Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
First night ride of the autumn last night.
Just a familiar 15 mile round trip across Glasgow to Celtic Park and home again.
Nice night going. Pouring down coming home. It's ok that way round
Sitting soggy watching football isn't great.

Still plenty of cyclists out after 10 on the way home.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's still blowing here and we had a fair drop of rain in the night. So I chose to wear mudguards today. My first few miles were to climb the Wyche. Not the best thing to do on cold legs but I took my time. I met a chap also riding uphill so we chatted till he turned off at the top. I dropped to Colwall and arrived at the meet just before Pete M. My pal Alf S turned up walking his dog so the chat slowed our departure.

Underway we aimed for the climb to Acton Green taking a hedge lined route to fend off the blow. Over the top the wind made itself very well known and the descent had added trickiness in the blustery conditions. I had expected the run to Burley gate to be tough but we had enough hedge to hide behind. We did, however, get a nasty shower and my rain jacket went on. At Burley Gate tho' I could take it off. Another little shower got Pete grumbling again but it wasn't far to our cafe at Radway Bridge.

We had a fairly lengthy break for refreshments before we crossed main roads by Lugwardine for the flanks of the Marcles. We looped to Yarkhill and began a fairly well assisted (by the wind) route through Canon Frome to Bosbury. Pete lead us by Old Colwall back to our meet spot. He suggested I take a different climb back over the Malverns so I latched onto that idea and climbed Evendine to stop at the top and fill my bottles from the spring there. Not long after I dropped off the Hills to home where that spring water made a lovely cup of tea. 53 smiles

colly

Re member eR
Last Weekday of my holidays today and no motivation to do anything. But the sun was shining and due to being away I haven't cycled in over 2 weeks. So time for a Coffee and Cake ride!

I decided to try a new route. I'm a bit bored with my normal coffee and cake ride and it lacks opportunities for extensions. So today I thought I'd try out a new route. I've done bits of Route 45 from Zürich to Winterthur before, but never the complete route. After a false start, when I discovered my Garmins latest fault is that since the latest firmware update it doesn't charge (fixed by a hard reset), I set out with my old Garmin which recently decided to work again (don't know why, the screen was corrupted and it wouldn't get satellite - nothing resolved it then I tried it one last time before binning it and everything worked)!

Route 45 is an easy one to follow and heads out through Schwamendingen, Stettbach and Dubendorf before climbing up into the woods and emerging in Effretikon. From there it's a fairly simple run along the roads into Winterthur. I enjoyed it - Enough hills to be challenging but still be enjoyable. So I headed into the City Centre to find a Starbucks for s large Coffee and a Slice of Banana Bread.

Winterthur bills itself to be Switzerlands Cycling city. Bikes are certainly very popular there. They are everywhere and it's impossible to find space to park despite there being bike racks everywhere you look. BUT, I have to say, it also has some of the most confusing signage I've ever seen. The same cycle route 45 is signposted in 2 different directions at one stage. They both end up in the same place, but you don't know that unless you stop and look at the map. I picked the correct one as one of them heads over some gravel and I was trying to avoid that today.

After relaxing for a while and looking at the map for options, I decided I'd head back the same way. The sun was out and due to a strong headwind, I wasn't going to be hurrying. The journey back was fairly slow and uneventful.

I think there is a good possibility I'll be doing this ride more often. It has long quiet road sections, very few Gravel paths (just through the woods and half of that is being resurfaced (still gravel but compacted quite hard) and one longish climb in each direction.... And of course a convenient half way stop for Coffee and Cake. There are also numerous options for extensions to explore.

Here are a couple of photos

View attachment 430941
Heading through the woods, obviously quite focussed on something, but I can't remember what!
View attachment 430942
Mandatory Coffee and cake stop. As Starbucks goes, this one is pretty nice, it has lots of outdoor seating and a large outdoor seating area on the roof, excellent just for watching the world go by!
View attachment 430943
Obligatory shot of the bike shown here admiring a temporary art installation at Stettbach.
I like for the post and the ride. NOT for that God awful pile of badly painted old louvre doors ex B&Q posing as 'art'

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E, Mrs 26 and me in the Green. Margaret PR, Rob A and Jules H at the Pot. It wasn't very warm and rain was in the air. It was coming in ahead of forecasted schedule. Mrs 26 decided she'd had enough and headed for home. The remainers were looking for something short. So we headed out through the school and by Bushley for The Mythe. No need for much refreshment this morning as we'd hardly ridden any distance. Cup of coffee fitted the requirement.

The rain had picked up a bit when we headed out for the loop by The White Rabbit. Jules had enough of the rain so turned for home early. Margaret decided to add a few miles. As we rode to Brotheridge Green June P came the other way. So Margaret and I stopped for a chat while the other two headed for some warm and dry. We had a good catch up with June and headed for Hanley Swan where Margaret looped back for Upton. Just a few more damp miles for me before I could get out of the yucky weather. Nice social one today even if the miles were curtailed and the weather rubbish. 32 smiles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Forgive me CycleChatters, for it has been 13 days since my last ride. :smile:

And blimey, who turned the thermostat down since then? I'd already decided it would be longs today, but also added a base layer, arm warmers, a 'thermal' long sleeved top, buff, full finger gloves and put shoe covers on. And put my Santini windproof jacket over the top of that.
And it was still chilly. :cold:

Before we go any further I'd like to state now that I've got a cold, so I've given myself a TUE and todays performance was enabled by Wilko Decongestant Spray. :whistle:

Anyhow, Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and a squirt along the A58 took me to the quiet lane out to Shadwell, then up to Slaid Hill lights, through the dip and loop back round into Scarcroft.
Back onto the A58 and the long descent all the way to Bardsey, the short incline to the traffic lights and then more gentle down-ness to Collingham. Did I mention it was chilly? It certainly was after 3 miles of descending...:rolleyes:
Anyhow, the dogleg and over the river into Linton where the lumps and bumps restored some warmth, as did the climb up the hill from the fringes of Wetherby heading for Spofforth.
Through there and across the causeway and straight on at the corner onto the quiet road to Little Ribston which is one of my favourite cycling lanes. It was quite busy today as I was passed by three cars and a van. It was like blooming rush hour! :laugh:

Right in the village and back out into the countryside, before taking a left onto Ox Close Lane and more ruralness. Over the A168 bridge (deserted, as usual) and then the A1(M) bridge (very busy), and the twists and turns through to Cowthorpe and beyond, getting passed by a group of around 8 riders. I tried to get a tow, but they were doing 22mph+ and I soon realised I was much happier at 17/18mph :heat:

As they peeled off left towards Cattal, I turned right onto Rudgate past the former airfield and industrial estate (it's nice than it sounds!) down to Rudgate Crossroads, where it was straight across and onwards, eventually taking the right for the back road into Walton, where I stopped for a couple of pics by St Peters church:

IMG_20180922_094332042_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180922_094530872_HDR.jpg

I've meant to get a pic of the church here for a while but it's quite tricky to get a decent shot - the road is quite a bit below the footpath outside the church and the church is higher still and surrounded by mature trees masking it from view. Still, there we go.

Back on the bike and off again, now down through Thorp Arch, across the river and up into Boston Spa where a quick wiggle along Main Street saw me onto the road to Clifford, up to the top of the village and the plunge down the hill into Bramham. Which was followed by the inevitable climb back out of Bramham and over the A1(M) bridge and the steady incline alongside Bramham Park.
I was joined at this point by another rider, who'd just set off rom Bramham and had chased me up the hill. We had a brief chat, mainly about how chilly it had got. As we passed one of the several entrances to Bramham Park it was being guarded by two uniformed police officers and a soldier...not sure what was going on there? At this point, the other cyclist said his goodbyes and pushed on, while I kept it spinning, before taking the right fork onto Thorner Lane and through the dip, then the long straight to Milner Lane, which I took along the ridge and down into Thorner.
Through the village, staying on Main Street and not taking Carr Lane for a change. Noticed that the village shop appears to have shut, with a sign outside directing people to the shop in Scholes (a good ten minutes away by car) instead.
Going this way was the more direct route home but it meant tackling Sandhills, or Van Zyl Hill as it's become known. A mile of up, but with only one steepish ramp and a couple of places to get your breath back, so I was soon passing the now very faded writing on the road from the inaugural TdY which means that you're nearly at the top.
Right onto Skeltons Lane, along there and onto Coal Road, then local roads down to home.

38.68 miles (62.25km) in a steady 2h 48m at an average of 13.8mph with 1,876ft climbed and an average temperature of just 7.2°C

Despite the chill, I enjoyed that. I need to get the layering sorted though as I've been out in colder but I really felt it today and even had cold fingers despite wearing the gloves that saw me through nearly all last winter without issue. Quite a few cyclists out and a decent number of mixed groups, so that's all good.
Even better, the apocalyptic weather forecast for tomorrow has now been re-routed far to the south and the local weather warnings cancelled, so it looks like I'll get a ride in tomorrow all being well.

And to end, the map:
22092018.JPG

(Garmin are clearly having a laugh with that weather symbol as we haven't seen the sun all day round here...)

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Made the mistake of thinking “Wetherby” again. Base layer and leg warmers on for the first time this Autumn but the bike had other ideas and started squeaking, seemed to be uphill only and initially I thought it was the seat post as I had regreased it. Eventually concluded that it was not the seat post after riding into Arkendale stood on the pedals so decided to turn south there to return via Knaresborough once again, doing a loop off the busy A59 through Goldsborough where the village public house is The Bay Horse (a listed building) along with a cross (unlisted).
Goldsborough1.jpg

The exit from the village towards Knaresborough should be marked by listed gate posts but one seems to have been demolished
GoldsboroughGP.jpg

24.82 squeaky miles,1216 foot climbed, 13.4 mph average
22-9 elevation and route.jpg

Discovered a loose chainring bolt – trip to LBS needed for a chainring bolt tool and as usual as soon as I walked in the door of the LBS completely forgot the crucial word, chainring in this instance :blush: Got there in the end:okay:

Last edited:
First club ride in ages and a big group too,coffee stop in the bland 'village' that is Cambourn and a drizzly run back via Comberton.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1858184776

Double espresso and coffee and walnut cake ;

IMG_2634.jpg

And stylish attire ;

IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Metric Century-a-Month Challenge time again. Today was my last chance to get one in this month, so no choice but to head off out on the "Bill's Theocsbury Ramble" audax despite the rain. It never really chucked it down, but it fretted and drizzled throughout the entire ride. It was a nice quiet route from Tewkesbury to Stratford-upon-Avon and back, mostly on quiet little lanes and about 10 miles of it on the Stratford Greenway. Ended up doing 71.8 miles, including to and from the start. Quite pleased with 6 hours 15 mins for the 70 mile audax.
At the half way point in Stratford, I forgot to ask for a receipt as proof of passage, so one of the other riders took this picture in the Golden Bee instead:
306 Proof of passage.JPG

Stratford has to be the jay-walking capital of Britain, judging by the number of people who drifted across the road in front of me as I cycled through. I think some of them may have been distracted by the morris men performing in the park by the Shakespeare Theatre:
307 Stratford morris men.JPG

Not many photos today as it was a flat, grey, drizzly day, but I thought the Stratford Greenway deserved a shot:
308 The Greenway.JPG

It is one of those ex railway line joint use pedestrian/cycle ways, with an excellent surface and a couple of cafes like the above in old railway carriages. I can recommend it as a nice quiet way to get into Stratford from the South West.
One of the information control points caused a little consternation on the way back to Tewkesbury, as you had to answer a question about who this church was dedicated to ..... and the only information we could find was a plaque about the donation of the gate. So cue more photographic evidence of passage:
309 Control point.JPG

As usual, the audaxing community was friendly and welcoming as ever, and I had a few nice chats as we rode along. On the way out, I rode the Greenway with Mike from Kidderminster, and on the way back I chatted with a lady from Gloucester City Cycling Club before finding myself repeatedly overtaking, then being overtaken by, Bill from Shrewsbury. Bill and I rode the last 30 or so miles together, and I probably have him to thank for keeping up the pace and getting me round so fast. When I start to tire, I often find my mind drifting and my speed taking a dip. All I really need is a reference point .... someone else setting a pace that I know I can do and sticking to it better than I would have done. Bill did a great job. We shook hands at the end, and went our separate ways. I'm hoping to bump into him again on the circuit in future. I think there were only 30 or so riders today, so I was quite pleased to see 8 or 10 of them still arriving in Tewkesbury as I was driving home to Gloucester. I always used to scrape in at the tail end of the field just before the time limit, so I guess I'm improving.
I've had a long, hot soak in the bath and a roast dinner now, so I'm feeling good. Don't know how I'll feel tomorrow, though, and I'm helping a mate to move house! Eek!
Cheers, Donger.

Mrs M

Guru
D48B35E9-0053-492C-8294-FA282ABF2508.jpeg
871B7677-CBA2-4621-B30E-0244CA6206BC.jpeg
BB6E4652-40F9-4EE4-93EA-CFD451E3CAF5.jpeg
63AE231F-DCA0-4524-AA78-00F22AC54087.jpeg
D9CAF325-52E7-44FA-8862-36C4CA6BDFDE.jpeg
Just over 28 miles today on the Pashley.
Toddled along to Duthie Park in Aberdeen then joined the old Deeside railway line, a route I’d never explored before.
A lovely relaxing ride, just kept pedalling to see where it took me.
Eventually out to Milltimber and the new bypass, came to a dead end, so turned around and enjoyed it again :smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've been planning to do the Downs Link from Guildford to Brighton for ages, and after a recce to find the start of the path a couple of weeks back had decided that I would do it tomorrow. The frankly awful weather forecast changed that, and SWMBO agreed on a pass out for today instead.
With no rain forecast until 2pm, I figured I'd get there and mostly back before I got wet if I started early, so at 0530hrs I was out the door on the trusty CX. The plan was Wetherspoons for breakfast upon arrival...
The first 20 miles to the start of the Downs Link went quickly, and I joined it just outside Shalford. The surface was reasonable and I reckoned on making good time. 3 miles later the surface changed to bone jarring, shoulder smashing bike wrecking and that slowed me right down. And then I spotted the first of many, many little signs saying 'BHF London to Brighton here this Saturday'...…. I hoped they were leftovers form last week.
I paused at West Grinstead for a jam sandwich, and to give my body a rest. Googled the BHF ride, and surprise, it was today:rolleyes:. Figured I'd best crack on, and decided I'd have to figure out a road route back to avoid the masses and feeling like a salmon:laugh:
22 Sept 2018 West Grinstead.jpg

Arrived at Brighton Pier at 1015hrs
22 Sept 2018 Brighton Pier.jpg

A change of plans to Greggs since I'd gotten some free drink vouchers last week. Bike suitably locked to scaffolding outside Greggs, 2 sausage rolls and coffee snaffled, then back on the bike.

And now it was raining:rain: I'd put the road route in the too difficult box, so figured head down and see how far back I could get before the bulk of the riders came through. The first rider with a number I passed some 10 miles into the return journey, then dribs and drabs before the bulk of them some 25 miles of so in. That left 15 - 20 miles of riding against the flow, and to be fair 99% of the riders were great, we had walkers and dogs to deal with too and there are some very narrow bits on the Downs Link so I was surprised at how smoothly it went.
The path which had been dry and dusty on the way down was now showing the effects of heavy rain and 100's of bikes. Even with full mudguards both the bike and me were getting rather mucky..
22 Sept 2018 Muddy Legs.jpeg

About 3 miles from where I joined the path the BHF ride joined, so the last 3, smoother, miles went faster. A pause to change the by now soaked through windproof for a full waterproof, more jam sandwiches and a gritty drink before getting back on the tarmac. Back the same way as out, I had planned an alternative but it was very lumpy and I just didn't have it in me.
Had to add a few local loops to get the miles up, and arrived home soaking wet, cold and tired.

125.2 miles is by biggest ride to date, and means I have did what I set out to achieve, a 200km ride. Bike will be getting a good scrub down tomorrow.

Top Bottom