Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
VM club run
1st ride in nearly 2 weeks as Mrs CK had a mini stroke, MIL came down to keep an eye on her ( its was the MIL idea ) .
just over 74 miles and boy can i feel it ! Legs just died over the last 5 miles when i turned for home into the head wind , otherwise is was good to get out and De-stress .
The weather was foul for the 1st 20 or so miles but cleared up by the time we reach the cake stop at the canal side cafe in greater haywood

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1860671134/embed/4abb0554b127eeacf2f444d52a8feba0545e7c5a
'></iframe>
I hope that Mrs CK is getting better, good you could get out & about, great riding especially in the conditions !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
No photos, but the 600km Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool audax this weekend: wind, some rain, cold, very cold and tough.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1861202551

Superb. A write up in due course, perhaps? How did you get on, where did you stop ? One for the Arrivee magazine !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Superb. A write up in due course, perhaps? How did you get on, where did you stop ? One for the Arrivee magazine !

Good point. Once I've recovered there's some lessons to be learnt - which I'll write up in the hope that no-one else goes up Shap Fell inappropriately dressed at 1am on a very cold night.

The plan wasn't to stop, but I had 30 minutes snoozes at Gretna and Carnforth on the way back plus being warmed up in Kendal Travelodge.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I didn't get out in the wet and the wind over the weekend so got out this morning to try and make up for the missed miles.

The route this time was over Lyth Hill, Condover, Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna, Astley, Hadnall, Merrington, Yeaton, Great Ness, Pentre, Melverley, Prince's Oak, Halfway House, Westbury, Nox, Lea Cross, Exfords Green, Condover again and home.

It was quite chilly at the start and I set out with a couple of fleeces on for the first time this season and got about 15 miles into the ride before it warmed up enough to dispense with one of them. On the plus side there was lots of blue sky and sunshine.

There didn't seem to be much traffic on the roads today which was nice. You always get the odd driver who is a bit daft but none of them were that bad today. One that made me chuckle was going through Attingham Park where I was doing near enough the 20mph speed limit up the drive, but a chap still felt the need to go bouncing across the grass to get in front of me. He must need his fix of Georgian architecture badly.:laugh:

I was surprised at the number of cyclists I saw. There was one that I caught up with at Plex and we chatted a bit - he was heading back to Wem after shopping in Shrewsbury.

I followed a lane I've never been down before at Pentre which made a change and did my best to dodge all the hedge cuttings and the wasps, both of which seem to be everywhere at the moment. Other than that a mostly uneventful ride.

52.7 miles at 14.3 mph average.

DSC0007148.jpg

Going through Attingham Park.

DSC0007149.jpg

Looking to the Wrekin from Haughmond Hill.

DSC0007151.jpg

Gateway with a view en route to Merrington. The backdrop is Pim Hill.

DSC0007153.jpg

The church at Melverley.

DSC0007155.jpg

Skirting round the foot of Lyth Hill. Not far to go now.

Old jon

Guru
Yippee!! Back on the bike at last. It has been a long slow draggy time of it, but things are just about right now. Right enough to ride anyway. The first ride was intended to be last week but I had forgotten to fit the new chain, on one bike, and the new chain tensioners on the other. And it rained on Wednesday.

A bright morning here, wheeled the bike with gears ( and new chain ) out for a gentle ride. It was strange for a few yards then everything just worked. Except the legs of course, different use of ( almost ) muscles was a shock, and the first mile or so is almost all descending! Poor limbs.

Leeds has two canals, but the Aire and Calder has a towpath that is not really a lot of fun with a road bike. So I chose the other canal for today’s gentle ride. The usual wander through Holbeck, which to these old eyes has not yet become the ‘urban village’ it attempts to be. There are a few more pubs there, but doesn’t an urban village need a village green? And maybe a cricket team? At the end of the meander through Holbeck I crossed the beck itself on the way to Office Lock. And then a ride up the towpath until the Garmin told me I had ridden five miles, which was just to the west of Kirkstall and past the first lock. Banana scoffed, a drink and turn to return. It is possible that I could have ridden further, and it is definite that I do not want to be patient, but it is likely better the slow way.

The Garmin. It is an Edge 25, says their website. About the cheapest available when I bought it, mainly for the maps it produces and OK it is nice to know average speed and other odds about the ride. In one of the many moments of boredom in the past four months, I decided to read the manual. Anyway, it will talk to the phone, or maybe the phone talks to it. Pair it with a phone and the Garmin tells you when you have a call or text or all the rest. And Live Track as well, so your dearly beloved knows which pub you are in. Maybe I will not turn that bit on.

So, I reached home after ten and a twitch miles and my dearly beloved is just ready to have a short ride on her bike. Only a mile and a half of gentle pottering. Is that a warm down?

Single track map

24092018.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Yeah, good to see you back on the bike @Old jon :wahhey:

Thank you!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Glorious day and completed my 50 km I've been wanting to do .. had a fantastic ride and loved every minute bar one bizarre moment when I was nearly knocked off my bike at a bend in the road and a side road a car went to pull out, luckily stopped I think mainly because there was a passenger who alerted the driver could have been a disaster but didn't stop or bother me too much, the bizarre element was on my iPhone music played Catherine Jenkins - Time to say goodbye !!! I couldn't make it up if I tried ..
But I'm ok , and feel good about myself for a 50k ride in just under two hours ..

IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_3121.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG
IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3124.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was a lovely afternoon. Mrs 26 agreed to an outing. Yay. Off we went through the Castlemorton lanes and on to Camer's Green. We had a few cars on the leg to Redmarley which Mrs 26 wasn't overly happy about. The traffic vanished as we climbed to Brand Green where Mrs 26 decided we should stop at The Trioscape. Cups of coffee later we rounded by Murrell's End to climb to Woolridge. The air was pretty clear and we had some lovely views. Along the Hams our pace was fairly brisk. But Mrs 26 was getting hungry. So some dried apricots were vanished. These got her as far as Tunnel Hill where hunger was again the problem. I suggested Clive's Farm for a stop. The cafe was closed but the shop provided enough to revive her. It was just a standard run back then. She thought she could only manage 12 mph but it was more like 14. I didn't say anything as a psychological collapse wasn't wanted. All good at the end and a lovely ride out with The Boss. 48 smiles

galaxy

Veteran

Attachments

• 632731C6-1CFA-4638-8A6A-700096D5D896.jpeg
    632731C6-1CFA-4638-8A6A-700096D5D896.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 01E6EF01-CBED-48D0-8C41-20987005D868.jpeg
    01E6EF01-CBED-48D0-8C41-20987005D868.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BA976F25-B3D0-4A34-BED3-2C3C02EE6F93.jpeg
    BA976F25-B3D0-4A34-BED3-2C3C02EE6F93.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 25
  • BAC6A05F-D55D-4006-A420-901D056DCB27.jpeg
    BAC6A05F-D55D-4006-A420-901D056DCB27.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm in southern Spain for a few days holiday and spotted a bike hire place. Rude not to make use of their services I thought, so off I went.

IMG_3263.JPG

On the seafront at Fuengirola, a few hundred yards of cycle track.

IMG_3264.JPG

On past Los Boliches.

IMG_3265.JPG

Looking back to Fuengirola. I missed the giant bull on the hill at the time!

IMG_3269.JPG

I turned round then and went back to Fuengirola. This is the castle there. Saw a hoopoe which was a bonus. Didn't have time to take a pic as he flew off.

IMG_3270.JPG

Looking down from the castle.

IMG_3273.JPG

I spotted another cyclepath heading inland alongside the river.

IMG_3272.JPG

But it came to a rather abrupt end! I hadn't realised the British had been involved in cycle path design in Spain! (I love the way they bother with the white lines right up until the bitter end!)

Around 10 miles in total before I took the bike back to the lovely folks at William's Bike Hire, Fuengirola. Always good to get back in the saddle, not that I need to tell any of you lot that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom