Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another quick afternoon ride on my Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound route.

Gloomy and cold out again but fine to be out in when wrapped up warm. Roads are a little drier than yesterday so the bike hasn't picked up quite as much mud. Only 3 or 4 other cyclists out. Traffic mostly not a problem, however I met three very large vehicles down very narrow lanes which spoiled my flow a little.

22.7 miles at 13.7 mph average. I didn't bother with photos this time due to the dull weather.

gavgav

Guru
A very short ride, after work, tonight, around Shrewsbury, notable only for the River Severn being in flood, covering the towpath in places, which meant the flood gates were correctly closed!

Oh, and a nobber who felt it necessary to overtake, squeezing past me and a parked car on the opposite side of the road, with inches to spare and then cut across the front of me, about 30 yards from a junction. Why is there always one?!

8.4 miles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A very short ride, after work, tonight, around Shrewsbury, notable only for the River Severn being in flood, covering the towpath in places, which meant the flood gates were correctly closed!

Oh, and a nobber who felt it necessary to overtake, squeezing past me and a parked car on the opposite side of the road, with inches to spare and then cut across the front of me, about 30 yards from a junction. Why is there always one?!

8.4 miles
A like for getting out. Shame about the nobber.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Last day off until the Saturday before Christmas and a couple of lightweight things still to pick up and the cards to deliver to my sister, neice & nephew, so why not take the opportunity of a long ride on a bright but cold day.

Things didn't start off too well when, after just 1.5 miles there was a clicking sound from the back wheel which turned out to be a thorn still attached to a thin twig embedded in the rear tyre - thankfully it was sealing the hole so I turned round and made it most of the way back before the tight clearance on the frame dislodged the twig leading to an almost instant deflation.

Having repaired the tube in the warmth at home, it was back into the cold and out to Marlesham Heath the long way round via Newbourne & Waldringfield
Newbourne Road.JPG
for the first Christmas shopping stop, then down to Martlesham and across to Rushmere St. Andrew where someone had set up a rather different Christmas tree (it has a solar panel on the top and it looks like some of the LEDs are inside the bottles).
Wine bottle tree.JPG

From there, another meandering route took me via Westerfield and down into Claydon where I posted my sister's cards and then carried on through to Bramford & Sproughton and into Ipswich for the next Christmas related shopping stop. A slow run through Ipswich followed thanks to the volume of traffic, with Waitrose being the next destination for some supplies for the next few days.

The final stop was at The Thrasher just round the corner from Waitrose - one of the Hungry Horse/Greene King chain - today's offer being a "Big Plate Special" for £5. Their Chicken New Yorker may not be the best quality food, but a full plate of chicken & chips was most welcome after 45 cold miles, even if it did sit a bit heavy on the stomach for the remaining 7 miles home which completed the December 50 mile ride.
50 miles.png

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
CTC Christmas Lunch (or for modernists CUK Christmas Lunch)

It's the time of year when social gatherings occur. I couldn't refuse the gathering of some old faces and some new. I rode to the Mayfly cafe for the start of the ride. Lots out - too many to list. I caught up with a lot of what has been going on and met some new friends too. Bill D was our leader and he headed us out by Monkwood. Derek picked up a thorn at Ockeridge and that took a while to fix. So no more loops as we headed for Broadwas and The Royal Oak to meet many others who hadn't joined in with the ride. Mrs 26 came by car as she has tennis-ed her elbow or something equally uncomfortable. What a crowd of cyclists! Our meal was lovely as was the beer. Graham C and I were the last to leave. Graham took his trike along the adjacent main road while I took a loop to the north before crossing the Teme and taking the Alfrick run back. Dusk was upon me so I put my lights on and did an errand whilst I was still dressed for riding. Lovely social one and a good day for mid December to be out a-pedalling. 45 smiles
We often go there for a roast. Always bang on for food.

bluenotebob

Veteran
[QUOTE 5465373, member: 9609"]another day knocking the miles out, beautiful clear skies but one shocker of a northerly wind..
day one of the week, 42 mile in the bag another 108 to do. Think these cold days just drain me.[/QUOTE]

More stunning photographs @User9609 ….. in your role as unpaid and unofficial representative of the Northumberland Tourist Board, you're doing an outstanding job. Keep the beautiful photos coming please.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today was the day for the final challenge ride of the 2018 triple challenge challenge, the metric century. As always the rides are focused around getting a few explorer squares, so a nice looking route to the Surrey Hills was planned on Strava, slightly more hilly that I'd like at 3000ft, but you can't have everything. Little did I know how off Strava's elevation data was....
After a couple of changes of clothes before getting out the door (settled on thermal bibs and jersey, glad I did in the end), it was a well paced ride through familiar territory out to Cobham and then onwards along the steady climb of Effingham Common Road, continuing to climb up Beech Avenue and Critten Lane until I reached Dogkennel Green. Then a scary decent of Whitedown Lane (as featured in the 100 Greatest Climbs), lots of wet leaves and stuff made it rather more exciting that I would like. A brief bit on the A25 before turning off up a muddy track where the CX would have been better than the Ti, all in the name of a square. Paused for the only photo stop of the day, by now I was cold and only 20 miles in:sad:
My bike and some sheep
12 Dec 2018 Sheep.jpg

And a field
12 Dec 2018 Field.jpg

Back on the A25 to Gomshall, then off through the undulating lanes to Sutton Abinger, Abinger, Friday Street and Broadmoor. I rejoined the A25 at Wotton and stayed with it through Westcott and Dorking before nipping into Betchworth for a square.
By now, after only 35 miles, I'd had enough, and reckoned all the big climbs were done so hoped for an easy run home. Ha ha....
I forgot that the ride from Betchworth up the back of Box Hill was such a sod of a hill, with a nasty kick at the end. Whilst I did get all the way up without walking it needed a break just before the top, and a few :cursing::cursing::cursing: moments to get over the top. From there it was through Headley, Leatherhead back to Cobham and home, tired, cold and hungry.
64 miles with 4200ft of climbing, so Strava was over 25% off...…

Oh, and at 40 miles my Van Nic got sick. Funny noises from the back end that I couldn't pin down at a brief stop, but nothing seems to have fallen off so it'll get a good look over tomorrow.

Nabbed another 12 squares, and upped my imperial Eddington to 48:smile:

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The forecast was wrong. The weather was actually better than advertised! Just got to grab these things. Jules was waiting as I rolled up. Newent was agreed so we took the Hillend dodge on the way south for Pendock. Neither of us had been this way for a while so it all felt fresh. We popped in at Upleadon Church which we had forgotten we'd visited once before. Senior moments for two. We remembered the little dodge into town so that no traffic was involved. Always a bonus.

We ordered some turkey based refreshments (Christmas is coming) and enjoyed our cafe stop before heading out into the tiny lane for Gorsley. The ford was pretty empty but the hill was still as steep. We then dodged through Queen's Wood for Kempley and onto the usual route by Ryton and Bromsberrow. Clouds began to roll across the sky and things were a bit gloomy so after parting I put my lights on and rolled home. Excellent outing with excellent company and excellent winter weather. 56 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Oh, and at 40 miles my Van Nic got sick. Funny noises from the back end that I couldn't pin down at a brief stop, but nothing seems to have fallen off so it'll get a good look over tomorrow.

Found it. Broken rear mudguard bridge, again. That's 2 in the time I've owned it. Maybe a plastic one this time, might last longer.

galaxy

Veteran
Today was the day for the final challenge ride of the 2018 triple challenge challenge, the metric century. As always the rides are focused around getting a few explorer squares, so a nice looking route to the Surrey Hills was planned on Strava, slightly more hilly that I'd like at 3000ft, but you can't have everything. Little did I know how off Strava's elevation data was....
After a couple of changes of clothes before getting out the door (settled on thermal bibs and jersey, glad I did in the end), it was a well paced ride through familiar territory out to Cobham and then onwards along the steady climb of Effingham Common Road, continuing to climb up Beech Avenue and Critten Lane until I reached Dogkennel Green. Then a scary decent of Whitedown Lane (as featured in the 100 Greatest Climbs), lots of wet leaves and stuff made it rather more exciting that I would like. A brief bit on the A25 before turning off up a muddy track where the CX would have been better than the Ti, all in the name of a square. Paused for the only photo stop of the day, by now I was cold and only 20 miles in:sad:
My bike and some sheep
View attachment 442344

And a field
View attachment 442345
Back on the A25 to Gomshall, then off through the undulating lanes to Sutton Abinger, Abinger, Friday Street and Broadmoor. I rejoined the A25 at Wotton and stayed with it through Westcott and Dorking before nipping into Betchworth for a square.
By now, after only 35 miles, I'd had enough, and reckoned all the big climbs were done so hoped for an easy run home. Ha ha....
I forgot that the ride from Betchworth up the back of Box Hill was such a sod of a hill, with a nasty kick at the end. Whilst I did get all the way up without walking it needed a break just before the top, and a few :cursing::cursing::cursing: moments to get over the top. From there it was through Headley, Leatherhead back to Cobham and home, tired, cold and hungry.
64 miles with 4200ft of climbing, so Strava was over 25% off...…

Nabbed another 12 squares, and upped my imperial Eddington to 48:smile:
Many times I rode from Farnborough upto Dauphin sport when it was up the top of Box Hill. Lovely cycling

colly

Re member eR
After a restless night sleep I got up early. Fed up with tossing and turning I thought a quick jaunt out on the bike would see me straight.
I think it was a mistake going out.
It was cold but dry, and the roads were clear. I went north up towards Wetherby which means a mile after setting off I have to tackle Wellington Hill. Now it's always a bit of a effort. Just under a mile up to the roundabout it's around 7% at the steepest so not massive but you know you have been climbing by the time you are at the top. Well today it seemed a huge effort. But being early, and cold, not long out of bed etc ...maybe that's just how it is.
So I plodded on Through Shadwell, and Slaid Hill, Stairfoot Lane over to Weetwood via Adel Beck and Adel,down towards Leeds across to Meanwood Road, into town and back up Roundhay Road through Harehills and the final climb back up Easterly Road.
On the stint into town on Meanwood Road I realised it was heavy going. Into a bit of a headwind so maybe that's why. Climbing through Harehills though...my God it was a push, and as for the climb up Easterly Road..............it felt more like Alp d'Huez. I'm feeling knackered I thought.
So in I get and I'm taking my gear off and I look at the HRM and my heart rate is still 144 bpm. :eek: Must be 5 mins since I got off the bike. No wonder I don't feel so good.
I've uploaded the ride etc and I find my maximum heart rate was 181 bpm on that last climb, which for me is off the scale. That was my maximum HR maybe 10 years ago.
I feel ok now but I'm thinking the restless night was telling me something.

16 miles and 1100ft of up. Fixed.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30168733

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Aye, early and cold @colly , not much better a couple of hours later.

Brrr! Cold it is this morning. OK, not silly cold, no ice, it is dry with a bit of a breeze blowing. But that breeze has freezing sharp cold edges. Still, there is a physiotherapy appointment to be kept so wheel out the fixed and start pedalling.

It’s the tail end of rush hour in Leeds. Some school traffic, including taxis. A taxi to take a child or two to school. Strange things were taxis in my schooldays, however did we manage? Anyway, the present must take precedence, I have to ride off. A totally urban ride, through Holbeck to avoid one awkward right turn, across the Aire at Crown Point Bridge and along to the end of Eastgate. Turn right. There is a shorter way, but I will happily ride further to miss any junction where I need to cross two or more lanes . . .

Reach the bike shed at the hospital and faff for a while to leave the bike and bits secure. Any warmth vanishes. Return to the bike forty five minutes later and do the reverse faff so I can ride it away. Very cold indeed, ah well, lets go home. Again the long way around with the vague idea of reaching double figures, in miles, for the morning. Nope, only 7.8 miles but they all count and I was happy to have the ride. Even happier for the warmth at home.

More detail of Leeds

13122018.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays chilly ride I wanted a nice easy pedal, so an extended route out to Aldi and back this morning saw 11 miles done. Amazing the difference a bit of sunshine makes to how warm you get, I had to remove my buff after only 3 miles as I was overheating. No such issues on the ride into Egham this afternoon, it's gotten breezy and colder, so the Tesco shop was kept short at 6 miles.
Back on the commute tomorrow, Met Office reckon -1 degree when I set out:cold:

Top Bottom