Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'll let you know when I'm coming down, waiting news of the patter of tiny feet from my brother...Plan to stay at Riverside Campsite again.

Ask my sister in law for discount.......

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
6BD94810-8D16-43F8-B853-14AA2527DB40.jpeg
Well, my planned ride went...ok. The plan was to get from Ilfracombe to Brentor. I managed to get to Meeth, 50.81 miles, before I conked out and needed rescue. Still the 2nd longest ride I've ever done and I'm not displeased. Average was 10.5mph, also not bad. Just a smidge over 3000ft elevation, max speed 31.9mph.
My errors were several: first and greatest was just not enough riding done recently. That might have been eased if I hadn't taken a wrong turn and ended up down in Woolacombe. Which meant I had to grind UP out of Woolacombe, and it's a fair old grind. So that lost me an hour and some energy that might otherwise have got me to Okehampton or maybe even all the way.
Third: I STILL failed to take single pic. From now on, I will pack an old Sony digicam specifically.
OVERALL:
1) Verity. Very Marmite. I like Marmite. I didn't like Verity.
2) Why is cycling infrastructure so poorly signed? The Woolacombe error was because I came out of a path onto a road and found two tiny signs, each saying '27' and pointing in opposite directions...no other markings. I'd made a contribution to it just a little earlier by (I'm guessing) missing a previous choice.
3) Why is so much of NCN27, and presumably other routes, so damned rough? Ok for CX and MTB, definitely some of it bad news for a 25c shod road bike. I'll not undertake any such route again until the Norco is fitted with its Vittoria Hyper Voyager 42s.
So, I blew it, but reasonably enjoyably!
Footnote: one of the things I cordially detest about me and any outdoor activity is that my nose constantly streams. It's a lifelong thing, and says something about cycling that I'll put up with it to ride.
If i don't include pictures next time, shoot me.
PS this takes my total logged mileage to over 1000. At last!

HUGE kudos to you. Well done on a smashing ride. I would agree with almost every point of yours. Except Verity. I fell deeply in love and I can’t get her out of my mind. Smitten. Bowled over. Love sick. It’s agony.

Well done again. I bet even though it’s ‘only’ your second longest ride, I bet you it’s the one with the most elevation. Rest up now.

View attachment 436318

HUGE kudos to you. Well done on a smashing ride. I would agree with almost every point of yours. Except Verity. I fell deeply in love and I can’t get her out of my mind. Smitten. Bowled over. Love sick. It’s agony.

Well done again. I bet even though it’s ‘only’ your second longest ride, I bet you it’s the one with the most elevation. Rest up now.
Thanks. There's no doubt that I bit off more than I could chew, but we live and learn.
Also a shout out to South Fork Racing in Braunton. Went in to get a 2nd water bottle, a piece of my plan that worked. I asked if I could fill it, and he nipped smartly to the back of the (extremely well stocked) shop and topped it off from large bottled water kept for that purpose.
And the guy was doing emergency puncture work on a pram wheel during all this, it had gone pop just as I arrived. Proper local shop.

That might have been eased if I hadn't taken a wrong turn and ended up down in Woolacombe. Which meant I had to grind UP out of Woolacombe, and it's a fair old grind. So that lost me an hour and some energy that might otherwise have got me to Okehampton or maybe even all the way.
Third: I STILL failed to take single pic. From now on, I will pack an old Sony digicam specifically.
OVERALL:
1) Verity. Very Marmite. I like Marmite. I didn't like Verity.
2) Why is cycling infrastructure so poorly signed? The Woolacombe error was because I came out of a path onto a road and found two tiny signs, each saying '27' and pointing in opposite directions...no other markings. I'd made a contribution to it just a little earlier by (I'm guessing) missing a previous choice.
Well done on the ride, a lovely area. A pity about that wrong turning - Woolacombe is a lovely town but there's no way out of it by bike that isn't tough and/or evil. The least awful way is the coast road to Mortehoe but that still has some big ramps, but is much quieter and less of a slog than the main road. Never did manage to get up Challacombe without getting off and pushing, despite trying probably a dozen times. 25%, single track, with cars coming the other way.

1) I remember liking Verity at the time but it turns out I only saw her from the good side, not the OH GOD THE HORROR side.
2) I know the exact spot you mean, it threw us when we were exploring on a family ride, I did a bit of scouting, we couldn't realistically ride on those roads with young kids. Decided it was easier to go to Ilfracombe instead (and went down the way you presumably came up).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cold first thing, but with the clock change meant there was almost daylight by the time I set off.

Full autumn gear on, including overshoes, hoping my feet wouldn't hurt as much as a couple of weeks ago.

Out up Hatfield Bank, past Pirton, over the motorway, left up Kinnersley, and left again towards Pershore going past Dunstall Castle, with the Sun coming up by the tower among the clouds
View attachment 435987
Then on to Pershore, and on towards Pinvin. The road is still closed, but the cycle path is open, so no diversion for me.

Onwards across the A44, through Pinvin heading for Upton Snodsbury. I took a bit of a detour via Seaford to add some distance. The ford doesn't look overfull.
View attachment 435988
Still, I used the foot bridge to keep my feet dry. Stopped here for a drink and a nut bar, and then onwards towards Naunton Beauchamp, where they had this display
View attachment 435989
Then onwards to North Piddle and the A422. The A422 is somewhat narrow, with fastish traffic, and some blind bends, but this early it is almost empty and it is a quick dash to Broughton Hackett, and then a left onto the lanes for Churchill, White Ladies Aston and left on the A44 for Egdon, and almost immediatly a right for Windmill Hill and Drakes Broughton aiming for Wadborough.

Once in Wadborough home is close, but my legs were starting to flag, and there was a cold cutting wind that made the last few miles a bit of a chore, but the glorious sunshine made up for it.

31.8 miles at 13.8mph, and 180miles this month, the most miles I have done in a single month.

Dunstall Castle was the scene of a shooting years ago involving my mother.

Travellers took up residence on the surrounding land which we called Dunstall Common, although strictly it's Croome Estate land.

Unfortunately the travellers' site soon became an eyesore - rubbish, scrap cars and the like.

The locals were not impressed. and as chairman of the parish council, it fell to my mother to lead the campaign to get the site cleared.

This led to several 'meetings' with the travellers on the common, which inevitably turned ugly.

Matters came to a head when one of the travellers discharged a shotgun towards the deputation of locals.

Fortunately, he didn't turn me into an orphan, and the shooting did finally motivate the coppers to do something.

A few days later, about half the West Mercia force turned up, tooled up and ready, accompanied by several bin wagons, tow trucks, and a good squad of labour from the council.

The travellers were evicted and the site cleared.

Thoughts then turned to how to prevent their return.

It was decided to dig a trench either side of the road to prevent vehicle access to the open ground.

The trench is still just about visible in your pic, although it's clearer in this earlier aerial pic ripped from the internet.

maxresdefault.jpg

C R

Guru
Dunstall Castle was the scene of a shooting years ago involving my mother.

Travellers took up residence on the surrounding land which we called Dunstall Common, although strictly it's Croome Estate land.

Unfortunately the travellers' site soon became an eyesore - rubbish, scrap cars and the like.

The locals were not impressed. and as chairman of the parish council, it fell to my mother to lead the campaign to get the site cleared.

This led to several 'meetings' with the travellers on the common, which inevitably turned ugly.

Matters came to a head when one of the travellers discharged a shotgun towards the deputation of locals.

Fortunately, he didn't turn me into an orphan, and the shooting did finally motivate the coppers to do something.

A few days later, about half the West Mercia force turned up, tooled up and ready, accompanied by several bin wagons, tow trucks, and a good squad of labour from the council.

The travellers were evicted and the site cleared.

Thoughts then turned to how to prevent their return.

It was decided to dig a trench either side of the road to prevent vehicle access to the open ground.

The trench is still just about visible in your pic, although it's clearer in this earlier aerial pic ripped from the internet.

View attachment 436354

Must have been unsettling. I did wonder about the ditches, as there aren't any ditches like that in any other of the fields in the area, as far as I can tell.

Interestingly, there was a large group of travelers with horses and horse drawn wagons camped on the grass around the turn for Grafton Flyford, off the A422, when I went past on the same ride on Sunday.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Must have been unsettling. I did wonder about the ditches, as there aren't any ditches like that in any other of the fields in the area, as far as I can tell.

Interestingly, there was a large group of travelers with horses and horse drawn wagons camped in the grass around the turn for Grafton Flyford, off the A422, when I went past on the same ride on Sunday.

The trenches would have been dug close to 50 years ago.

To be fair to the locals, I didn't detect much hostility to the travellers when they first arrived.

But regrettably the site soon became a mess, and perhaps of more concern, stuff started to go missing.

Someone nicked two metal gates from our farm, presumably to be sold as scrap - the first we knew of that was a phone call from a neighbour to say our stock was wandering down the lane.

There was a bit of scandal at the farm nearest to the castle and next to the motorway.

One of the couple who had it went to prison for fraud, I think in relation to a business they were running from the property.

In 'my' pic there's a straight driveway leading off the lane to the left.

That farm was occupied by members of the Rimell family - I mentioned previously the National Hunt trainer Fred Rimell had his stables at Kinnersley nearby.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A windy ride to Cambridge for lunch. Three of us met in Hertford this morning at 9-30, had a nice ride there with a nice tailwind blowing us along, Stopped at the Copper Ketle for lunch, the food is good but a bit more expensive than the last time we where there, looks like it might be under new mangement. Will have to find somewhere cheaper next time, maybe the wetherspoons, Back on the bikes and straight into a headwind, was like that all the way home, was a hard ride.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1937825910

Just a quick one today, spin up the road for some errands. Could tell the weather had turned by the cold air hitting my lungs and the white salt stripe on my tyres. Time to put the good bike away. Sleep well.

My excitement for the day came in the form of a fellow in the car park hurriedly trying to get out of his parking space and in the process reversing into a bollard right in front of me before driving off. Looked quite sheepish when I caught up to him and handed him his tail light...

Old jon

Guru
There is good, another bright day to enjoy on the bike. Still the one with gears because my fitness still lacks a bit. Or maybe my confidence, I dunno.

Actually, there was no lack of confidence this morning, at first. I had the idea to ride the direct route, rather than the Holbeck Triangle, just to see if turning right across four lanes of traffic was something I wanted to do. I did not want to. So I turned left onto Water Lane instead and found my way to the canal at Office Lock. Sort of average, left the canal at Viaduct Road, descended to Kirkstall Road and then ascended through Headingley and other areas another four miles or so to the water tower at Cookridge. That felt like a lot of going up this morning. The going up was rewarded afterwards with some great views over towards Wharfedale and easier riding along the road to Bramhope. Stopped for a munch there, just opposite the bakery. A delivery driver left the bakery, got into his van, which had a Hull address on it, and as he drove off he told me something uncomplimentary about me not wearing a helmet. I blew him a kiss. He did not respond.

After the right turn onto the A 660, along to the roundabout and turn left and up past the former quarry towards Arthington Road and then right to pass the eastern border of Golden Acre Park, then right again to cross Adel Dam. A bit more rising road, pass the church and eventually turn yet again right to rejoin the A 660 and ride back to Headingley, down again to Kirkstall and along the towpath in the direction of home. After leaving Water Lane and riding along Great Wilson Street I happily demonstrated ( to myself, no one else was watching ) that I could turn right across three lanes of traffic. This was to allow me to zig and zag through that corner of Hunslet and onwards towards my front door. One grin, one frozen left foot and a quarter short of twenty two miles for the morning. Great!

A map

31102018.jpg

colly

Re member eR
I thought a ride out in the Autumn sunshine would be just the job today. I've been off the bike a whole 9 days during which lovely sunny warm days have come and gone but I had other duties. Not all of which were onerous, but even so.
So today was the day.
Out for about 9.30, winter top, wooly hat, and gloves on because despite the sunshine it was cold. I had a plan to take in some roads I have never used. It was going to be hilly.

I had to dog leg through Moortown with lots of traffic due to road works on the ring road and I made for Shadwell and East Keswick. Over Linton Bridge and a left through Sicklinghall. Even out in the sticks there was resurfacing going on and diversion signs all over the place. I think some were repositioned by 'jokers'. The end result was I went down Kearby Cliff twice:

20181031_104220.jpg

Had I been forced to climb it twice it wouldn't have been very amusing. I did have to clamber up Moor Lane, AKA Barrowby Hill, though.

Pressing on it was along to the A61 and a short but noisy climb up to Dunkeswick Lane and North Rigton. Where there is a church St John the Evangelist:

20181031_111809.jpg

20181031_111849.jpg

From the far side of the church the graveyard has great views over Wharfedale. ( not that's much use to the residents mind you ).
On and up again past Almcliff Crag which often features in pics:

20181031_112647.jpg

On through Stainburn to Leathley where I turned north off my usual roads and took a left up a small side road, Cinder lane and Pill White Lane.
Uphill and across farms and through gates and eventually meeting the top end of the climb up from Linley reservoir. (or Ree-zer-voy as a bloke I once worked with pronounced the word)
Climbing up from Leathley I had the sun on my back pretty much all the way and by the time I got to the top of Norwood Bank I was wet through with sweat.
On the fast run down towards Bland Hill and Swinsty Reservoir I got cold. Very cold. I stopped at Swinsty to get a couple of pics:

20181031_122437.jpg

20181031_122441.jpg

As you can see the levels are well down at Swinsty. As they are at Fewston which is just along the valley a bit:

fewston.JPG

The spilway from Fewston into Swinsty Looks like it's not going to be needed for some time yet:

20181031_123722.jpg

20181031_123759.jpg

I took some pics of the church in Fewston which is very pretty but no room on here to post them. I'll do it another time when I'm out that way. It crossed my mind that when the curch was built the reservoirs would not have been there. All there would have been is a valley with the River Washburn running through it.

The climb up from the reservoir to the road across the moor did nothing to warm me up, I was cold. The sun had gone in and I was still damp, wetter than an otters pocket in fact. The road to Otley didn't look all that inviting:

20181031_124909.jpg

But having no option I plodded on and ground my way the 6 miles or so across the moor and finally dropped down the fast decent into Otley. Which made me even colder. I needed a bite to eat so grabbed something from a shop and sat in the riverside park watching the ducks.
I had cut the ride short because I was cold and so instead of making for Ilkley I took the road home.

I got in 5 hours or so after I had set off and I was bloody pleased to back. Nevertheless it was a good day out.

54 miles and 4700 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29180612

Last edited:
Top Bottom