Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
I have convinced myself - almost - that commuting by bike might be a reasonable proposition, so today I took the mongrel bike with locks weighing down the panniers and tried out a prospective route to check the timings. Most of the 11km journey is on the Wirral Way, but then there are 70 m to ascend in the last km. Today's route put too many of those in one short stretch, and I haven't been practising on hills!

Worse, though, was the "short-cut" I used to get me off the roads for a bit: a load of concrete steps with no bike channel along the side. I had to stop halfway up. I'm not proud.

The return trip was quicker, and the commute is a goer, perhaps from Monday.

Main lesson learned today is to always completely occlude the other nostril when firing a snot-rocket.

125.2 miles is by biggest ride to date, and means I have did what I set out to achieve, a 200km ride. Bike will be getting a good scrub down tomorrow.

I am not worthy :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:cheers:

pjd57

Veteran
Work then a bit of a wander today.
Glasgow city centre for work , bit chilly at 8:15.
Finished work by 1, then headed to Johnstone via Paisley. I don't use the NCR route out through Pollock park. It wanders a bit.
Joined the route at Paisley Canal.( Which isn't a canal, but a train station)
Well kept path although this week it's got plenty of tree debris.
Picked up a parcel for my Mrs then headed back into Glasgow. Over Bells bridge, then along the Clydeside.
Great to see it packed with kids on bikes , probably heading home from World car free day event.
On to Drumchapel for another Mrs' chores then back on to the canal to Maryhill.

The squirrels are very busy this week. Winter must be close.

43 miles according to Strava, but there where a couple of long straight lines in there.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
View attachment 431129 View attachment 431128 View attachment 431126 View attachment 431124 View attachment 431123 Just over 28 miles today on the Pashley.
Toddled along to Duthie Park in Aberdeen then joined the old Deeside railway line, a route I’d never explored before.
A lovely relaxing ride, just kept pedalling to see where it took me.
Eventually out to Milltimber and the new bypass, came to a dead end, so turned around and enjoyed it again :smile:

That road looks like one of the old, quaint, unrealistic Highway Code illustrations from years gone by.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been planning to do the Downs Link from Guildford to Brighton for ages, and after a recce to find the start of the path a couple of weeks back had decided that I would do it tomorrow. The frankly awful weather forecast changed that, and SWMBO agreed on a pass out for today instead.
With no rain forecast until 2pm, I figured I'd get there and mostly back before I got wet if I started early, so at 0530hrs I was out the door on the trusty CX. The plan was Wetherspoons for breakfast upon arrival...
The first 20 miles to the start of the Downs Link went quickly, and I joined it just outside Shalford. The surface was reasonable and I reckoned on making good time. 3 miles later the surface changed to bone jarring, shoulder smashing bike wrecking and that slowed me right down. And then I spotted the first of many, many little signs saying 'BHF London to Brighton here this Saturday'...…. I hoped they were leftovers form last week.
I paused at West Grinstead for a jam sandwich, and to give my body a rest. Googled the BHF ride, and surprise, it was today:rolleyes:. Figured I'd best crack on, and decided I'd have to figure out a road route back to avoid the masses and feeling like a salmon:laugh:
View attachment 431133
Arrived at Brighton Pier at 1015hrs
View attachment 431134
A change of plans to Greggs since I'd gotten some free drink vouchers last week. Bike suitably locked to scaffolding outside Greggs, 2 sausage rolls and coffee snaffled, then back on the bike.

And now it was raining:rain: I'd put the road route in the too difficult box, so figured head down and see how far back I could get before the bulk of the riders came through. The first rider with a number I passed some 10 miles into the return journey, then dribs and drabs before the bulk of them some 25 miles of so in. That left 15 - 20 miles of riding against the flow, and to be fair 99% of the riders were great, we had walkers and dogs to deal with too and there are some very narrow bits on the Downs Link so I was surprised at how smoothly it went.
The path which had been dry and dusty on the way down was now showing the effects of heavy rain and 100's of bikes. Even with full mudguards both the bike and me were getting rather mucky..
View attachment 431135

About 3 miles from where I joined the path the BHF ride joined, so the last 3, smoother, miles went faster. A pause to change the by now soaked through windproof for a full waterproof, more jam sandwiches and a gritty drink before getting back on the tarmac. Back the same way as out, I had planned an alternative but it was very lumpy and I just didn't have it in me.
Had to add a few local loops to get the miles up, and arrived home soaking wet, cold and tired.

125.2 miles is by biggest ride to date, and means I have did what I set out to achieve, a 200km ride. Bike will be getting a good scrub down tomorrow.
Well done!:bravo::bravo:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
VM club run
1st ride in nearly 2 weeks as Mrs CK had a mini stroke, MIL came down to keep an eye on her ( its was the MIL idea ) .
just over 74 miles and boy can i feel it ! Legs just died over the last 5 miles when i turned for home into the head wind , otherwise is was good to get out and De-stress .
The weather was foul for the 1st 20 or so miles but cleared up by the time we reach the cake stop at the canal side cafe in greater haywood

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1860671134/embed/4abb0554b127eeacf2f444d52a8feba0545e7c5a
'></iframe>

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
42328996_10214486302446193_2552960652738035712_n.jpg

the others who were mad enough to turn up

TigerT

Veteran
Today‘s ride was something a bit different. I did my fist slowup event. Every year on one day the road alongside Lake Zürich is closed to traffic and opened for Cyclists, Skaters and Runners e.t.c

It’s a fantastic event you just turn up and ride. Hence there is everything from Cycle Clubs to kids out. Everyone just goes at whatever pace they like.

At every village and town along the route there are food stands and different events. Really good fun. Though it is absolute chaos with people just stopping randomly or children just randomly darting in front of you! But it’s very good natured and near misses were just met with a smile and an apology....Very Swiss!

Only saw 2 Acccidents 1 where a child on a scooter threw a tantrum and launched their scooter across the road taking out quite a few people and one where somebody just fell over for no noticeable reason!

The route is a total of 56km‘s if you do it both ways. But I also cycled there and back so just over 100. My 3rd 100 this Month and taking my total for the year to 3050km‘s

Weather on the event was excellent, but the way home had a horrible headwind to accompany all the up hill bits.

286083F0-2C62-42AB-A695-44927243B659.jpeg
The bike enjoying the view.

0A501EB3-1890-4F50-8DA0-152F1D9086A3.jpeg
The event in Schmerikon at the end of the route.
47E584A3-53DC-422F-B147-B4191082EDCC.jpeg
More nice views.
CAE2813F-D1A5-4942-8687-A6474EEFD48C.jpeg
And a map.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out just after a light lunch, I’d planned a slightly longer loop today but I probably could have done with another layer and 3/4 bibs, I felt cold and wasn’t warming up. So 30 miles instead of the planned 50 with an average of 15.8 mph. I often cycle past the church at Cawood but stopped to take some photos today, a lovely church and a nice Sunday ride out.

471DB300-37C3-4848-827E-4CF11F75389D.jpeg
809EDD6B-66FD-42BA-A70B-3A3860CB847A.jpeg
E870DF76-F066-4652-931F-D98E521E1CD1.jpeg
BD87AFA9-D7F4-49BD-8DB2-BD44DD5DF3B1.jpeg
0EF5672F-9C52-4282-9970-4998ABBAED0B.jpeg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Despite setting the alarm for relatively early, due to a combination of pressing the snooze button and general faffery, it was nearly half nine when I finally got out.

Still felt chilly despite the sun being out, so the same basic dress code as yesterday, but upgraded the socks for merino ones and the new top for an old one that did sterling service keeping me warm last year and think it was about right for today.

I'm going to be honest and admit I very nearly didn't bother going out today, but forced myself to get out and I'm glad I did. The first mile or two up Coal Road and onto Skeltons Lane were a grind, but I sorted myself on the long descent into Thorner and was more like myself along Main Street and up Milner Lane onto the ridge, staying left to arrive in Rigton Green, before taking Compton Lane for the run along the next ridge high above the A58.

I turned right up the hill at the Jewitt Lane junction, past the piggery and then started to gently descend between the fields, pausing for a moment for a couple of pics about half way along:
IMG_20180923_100444557_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180923_100511646_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and down to the slanted crossroads, up the other side and onto Holme Farm Lane, back to Milner Lane and retracing my earlier route back into Thorner.
Right at the Mexborough Arms onto Carr Lane for the climb out of the village and (eventually) the drop through the S-bends where not one, but two foxes ran across the road in front of me. I know that a lot of people class them as vermin, but they are fine looking creatures and that brightened my morning a notch or two.

Just before the A58 I was passed by a small group of eMTB riders heading the other way and after a short run down the Wetherby Road it was the sharp climb up Coal Road, over the roundabout and local roads down to home

15.01 miles (24.15km) in a leisurely 1h 9m at an average of 13.0 mph with just 731ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.6°C

It took me a while to get going, but I enjoyed that despite making heavy weather of it at times. A few cyclists out, but outnumbered by horse riders and joggers for most of the ride, and although it was only marginally warmer than yesterday getting the layering right and having a bit of sun on my back made a real difference.

Then we took the dog for a walk, calling in at the Co-op on the way back for essentials (bread, chocolate, mince pies...;)) and then spend most of the afternoon binge watching the final 4 episodes of Killing Eve on iPlayer. It's what Sundays were made for. ^_^

And to end, the map:
23092018.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Squeak squeak went the bike again despite the chainring bolts being tightened up so an anti-clock wise short loop of 11.9 miles and 861ft climbing focused on the Nidderdale Greenway, which was very quite to Ripley and even the viaduct was devoid of people; the only point on the route where it hits you this part was part of a mainline railway
nidd viaduct2.jpg

West of Ripley on the very non railway section it was very busy with walkers and dogs . Despite the squeaks managed my fastest ascent of Hollybank Hill which Strava indicates has a brief section at 23.5%.
Hollybank Lane1.jpg
Hollybank Lane2.jpg

and then descended the eastern Clint Bank pass a number of road closed signs which seemed a bit over the top when the closure was reached.
Clint bank rd closed.jpg

Up Hollins Lane and back through the country park. More checking of bolts and cleaning and oiling but still squeak squeak - put bike away and eventually found via Google someone having the same problem and it turned out to be the rear skewer either needing cleaning or greasing so that will be the next thing to try otherwise it looking like the bike making a visit to the LBS.
23-9 route.jpg

23-9 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It was difficult to get a ride in with one thing and another this weekend.
However, I’ve just squeezed in 12 chilly miles in the dying light. Leg warmers and gloves being the order of the day

226B7749-6671-48D1-A81A-C93648595702.jpeg
0F38C6C6-1F7C-4364-9282-F54C3B8AF2C1.jpeg

Once home I went to shut the garage door... ‘SPADOING!!!’

One snapped cable and a massive spring almost decapitating me! Oh how I laughed!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1861405799

Top Bottom