Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Chapeau, Sir! I remember the health struggles you were having not so very long ago. So impressive that you are now churning out the miles like that. :notworthy:
Cheers @donger:okay: July 2015 was the last major issue for me, and the time I got my diagnosis after 2 years of hell. Since then I've been on the up and up, this place, in particular this thread, kept me going 2013 - 2015. Now the challenges keep me focussed, and I blame @13 rider for getting me into all 3 this year....

13 rider

Guru
Cheers @donger:okay: July 2015 was the last major issue for me, and the time I got my diagnosis after 2 years of hell. Since then I've been on the up and up, this place, in particular this thread, kept me going 2013 - 2015. Now the challenges keep me focussed, and I blame @13 rider for getting me into all 3 this year....
What me :shy:

TigerT

Veteran
Two very different rides this weekend.

1) On Friday, I just needed to get out on the bike after work so did went home, jumped on my old Roubaix, which since the new Trek arrived has been feeling a bit unloved, and headed out on a nice 25km circuit through some local villages.

2) Sunday, I woke up to bright sunshine and it was already warm. I didn't get out until 10am and started off just planning to do my normal Coffee and cake ride to Baden. Back on the new bike, I took the road route which today was largely deserted. On arriving at Baden, I decided I was up for a longer ride, so headed straight through and followed Route 34/77 down to Bremgarten. Bremgarten is a beautiful little town which I've managed to miss for 8 of the 9 years I've lived here. Very old and very typically Swiss in style. In the past I've ridden straight through, but today I decided to stop and enjoy it. Found a great little cafe that did Iced Coffee with Ice Cream - Best thing ever! My Garmin was reading 38 degrees in the sun and it was most welcome. It was time for a decision - both routes back to Baden are uphill, but one is a lot more challenging than the other. I decided to try the hard way - This climbs 250m out of Bremgarten to Bellikon zig zagging up the hill with a 9% incline in places. This would have been impossible last year. It was worth it! At the top the views were wonderful and I knew from doing part of the route in the opposite direction that I had 10km of downhill into Baden.

I stopped in Baden for another iced coffee and refuelled on chicken salad before finishing the ride heading back to Zürich on the usual route. Not my longest or fastest ride so far, but definitely the one I'm most proud of. I've always avoided hills in the past, but I'm starting to have the confidence to tackle them.

87kms including my hardest climb yet in temperatures averaging 32 degrees. Back in time to see Geraint ride back to Paris.

W7jXmjk0TY2oyUmTKYurIw.jpg
Arriving at Bremgarten
I6T9ANN1R9WML0RVm6phMg.jpg
Iced Coffee with Ice Cream - Best thing ever when its 38 degrees in the sun!
X%LPkM2EQFWcZtOi1CIvfw.jpg
Out into the country
5ibOj+yFSeOwejXGDdJlDw.jpg
enjoying the views
bC56rlZcQd2khx2nEokEqA.jpg
Made it to the top - Time for a rest
fullsizeoutput_18c1.jpeg
And the map

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a quick outing on my mountain bike. The wind was blowing hard across the fields of wheat.
After crossing the road in Caldecote I took the bridle way to Bourn. Around a bend and the long view showed a wet curtain of water. Being a bit tired from last nights exploits it was easy to about turn and get home before I got a soaking, I had no coat.

Only 6 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1735839129

8ED06620-9206-4432-8C3D-57CEB648B571.jpeg
1681FF79-B821-414F-A8C1-4B5F8D5DAC5F.jpeg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies for being a day late with this. I'm blaming the weather...^_^

I'd got a busy day lined up yesterday, so up early with the intention of getting in a metric half (at least) before attending to other stuff.
Except when I popped my head of out the door it was monsoon season. :rain:
I'd prepped the Giant (with mudguards) anticipating it might be a bit moist in places, but by 'eck!
So, did some other stuff for a couple of hours and hit the roads as the sun came out at 10am, knowing that I had to be back home by 1pm come hell or high water.
The roads were definitely wet, but there was a lot of blue sky to be seen - and what clouds were about were being whizzed along by a fair old wind.
Up onto Coal Road and then Skeltons Lane, before the long descent of Sandhills into Thorner, wind assisted and setting my second fastest time ever down the hill despite being on the 'winter' bike.
Through the village and up Milner Lane onto the ridge, getting buffeted at every gate and gap in the hedges by a persistent crosswind. Straight(ish) on to East Rigton, then Compton Lane along as far as Jewitt Lane, where I turned due south into the teeth of the maelstrom.
Once over the initial rise, this is nearly all a gentle downhill run back to Thorner Lane but I was having to put a bit of effort in to keep the speed in double figures.
Anyway, once onto Thorner Lane and along through the lesser of the Wothersome Dips and then the run alongside Bramham Park where they've already put the first traffic management signs up for the Leeds Festival at the end of August.
Left onto West Woods Road just before the A1(M) bridge and a mainly wind assisted push along to the roundabout at Wattlesyke and down the hill into Wetherby. Wind assisted again which helped me top 40mph for the first time on the Giant :hyper:
Into Wetherby and a loop of the town centre, before heading up Hallfield Lane for a couple of pics at the Church on the Corner (St James), which I've tried to do a couple of times before but always been thwarted:
IMG_20180728_110103746.jpg
IMG_20180728_110229400_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and back into downtown Wetherby, before looping back out on Walton Road, over the A1(M) bridge and into the countryside heading towards the racecourse.
Have I mentioned it was a bit windy? It couldn't make it's mind up along here, varying between a tricky crosswind and a stubborn headwind, and I started to think of what would be the more sheltered options for completing the ride...:scratch:
When I got to the first turning for Thorp Arch, I joined the cycle path I found the other week that continues parallel to Walton Road, but which is sheltered behind a tall hedge from the road and the wind. :okay:
This was very nice - smooth tarmac, no-one else about and now out of the wind it was starting to get quite warm.
But before long I'd reached Walton and after completing a loop of the village I headed south past the prison and into Thorp Arch, then across the river into Boston Spa, before tackling the usual route to Clifford.
By now anything heading east, west of south seemed to be into a headwind, which was interesting :dry:, but at least I got some respite from working too hard on the descent into Bramham.
Up the hill and back over the A1(M) and I then retraced by earlier route all the way back to Thorner. Heading north up Jewitt Lane was much nicer, heading south down Milner Lane not so much. :rolleyes:
Into Thorner and out onto Carr Lane, sheltered from the wind for the first part of the climb, but I was nearly unseated twice on the middle section as I passed field gates :eek:
A final grind up the hill to the A58, a slower than usual scoot along there and up onto Coal Road and again, straight into the wind, before dropping onto local roads to home and stopping the Garmin a hundred yards early to get:

33.33 miles (53.63km) in 2h 28m at an average of 13.5mph with 1,840ft climbed and an average temperature of 20.3°C

Pleased enough with that - it's another point for the half century challenge and despite the horrendous weather earlier and later in the day it stayed dry and sunny throughout for the ride, but that swirling, constantly changing wind was a challenge.
Being out later also meant that the roads were a busier than usual, but there were still plenty of cyclists about and a surprisingly high number of joggers, particularly on the country lanes.

I also record my rides on MapMyRide, (just In case there is a problem with the Garmin) and when I checked it had recorded a ride of 41.5 miles, which then vanished when I tried to save it and I can't find it anywhere now....how very odd. Something similar happened last year, so who knows what's going on...:rolleyes:

Anyway, to end, the map:
28072018.JPG

Last edited:
Copied from 50km a month chat zone....

Today’s ride I shall entitle “We Need Our Heads Looking At” for reasons which shall become clear......

So today was the day for the self proclaimed “Saga CC” ride out to Mansfield/Sheffield-By-The-Sea otherwise known as Skegness or more commonly Skeg Vegas!

I was up at 0515 this morning ready for a 6 o clock start to meet the others just outside Derby for 7. I spent a good ten minutes looking out the window watching the rain come down and observing the wind before I made a judgment call to crack on with the ride. I very nearly chickened out but somehow I really wanted this and it was this desire that ultimately swung it for me.

I had a 13 mile ride upto Swarkestone to meet the other lads and decided that with the conditions it would be best to hit the Cloud Trail as it was flat and sheltered from the wind. Managed to get to this point in 45 mins and that was probably the quickest I’d been all ride!

Five became four as one more dropped out and we set off at dead on 7 into some awful wind and rainy conditions which remained throughout. For a good while we were relatively sheltered from the worst of the wind and it was just the rain and standing water we had to contend with. Only once we’d passed through Nottingham did it begin to open up and we felt the full force of the wind. We passed the water sports centre at Holme Pierrepont where we encountered a few triathletes on their cycling phase. As we climbed out of Radcliffe on Trent we began to overtake some of the weaker riders and hang in behind the quicker ones to act as a wind break!

We stuck with these for quite a few miles (which I’m sure we were all grateful for) and as we hit one village around Bingham there were crowds gathering and cheering on all the riders- including us! I couldn’t acknowledge- I felt such a fraud! :shy:

By this stage the lads’ superior power and ability had left me several hundred yards behind and this was quite frequent throughout but they did keep waiting at various points for me to catch up. An energy gel later and we were on our way towards Grantham. And this is where it almost began to unravel for me- about 2 miles from the services the gel I had consumed came back up and the stomach cramps were extremely painful. As I approached the Costa at Grantham services there were two roundabouts to negotiate as I crossed over the A1 and it was at the first one where a big gust of wind knocked me clean off- luckily into a grass verge but still clipped in! I was 55 miles in, cold, wet, in horrible pain with my gut and when I finally stopped at the services I said to the others I was catching the train back from Grantham. However after a black coffee I changed my mind and decided to press on with the ride although the cramps still remained. We had 15-20 mins and set off having planned our next stop.

Immediately on leaving the services there was a good near-mile-long climb towards Grantham itself which was done with relative ease and we turned off to head towards the A607 and Sleaford. It was at the following junction when one of the lads got a puncture, so a nice ten minute stop to fix that was welcome! After heading north towards Sleaford the wind was behind us but the following 20 miles or so after leaving Sleaford were some of the most difficult I had ever faced on a bike- by now we were well into the Lincolnshire countryside which is flat and open and we were also now heading east and very exposed. The wind was south-easterly and as the ride was technically eastbound it made for some brutal riding. The turbulence from oncoming lorries was almost enough to knock me off on several occasions and I had no choice but to slow down until I got to the villages of Tattershall and Coningsby where we made stop number 2 at a pub.

After a pint of coke and 15 mins break we had about 29 or so miles left to go and the other lads really began to put the hammer down. I made no attempt to catch them up and just did my thing and rode at my own pace for the remainder. This was all pre-agreed with them at Coningsby and as much as it would have been beneficial to try and stick with them the truth is I just couldn’t! Only one more climb of note which was out of Old Bolingbroke towards Spilsby and although I was a little fatigued I managed to get up it fairly comfortably.

Crossing the A16 at Spilsby was a bit hairy with the traffic and the crosswinds but eventually I got across, although I was glad of the rest! A few more winding lanes and I finally hit Gunby island and the A158 for the last few miles into Skeggy. Just when I thought the stretch between Grantham and Coningsby was as bad as it got, this was 10 times worse! All open and exposed, the wind and rain picked up as well and it was just awful riding as I also had to contend with passing vehicles and being mindful I wasn’t sucked outwards from turbulence.

Finally I reached the Skegness sign and took a photo or two of my achievement and finished off the route with a steady slog to the clock tower where I clocked off. The others were 15-20 mins ahead of me by now but we all met back up and went straight to the chip shop before catching the train back.

112.4 miles in truly awful conditions, I probably experienced the disadvantage of flat routes today as there were no descents and thus no respite and you have to keep working come what may. 7 hours dead for me, averaged 16 dead which was, for me in that weather anyway, quite good going.

93bb570f-8f78-435f-bc86-a72622dff72c-jpeg.jpg

**a detailed analysis of the wind we encountered today, mostly head and side winds**

https://www.strava.com/activities/1736236541

https://www.relive.cc/view/1736236541

Reaching Skeggy
2c05e1d5-501c-4b2c-8dd2-061258fdbc5f-jpeg.jpg

At the Clock Tower
24f2a1df-3365-40f7-838a-be8944ca2348-jpeg.jpg

Tim’s Puncture Tube Stop!
3F916202-CA91-4B96-B014-441E0B87473D.jpeg

At the Pier Entrance
DA3E0436-02A9-45B2-9440-8B0114BE0E04.jpeg

Has to be done.....
14970ABC-F4C7-4C2A-8BA6-327A61E8EF6D.jpeg

Last edited:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Copied from 50km a month chat zone....

Today’s ride I shall entitle “We Need Our Heads Looking At” for reasons which shall become clear......

So today was the day for the self proclaimed “Saga CC” ride out to Mansfield/Sheffield-By-The-Sea otherwise known as Skegness or more commonly Skeg Vegas!

I was up at 0515 this morning ready for a 6 o clock start to meet the others just outside Derby for 7. I spent a good ten minutes looking out the window watching the rain come down and observing the wind before I made a judgment call to crack on with the ride. I very nearly chickened out but somehow I really wanted this and it was this desire that ultimately swung it for me.

I had a 13 mile ride upto Swarkestone to meet the other lads and decided that with the conditions it would be best to hit the Cloud Trail as it was flat and sheltered from the wind. Managed to get to this point in 45 mins and that was probably the quickest I’d been all ride!

Five became four as one more dropped out and we set off at dead on 7 into some awful wind and rainy conditions which remained throughout. For a good while we were relatively sheltered from the worst of the wind and it was just the rain and standing water we had to contend with. Only once we’d passed through Nottingham did it begin to open up and we felt the full force of the wind. We passed the water sports centre at Holme Pierrepont where we encountered a few triathletes on their cycling phase. As we climbed out of Radcliffe on Trent we began to overtake some of the weaker riders and hang in behind the quicker ones to act as a wind break! We stuck with these for quite a few miles (which I’m sure we were all grateful for) and as we hit one village around Bingham there were crowds gathering and cheering on all the riders- including us! I couldn’t acknowledge- I felt such a fraud! By this stage the lads superior power and ability had left me several hundred yards behind and this was quite frequent throughout but they did keep waiting at various points for me to catch up. An energy gel later and we were on our way towards Grantham. And this is where it almost began to unravel for me- about 2 miles from the services the gel I had consumed came back up and the stomach cramps were extremely painful. As I approached the Costa at Grantham services there were two roundabouts to negotiate as I crossed over the A1 and it was at the first one where a big gust of wind knocked me clean off- luckily into a grass verge but still clipped in! I was 55 miles in, cold, wet, in horrible pain with my gut and when I finally stopped at the services I said to the others I was catching the train back from Grantham. However after a black coffee I changed my mind and decided to press on with the ride although the cramps still remained. We had 15-20 mins and set off having planned our next stop. Immediately on leaving the services there was a good near-mile-long climb towards Grantham itself which was done with relative ease and we turned off to head towards the A607 and Sleaford. It was at the following junction when one of the lads got a puncture, so a nice ten minute stop to fix that was welcome! After heading north towards Sleaford the wind was behind us but the following 20 miles or so after leaving Sleaford were some of the most difficult I had ever faced on the bike- by now we were well into the Lincolnshire countryside which is flat and open and we were heading east and very exposed. The wind was south-easterly and as the ride was technically eastbound it made for some brutal riding. The turbulence from oncoming lorries was almost enough to knock me off on several occasions and I had no choice but to slow down until I got to the villages of Tattershall and Coningsby where we made stop number 2 at a pub.

After a pint of coke and 15 mins break we had about 29 or so miles left to go and the other lads really began to put the hammer down. I made no attempt to catch them up and just did my thing and rode at my own pace for the remainder. This was all pre-agreed with them and as much as it would have been beneficial to try and stick with them the truth is I just couldn’t! Only one more climb of note which was out of Old Bolingbroke towards Spilsby and although I was a little fatigued I managed to get up it fairly comfortably. Crossing the A16 at Spilsby was a bit hairy with the traffic and the crosswinds but eventually I got across, although I was glad of the rest! A few more winding lanes and I finally hit Gunby island and the A158 for the last few miles into Skeggy. Just when I thought the stretch between Grantham and Coningsby was bad, this was 10 times worse! All open and exposed, the wind and rain picked up as well and it was just awful riding as I also had to contend with passing vehicles and being mindful I wasn’t sucked outwards from turbulence. Finally I reached the Skegness sign and took a photo or two of my achievement and finished off the route with a steady slog to the clock tower where I clocked off. The others were 15-20 mins ahead of me by now but we all met back up and went straight to the chip shop before catching the train back.

112.4 miles in truly awful conditions, probably the disadvantage of flat routes as there were no descents and thus no respite and you have to keep working come what may. 7 hours dead for me, averaged 16 dead.

View attachment 421653
**a detailed analysis of the wind we encountered today, mostly head and side winds**

https://www.strava.com/activities/1736236541

https://www.relive.cc/view/1736236541
View attachment 421654
View attachment 421655

Epic ride and great report buddy, well done for seeing it through :notworthy: :highfive::hugs:

Sods law that you had the poorest conditions in that last 3 months for this ride:headshake:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saturdays ride, 4 of us set of in the moerning, picked up a couple of mates 6 miles in, they rode with us for about 20 miles. the four of us carried on to Safrom Walden, we stopped briefly for a can of coke and a cake, did not want to hang around for to long as the forcast for the afternoon was not looking to good. As we rode back the weather was not to bad apart from the headwind, so we decided to have a pub stop in Muchhadem. Lovely little pub, had a couple of beers and a nice sandwich, Had a little chat with a couple of newly weds, and a few other cyclist's who were also thirsty. also the puncture fairey apeared that was quickly sorted, finished the ride without any more problems.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1733548009

cake.PNG

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Had my first night ride in over a year tonight!
Earlier in the day I'd swapped out the pos bottom bracket for a shiny new UN55 and had her on the turbo to adjust the gears. Everything running sweet I told myself I'd get out later this evening.
Erin back in from playing with her friends I bumped the bike down the steps just before 9pm looking forward to a nice dry ride. That's when the first rain drops started falling. Typical. It had been dry for the previous couple hours.
About a third of the way up Chorley Old Road and the pitter patter started getting heavier so I pulled over to put the rain jacket and waterproof hat on. At Bob's Smithy Inn I turned right onto Walker Fold Road and followed that to Scout Road and eventually Belmont Road. So far I'd avoided dropping into the granny ring but that was about to change as I came into Belmont.
Just after turning into Rivington Road and knowing what that first climb was like I reached to the downtube lever and pushed it all the way forward. It's nice having those wussy gears at times like this. When they work. Which it didn't now. The familiar sound of chain grinding on front mech as it refused to fall from the middle ring and I soon ground to a halt. Ack! You total GIT! I sort of expected things to not go smoothly as it was a new bottom bracket and unlikely to match the other one perfectly but, still bloody annoying. The cable was slack and so I had to loosen the mech clamp and nudge it ever so slightly around the seat tube. Sods Law dictated that it move a heck of a lot more than I wanted and just by chance when I'd tightened the bolt the thing worked. Yay!
Up the climb at snail pace and past The Blue Lagoon, which to be honest, isn't very blue at all. Looking more like a swamp these days.
It was now getting dark and a fine mist of wetness and reduced visibility covered the road. Every car that came towards me was lighting up the drizzle on my glasses and I couldn't see a damn thing till they'd passed me.
Once past the Lancashire boundary the road levels out I started picking up some speed and the lights started getting some decent juice from the XT 1.5v hub which has been utter sh**e for charging anything since I got it. The lights weren't any dimmer compared to my old 3n72 hub which is something I worried about for a while. They were certainly being tested on this dark, wet, bendy road.
The roller coaster was taken slowly as was the following decent to Sheephouse Lane and that was also done with more caution than usual.
I was glad to get into Rivington village and slightly faster than pootled along to the main road. Lever Park Avenue needs serious resurfacing as the Spa and I were near rattled to death on it.
I didn't fancy the long climb up Chorley Old Road and so opted for Chorley New Road instead as it's pretty flat till turning onto Victoria Road. More up onto Old Kiln Lane then a right onto Boot Lane, up a bit then home through the estate.
Only one ***hole on this ride and he/she passed me in an Audi or Merc tank easily doing a ton. A cop car blasted past me a couple minutes later. Coincidence? Maybe.
Home for just before 11pm having done 16 miles averaging 9.1mph. Not bad for me given the hills and weather. :smile:

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/26084628

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
There were showers about but I headed out anyway. But what's this? That rear tyre feels soft. So an enforced stop to deal with the puncture. The southerly wind was dealt with by diving into the shelter of the Castlemorton Lanes. The shelter continued through Redmarley and Brand Green. A bit more exposure didn't seem too bad to Highleadon and then I began to get some benefit from the wind, or at least less hindrance. The roads were alternately wet and dry proving the forecast to be correct but I only experienced a few drops of the wet stuff. Woolridge gave me some good views out over the valley and by the time I dropped to the Hams at Ashleworth I was getting the benefit of a tail wind. My pace went up nicely. At The Rampings an acquaintance I chat to sometimes came the other way. So I stopped for a chat as I hadn't been able to the last couple of times. That added some pleasant extra time to my outing. Underway again my pace was still good as I looped by Brotheridge Green on the run in. Nice start to the week. 48 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Needed to pop into Felixstowe to use the ticket machine at the rail station to print out some tickets I'd ordered for a trip to Nottingham in September so I took the longer route there - 35 miles for the round trip.

Have a picture from the cliff top overlooking the North Sea to bulk out a very short ride report ^_^
Felixstowe cliff top.jpg

Screenshot_2018-07-30 Garmin Connect.png

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
A pleasant surprise this evening was Erin asking to go out on her bike. Its been so long since it last moved that both tyres were flat and the whole bike had a layer of dust on it.
Tyres pumped up, brakes tweaked and lights fitted we set off at almost 10pm for an adventure around the estate.
Leaving the house we turned onto Hollin Hey Road where Erin pronounced "See dad, I haven't forgotten anything you taught me since our last ride!"
"Yeah? So how come you're riding on the wrong side of the road?" :tongue:
"I was just testing you!"
:laugh:
We pootled along Lightbounds Road and turned right to follow the recently resurfaced lane down to Moss Bank Park side by side and chatting away.
We turned left onto the footpath where she conquered riding the bike and ringing her bell at the same time! She was pleased at that. :giggle:
Into the small car park where she crashed into a boulder :whistle: and back up the lane again. Erin informed me she would ride all the way to the top without stopping.
20 feet later she stopped and said she was shattered. I got scolded for giggling. We walked the rest of the way.
Back on Lightbounds Road we dilly dallied our way home trying to scare each other by swerving our bikes side to side and her brake checking me. :laugh:

I couldn't care less about our mileage or avg speed...it was good fun :smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Since I've already hit my August mileage target I figured it was time for some fun. After completing the duties of dump run and airbed collection, I unhooked the trike from the wall and set off with no particular place in mind. I only had a hour free, so kept the pace up to an impressive (for me) 13.8mph average on a relatively flat ride through Egham, Staines, Chertsey and back. Just over 14 miles, and makes over 300 miles done on the trike. I'm amazed to find I bought it in May last year, so really do need to get out more with it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride for nearly a week on a variation of a regular route out to Westbury and Melverley.

I took the Galaxy this time and headed for Condover to start with to add a little mileage before swinging round to the west through Exfords Green and on the way to Pontesbury and Minsterley. Traffic was fairly mixed today: quiet in some spots, busy in others, but all fairly well behaved.

It's quite breezy today compared to what I've got used to lately which slowed progress a bit so after Halfway House I thought I might as well take my time and enjoy the scenery by going the hillier way to Crew Green via Wollaston. This was nice as expected and the descent the other side quite fun, although slightly spoiled by needing to pull in to allow a vehicle past.

At the bottom of the hill I took a right heading for Melverley and the "your speed is..." sign briefly flashed up that I was doing 35 through the 30 limit.:unsure: Flattering, but I wasn't that fast even on the hill. My speedo showed a more realistic 16.

I had the wind helping for a bit which gave some nice easy cruising through Melverley and past the Royal Hill. I varied the route again after Pentre to follow NCN Route 81 through Shrawardine (pausing to look at what's left of the castle) and Montford before getting back on track at Montford Bridge.

I took to the cycle path at Shelton but that didn't last long. After meeting a teenager cycling towards me while looking at his feet rather than where he was going, then a family group plus dogs spread across the whole width of the path I thought I'd be better off back on the road which was less busy than I'd expected. This turned out to be fortunate as the cyclepath was being dug up in two places a little further along so was blocked anyway.

37.4 miles at 14.9 mph average today.

DSC0006790.jpg
Harvesting is under way and I saw some ripe blackberries while out as well. I don't want it to feel like we're headed for autumn before we've even started August.

DSC0006791.jpg

At Wollaston.

DSC0006792.jpg

Just past the top of today's climb and looking to the hills of Wales before I descend to Crew Green.

DSC0006795.jpg

At Shrawardine this is all that's left of the castle. It was destroyed after being captured by the Parliamentarians during the Civil War and apparently most of the stone reused for repairing the damage in Shrewsbury.

Last edited:
Top Bottom