Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I though a ride out in the Autumn sunshine would be just the job today. I've been off the bike a whole 9 days during which lovely sunny warm days have come and gone but I had other duties. Not all of which were onerous, but even so.
So today was the day.
Out for about 9.30, winter top, wooly hat, and gloves on because despite the sunshine it was cold. I had a plan to take in some roads I have never used. It was going to be hilly.

I had to dog leg through Moortown with lots of traffic due to road works on the ring road and I made for Shadwell and East Keswick. Over Linton Bridge and a left through Sicklinghall. Even out in the sticks there was resurfacing going on and diversion signs all over the place. I think some were repositioned by 'jokers'. The end result was I went down Kearby Cliff twice:

View attachment 436424
Had I been forced to climb it twice it wouldn't have been very amusing. I did have to clamber up Moor Lane, AKA Barrowby Hill, though.

Pressing on it was along to the A61 and a short but noisy climb up to Dunkeswick Lane and North Rigton. Where there is a church St John the Evangelist:

View attachment 436426
View attachment 436427

From the far side of the church the graveyard has great views over Wharfedale. ( not that's much use to the residents mind you ).
On and up again past Almcliff Crag which often features in pics:

View attachment 436429
On through Stainburn to Leathley where I turned north off my usual roads and took a left up a small side road, Cinder lane and Pill White Lane.
Uphill and across farms and through gates and eventually meeting the top end of the climb up from Linley reservoir. (or Ree-zer-voy as a bloke I once worked with pronounced the word)
Climbing up from Leathley I had the sun on my back pretty much all the way and by the time I got to the top of Norwood Bank I was wet through with sweat.
On the fast run down towards Bland Hill and Swinsty Reservoir I got cold. Very cold. I stopped at Swinsty to get a couple of pics:

View attachment 436438

View attachment 436439
As you can see the levels are well down at Swinsty. As they are at Fewston which is just along the valley a bit:

View attachment 436442

The spilway from Fewston into Swinsty Looks like it's not going to be needed for some time yet:

View attachment 436443

View attachment 436444

I took some pics of the church in Fewston which is very pretty but no room on here to post them. I'll do it another time when I'm out that way. It crossed my mind that when the curch was built the reservoirs would not have been there. All there would have been is a valley with the River Washburn running through it.

The climb up from the reservoir to the road across the moor did nothing to warm me up, I was cold. The sun had gone in and I was still damp, wetter than an otters pocket in fact. The road to Otley didn't look all that inviting:

View attachment 436447

But having no option I plodded on and ground my way the 6 miles or so across the moor and finally dropped down the fast decent into Otley. Which made me even colder. I needed a bite to eat so grabbed something from a shop and sat in the riverside park watching the ducks.
I had cut the ride short because I was cold and so instead of making for Ilkley I took the road home.

I got in 5 hours or so after I had set off and I was bloody pleased to back. Nevertheless it was a good day out.

54 miles and 4700 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29180612

Nice ride that - plenty of "up" too.

I do like the Washburn Valley but I doubt I'll be riding up there this side of next spring!

Took advantage of the lunchtime :sun: to get out for a ride.

Rode across Downham Common and along Black Bank to Littleport, and then just did a couple of loops in and around Littleport - taking in Branch Bank, Camel Road etc before heading home the way I came.

Was pretty blustery and the wind was quite :cold: which made it hard work at times. Still, it was good to get out - think it was around 16 miles all told.

Saw three cyclists - a wee lad on a balance bike, a chap on a hybrid and an older fella on a really nice looking trike. There were some pretty cool-looking Halloween / Samhain decorations around Littleport too.

Only downside is I've chafed myself a sore in a place I'd rather not mention. :blush: Oooops...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Had a spare couple of hours this morning before having to get he car into Ipswich for the recall work, so popped out for a quick 50km loop through Falkenham, Newbourne and Waldringfield - with the view down to the River Deben...
Mill Road, Waldringfield.jpg
Then across to Martlesham and down Dobbs Lane (looking back)
Dobbs Lane, Kesggrave.jpg
and back up Monument Farm Lane in Kesgrave
Mill River, Foxhall.jpg
before heading to the outskirts of Ipswich and the run home along the old Felixstowe Road.
A beautiful bright & sunny day, but quite windy and, thanks to the southerly wind, amazingly warm.
Screenshot_2018-10-31 Just time for a quick 50km Ride Strava.png
Data.png

Nice ride that - plenty of "up" too.

I do like the Washburn Valley but I doubt I'll be riding up there this side of next spring!
I believe I've stated before, but I'd love a house overlooking Dob Park Bridge, & used (if I was in Otley) go over to the bridge, & sit there by the water

If in my days of Land Rover ownership, drive down to it, to sit there with a flask of tea, & my 'Yorkshire Post'

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Ruttland Water again today, but as a last minute choice.

I had planned to go to the museum at Donington Park before it closed down for good on Monday, and a bike had already been loaded into the car for a ride around the Melbourne, Breedon on the Hill and Calke Abbey areas afterwards. However a last minute check for opening times & costs showed that they'd already shut the web site down and that McLaren, Williams and a large number of private owners had already reclaimed their loan cars & exhibits leaving little on display and not worth the 325 mile roud trip.

Swapped the Spa Elan loaded in the car for the Voodoo Bizango this morning and headed out through some nasty conditions to Rutland where it was relatively dry, but the first (clockwise) loop was accompanied by constant drizzle, although the second (anti-clockwise) loop was dry.

Still no plan for Friday, weekend at Silverstone for the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Trophy and back to work on Monday:sad:
Rutland Water (8).JPG
Screenshot_2018-11-02 Yet another trip to Rutland Water Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2018-11-02 Yet another trip to Rutland Water Ride Strava(1).png

Last edited:

I had planned to go to the museum at Donington Park before it closed down for good on Monday, and a bike had already been loaded into the car for a ride around the Melbourne, Breedon on the Hill and Calke Abbey areas afterwards. However a last minute check for opening times & costs showed that they'd already shut the web site down and that McLaren, Williams and a large number of private owners had already reclaimed their loan cars & exhibits leaving little on display and not worth the 325 mile roud trip.

Swapped the Spa Elan loaded in the car for the Voodoo Bizango this morning and headed out through some nasty conditions to Rutland where it was relatively dry, but the first (clockwise) loop was accompanied by constant drizzle, although the second (anti-clockwise) loop was dry.

Still no plan for Friday, weekend at Silverstone for the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Trophy and back to woirk on Monday:sad:
View attachment 436629 View attachment 436631 View attachment 436630

A "like" for the ride, not for the bummer about the Donny museum... Have fun at Silverstone at the weekend though. :okay:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Once again, time for an instalment of the ICAM challenge yesterday.

It was close to a perfect November day. A little patchy rain early on, but absolutely no frost. A gentle drift from the north-west, strengthening a little in the afternoon, and as that's where the weather was brightening from it was always going to a trip to Herefordshire. I set of before 6:30am, soon escaping the Gloucester roads which were already very busy. I have a number of routes towards Hereford and it's hard to find any stretches which are completely new, but I just managed it.

The broad expanse of the Lugg valley north of Hereford has a number of quietish roads providing a good route to the wilder lands, but the overnight rain and farming activity meant I soon had a filthy bike. After Bush Bank on the Knighton road I picked a little road to Ivington, also extremely muddy, then skirting Leominster I rejoined the Knighton road through Aymestrey and Wigmore. This took me almost to the river Teme, before I turned southwards along a very pretty road through Lingen back to the Lugg near Presteigne. Lingen has a fine motte and bailey which could be worth a closer look. Reaching the river again, a little kink in the Welsh border meant I slipped into Wales for a matter of seconds.

I crossed my outward route at Kingsland, where there's yet another crossing of the Lugg - one of six on the day:

Kingsland1.JPG

Kingsland2.JPG

It's starting to look quite wintry at times. The frequent chack-chack-chack fron the fieldfares certainly reinforces the impression.

After Leominster there's a lengthy stretch of A-road, which is OK. It serves a purpose on a ride like this. I finally left it at the village of Ashperton, where this view to the Malverns appeared:

Ashperton.JPG

From there it's pretty standard stuff through Ledbury and Dymock, the early start meaning there was no issue with light, and the Cotswolds looked quite impressive in the afternoon sun.

A mildly interesting quirk is that Strava's FlyBy showed me to have crossed paths with absolutely nobody - in 119 miles. You'll struggle to find a better day at this time of year.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Bit of a virus stopped me riding earlier this week. So this was a "get back into it" ride around a the standard loop. Legs felt a bit confused to begin with but they soon remembered what was required. Temporary traffic lights getting in the way a bit today. No worries as I wasn't in a rush but I do hope the "works" are completed soon. 35 smiles in lovely sunshine.

Old jon

Guru
The weather is doing really well here just lately, yet another brisk and bright morning to leave the house and ride a bike. Wonderful!

Still cold though, so no long trip intended ‘cos I prefer to keep sort of warm. Last Wednesday I had intended to ride along Wike Ridge, an idea that was lost when the magnetic attraction of a ride to Bramhope triumphed. So, today I will do Wednesday. No silly thoughts of right turns in traffic this morning, straight along Jack Lane and Marshall Street and into the depths of Holbeck I pedalled. And left Holbeck behind as Water Lane took me to Great Wilson Street. Turn left, eventually cross the Aire on Crown Point Bridge and to the end of Regent Street ( Leeds’ version ) to start the ride up to Oakwood and beyond. Beyond being Boot Hill and Whin Moor Lane towards Shadwell.

Turn left on Main Street there, more horse feathers, and it is hard pedalling along the road to the lights at Slaid Hill. Can you tell I have been listening to Woody Guthrie? At last, turn right onto Wike Ridge Lane, a brilliant, top of the world road, with a few ups and downs, through Wike and further to East Keswick. I stopped within hearing, with good lugs, of Joe Potts’ clock, had a munch and then set off again. Up the hill out of the village towards the A 659. Turn right and ride through most of Collingham and turn right again onto the A 58. The climb of Jewitt Lane was not an attractive proposition today, somehow. So, Bardsey followed by Scarcroft with its long, long hill, back to Oakwood and the journey into Leeds centre and the snarled up shambles of more roadworks at the bottom of Eastgate. No problem on a bike of course. Recross the river on the same bridge as earlier and up the road to home after twenty seven miles. There always seems to be something to smile at, so I did.

Odd shapes made by roads . . .

02112018.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
Screenshot_20181102-153457.png
Original plan was to meet at Milngavie at 9:30 but frost rolled that back to 10.
Had to walk out my street as it never gets gritted.

Roads were fine at 10.
Headed north away from the city through Torrance and Milton of Campsie and on to Kilsyth.
Swung back towards Kirkintilloch .
Stopped for tea+ cake then through Lenzie and Auchinairn and back into Glasgow. Few miles along the canal to Maryhill and home.

My phone and Strava don't seem compatible some days , straight lines and missing bits.

But my mate clocked it at 28 miles.

Still no plan for Friday, weekend at Silverstone for the Formula Ford Walter Hayes Trophy and back to work on Monday:sad:
View attachment 436629 View attachment 436631 View attachment 436630
Lovely part of the world there, well done :okay:

Top Bottom