Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tizme

Veteran
Only my fourth ride since my hip replacement and longest to date:
My Ride.jpg

31.76 miles, 2,953ft elevation gain in 2 hours 36 minutes.
Some good climbs to push me a bit and beautiful countryside to take my mind off the effort!
DSCI0182.JPG

Might even try Kingsettle (Alfreds Tower) climb on Thursday (it has always been my fitness marker ride):
King Alfred Tower is situated in Somerset. Starting from Hardway, the King Alfred Tower ascent is 1.83 km long. Over this distance, you climb 143 height meters. The average percentage thus is 7.8 %. The maximum slope is 26 %.
A short blog (I hope the author will not mind): https://somersetcycleclimbs.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/kingsettle-hill/

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 had a route idea. So we headed out for the lanes via Hillend for Birtsmorton. She took the loop by Berrow for Camer's Green and then the standard run for Much Marcle. Mrs 26 was complaining about her foot again. It transpired it wasn't her foot but the inside of her lower leg. A quick look from behind suggested that she was pedalling a bit heel out. So we stopped at the Memorial Tree where a convenient bench allowed me to adjust her cleat. After a couple of attempts that seemed to work and I had no more complaints. Back underway we rode the eastern flanks of The Marcles to emerge at Trumpet and a lovely cafe stop.

We seemed to spend an age in the cafe but we did get underway eventually for Munsley and Mrs 26's choice to ride the Wellington Heath climb. I hadn't been over this one for some time so it did make a change. We stopped at the church to sit and enjoy and had chats with some of the locals who had turned up. The descent is pleasant enough and as we headed for Colwall a visit to our friends Alf and Leslie was proposed. So we diverted slightly and begged a cup of tea. After much chat it was time to head over the Wyche Cutting, a climb I haven't done for a while either. Well not from this side. After touching 40 mph on the descent it was time for more refreshment as we'd timed our return for tea time. Lovely wee outing with my other half and maybe we have got to the bottom of that leg discomfort at last. 43 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another thunderstom rolled through this morning so I didn't bother going out until early afternoon when I thought everywhere would have cleared up. Decided on heading out to Alton Water and then seeing where the mood took me after that.

After Monday's outing, I avoided the usual Levington route due to the amount of sand & stone debris washed off the fields and headed to Nacton where I'd completely forgotten about the blocked drain under the rail bridge (it was dry yesterday)
Nacton Flooding.jpg

Thankfully there's just enough room on the raised path to walk the bike through, but the other side is in full tree shelter so I still got a bit of wheel spray thanks to the wet road. From there it was into and out of Ipswich to Wherstead, under the Orwell Bridge and up Freston Hill to Holbroook and the road around Alton Water.

Normally I'd keep going on to Brantham and into the Dedham Vale area, but I decided to cut back across the reservoir at Tattingstone and head towards Belstead
Alton Water (2).jpg
After that it was nothbound through Washbrook, Sproughton & Bramford to Claydon and the normal route skirting the north and east of Ipswich to home via Westerfield & Bucklesham for a very enjoyable 50 miler.
Tuesday.png

TigerT

Veteran
It's a bank holiday today in Switzerland, so I decided I'd try a new ride.

I woke up late (for me) so was out on my bike by 9am and it was already really hot. I should really have just done a shorter ride, but as I'd spent a load of time looking at maps last night, I decided to stick with Plan A. There is always the option of getting the train home if I'm too tired.

So the first part of the plan was to ride out to the German border at Kaiserstuhl along Route 32. This was straight forward and very well signposted. Somewhat steeper hills than the map indicates, but as nice ride out through the countryside for about 30kms. Kaiserstuhl seemed very small but quite pretty. Lots of other cyclists around but all the cafe looked pretty full so I didn't bother stopping. From here I jumped onto Route 2 and headed west along the Rhine and I had 2 options - Either stop at Bad Zurzach and head down Route 77 or continue along to Koblenz (The Swiss one not the German one) and down Route 8. I was enjoying the views and coping with the hills ok, so I decided on Route 8.

So reaching Koblenz it was starting to get very warm so although my bike isn't best suited to riding on gravel paths it was a relief to head into the cover of the woods along the baks of the River Aare. This was pretty nice for a couple of kilometres but then it was out into the open and into the hills - none of them long, but short and steep. By this time Switzerland had turned into an oven. The lowest temperature I'd see for the rest of the day is 37 degrees. Too hot! But too late to give up now.

For the next stretch Route 8 merges with Route 77 and I was back in familiar territory, it's all fairly level until you have to cross then River Ruess. Then it heads steeply downhill to the River and then back up 100 metres on the other side - There is actually a sign warning cyclists of that fact, though what you are supposed to do about it, I'm not sure. There is no rest after that, as to get to Baden there is yet another hill. There was quite a wind picking up by now blowing some storms in so if I'm honest this was not my favourite part of the ride. I finally got to Baden and headed straight to Starbucks for a Large Mocha Cheesecake Frappucino. It was cold sugary and wonderful. I also had cake! I figured I deserved it :-)

All that remained was the trip back to Zürich. I was slow and tired and glad to get home by this point. But apart from the last bits when it really was too hot and windy it was a good ride seeing lots of new places. 103km's in total. According to the Garmin, the max temperature was 40.1 degrees.

Heavy rain and thunderstorms now, so at last it's cooling down a bit.

Here are a few pictures :
fullsizeoutput_18cc.jpeg
First stop Kaiserstuhl after heading along Route 32
zQhtsROdTDaVaJNMi+zS6A.jpg
Heading along the Rhine
FLtaqiVTT5KQXfrlQH9PGg.jpg
Somewhere on Route 8
kzmtkHjwQpaV0qxMr+VvNw.jpg
On the banks of the Aare
4plInbjVSduLMKPQG1lRpg.jpg
At the top of one of the hills looking down on the Aare
fullsizeoutput_18d1.jpeg
And the map.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Jules H in Upton. We chatted for too long really. As my old pal John B would have said "Time is miles". Underway we took the standard run down to Rye Street and on around by Bromsberrow and Tillers Green. The dodge by St Mary's took us to Gwynne's Hill for a change. Yatton lead us to How Caple and the run for Hoarwithy. Across the Wye we followed the river to Pict's Cross where we diverted for Glewstone. The lanes around here are a little unfamiliar so the map came out. Nevertheless we dropped onto the A40 corridor as planned at Whitchurch. It was a fairly easy run to Goodrich and its castle where the cafe was doing a roaring trade.

Refreshed and bottles filled we took the lane around Hom Green into Ross. From here the standard run up the three climbs for Kempley lead us to Dymock and Ryton for Bromsberrow (again) and the run home through the Castlemorton lanes. Jules had done his longest ride this season and we'd both had a lovely day out together. 80 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m going to use a line in a second that I’ve never typed before....

A tandem ride tonight. Out through Bourn and over the A1198 and toward the maggot farm, it was humming tonight! We then turned off for Gamlingay. The annoying headwind slowing us to 33mph down the hill.

In Little Gransden Mrs Dave treated me to a refreshing pint of Golden Showers. The Chequers brews its own beer and that’s the name of one of them

http://www.sonofsid.co.uk/beers.php

D59D5B64-DCDA-45D1-9D30-DF7CB2D9EB9C.jpeg

We then set off up Primrose Hill. I’ve ridden down it a couple of times, but never up it. The trouble with riding down it is as you go round the right hand bend your eye is taken away from this beauty
BC2A45E3-5210-434B-87C1-39F353C0FECE.jpeg

72DD07C8-7140-4F9C-B0B4-8410E0D6E5F8.jpeg

Great Gransden post mill. I’m glad we came up the hill!

Crossing the A428 bridge we had to stop for Mrs Dave to take a phone call, it gave me chance to take a pic of the setting sun
1713F9D5-3581-43FE-99DD-6ECFC905FC2B.jpeg

26 miles in nice, warm evening light.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1743328386

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I’m going to use a line in a second that I’ve never typed before....

A tandem ride tonight. Out through Bourn and over the A1198 and toward the maggot farm, it was humming tonight! We then turned off for Gamlingay. The annoying headwind slowing us to 33mph down the hill.

In Little Gransden Mrs Dave treated me to a refreshing pint of Golden Showers. The Chequers brews its own beer and that’s the name of one of them

http://www.sonofsid.co.uk/beers.php

View attachment 422104

We then set off up Primrose Hill. I’ve ridden down it a couple of times, but never up it. The trouble with riding down it is as you go round the right hand bend your eye is taken away from this beauty
View attachment 422105
View attachment 422106
Great Gransden post mill. I’m glad we came up the hill!

Crossing the A428 bridge we had to stop for Mrs Dave to take a phone call, it gave me chance to take a pic of the setting sun
View attachment 422107

26 miles in nice, warm evening light.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1743328386

What an odd name for a beer. Not the best perhaps. ^_^

Dark46

Veteran
Well what lovely ride. My 300th ride since I bought the Boardman hybrid to go to work on in 2014.

I couldn't have had better company than with @Donger and Claire a very good friend of mine. Who I first met riding with KCC about 2 1/2 years ago.

Just a great day as it was the same route that me and @Donger did last week. Just down to Arlingham and back , couldn't believe Claire as I she hadn't been the before.

On the way back we went via Framilode and looked over the River Severn, where I wished people would say smile while taking a photo and it would have given me chance to breathe in too.

A great way to start August and hope there will be many more rides like it in the future.
20180801_191922.jpg
IMG_20180801_213440_498.jpg
IMG_20180801_213440_500.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm rather enjoying this week off work. Yet another warm & sunny day and so out with the Planet X and, after a quick map check, I decided on Framlingham as the destination with a rough route planned in my mind. However, where I went after that and the return route was to be made up based on how I was feeling.

Out northbound(ish) via Kirton, Martlesham and Little Bealings and various other small villages on the back roads to the outskirts of Wickham Market and then up to Easton and Kettleburgh and into and through Framlingham. As the town was busy with tourists I didn't stop and kept going north to the A1120 which I got off a.s.a.p at Dennington and back soutwards ending up on the other side of Framlingham.

Out of town, a series of back roads and lanes brought me out at Earl Soham where I took the road to Brandeston and then Friday Street to Monewden and the run down to Clopton, leading on to Tuddenham St. Martin & Westerfield for the regular run home through Rushmere & Bucklesham.

No plan for tomorrow or Friday yet - I'll see how I feel and how warm it is when I finally get going.

From Clopton:
Clopton Bales.jpg
Screenshot_2018-08-01 Mad Dogs Englishmen Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2018-08-01 Mad Dogs Englishmen Ride Strava(1).png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I went down the river to meet my wife for a pint in Putney. I'm not sure that Estrella is quite my cup of tea really. Returning back on the north side of the Thames, there is a stretch of path that sits between a smart estate and the river. I probably shouldn't have been riding there, judging by the signs, but I was. A couple and their black labrador came towards me. The dog was out in front by quite a bit, but he was limping, and he had a plastic bag covering the surgical dressing on his right front paw. I had stopped to let them all pass and put down a hand to pat the dog's head. I didn't think he was going to maul me. He looked up and licked my hand, so I fiddled with his ears and then ruffled the scruff of his neck. A canine friendship that lasted less than thirty seconds.

His owners walked by as I was pedalling away, and they both had huge smiles on their faces. "Thank you" said the man.

Top Bottom