Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
26 very windy and chilly miles this morning .It didn't rain which was a plus . This ride didn't take me past 18000 miles :laugh: but kept me on target for 12000 :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
C1CB7182-AF89-42B6-BECC-674C7743F240.jpeg

Out at 10.30am with Temperature hovering around Zero. Wow my head was cold, I really should have worn something under my helmet!
I can usually deal with the cold but it was so windy, it is very rare I don’t enjoy a ride, glad I went out but good to be back.
Too cold to stop for photos so just the map.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Horrible weather, cold and windy to start, but I was under orders to collect a box from Staines, so set off on the 4 mile round trip. Somehow this got extended to 17 miles in the rain, but by the time it started proper I was nice and warm. Glad to have gotten all the challenge rides done early as the rest of the month looks horrid.
Not a patch on @Supersuperleeds or @13 rider , but if I press on a bit I might make 8000 miles this year

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
26 very windy and chilly miles this morning .It didn't rain which was a plus . This ride didn't take me past 18000 miles :laugh: but kept me on target for 12000 :smile:
25.44 very very windy and chilly miles this lunch time. It didn't rain which was a plus . This ride didn't take me past 18000 miles or 12000 :rolleyes: but kept me on target for 25.4 more miles than the start of the day ...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A swift 30 mile round trip to Durham City for me today.

Swift due to my companion Steve, who does like to press on.

We left at 9am, taking our main road route from Sunderland to avoid the ice.

The tactic worked well, although there was some patches.

Nagging headwind most of the way out, and there are some nagging climbs to be done.

But it was one of those days where the bike seemed to be running well, and I had the tyre pressures just right for free rolling and a comfy ride.

Chilly, but some warmth from the sun on the way back, which was also dealing with the icy bits.

A tail wind and a decline on the A690 back into Sunderland meant I was able to pedal (unassisted) at just over 30mph - very rapid for me.

MikeG

Guru
First club run for 4 years this morning, as I build gently back into this cycling mallarcky. Forty four miles with the slow group. Too much waiting at the top of each hill, so I'll go with the middle group next time. Just glad I remembered enough about riding in a bunch that I didn't bring anyone off their bike. Good cake.

Went with the middle group. Too far, too fast, too early in my return to cycling. 47 miles at 16+mph, with lots of hills. I did the last 13 miles alone, taking the direct route home, as I was just spoiling the ride for the others. I was fine for 25 miles, cruising along with them and fine up the hills, as usual, then some bugger let the air out of my legs...... So I'm too fast for the slow group, and too slow for the middle group. I'll just have to get faster.

The ride was notable for 2 "offs" and 3 punctures (2 in Gatorskin tyres, which broke tyre levers with their resistance to coming off the rims). Luckily, none of those incidents involved me.

Bad cake. How on earth do you mess up a simple carrot cake?

C R

Guru
Set the alarm for my usual early start, but I was feeling a bit lazy, so turned round meaning to go to sleep again, but couldn't manage, so got up.

It was meant to be cold, but clear skies, and no wind. Full winter gear, with overshoes, and nitrile gloves under my usual cycling gloves. The aim was to go towards Droitwich and turn around when I had had enough of the cold.

Out around ten past seven. Still dark, but with a hint of pink on the east, and a really bright Venus high in the sky. Temperature about three degrees, not too bad, and I wasn't feeling it much.

Down Bath Road, then City Walls Road and out of town via Foregate Street. Very unlucky with the traffic lights today, I caught most of them in red.

Up Droitwich Road, and then left for Claines, over the A449, and headed for Droitwich by the lanes that follow the canal. When I reached the turn for Copcut Elm I was feeling good, so decided to carry on the long way, through Droitwich, on past Hanbury Wharf, and then a right for Himbelton.

By now the sun was fully out, but my toes were starting to feel the cold, though they had been fine until now.

Took the left for Grafton Flyford past Himbelton, and then headed for North Piddle, Naunton Beauchamp and Seaford for Pinvin.

Crossing over the A44 there was a sign for a road closure ahead, but I managed to get to the Drakes Broughton road, so I was fine.

After Drakes Broughton it was a quick dash for Wadborough, Littleworth and down Hatfield Bank for home.

33 miles at 13 mph, which leaves me just 2 miles short of my 1500 target for the year, I should get that tomorrow on the commute. Really glad I went out, a great ride today.

Oh, and the new mudguards are amazing, not a drop splashed on my jacket or shorts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for you lot.....I’m back! :laugh:

Today’s ride I shall entitle “Six week itch”

So I did my first outdoor ride in six weeks, a club ride out to Stenson Lock near Derby. The “winter bike” made its official debut for the 2018/19 winter season as did the winter tyres. It was actually touch and go with the forecasted weather conditions as to whether or not the ride would go ahead last night but surprisingly it was not as cold or icy as expected this morning and so it did. Some of the back lanes we rode had a little frost but nothing that couldn’t be safely navigated.

The route took us west through Ashby de la Zouch and surrounding villages and then north towards Repton and Willington, the latter of which was the location of our planned stop at Mercia Marina. The cafe here was rammed with only outdoor seating and there was a 20 minute wait for the nearby hog roast, so we made a decision to press on an extra mile and a half to Stenson Lock and the much quieter cafe there.

Once we’d had our food and a good laugh watching a video going round of someone on strictly come dancing flashing a bit more than expected on last night’s show, we set off back for the return leg. Turning off near Weston on Trent to pick up the Cloud Trail back towards Coalville, the wet leaves on the path caused my bike to give way and thus me with it.....:banghead:

No harm done, we cracked on down the Cloud Trail and stopped where it crosses the Trent for the obligatory club photo. We peeled off the trail just after Tonge and I laid a demon to rest by finally getting up Cloud Hill which, two years ago, I failed! (Although I wasn’t as fit and on a hybrid).

We regrouped at the top of this climb and set off back along Top Brand back towards the clubhouse at Griffydam where we started to peel off one by one towards home.

All in all, a great ride, very steady paced given the conditions and it was great to just get back out on the road again.

Anyway, that’s enough sh*te from me.

44.8 miles in 3 hours dead.

https://strava.app.link/qMpYdAOcHS

https://www.relive.cc/view/2020020345

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays severely over egged weather Apocalypse, today looked more promising for a ride and who knows, maybe a sneaky entry in the Half Century Challenge.

Well wrapped up and out on the Giant, it was frankly blooming cold. Still, local roads took me to Barwick Road, then the long straight climb up Leeds Road into Scholes. Although the sun was out there were a lot of shadows and I'd already spotted one of two still icy patches so I was taking it steady.
Right at the Coronation Tree and up the hill, before the start of the long descent to Barwick where I really did start to feel the chill, despite having thermal bib tights, two pairs of socks, overshoes and a whopping 4 layers on the top half, along with winter gloves, a buff, etc. I even kept pedaling down the hill trying to keep warm! :laugh:

Through Barwick and more descending all the way to Cock Beck where there were more icy patches on both sides of the road and I took it steadily over the bridge as the bike wiggled in protest. Up cattle Lane and the ups and down to Aberford, again taking it very steady in places where the sun hadn't reached.

In Aberford, discretion got the better of me and I decided to turn for home. I'd managed to generate a little heat, but my feet and fingers were starting to feel the chill through all the layers and the number of icy patches had me wondering if it was only good luck that was allowing me to stay the right way up.

So, quick pause for a photo and back the way I'd come:
IMG_20181216_101320384_BURST004.jpg

Again, taking it steady in the shaded spots and significantly slower than usual on the descent down to and across the bridge over Cock Beck, then on the long drag back into Barwick, noticing that the roadside path was still frozen solid with ice. I hadn't noticed that going the other way - I might have been a bit more circumspect descending the hill if I had!
Through Barwick (again) and the long ascent, before the quick drop to Scholes, then down Leeds Road and local roads up to home.

11.22 miles (18.05 km) in a steady 53 mins at an average of 12.7 mph with just 695 ft climbed and an average temperature of just 2.0°C

So, a much shorter ride than I'd anticipated but at least I'd stayed upright. My feet were like blocks of ice when I got in and I'm happy I made the right decision with the amount of ice out there.
It's funny how things develop too - when I first started cycling again I viewed it as quite an achievement the first time I managed a round trip to Aberford - now it's a bit of a disappointment that I only got that far.

The good news is that todays truncated ride saw me pass 1,500 total miles on the Giant which I'm quite pleased about in under a year for the 'winter' bike. I'm also now less than 60 miles short of my annual target of 2,500 miles though, so fingers crossed.

And to end, the map:
16122019.JPG

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Set off on a little ride at just after 04:00am today (Sunday). Despite the forecasted temps saying 6-8’c and dry, it averaged out at 2’c and chucked it down for the last 2 hours. Managed to get Grandma-has-been-in-the-bath-too-long-hands. A proud accomplishment. 109 Strava achievements, so I must have been feeling the love for his route. Cracking, massive breakfast and two mugs of coffee for £6. Lots of moths about and a barn owl, but otherwise without anything really worth mentioning. Otherwise it’ll be a bit like other people’s holiday snaps.

Cartography
A5123488-BA2D-4BF5-8384-FB3070A74B89.jpeg

Glastonbury
31DEA8A5-EE87-477A-8AB3-D288E1543A88.jpeg

Elves and faeries sitting in a leylandii
8DB6FC6D-E56E-40C7-9E13-690FA4E61FA5.jpeg

Somerset Levels with Glasto Tor on the horizon
847CD684-1D1C-4962-9E8C-C6721A2F6D88.jpeg

Someone at Audax Club Bristol has stuck a picture up in the Wetherspoons
4E52E1B2-5633-436C-ADFF-21679913415D.jpeg
The seaside from behind the protection of some Perspex.

6FC8FCFE-CA3A-42B2-8E1D-6B15B8C70BA1.jpeg

How I really got round today. In Doctor Who’s khazi.
877E7003-67BF-4A3D-B9AE-F672D7F31C94.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom