturally.
temporary_file-171776170.jpg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
My last holiday write up appears to have been somewhat controversial so to avoid upsetting anyone I decided to have a thoroughly British ride and to stick to the Queen's English in my report thereon.
Donning my best cycling tweeds, plus fours and brogues I waited until the stroke of noon before buttoning down the flaps of my deerstalker to provide protection from the fierce heat of the sun.
The roads were very quiet, apparently due to some soccer match which was played last night. Clearly Johnny Foreigner still hasn't twigged that cricket is the summer game. At least with the roads being nearly empty I didn't have to remonstrate with the locals about their dangerous habit of driving on the wrong side.
Exploring the locality led Mrs Celine and I to a celebrated local waterfall, which unfortunately has an unpronounceable foreign name.
View attachment 419669

View attachment 419670
We carried on into the empty French countryside.
I stopped here to ponder over what beastliness a 'source du groin' might involve....
View attachment 419671

....and to wait for Mrs Celine, who appears to be avoiding me.

View attachment 419672
After a refreshing lemonade in a local café it was time to turn for home, a late luncheon and a piping hot bath.
Herewith a map of our ride in imperial measurements, naturally.
View attachment 419675
Naturally. :okay:

Top Bottom