Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Complete change for me today finally got round to a ride I've had in mind for 2 years since I first stopped at Dove cottage cafe on the side of Grantham canal where I chatted to a family who had riden along the towpath . So hybrid in the boot of the car and drove out to Harby parked up and rode to the canal . First part of towpath was just grass which was incredibly bumpy . Couple of bridges later path became compacted travel which was a lot smoother but still slow going . First 8 miles I never saw another person just me in peaceful countryside just bliss . Stopped and had a nosy around a lock they are rebuilding as it was empty very interesting .Pressed on to Grantham where with 100 ft you go from countryside bliss to the A607 very busy A road . Retraced my route back path now a bit busier with mainly dog walkers and into a headwind. Decided to get off towpath and do a road route back . So through Granby to Bingham where I rode up an old railway to attempt to grab an awkward veloviewer square ( didn't go far enough on upload :banghead: ) then back on the road to Langar then Harby . 39 miles at 11.6mph and a massive 500ft of upness . Strangely found this ride much harder than yesterdays imperial ton but really enjoyed the ride in some lovely countryside

Dark46

Veteran
I had indented to go out today. Luckily I had a plan because i didnt get in until about midnight last night and got to bed about 01:30. The plan was for Tina from the social group to text me to makes sure I was up! The plan worked as I was the first at the meeting point , definitely not a regular occurrence.

There was 9 of us in the socail group today so a good number. I didn't know where we were going as have been busy all week. It was great to see @Donger out returning from his holiday and Dave who hasn't been out since May I think.

I did find out he ride was going to Berkeley Castle via Cam which sounded good until I realised we were doing Cam Pitch , it's short but steep . Only done it twice before. Plus @Donger doesn't like it so that's enough to put anyone off.

It was a great ride with plenty of chatting as a social ride should be.

The ride for me was just under 43 miles and with a few PB's which is always good.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Early Equinox Excursion today. Much fun to be had in Somerset and Dorset wearing my flamingo jersey and super-socks. Clear cycling glasses are the way to go from now on. £3.99 from Decathlon. I also took a couple of bags of beef jerky to break the monotony of oats bars etc. Had a couple of Kendle Mint Cakes as I go quicker with a minty taste in my mouth. Honest. The chocolate one is lush as is the brown sugar one. The white one pale in comparison. Top tips. Only a pleasure. Thank me later.

View attachment 430203 View attachment 430204 View attachment 430205 View attachment 430206 View attachment 430207 View attachment 430208 View attachment 430209
What a stunning bike

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What a stunning bike

Asanti sana. Spa Cycle’s very own ‘Elan’. Ti light tourer or Audax bike. Shimano 105 with a triple. You can see from my local terrain why I like a triple. It is very comfortable and I do look after it. I enjoyed building it up to be ‘mine’. Titanium is a doddle to care for so I mainly look after the drive train. Easy, low maintenance stuff.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a tandem ride into town to see friends this afternoon. We called in at The Plough in Coton for a pint on the way back.

Anyone fancy a project?
D98E7034-8BEF-4534-B754-F06F550E0821.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1846157473

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having not got out for a couple of days I took a risk on the weather this afternoon and headed out towards Melverley on the knockabout bike.

All went fairly well at the start out to Montford Bridge where I took a left for a change and headed trough Montford and Shrawardine. There was quite a brisk wind blowing today but it didn't seem to slow progress any more than it was already slowed by the choice of bike.

I'd started out on dry roads but from Shrawardine it had obviously rained fairly well and not too long ago. There were some threatening clouds up ahead but were far enough away I wasn't too worried about them. I managed to swallow a small fly near to Pentre and don't know what it was but it made me want to retch. A stop for a drink helped sort that.

At Crew Green I decided to go for the climb up past Kempster's Hill, which starts off steep leaving the village, with a couple of hairpins, then eases as you climb. Nice scenery up here but I could see a curtain of rain sneaking round the Breidden so suspected the dry ride wasn't going to last. After another quick drink stop at the summit I carried on down the other side into the thickest carpet of hedge cuttings I've seen in a long while.:angry: I thought I was bound to pick up a puncture here but the Marathons seem by some marvel to have shrugged off the thorns.

While stopped to check over the tyres the rain started to come down properly so I donned my waterproofs and carried on to Halfway House and Westbury. I had the wind helping along the straight after Westbury but there was more traffic than usual so I decided to take the lane through Stoney Stretton and Edge. Again there had been recent hedge cutting and I had the same worry about picking up a puncture but seem to have got away with it.

The rain had eased to a few showers and by Exfords Green I was riding on dry roads again so probably looked a bit odd as I still had the waterproofs on. Those came off soon after and I had an easy run to home.

35.2 miles at 13.9 mph average which isn't too bad on this bike having taken the hilly version of the route.

DSC0007079.jpg

DSC0007081.jpg

A couple of shots at Montford.

DSC0007083.jpg

Shrawardine.

DSC0007084.jpg

Been a bit damp between Pentre and the Royal Hill.

DSC0007085.jpg

I did get wet, but it had eased by Edge. Looking in the direction of Pontesbury.

DSC0007088.jpg

Looking towards the Stretton Hills from Hunger Hill. Looks like there are more showers on the way,

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good weekends riding, Saturday 7 of us rode to Heybridge basin, went down the A414 to get there,A nice bit of lunch followed by a large slice of lemon merange, we took the scenic route on the way back, stopping about 20 miles from the end for a pub stop, the sun was out so why not, finished the ride at our local pub, 5 of us had a couple more beers, a good day out. I did have a little off riding through a ford,:laugh::laugh: A swollen little finger and a bit of blood from my elbow.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1843321925
Sunday we took my youngest grandaugher for her first forest bike ride, she did really well, she fell of once, a couple of grazies on her knee and elbow, back on the bike rode to the ice cream van, ice creams all round, then to the pub for a nice cold beer for me, soft drinks all round for all the others.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1846001668

C R

Guru
My wife wasn't feeling very well yesterday, so asked me to take daughter two to the Park Run. I haven't run for a very long time, and the five km made my legs quite stiff this morning.

The plan for today was to go up to Great Malvern from the Leigh Sinton side, but when I set off I wasn't sure how far I would actually manage. As it turns out, none of the muscles that were aching due to the run seem to be involved in cycling.

Out of the house at quarter to seven. Shorts and t-shirt, as it was a reasonable 13C, but cloudy and gloomy, so lights went on.

Down the awful cycle path on the Carrington bridge, down to the Powick roundabout, continuing on the cycle path along the ring road, and taking the left for Bransford. Great view of the Malverns coming out of the roundabout, but unfortunately no safe space to stop for a photo. Bransford came and went quickly, and then this view of the hills just before Leigh Sinton
IMG_20180916_072647.jpg

Cracking on reached the turn for Malvern, starting the ascent, which begins easy, but gets steeper as the road approaches Malvern Link, then a bit of respite, and then again all the way to the lights at the top. I made it in one go thanks to the small ring in the new triple, but my average speed in this section was just a pitiful eight miles per hour.

Stopped for a drink and a breather just before the lights, and then the last push to get to the highest point of today, somewhere on the A449 just before the pubs and restaurants. Then it was a left for the Abbey, and a stop for some seat height adjustment and a couple of photos. First the Abbey
IMG_20180916_075307.jpg

And Anne Darwin's grave in the yard
IMG_20180916_075338.jpg

She was Charles Darwin's oldest daughter, and died at the age of ten, of complications from scarlet fever. She had been sent to Malvern in the hope that the water would help her recovery.

From there is a quick descent into Barnards Green, and then a right to go to Upton the long way round, past the Three Counties showground, and Clive's Fruit Farm. Quick also through Upton, over the bridge and across the A38 towards Pershore. My legs were starting to feel a bit heavy by now, so turned towards Earls Croome to make for home via the lanes. Stopped by the church for a nut bar and a drink, and also a photo of the spire
IMG_20180916_083340.jpg

Once refreshed I was again on my way, up through Kinnersley, which now feels just like a pimple, quick down the other side, and a right for High Green and Croome. On the way to Croome I couldn't resist another picture of St Magdalene church
IMG_20180916_085245.jpg

I was feeling more energetic now, so decided to add a couple of miles to make sure that I would have the 50km. So it was a right at the top, past the entrance to Croome, and on to Rebecca Road. The dish at Defford was in full view:
IMG_20180916_085942.jpg

From here it was a quick dash past Wadborough and Littleworth, and down Norton for home.

The map
IMG_20180916_225416.jpg

It was quite a lot faster than I had expected, specially given how stiff I was feeling from the run. Next target now is continuing the route up to the Wyche Cutting.

Oh, forgot to mention, past the 1000 mile mark for this year today.

Last edited:
No club run as they were doing a time trial
Only a week to Velo South so I cut the mileage a bit

After crossing Chertsey Bridge a quick loop up to Thirpe then back down to Stonehill Road and Gracious Pond, through Windlesham and Lightwater, turning back then through Chobham, Ottershaw and Addlestone

34.25 miles at a moving speed of 17.3 mph, 741 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1845021792

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Not as nice a day today as the weekend ..
I rode Saturday and did a walk/run with the wife and dog yesterday ..
Today was 32 km and felt great afterwards ..
I could have gone further but I'm intending riding all week around 25-35 km then at the weekend do a long ride ..
Head wind today so was bit restricting but still a pleasure as I only ride for fun and fitness ..
Downside was few cars within inches of me when they overtake, nearly clipped by an elderly gentlemen which raised my blood pressure a tad ..
:bicycle:

IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out earlyish this morning to get a ride in before the weather got too bad. I went for an easy option again and did a variation of my Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor route.

It was grey and drizzly at the start but cleared up a bit as the ride went along as the breeze picked up. I'd started off with a fleece on but it was a bit too warm for that so I needed a pause to take it off in a gateway where I found another cyclist had fixed a puncture and just chucked the old tube in the hedge rather than take it away to dispose of properly. Litter lout!:dry: (I brought it home to deal with.)

I took the scenic route through Attingham Park as I like to do then on the way to Upton Magna got overtaken by one tractor only for that to get stuck behind another that was about to start hedge cutting.

On the way through Withington the wind was starting to pick up earlier than anticipated, so I knew what to expect when I got to Walcot and turned towards it. This middle section of the ride was rather a slow plod into the wind and couldn't really make the most of the good downhill bits.

Finally getting to Longnor I turned north again and had the wind directly behind me most of the way back which made the average speed look a lot better than it had been.

Dead-on 36 miles this time at 13.9 mph average.

DSC0007089.jpg

Rather damp and dreary conditions at the start.

DSC0007090.jpg

Clearing up a bit at Withington.

DSC0007091.jpg

A hint of blue sky over The Wrekin.

DSC0007093.jpg

Roads have dried up nicely at Eaton Constantine.

DSC0007094.jpg

Looks good over the Stretton Hills but quite breezy.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Booked three days off work as the weather forecast seemed okay last week:banghead:
Anyway the morning rain stopped so I took the opportunity to try the ride I abandoned due to rain a couple of weeks back, via Killinghall, Ripley (no torches lit today), Wormald Green, Markington and How Hill to Fountains Abbey. Then passed through the adjacent Deer Park
srdeer.jpg

and did actually spot three deer in the distance. Then through Ripon bypassing to the north of the centre of Britains 6th smallest city passing the 1897 clock tower built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. I had spotted the cyclist at the lights at How Hill and could not quite catch up with him and lost him in Ripon only for him to appear in front of me having a different route than I had.
clock tower.jpg

Took a cycletrack that decends under the by-pass alongside the River Ure
Ure.jpg

Thence through Sharow, Bridge Hewick
BridgeH.jpg

and Skelton on Ure to Boroughbridge. A lumpy ride via Marton cum Grafton brought me to the A168 which had a noticeable headwind. Decided to scoff my last snack at Walshford (the intent has been to eat it at Wetherby) and from there used the adjacent bridleway (the remains of the old A1 northbound) in an attempt to find some shelter. Decided to cut the southbound ride short and head back via Little Ribston and Knaresborough, where there was a train on the viaduct
kboro5.jpg

Although it did not feel like it at the time, due to the now often cross winds, Strava has a continuous stream of PRs from Walshford through Knaresborough and along the cycle path to Bilton 45.56 miles, 2142ft climbed and an average speed of 14mph.
17-9 route.jpg

17-9 elevation.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom