Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not my usual style to include so much text in my ride reports, but this one was historical for me, so listen and weep for just this once. I have been planning to do the Devon Coast to Coast for a few months now. Officially it starts in Ilfracombe and ends at the Cremyll Ferry in Plymouth. However I needed to bolt on another 50km to bring the total distance to over 200km each way for Audax purposes. AND I needed to get back to my amended start point in Porlock. So I had to return the next day bringing my total to over 400km. Normally the ride is completed in 3 days ONE WAY. I did it both ways in two. Pasties for me. I had never done a ride of such proportions back to back so I was interested in what my body and mind did. I was surprised it coped remarkably well albeit my legs lost speed and power after about 350km and silly-elevation.

It is a tremendous route that you can complete in one go like this if you are prepared for a long day and are quick through the feed points, sights and are confident with night riding and navigation. The section between Porlock and Ilfracombe is only 50km but has 1500m of elevation. It is beautiful but very hard with gradients of 15-25% to quote conservative road signs. Strava tells a scarier story.

Day 1 entailed about 8 hours of sleet and rain and I got lost in Plymouth on my way to my B&B. I had to nip out to eat, and as I was travelling light, I was still in my cycling get up. Not recommended in Plymouth in a Saturday night.

Day 2 had a strong, cold headwind for most of the journey. One of the highlights was descending the 7km Porlock Toll Road in the dark that I had climbed the day before. With a lovely surface, no cars and switch backs right to the bottom of 1500m I was lost in a world of deluded Alpinism. Somehow I am missing about 4km from Strava. Exmoor and Dartmoor lay lines must be to blame. But there we are: Somehow I completed 2 big days back to back. What a fantastic part of the world. If darkness and time hadn’t been against me I would have stopped at @DCBassman ’s house for some coffee. Another time for that goal!

View attachment 436056
Southbound day 1
View attachment 436057
Northbound Day 2
View attachment 436058 View attachment 436060 View attachment 436059 View attachment 436061 View attachment 436062 View attachment 436063 View attachment 436064 View attachment 436059

:notworthy::notworthy: Great ride, great write up. I may be doing part of the Plymouth end soon on Drakes Trail

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
:notworthy::notworthy: Great ride, great write up. I may be doing part of the Plymouth end soon on Drakes Trail

You’ll love the glide into Plymouth. The leaves are slippery which adds to the enjoyment.

Nice sunny but chilly day so no excuse for a ride despite a head cold although the better half decided to back out.

Wrapped myself up in This Is Cambridge and Raphas' finest attire and headed out.

Ended up on a regular route up to Welney,Ten Mile Bank and back via Littleport for just under 60km's;most enjoyable despite the cold with only the last bit from Coveney to Ely being a bit of a slog mostly due to the awful road surface.

Still good to get out on the Helium as it will probably get stripped down soon for the Di2 upgrade;new headset is all good and the longer stem seems ok as well although may adjust the bars and lever position when the upgrade is done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1933917249

Enough waffle here's some pics;

Fenland fields in the sun;
IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

Classy attire:becool: on a non-classy rider:rolleyes:

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

And bike on a bridge pics over the Ouse at Littleport

IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg
IMG_2877.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 44
Riding to work this morning
A cool, if not cold morning. seemingly...…….
(there had been a few 'white-over' cars on the lane, including mine)

I'd got to the bridge over the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal. at 'Stanley Ferry', & was taking primary to prevent the car behind trying to pass in the 30yards before the (single-track) bridge
This one, in the direction that the photographer is facing; http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1401303

I'd heard a car scrabbling for grip, but assumed it was just someone being a bit heavy-footed

Down I went, as the front wheel slid on the very crest
I just laid there for a few minutes (well, it seemed like a few), deciding that wrists/collar-bones, were still intact

The driver behind still sat in his car waiting for me to get up:rolleyes:

After a while I did, & promptly fell over again, it was sheet ice (but it is a low spot, & where the A&CN cross the River Calder, so lots of cold air

I got to the blocked side of the road, & a stream of maybe 30 vehicles came past
A brief inspection showed the damage was, apparently, limited to scuffed bar-tape, a scrape on the 'brifter', & a couple of very small holes in the jacket

Most of the lane was slippery to the end
On arrival at work, a physical inspection showed a reddened knee, & a small gouge on my right elbow

Co-incidentally, this lane was also the location of my last 2 falls (at least 5 years ago)

It was partly my fault, as after changing the chain last night, I noticed the tyres were a bit soft, so had pumped them up (to maybe 90PSI?)
Hence a smaller contact area

Oh well!!

Lucky!!!!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
(there had been a few white cars on the lane, including mine)

I'd got to the bridge over the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal. at 'Stanley Ferry', & was taking primary to prevent the car behind trying to pass in the 30yards before the (single-track) bridge
This one, in the direction that the photographer is facing; http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1401303

I'd heard a car scrabbling for grip, but assumed it was just someone being a bit heavy-footed

I just laid there for a few minutes (well, it seemed like a few), deciding that wrists/collar-bones, were still intact

After a while I did, & promptly fell over again, it was sheet ice (but it is a low spot, & where the A&CN cross the River Calder, so lots of cold air

I got to the blocked side of the road, & a stream of maybe 30 vehicles came past
A brief inspection showed the damage was, apparently, limited to scuffed bar-tape, a scrape on the 'brifter', & a couple of very small holes on the jacket

On arrival at work, a physical inspection showed a reddened knee, & a small gouge on my right elbow

Co-incidentally, this lane was also the location of my last 2 falls (at least 5 years ago)

It was partly my fault, as after changing the chain last night, I noticed the tyres were a bit soft, so had pumped them up (to maybe 90PSI?)

Oh well!!

Lucky!!!!
I'm glad it wasn't any worse for you.

We must've missed each other on the way round @Elybazza61 :laugh:

14 miles for me today, the objective to check out a walnut tree I know is growing in a hedgerow... :whistle:

Out via Downham Common and Black Bank to Littleport, and a left turn to take the A1101 to Golds Hill. At Golds Hill, it's another left turn to zip along the Hundred Foot, past the pumping station and follow the road to Pymoor. After that, it's home via the recreation ground, O Furlong and Dunkirk. The dodgy bits of road down Black Bank and at the Pymoor end of the Hundred Foot have been mended, but all they've done is dumped fresh chippings on. That aint' going to last. In fact, it's already breaking up again in places... :headshake:

Was a fabby day to be out in the :sun:, even if the wind was cold and the legs weren't exactly playing ball. Sadly, the walnut tree in question had already been stripped clean - and early, because there weren't even any husks on the ground. :cry: But at least it got me out on the bike. :smile:

Returned home to a lovely hot bowl of curried parsnip soup and a couple of rounds of bread and butter. :hungry:

(there had been a few white cars on the lane, including mine)

A brief inspection showed the damage was, apparently, limited to scuffed bar-tape, a scrape on the 'brifter', & a couple of very small holes on the jacket

Oh well!!

Lucky!!!!

A like for the ride, not for the toppling over.

Hope you ok xxx

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. It was a lot warmer than Saturday and the wind was lighter. I'd been out in the car on Saturday and the roads didn't appear to have been gritted so I reckoned I would be OK on the summer bike, though did take the precaution of taking the handbuilts off and putting a pair of cheapo wheels on instead. Just as well, as once I got up into the valley roads they were completely white with salt, despite there being no signs of there having been a frost.
I headed west up Yarrowdale to the Gordon Arms, over the Berrybush then back home down Ettickdale.

Looking back north east towards the Gordon Arms from the summit -
IMG_20181028_141909[1].jpg

The summit -

IMG_20181028_141848[1].jpg

Looking south east down the other side towards Tushielaw-

IMG_20181028_141729[1].jpg

The map -

upload_2018-10-29_18-24-49.png

43.2 miles @ 14.6 mph, 2075 feet ascent. Finally shook off the last of my cold.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A two part shopping/utility trip today - a very indirect loop into Felixstowe for a loaf and some eggs in the morning. Then, after a quick sausage bap & a mug of coffee, an even more indirect loop into Ipswich (via Kirton, Waldringfield, Martlesham and Rushmere) in the afternoon to book the car in for work under a safety recall before picking up the last in stock bottle of Halo sportswash and some beer in Sainsburys followed by the back road home.

Bright, cold & breezy, but interspersed with those light showers that don't show on rain radars.
Screenshot_2018-10-29 Garmin Connect.png

I'm glad it wasn't any worse for you.

A like for the ride, not for the toppling over.

Hope you ok xxx

Thanks
Slightly stiff/sore this morning, levering myself out of bed
'Early-turn, hence up at this time. & drinking tea

What was also (rapidly) going through my mind. as I slid, was; "please be okay, no need for an Ambo"
It'd be embarrassing to arrive at work, via a big yellow truck
On arrival, the first person I saw was Alison, one of the Paramedics I know, she spotted the scuffed jacket

I asked if she was going to have an examination of me, but she offered to refer me to one of the guys instead...… spoilsport!!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out with the knockabout bike for a couple of hours this afternoon taking my hilly route south to Longnor, Hollyhurst and Dudgley then along the edge of the Long Mynd to Smethcott, Wilderley and Pulverbatch and back via Longden, Exfords Green and over Lyth Hill.

According to the thermometer it was warmer out than yesterday but didn't feel it in the damp air after showers went through earlier. There was sunshine though so everywhere looked great. There is a road closure to deal with at Ryton but this can be walked through with the bike.

The climbs seemed a little easier today after tweaking the saddle height slightly.... to start with at least - I may have tried to push on a little faster than I should have. From Pulverbatch I stuck to the main road down to Longden which gives about three miles or so of entertaining descending before turning off this road.

25.7 miles this time at 13.3 mph average which is pretty good going on this bike and this route.

DSC0007287.jpg

Crossing the railway near All Stretton.

DSC0007289.jpg

Just past Dudgley

DSC0007292.jpg

View from near Smethcott.

DSC0007293.jpg

En route to Wilderley and about to plunge into one of the little dips on the way.

Well, my planned ride went...ok. The plan was to get from Ilfracombe to Brentor. I managed to get to Meeth, 50.81 miles, before I conked out and needed rescue. Still the 2nd longest ride I've ever done and I'm not displeased. Average was 10.5mph, also not bad. Just a smidge over 3000ft elevation, max speed 31.9mph.
My errors were several: first and greatest was just not enough riding done recently. That might have been eased if I hadn't taken a wrong turn and ended up down in Woolacombe. Which meant I had to grind UP out of Woolacombe, and it's a fair old grind. So that lost me an hour and some energy that might otherwise have got me to Okehampton or maybe even all the way.
Third: I STILL failed to take single pic. From now on, I will pack an old Sony digicam specifically.
OVERALL:
1) Verity. Very Marmite. I like Marmite. I didn't like Verity.
2) Why is cycling infrastructure so poorly signed? The Woolacombe error was because I came out of a path onto a road and found two tiny signs, each saying '27' and pointing in opposite directions...no other markings. I'd made a contribution to it just a little earlier by (I'm guessing) missing a previous choice.
3) Why is so much of NCN27, and presumably other routes, so damned rough? Ok for CX and MTB, definitely some of it bad news for a 25c shod road bike. I'll not undertake any such route again until the Norco is fitted with its Vittoria Hyper Voyager 42s.
So, I blew it, but reasonably enjoyably!
Footnote: one of the things I cordially detest about me and any outdoor activity is that my nose constantly streams. It's a lifelong thing, and says something about cycling that I'll put up with it to ride.
If i don't include pictures next time, shoot me.
PS this takes my total logged mileage to over 1000. At last!

Last edited:
Top Bottom