Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As promised (threatened? :whistle:) My 'Ride Today', from yesterday ...

Local forum member @Littgull and I met quite a few years ago on one of my forum rides and we have ridden together regularly ever since, on forum rides and also on rides that we don't post on CycleChat. There is some great riding round here, but we do tend to end up doing the same routes over and over again. So, what we sometimes used to do was for Brian to drive our bikes out to somewhere else and do a ride from there. That came to an end when he came back from a ride to find that a dozy driver had written off his parked car ("It wasn't my fault - I couldn't see where I was going because the low sun was dazzling me..."!!!!! :wacko:)

Brian was coming up to retirement and wasn't fond of driving anyway, so he decided not to replace the car. I don't drive. That means that we now have to either start and finish all of our rides locally, or catch trains to other ride venues. Catching multiple trains each way is a bit of a pain, especially when stupid rail company bosses cock up new timetables and alienate their workforces by trying to impose new work practices! (Cancelled services, late trains, non-bike carrying rail replacement buses ...)

But ... one good development on the local railways has been the restoration of 'Todmorden Curve'. For some unfathomable reason, a 500 metre length of track had been removed 40 years ago between Todmorden station and the line to Burnley and beyond. It meant that anyone travelling from Littleborough (Brian!) or Todmorden (me!) would have had to change trains at Hebden Bridge in both directions to get on or off that line - a right pain! With the reopening of a direct route came new services. Once the new timetable has been restored we will be able to catch direct trains to Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley. For now though, we can make do with getting on and off at Rose Grove, between Burnley and Padiham. Doing that eliminates 32 km (20 miles) of lumpy, busy A-road from our rides. That distance can then be added back in on nicer roads to the Yorkshire Dales, the Forest of Bowland, or the flatlands of the Fylde and Wyre districts near Blackpool and Fleetwood.

That is the background to yesterday's ride! I wanted to test a new route which will be used for next March's annual forum ride to Conder Green/Glasson Dock. I had come up with a route which was exactly 161 km (an imperial century) from Rose Grove Station to the Cafe d' Lune at Conder Green and back via a stiff climb which I had only done a couple of times before, around 12 years ago.

So, I caught the 07:35 train to Rose Grove and (as planned) found a chirpy Littgull on board with his bike. It is only a short trip on the train but it made such a difference not having to ride up and down the A646 yet again!

Unfortunately, the recent glorious weather had come to an abrupt finish. It was peeing it down when we got off the train at Rose Grove. Brian was on his touring bike which has full mudguards. My bike didn't even have its 'Ass Guard' (which had been transplanted onto my singlespeed bike and not returned to my Cannondale) so I was reluctant to set off immediately. We sheltered for about 15 minutes until the rain abated, and then headed off down the Padiham Greenway. There was a lot of standing water, so I was riding slowly to avoid spraying too much over myself. The weather gradually improved during the day, although showers returned for a while later on.

We did our usual route via the Old Roman Road to Spring Wood visitor centre above Whalley, where we often arrange to meet up with other riders, and then down the hill into the town itself.

Normally, we head off towards Mitton, but my new route took us on an interesting variation ... We turned left at the mini-roundabout in Whalley and soon left again to take us up a pleasant, gradual climb to the hamlet of York, where we turned right and descended through Langho, over the river Ribble and then turned right just before Ribchester.

A pleasant, not too-gruelling 4 km climb took us to Longridge Fell, and an undulating road took us along the top of the Fell to Longridge itself.

After that there was a descent and an easy flat ride for 32 km (20 miles) into the Fylde district, then back up to Whitechapel, just below Beacon Fell. We ascended to the west of some big Fells, with glorious views towards Lancaster and Morecambe Bay.

A rapid descent through Oakenclough took us via Galgate to our stop at Cafe d' Lune, Conder Green.

After a good break there and a chat about various deep and meaningful subjects, it was time to head back.

The cafe stop had been at 96 km (60-ish miles) so we had a much shorter ride back, but we still had the toughest climb ahead of us, from Quernmore to Jubilee Tower. There was a good descent to Lower Lee, a short climb to Higher Emmetts, then we began to ascend again from Marshaw to the summit above the Trough of Bowland.

We stopped at the top to take a few photos. The one of Brian and our bikes was a blurred mess - notes to self: focus camera, hold still when taking shots, check pictures afterwards! A couple did turn out though ...

We had been seeing warnings of the fire risk. Car parks were shut, notices everywhere ...

Fire risk sign.jpg

And tributes to a couple of long-gone cyclists ...

Trough cyclists.jpg

A rapid descent took us down the Trough of Bowland into the valley below, where Brian asked me the stunning question "So, when do we get to the Trough of Bowland?" Given that we had (a) just done it and (b) that is unmistakably big and scenic, it seemed impossible that he hadn't even noticed it! Maybe he has got so fit that steep hills don't register any more ... I pointed out his error, and he slapped his head in horror - "My God, how could I possibly make a mistake like that!" Old age, Brian - old age ...

I suddenly realised that we were coming to a short steep ascent that always used to catch me out. Not this time, baby. I slammed the bike into bottom gear, leapt out of the saddle and began my grovelling gear sprint up the ramp, only to discover that it felt way harder than it should have done. I must have been more tired than I thought I was. It was almost as though I were riding my singlespeed bike. I battled with my bike all the way to the top, looked down and realised that I had sent the chain the wrong way on the cassette - instead of selecting an easy 28/30 gear, I had inadvertently selected a much harder 28/12. I slapped my head in horror - "My God, how could I possibly make a mistake like that!" Old age, Colin - old age ... :laugh:

We went past Dunsop Bridge, climbed up through the woods after Whitewell, descended to Doeford Bridge, then climbed to Walker Fold on the northern flanks of Longridge Fell.

We descended from the Fell road, and returned to Rose Grove via Mitton, Whalley, Spring Wood, the Old Roman Rd, Padiham and the Greenway, getting back in good time for our return train.

We liked our new travel arrangements. The 32 kms/20 miles on the A646 were not missed one little bit. A Very Good Day Out!

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm starting to see a pattern here, but I set the alarm early with the intention of getting out and back before it got too warm but for reasons that still aren't entirely clear it was almost 8am before I finally set off...curse that snooze button! ^_^

Anyhow, blue skies, barely a cloud and glorious sunshine again and off up Coal Road, torn between a loop out to Otley and heading north for a run beyond Wetherby. The breeze was definitely a bit swirlier than I was expecting and it seemed right in my face up Red Hall Lane and again as I turned onto Whin Moor Lane off the A58.
By the time I'd climbed up through Shadwell to Slaid Hill lights (green again, what's going on?), I'd decided I wasn't going to Otley as the idea of riding 15 miles into that didn't appeal.
So, onto Wike Ridge Lane and then Tarn Lane for a wind assisted shove along to Ling Lane at the top of Scarcroft, then back onto the A58 for the mainly downhill run to Collingham.
I'm pretty sure that I was on for a best ever time here, :whistle: but was thwarted by a set of temporary traffic lights as I entered Bardsey, just as the only uphill section of the whole 3.6 miles starts. They eventually changed and I was off again from a dead stop, but then hit the proper traffic lights in the village at red and then decided that was enough charging about and to enjoy the rest of the ride. (When I checked Garmin later I'd actually set my slowest ever time, so that's a result of a different type :laugh: )
Into Collingham, then the dog leg and over the river into Linton for the usual lumpiness, eventually arriving on the edge of Wetherby and up the hill towards Spofforth. The long descent down the other side was into the breeze again but I soon reached Spofforth and along the causeway, taking the undulating road towards Little Ribston. The first climb was hard work today and I was starting to feel a bit rough if I'm honest, so after a while I stopped to give myself 5 minutes.
As I looked around and got my breath I thought how glorious the countryside looked, so took a couple of pics:
View attachment 419328 View attachment 419329 View attachment 419331 View attachment 419332
A couple of joggers passed and said hello, and feeling a bit more like it I soon set off again and was whizzing along in the high 20's (mph) thanks to a bit of wind assistance and the gradual slope down into the village.
Through there and along the road to the Ox Close Lane turning and more glorious countryside riding although there were plenty of flies out today...xx(
Over the two bridges and into Cowthorpe, I was aware of another cyclist 10 or so yards behind me, although they never made any attempt to close the gap or say hello, seemingly happy to sit behind. I must check my shorts haven't gone see-through...:laugh:
At the crossroads I turned south while my silent companion continued straight on, heading along the side of the airfield and heading down Rudgate. Still not feeling 100% I decided at this point to make the ride a metric half rather than anything longer.

I also found myself cycling into the breeze again - so that was west, north and now south into the wind...:wacko:

Anyhow, a brief pause at Rudgate crossroads and across and down the road past fields of golden crops, avoiding the photographer stood in the middle of the road taking pictures of the fields...:eek: (he saw me, acknowledged me, but elected to stay there).
The back road into Walton, through the village passing a couple of horse riders (properly, I'm no triathlete :whistle:) and then decided to try the 'hidden' cycle path along side the Wetherby Road. It's very nice, lovely smooth tarmac and out of the way of the traffic on the race track road so I may well ride that way again. Unlike the NCN R665 it connects to which has some of the lumpiest tarmac known to man or beast.
Luckily I wasn't going that way, but headed south again to Thorp Arch and across the river to Boston Spa, getting in the way of a Mercedes driver who wanted to use both lanes to turn left into the car park...:dry:.
The usual route then to Clifford, up and down the hill to Bramham, more up again out of there and across the A1(M) and the long way round to Thorner, stopping at the junction of Holme farm Lane and Milner Lane for a Snickers bar and a final couple of pics:
View attachment 419333 View attachment 419334
I was starting to feel OK now, and the chocolatey and nutty goodness seemed to help, so along Milner Lane and down the hill into Thorner, then out via Carr Lane to the A58, along there and up onto Coal Road, where the 'Your Speed Is...' sign might have frowned at me :ohmy:
Then it's local roads down to home, with a long loop added at the end to round the mileage up.

40.01 miles (64.38 miles) in 2h 52m at an average of 14.0 mph with 2,030ft climbed and an average temperature of 19.7°C although once again it felt a lot warmer.

So, another point in the Half Century Challenge and once I'd got into the groove another enjoyable ride. I felt fine when I got home, so not sure what was up with me mid ride? I might give smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast a miss for a while though. ^_^
Lots of cyclists out again, most of the motorists were playing nicely (and the one who honked his horn at me seemed friendly enough as he passed :scratch:) so it's all good.

To end, the map:
View attachment 419335

What camera did you use.Brilliant photos.Pin sharp.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
An early start for me again, out the door at 0530hrs and I was heading towards that London place again, this time aiming for the home of English football, Wembley Stadium. A rather indifferent sort of ride TBH, with a hassle free route to the stadium where I paused for pics of the rugby team
15 July 2018 Rugby Squad At Wembley.jpg

And of course Bobby Moore
15 July 2018 Bobby Moore At Wembley.jpg

Home via Ealing with the excitement that is, as I discovered, the North Circular which was busy for early on a Sunday I thought. Through Richmond Park and Bushey Park, stopped for a cuppa with Dad and squeezed a huge courgette into the saddlepack.
62.3 miles this morning, home before it's hot.

As promised (threatened? :whistle:) My 'Ride Today', from yesterday ...

Local forum member @Littgull and I met quite a few years ago on one of my forum rides and we have ridden together regularly ever since, on forum rides and also on rides that we don't post on CycleChat. There is some great riding round here, but we do tend to end up doing the same routes over and over again. So, what we sometimes used to do was for Brian to drive our bikes out to somewhere else and do a ride from there. That came to an end when he came back from a ride to find that a dozy driver had written off his parked car ("It wasn't my fault - I couldn't see where I was going because the low sun was dazzling me..."!!!!! :wacko:)

Brian was coming up to retirement and wasn't fond of driving anyway, so he decided not to replace the car. I don't drive. That means that we now have to either start and finish all of our rides locally, or catch trains to other ride venues. Catching multiple trains each way is a bit of a pain, especially when stupid rail company bosses cock up new timetables and alienate their workforces by trying to impose new work practices! (Cancelled services, late trains, non-bike carrying rail replacement buses ...)

But ... one good development on the local railways has been the restoration of 'Todmorden Curve'. For some unfathomable reason, a 500 metre length of track had been removed 40 years ago between Todmorden station and the line to Burnley and beyond. It meant that anyone travelling from Littleborough (Brian!) or Todmorden (me!) would have had to change trains at Hebden Bridge in both directions to get on or off that line - a right pain! With the reopening of a direct route came new services. Once the new timetable has been restored we will be able to catch direct trains to Clitheroe in the Ribble Valley. For now though, we can make do with getting on and off at Rose Grove, between Burnley and Padiham. Doing that eliminates 32 km (20 miles) of lumpy, busy A-road from our rides. That distance can then be added back in on nicer roads to the Yorkshire Dales, the Forest of Bowland, or the flatlands of the Fylde and Wyre districts near Blackpool and Fleetwood.

That is the background to yesterday's ride! I wanted to test a new route which will be used for next March's annual forum ride to Conder Green/Glasson Dock. I had come up with a route which was exactly 161 km (an imperial century) from Rose Grove Station to the Cafe d' Lune at Conder Green and back via a stiff climb which I had only done a couple of times before, around 12 years ago.

So, I caught the 07:35 train to Rose Grove and (as planned) found a chirpy Littgull on board with his bike. It is only a short trip on the train but it made such a difference not having to ride up and down the A646 yet again!

Unfortunately, the recent glorious weather had come to an abrupt finish. It was peeing it down when we got off the train at Rose Grove. Brian was on his touring bike which has full mudguards. My bike didn't even have its 'Ass Guard' (which had been transplanted onto my singlespeed bike and not returned to my Cannondale) so I was reluctant to set off immediately. We sheltered for about 15 minutes until the rain abated, and then headed off down the Padiham Greenway. There was a lot of standing water, so I was riding slowly to avoid spraying too much over myself. The weather gradually improved during the day, although showers returned for a while later on.

We did our usual route via the Old Roman Road to Spring Wood visitor centre above Whalley, where we often arrange to meet up with other riders, and then down the hill into the town itself.

Normally, we head off towards Mitton, but my new route took us on an interesting variation ... We turned left at the mini-roundabout in Whalley and soon left again to take us up a pleasant, gradual climb to the hamlet of York, where we turned right and descended through Langho, over the river Ribble and then turned right just before Ribchester.

A pleasant, not too-gruelling 4 km climb took us to Longridge Fell, and an undulating road took us along the top of the Fell to Longridge itself.

After that there was a descent and an easy flat ride for 32 km (20 miles) into the Fylde district, then back up to Whitechapel, just below Beacon Fell. We ascended to the west of some big Fells, with glorious views towards Lancaster and Morecambe Bay.

A rapid descent through Oakenclough took us via Galgate to our stop at Cafe d' Lune, Conder Green.

After a good break there and a chat about various deep and meaningful subjects, it was time to head back.

The cafe stop had been at 96 km (60-ish miles) so we had a much shorter ride back, but we still had the toughest climb ahead of us, from Quernmore to Jubilee Tower. There was a good descent to Lower Lee, a short climb to Higher Emmetts, then we began to ascend again from Marshaw to the summit above the Trough of Bowland.

We stopped at the top to take a few photos. The one of Brian and our bikes was a blurred mess - notes to self: focus camera, hold still when taking shots, check pictures afterwards! A couple did turn out though ...

We had been seeing warnings of the fire risk. Car parks were shut, notices everywhere ...

View attachment 419378
And tributes to a couple of long-gone cyclists ...

View attachment 419381
A rapid descent took us down the Trough of Bowland into the valley below, where Brian asked me the stunning question "So, when do we get to the Trough of Bowland?" Given that we had (a) just done it and (b) that is unmistakably big and scenic, it seemed impossible that he hadn't even noticed it! Maybe he has got so fit that steep hills don't register any more ... I pointed out his error, and he slapped his head in horror - "My God, how could I possibly make a mistake like that!" Old age, Brian - old age ...

I suddenly realised that we were coming to a short steep ascent that always used to catch me out. Not this time, baby. I slammed the bike into bottom gear, leapt out of the saddle and began my grovelling gear sprint up the ramp, only to discover that it felt way harder than it should have done. I must have been more tired than I thought I was. It was almost as though I were riding my singlespeed bike. I battled with my bike all the way to the top, looked down and realised that I had sent the chain the wrong way on the cassette - instead of selecting an easy 28/30 gear, I had inadvertently selected a much harder 28/12. I slapped my head in horror - "My God, how could I possibly make a mistake like that!" Old age, Colin - old age ... :laugh:

We went past Dunsop Bridge, climbed up through the woods after Whitewell, descended to Doeford Bridge, then climbed to Walker Fold on the northern flanks of Longridge Fell.

We descended from the Fell road, and returned to Rose Grove via Mitton, Whalley, Spring Wood, the Old Roman Rd, Padiham and the Greenway, getting back in good time for our return train.

We liked our new travel arrangements. The 32 kms/20 miles on the A646 were not missed one little bit. A Very Good Day Out!

I really enjoyed reading @colinj’s account of our ride together last Friday. It was a superb day out on the bikes. By the time I had showered, eaten and put things away on Friday night it was too late to post and I was ready for some quality sleep. My head hardly hit the pillow and I was gone. Saturday was very busy as I was out most of the day and evening with my other half and not arriving home until nearly midnight after we took the last train back to Littleborough from Blackburn after attending the very popular Jools Holland R & B Band gig. Hence this being my first proper opportunity to log on to the CC Forum since completing the ride.

Apart from enjoying the companionship, banter and stunning scenery it was very satisfying that our plans to minimise travel and time on the busy road out and back from Todmorden to Burnley proved so successful by starting and finishing our century ride at Rose Grove station. As Colin has mentioned, it opens up additional exciting new options and opportunities for future rides.

I laughed out loud at Colin’s description of our en route age related memory lapses and faux pas. If the BBC ever decide to produce a cycling related version of ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ we two old codgers could provide them with plenty of inspirational material! I’ve added some photos I took on Friday on my mobile phone and you will see that we both need to hold our phone cameras more steadily to avoid blurred photos. A few of mine were too blurred to be worthwhile top upload.

Looking forward to many more rides like these over the coming months and years.

Attachments

• A rather blurred Colin.jpg
    A rather blurred Colin.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Colin in between smiles.jpg
    Colin in between smiles.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 30
  • Looking back towards north from Trough of Bowland summit .jpg
    Looking back towards north from Trough of Bowland summit .jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Looking forward towards south from Trough of Bowland summit .jpg
    Looking forward towards south from Trough of Bowland summit .jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Cafe Stop at Conder Green.jpg
    Cafe Stop at Conder Green.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 29

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Just had a pleasant ride over to Letchworth to retrieve the car. It's a ride I do each day on my electric bike, which I'm using for commuting while it's hot.
The e-bike takes about 25 minutes to do the 8 miles. The Brompton took 34 mins, so I'm pretty pleased with that.
And, a Greggs breakfast-related tip.
If the server has just got a tray of sausage rolls out of the oven, wait till they haven't got their hands full before ordering.
This will earn you gratitude, smiles, feel-good points and the most rashers of bacon I've ever seen in a bacon roll.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think I've got about 13kg of bike, and maybe 7kg of motor, battery and general wires and gubbins.
It certainly feels that way if I try and lift it up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really enjoyed reading @colinj’s account of our ride together last Friday. It was a superb day out on the bikes. By the time I had showered, eaten and put things away on Friday night it was too late to post and I was ready for some quality sleep. My head hardly hit the pillow and I was gone. Saturday was very busy as I was out most of the day and evening with my other half and not arriving home until nearly midnight after we took the last train back to Littleborough from Blackburn after attending the very popular Jools Holland R & B Band gig. Hence this being my first proper opportunity to log on to the CC Forum since completing the ride.

Apart from enjoying the companionship, banter and stunning scenery it was very satisfying that our plans to minimise travel and time on the busy road out and back from Todmorden to Burnley proved so successful by starting and finishing our century ride at Rose Grove station. As Colin has mentioned, it opens up additional exciting new options and opportunities for future rides.

I laughed out loud at Colin’s description of our en route age related memory lapses and faux pas. If the BBC ever decide to produce a cycling related version of ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ we two old codgers could provide them with plenty of inspirational material! I’ve added some photos I took on Friday on my mobile phone and you will see that we both need to hold our phone cameras more steadily to avoid blurred photos. A few of mine were too blurred to be worthwhile top upload.

Looking forward to many more rides like these over the coming months and years.
Ha ha - you definitely caught me before the command 'Say cheese' had sunk in! (I've never noticed the resemblance with my older sister before but I can see it in that picture of me scowling.)

I also didn't realise quite how obvious my bald spot has become!

PS Brian - I'll try to start the thread for our proposed forum ride to Wray soon. For anybody who might be interested - it will be on 28th July. It is a fantastic route. A hilly 161+ km (100+ miles) from Rose Grove, or 138+ km (86+ miles) from Spring Wood, Whalley.

PPS Not that my sister is always scowling, but when she does, she looks like that! :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We went out on solo bikes today.
The fields were golden, thunder flies not as bad as yesterday.
We did a loop through Harlton and into Haslingfield.... then Mrs Dave requested we go up Chapel Hill, how times have changed! On the way down I was just winding it up when a pick up started to pull out of a field, that slowed me down!
Out through Fowlmere and Thriplow and back through the Shelfords.
In Grantchester Jefferey Archer was pulling out of his driveway whilst Mary watered the garden.

We stopped at the Green Man for a shandy.

28 miles at a decent pace for her ladyship

https://www.strava.com/activities/1704182860

3671376E-40E1-4159-9420-589A08F248B4.jpeg
D629EAD3-EC01-4267-BDC5-8EDCDEEC5B36.jpeg
EFEA4092-35AD-482D-BFDE-7A9FCE8BCF9D.jpeg
EE0ABDD5-BBAA-4999-A192-B48619EC8418.jpeg
1990CA43-F244-4485-BBE3-B18D9B252C37.jpeg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
5E44A6D6-9EDF-4E60-A080-3D65456288B5.jpeg A684D7E3-5A6E-48EE-8E94-B25C8068D1E7.jpeg 4B82B637-A1B4-4EB9-80F5-92BDAD105C1B.jpeg BA773F6E-90E6-4027-AC9E-9AF04042D221.jpeg Yesterday, the family and I went out to ride Monsal Trail in the Peak District. 8.5 miles each way, flat, lots of tunnels with very smooth surfaces, and beautiful limestone scenery.

We rode from Bakewell to Wye Dale and back. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Saw people abseiling from one of the bridges (85’), a group of horse riders, scout and guide groups fully laden with rucksacks, sleeping mats, etc.

Lots of people on the trail, but nothing inhibitive. A great day out.

How do. :hello:

My first ride after a few days off was the Startline Leicestershire Sportive, a 58 mile flattish loop (well, just shy of) around the Vale of Belvoir in NE Leicestershire.

Originally I was meant to ride the Startline Rutland route back in March, but that got postponed due to the freezing weather conditions at that time and moved to today, which as you can imagine, was quite hot! Set off around 8 this morning and quickly got in with a group of similar abilities which made for very pleasant riding indeed. Only one climb of real note, and quite a long one at that, ensued after about 10 miles and it was then I began to peel away from the group and settle into my comfortable-ish pace which remained for the rest of the ride. There was one feed station about 35 miles in and I stopped off for 5 mins for a cake, drink and a leg stretch and it was off again for the final 20ish.

By pure accident, I found myself in another group of 4 and the pace picked up a little because of this although for a good spell I was on the front for a good 10 miles doing quite a lot of work! Eventually two of the others realised I was tiring with about 6 or so to go and took over (which was just bliss let me tell you!) and they remained there until the finish line where we all crossed together.

All in all 57.7 miles in 3h 11 mins averaging 18.1mph, made possible by the group thing! :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1704122932

https://www.relive.cc/view/1704122932

EDIT: just had an email with the results and I got 16th overall out of 250+ riders!

Last edited:
Top Bottom