Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back on the bike after a bit of a sewing-induced hiatus. :blush:

Only three miles today, but the result was a whole backpack full of walnuts. :hungry:

And I was almost flattened by a numpty who seemed to think that slowing down at junctions wasn't for him... :gun:

Hoping to get some decent rides in after the weekend.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

These won't work with most garage airlines because the fitting on the air hose relies on contact with the spigot of the schrader valve to begin delivering air.

Very sorry for your loss, Dave.

Yesterday I rode the Pedal for Scotland route between Glasgow and Edinburgh partly because I couldn't be bothered coming up with a route myself, partly because I wanted to extend the range I've ridden this year and partly because of the 17mph tailwind it afforded me.

Uneventful for the most part, a fellow rider joined the road ~200 yards in front of me near Coatbridge. Target acquired! I reeled him in on the flat only for him to disappear into the distance as soon as the road climbed. This pattern repeated for about 10 miles. Never did catch him, got to a couple of bike lengths at one point but the Mavic Squeal had returned and I had no chance of catching him off-guard :rolleyes:.

The road from Plains/Caldercruix to Avonbridge is excellent, particularly with a tailwind. I had forgotten how good it was. (I'm sure it has nothing to do with it being mostly downhill.)

The climb from Avonbridge won't win any awards for toughness but had grown in my imagination in the years since I last rode it. I'd done enough damage by chasing that guy down that my legs were burning by the top. 2015 Ed would have been disgusted. 2018 Ed could manage at best wobbly disappointment.

Through Linlithgow and Kirkliston (another excellent country road), under the airport flight path and across Cramond Brig.
20181025_141239.jpg

The section after Cramond Brig is deceptive; due to embankments and trees on either side, it has the illusion of being relatively flat. I had thought from previous rides that it was maybe 1-2%, but the Garmin informed me that it is actually 6%.

Ditched the PfS route near Haymarket and moved onto the main road, and headed towards Princes Street. I had a destination and not even terrifying tram lines or oblivious road-walking tourists could stop me. Across the Waverley Bridge, into the Old Town. across 150m of cobbles and down the Royal Mile.

Stopped outside the truly hideous Scottish Parliament building to recover and then set off to do a thing I'd wanted to do for years, a timed hill climb up Queen's Drive.
DqW9vkLX4AA__-_.jpg

Curses! Foiled.
DqW_BEUX4AArrfe.jpg

Hah, screw your rules! I shall use the path and rejoin beyond the gate! VICTORY IS M-
upload_2018-10-26_6-27-55.png

Oh.

Maybe don't do it with 54 miles in the legs or spend several minutes taking a photo and peering quizzically at the gate next time, Ed.
Tried a second rep but my legs were quite unequivocal about a quarter of the way up. At least I have a low target to aim for.

All in, an enjoyable ride, but far tougher than it had any right to be - moreso with the tailwind (curse you, total lack of fitness).

60.15 miles @ 14.2mph, Elapsed 4:54:01, Moving 4:13:29, Elevation: 2,864 feet
upload_2018-10-26_6-31-15.png

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cold today. And a fairly strong breeze from the North and West. Showers were riding the wind. I headed for the lanes and just rode at a reasonable pace. The chain tended to be on the big ring (44 tooth) except on the ups at Redmarley and Woolridge. Even along the Hams with a hindering wind the chain was up there. Attempts were made by some clouds to dampen my ride but they never succeeded. I think that chill wind got through a bit tho' as I'm struggling to warm up. 47 smiles.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A couple of extended commutes this week, the extra miles welcomed after sitting in a classroom for 2 days. A break today, so after the rain and hail I did an extended pedal to Halfords to collect one of their combined Garmin/light/camera out front mounts to try with my recent Virb purchase. 10.9 miles instead of the 3 miles it would have been straight there and back.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I seem to have been saying I'm on the last ride of the summer for weeks, if not months, the weather just keeps holding up:sun:But I think yesterday it finally happened.

I was invited over to Essex to have a ride with my mate Ben, who has not been on a bike since our last ride together back on the 10th April, so we planned a gentle ride out to Maldon and back from Ben's in Brentwood.

The BBC said the weather was going to be dry but cloudy all day. That was fine by us, Ben's birthday was a few weeks ago and mine is tomorrow, so we are much more used to riding around in grim weather when celebrating the passing of another year. You can tell the world's weather's gone mad. Going for a ride at this time of year still in 1 layer, short sleeve top, finger-less gloves and not bothering with any other layers or lights would normally be considered pretty foolish, but it really wasn't. Not for the first time, and as these photos prove, the BBC got it hopelessly wrong. It was even nicer than predicted and lovely and sunny all day. I kept remarking how unbelievably nice it was for nearly November, it felt like being abroad.

I apologise now for the stack of photos that is coming, but I am still a bit disbelieving of how nice it was, so I'm recording them all here as yesterday was my new benchmark for 'great end of October cycling weather' and I can refer back to them in future years for comparison^_^

We hit the quiet country lanes immediately
FK965jt.jpg

cHf4swa.jpg

We went out through Stock, West and East Hanningfield, Bicknacre, Hazeleigh and Purleigh
F51Cm7B.jpg

upvBvaY.jpg

7sQ7S8x.jpg

2I1BJBC.jpg

JhgL4Dd.jpg

I even came across some 'street art' which tells of a bit of local history, more info shortly.....
3ef4bMd.jpg

JTRe1KI.jpg

oVtn8ta.jpg

fjTDzZE.jpg

Its so sunny my subjects are almost in silhouette, not helped by the rank amateur photographer:whistle:.
yxuLRG7.jpg

Then up to our regular Fish & Chip shop at the top of town for a refuelling, the cod was excellent, best I've had for ages. Then a bit heavier and slower we made our way back through Woodham Walter, Danbury,
2IJrrdA.jpg

Refreshments at Sandon
c6RR9Yz.jpg

Onward through Great Baddow, Galleywood, Margaretting, Handley Green. We popped in for another pint at the Viper in Mill Green and met an elderly gent who was leaving with a lovely old white Condor lo-pro, that he'd had since his time trialling days many years previous,. He said he'd done over 100,000 miles on that bike.:bravo: I hope I'm like that at his age. Then the final leg back to base. 52 amazing October miles.
Z0mAK4y.jpg

Ben's lovely wife Andrea, who was off with the kids and some friends in Brighton, had marinaded us some lovely chicken dinner for us to rustle up with minimum effort, thanks Andrea :notworthy: . It was then feet up in front of the TV with a few more beers to bask in the magnificence of our timing, the amazing weather, and definitely the last ride of summer. I'm off to look for my full-fingered gloves.

Last edited:
I seem to have been saying I'm on the last ride of the summer for weeks, if not months, the weather just keeps holding up:sun:But I think yesterday it finally happened.

I was invited over to Essex to have a ride with my mate Ben, who has not been on a bike since our last ride together back on the 10th April, so we planned a gentle ride out to Maldon and back from Ben's in Brentwood.

The BBC said the weather was going to be dry but cloudy all day. That was fine by us, Ben's birthday was a few weeks ago and mine is tomorrow, so we are much more used to riding around in grim weather when celebrating the passing of another year. You can tell the world's weather's gone mad. Going for a ride at this time of year still in 1 layer, short sleeve top, finger-less gloves and not bothering with any other layers or lights would normally be considered pretty foolish, but it really wasn't. Not for the first time, and as these photos prove, the BBC got it hopelessly wrong. It was even nicer than predicted and lovely and sunny all day. I kept remarking how unbelievably nice it was for nearly November, it felt like being abroad.

I apologise now for the stack of photos that is coming, but I am still a bit disbelieving of how nice it was, so I'm recording them all here as yesterday was my new benchmark for 'great end of October cycling weather' and I can refer back to them in future years for comparison^_^

We hit the quiet country lanes immediately
View attachment 435579
View attachment 435580
We went out through Stock, West and East Hanningfield, Bicknacre, Hazeleigh and Purleigh
View attachment 435581
View attachment 435582
View attachment 435583
View attachment 435584
View attachment 435585
I even came across some 'street art' which tells of a bit of local history, more info shortly.....
View attachment 435586
View attachment 435587
View attachment 435588
View attachment 435595
Its so sunny my subjects are almost in silhouette, not helped by the rank amateur photographer:whistle:.
View attachment 435589
Then up to our regular Fish & Chip shop at the top of town for a refuelling, the cod was excellent, best I've had for ages. Then a bit heavier and slower we made our way back through Woodham Walter, Danbury,
View attachment 435590
Refreshments at Sandon
View attachment 435591
Onward through Great Baddow, Galleywood, Margaretting, Handley Green. We popped in for another pint at the Viper in Mill Green and met an elderly gent who was leaving with a lovely old white Condor lo-pro, that he'd had since his time trialling days many years previous,. He said he'd done over 100,000 miles on that bike.:bravo: I hope I'm like that at his age. Then the final leg back to base. 52 amazing October miles.
View attachment 435592
Ben's lovely wife Andrea, who was off with the kids and some friends in Brighton, had marinaded us some lovely chicken dinner for us to rustle up with minimum effort, thanks Andrea :notworthy: . It was then feet up in front of the TV with a few more beers to bask in the magnificence of our timing, the amazing weather, and definitely the last ride of summer. I'm off to look for my full-fingered gloves.
Looks like a great ride, many happy returns for tomorrow.....:cheers:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thanks @Chris Doyle :cheers:

I'm off to Wales tomorrow until the middle of next week, so may not see the sun again for a while^_^

13 rider

Guru
[QUOTE 5423133, member: 9609"]What a change in the weather - soooo cold the day, hands were really suffering, i have some acclimatisation to do. But even on this cold miserable day the colours were an absolute joy, the camera doesn't do it justice, but some of the broadleaf tree sections were just wonderful, even seen some Red Squirrels!
The day did brighten up for the last few miles, but jeez it was cold
View attachment 435658 View attachment 435659 View attachment 435660 View attachment 435661 View attachment 435662 [/QUOTE]
Great photos that one off the long road is stunning

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a stiff, cold wind from the North. Mrs 26 and I met Steve E and Pete M in the Green. It took a bit of riding to warm up and we weren't quite ready by the time we got to Upton where John G and Rob A were waiting. The call was for the longer route to Tewkesbury so we had the benefit of a tail wind for a while. We paused to check out the Saxon Chapel built by Odda in 1056. Then we took the headwind on into Tewkesbury where a market had closed the High Street so traffic chaos reigned.

Brown's did us some lovely bowls of warming soup before we took to the White Rabbit to loop back to Upton in dampening precipitation. Just the standard run back with that cold wind mixing with a bit of rain keeping us moving to attempt to stay warm. Definitely a "fresh" outing today. The company was excellent as ever. 44 smiles

Today’s ride I shall entitle “Saga CC Derbyshire Dales-who ordered the f**king snow?”

So I reprised my role on another long overdue self proclaimed “Saga CC” ride into the aforementioned Derbyshire Dales, setting off just after 8am the initial plan was to do 73 miles but we were to deviate from the script (I’ll get on to that later.)

It was always gonna be steady and that turned out be true as we ventured through Derby and into the Dales towards Ashbourne. The sun came up around 0900 and for a while our freezing digits were given a reprieve but that was to change as we entered into open countryside and our first climbs where we got mild dustings of the white stuff for the first time this year. To say this was a curveball was an understatement- we knew it was gonna be cold and as such for the first time this 2018/19 winter season the winter togs made their debut- but the mild dustings turned into a mild blizzard which made for treacherous riding. Full credit to my mate Martin for planning the route, he got us doing all the climbing early which was quite significant as it was very lumpy indeed, there was a two mile long 7-8% climb out of kniveton and then a big one out of brassington which topped out at 13% so there was that to contend with as well as the driving snow.

Once that was done it was down into cromford near Matlock and to the Tor Cafe where we had our stop 34 miles in. Having a brew and a bite and chewing the fat/ generally griping about how cold it was, we reached the decision to divert from the original planned route and ride directly down the busy A6 straight back to Derby as it was pan flat and more direct.

And thus we did just that- chain ganging it for the majority of the way which I’m not a huge fan of but by god it kept me warm! The long and short of it was we did cromford to Allestree on the north edge of Derby in 35 minutes-13 miles!!

From there it was straight thru town where Rob and Gaz splintered off and left me Martin and Will to do the last few miles back to swarkestone. Taking the cycle routes the pace dropped off somewhat but we couldn’t have cared less at that stage.

I noticed that on the bottom edge of Derby I was on about 55 miles with approx 2 to go to the car and for a brief moment I flirted with doing a little detour to push it up to the 62/ 100km milestone but I was that cold I just sacked it off and focused on getting back to the car.

So it was just over 57 miles today in crap conditions and I was happy with that in the end.

Anyway, that’s enough s**te from me.

https://strava.app.link/0nNur1DumR
https://www.relive.cc/view/1929863289
0B0232E2-ED72-436E-9154-07E93BA34225.jpeg

Top Bottom