Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Here's how my last ride concluded:
View attachment 421277
I was only 4 miles in when the dreaded twang/bang noise sounded to tell me all was not well. Pulled over and checked the back wheel and, sure enough a snapped spoke. I suppose it couldn't handle the power being pumped out by the guns!
Even with the brake lever in 'remove wheel' position, the rim was hitting the blocks. This bike has no wiggle room at all. I certainly couldn't fit anything larger than a 25 tyre under the calipers.
Had to take the cassette off again and fit my last spare spoke. Just ordered ten more for future emergencies!

Oops. That does not look good at all.

Here's how my last ride concluded:
View attachment 421277
I was only 4 miles in when the dreaded twang/bang noise sounded to tell me all was not well. Pulled over and checked the back wheel and, sure enough a snapped spoke. I suppose it couldn't handle the power being pumped out by the guns!
Even with the brake lever in 'remove wheel' position, the rim was hitting the blocks. This bike has no wiggle room at all. I certainly couldn't fit anything larger than a 25 tyre under the calipers. A slow ride home was all I could do.
Had to take the cassette off again and fit my last spare spoke. Just ordered ten more for future emergencies!

Oh botheration...

colly

Re member eR
A thundery rainy start to the day but the skies cleared and I went out at around 1pm for a spin.
I had a vague idea of where I was making for but somehow lost my way. It didn't really matter but I found I was going over ground already covered earlier in the week.
I sort of ambled about a bit and as the temperature and humidity crept upwards I found myself climbing, and climbing...............oh and climbing. I got rained on gently for a spell but it didn't last.
The ride seemed slow and hard work but even so I did enjoy it.

It turned out to be 27 miles and 2300ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25983815

I'm tired tonight and my legs know I've been out. :tired:

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Just a short ride this evening due to the heat and the threat of thunderstorms. It's a long time since I've seen the Tweed as low as this.
IMG_20180727_181005.jpg

And looking back the way from the bridge in the background...
IMG_20180727_181405.jpg

... the foundations of the piers of the long demolished Selkirk branch line viaduct can be seen.
18 miles @ 14.7 mph.

iandg

Legendary Member
A quiet month so far as I've been busy at home getting the place ready to sell. Nipped out yesterday evening for a quick gravel spin up to the Pentland Road Wind Farm and return via Lewes Castle Grounds. My Cross-Check is in bits at the moment so my old Henry Burton is set up as a fixed gravel bike with a 42x21 gearing and a 35c Continental CycloXking rear and 32c Vittoria Cross XN front tyres.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1731628069

42774029795_bc5a20f136.jpg

42774029685_34c93ef257.jpg

43676818161_29bbb88a81.jpg

43676817611_bd149401d4.jpg

Last edited:
Got caught out in the heaviest rain shower I have seen in a long time. Luckily we were coming into a town and we sheltered in a petrol station for 20 minutes.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Sara P, John G met at Newland. We each had different requirements today so the ride was punctuated by folks peeling off as they headed homeward for various appointments. First Jules, then John at Longley Green and Sara at Bishops Frome. So I decided to add some extra miles to the advertised route. So on to Burley Gate took me to Withington for a southerly tack to Larport and the crossing of the Wye at Mordiford. The southerly run continued to Hoarwithy where I recrossed the Wye to head for the Marcles. I dodged on a very little used lane over Rattle Hill but from forgetfulness took a right instead of left to loop round back to the standard climb over the Marcle Ridge. No worries as I can correct that error next time. From Much Marcle it was just the usual run around the southern end of the Hills and the Castlemorton lanes. The Steam Rally at Welland is well attended but everyone was already on the showground so I was able to pass unhindered by traffic. A nice ride out overall. Shame the others had to leave so early. 68 smiles

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
11DEDE1C-C9B0-495F-BA7D-67BBBDA0F460.jpeg

Blinkin’ ‘eck! Raglan Castle Audax: That was a tough one. Extraordinary wind. Almost blown off the bridge from Chepstow and biblical rain. Very little social time and eating was a bit of a utilitarian chore. Finished with 20 minutes in hand. I rode to the start in Bath which is where the extra mileage comes from and almost 3000m elevation. On the way back home, just outside Midford, I was almost flattened by a huge tree that came down. I must look up my heart rate on that section. Must have gone through the roof. Does anyone know where to report close pass trees?

I’m guilty of taking my previous efforts on these longer rides for granted.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride was to the Blue Ball pub in Grantchester on the Thorn tandem.
It only took us 15 minutes to get there, only on short stretch of road with a headwind.
It was our friends 60th birthday party, food and drink was had, then more drink, then more.... you get the picture.
I think it was initially only going to be an afternoon.... but the evening came and we were all hungry again! We all set off into Cambridge for a curry! We'd all had quite a few drinks by then but we were ok.
A curry and more drinks were had and then we set off on the 7 mile ride home.

As I wasn't expecting to be out so long I didn't bring any lights.... luckily the battery on the fixed back light was up to the job. For a front light in the pitch black was Jo holding my phone torch light over my shoulder, so there was a massive shadow of my head along the cycle path up Madingley Hill, plus lots of tree debris. I reckon I had about 8 pints, so it was a good effort to get home safely. How very irresponsible.

And, my head feels fine today!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Plans of a 60 mile square grabbing ride were somewhat watered down after seeing last nights weather forecast. I allowed myself an extra 45 minutes in bed and opted for a shorter ride instead. When I went out the front door it wasn't raining, 500 yards in I had to stop and put the wet weather jacket on, then off again at 5 miles when the rain stopped. Not for long, and with 9 miles done at Chobham it started raining proper, the shortly after absolutely poured down. Good call on the shorter route, by the time I got home on 32 miles I was soaked with shoes full of water. Much cooler today at 12 degrees C, a massive 20 degrees cooler then it was only a few days ago.
Todays miles made me hit my target for the month, my first 1000 mile + month, and I still have a couple of days left:smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Plans of a 60 mile square grabbing ride were somewhat watered down after seeing last nights weather forecast. I allowed myself an extra 45 minutes in bed and opted for a shorter ride instead. When I went out the front door it wasn't raining, 500 yards in I had to stop and put the wet weather jacket on, then off again at 5 miles when the rain stopped. Not for long, and with 9 miles done at Chobham it started raining proper, the shortly after absolutely poured down. Good call on the shorter route, by the time I got home on 32 miles I was soaked with shoes full of water. Much cooler today at 12 degrees C, a massive 20 degrees cooler then it was only a few days ago.
Todays miles made me hit my target for the month, my first 1000 mile + month, and I still have a couple of days left:smile:
Chapeau, Sir! I remember the health struggles you were having not so very long ago. So impressive that you are now churning out the miles like that. :notworthy:

13 rider

Guru
Is it odd to enjoy riding in the rain ? . Checked the forecast last night and rain all day less early doors . So out the door at 0730 into a drizzle and coolish temperatures quite lovely . Headed out to the Notts boarder for a cross boarder raid .Heading through Wysall noticed a cycle event of some sort being set up . Over the boarder into the bad lands of Ruddington and Gotham back into Leicestershire via East leake and Costock back into Wysall heading for the turning for Willoughby on the wolds could see marshalls at a junction and a small group of riders coming the other way . I turned before them but they soon caught me . They had numbers pinned on (velo 99 checking internet later ) looked like an inter club race . I did the decent thing and drafted them keeping out the way :okay:. As we hit a climb they surprisingly slowed so I dropped them :becool:.I think they what was coming as now I found myself on the front into a horrendous headwind :banghead: and they drafted the hell out of me . Had to keep going to save face but mercifully they starting coming by so a bit of chain ganging into the village . They turned left as I was going straight on despite the Marshall frantic waving . Turned on to Lawn lane a draggy road at the best of times and it's headwind time again .Made it to Nice pies cafe walked towards the counter dripping :rain:to be greeted by the word nutter from the owner good job I'm a regular and didn't take offence as I agreed with him. Coffee and beans on toast consumed and back out the rain had lessened but the wind had got up. So a tough 18 miles home . 68 miles In the bag and despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed the ride the recent heatwave had made riding hard work .

Last edited:
Top Bottom