Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Misty this morning so I headed for the higher ground away from the mist filled valley. The temperature was a tad chilly but the wind was light so a bit of work soon warmed me up. Out around the lanes by Alfrick Pound with it's ups soon had me warm. More warmth was generated climbing easily through Suckley. The mist had gone as I viewed the Ankerdine hills ahead. My route took me up "mini Ankerdine" in the lanes and on to Martley. Now the dodge was by Ockeridge and Moseley for Wichenford and the run back by Cobbler's Corner and Bransford Bridge. I was certainly warm enough on this ride despite the rather steady pace. 43 smiles

Nothing.. Can't see anything, it brings me to the page of your club in Strava.

80 miles around here translates very easy to 6 hours on the bike heat and looooong steady climbs are why.
Hmm that’s strange, they seem to work for me?

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
A trip to a nearby town and back...

Yunquera.

48417677_1928289047266506_9000310363421409280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Same spot as pic before but looking back

48392594_1928289040599840_6809946204319776768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

The sign says: Mountain road (15 km climb) Best road around here.

48381402_1928288747266536_8817179477680324608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Strava says: https://www.strava.com/activities/2023128289

Old jon

Guru
Twenty nine damp and breezy miles this morning. The phone insisted there would be some rain about, and it was right. I had wondered about my motivation recently but I reckon this morning demonstrated enough of that.

Holbeck, on the way to Hunslet and the ride up to John o’ Gaunts. Proper breezy from roughly the average direction, south west or thereabouts, it became very noticeable just before the end of Black Bull Street, and by time I reached the top of the hill and the former pub at John o’ Gaunts it really was blowing. So was I. The gentle pedal along Holmesly Road and the descent past Woodlesford Station gave the legs some recovery time, all to the good really. Bottom of the hill turn left and cross the Aire and Calder Canal and then the Aire itself before starting the uphill bit into and through Swillington. Not steep but by ‘eck it goes on a long way.

Shall I, shan’t I? Garforth Cliff was the question and ‘I shall’ was the answer, so I turned right at the roundabout and rode through that bit of Garforth that lines the A 63. And pedalled threequarters of the way up the cliff. Better legs next time I hope. Things, and the road, level out after this. The wind was chucking rain at the right side of my face, keep on riding to Peckfield Bar and turn left onto the A 656 and the wind was no longer so cold. There is a right turn to Micklefield along here and I took that, turned left in the village to head to Aberford. This road rises gently but the wind was being kind. Cross the B 1217 instead of turning right, it is a shorter way to Aberford, and turn left on Cattle Lane to ride towards Barwick. Ups and downs and surface water, deep joy.

On to Scholes, again a village that is built mostly below the crest of a hill, more accurately a bridge that once crossed a railway line. A short stretch of A 64 leads to Thorner Lane, which in turn crosses the end of Skeltons Lane. The wind could have been a hindrance along here and Red Hall Lane, but it might have dropped a bit, or something. No matter, turn left onto the A 58 and that wonderful whizz down Boot Hill starts just along the road. And that, after park gates and Oakwood Clock, takes me around Leeds centre, across the river and up that last stretch to home. A pretty good ride, good enough to grin at the end.

The red line on the map looks familiar,

18122018.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
strava8388507249426486129.jpg
My lovely wife asked me to go to Johnstone to pick up a small item she bought nline.
Can't refuse a nice run.

Down the Kelvin, over the Clyde.
Out Paisley road west to Paisley then on to route 7/75 for the last 4 miles to Johnstone. That bit is excellent. Wide and well maintained.
Only saw one other cyclist on it on the way out around 3:30, and just 2 on the way back.
Back on to the roads at Paisley on the way home.
Slight diversion on the way home , really bad looking crash , bus and a couple of cars.

I didn't come up the Kelvin path on the way home, preferred to cope with the west end traffic in the dark.
Really mild evening , so it was an enjoyable 32 miles

colly

Re member eR
[QUOTE 5474414, member: 9609"]
why on earth do I enjoy riding along in the dark on a cold wet night is completely beyond me ?[/QUOTE]

Because you're worth it !

Old jon

Guru
First, thank you @ianrauk for the advice about woollen gloves. Cured my cold hands good and proper!

An excursion on the fixed this morning. Early ( sort of ) too, so there was traffic to deal with as well as riding the bike. All went well.

Becket Street was reached via Holbeck ‘cos there is no other way and along Regent Street to what was Skinner Lane. The Skinner’s Arms has long gone, and while the building is still there the Cherry Tree pub has also vanished. Anyway, up to the Oakwood Clock and then turn left to climb some more and pass ( eventually ) the posh park gates. Street Lane to Harrogate Road, cross the Ring Road and turn left onto Alwoodley Lane. At the end of this, turn right onto King Lane and escape the houses for a while. Mind, the last few miles it is garden walls and hedges you see from bike height.

Still a stiff climb from the dam up to the church at Adel, eventually a right turn appears to reach the Otley Road, or more accurately the A 660. Down the hill to Headingley and then down yet another hill to Kirkstall. This last had the legs spinning well, all sorts of different exercise comes with fixed wheel . . .

From Kirkstall, the canal towpath is well surfaced all the way to Office Lock, but there is still rather a lot of leaf fall to be wary of. Few pedestrians around, a couple on what looked like electric bikes, easy riding all the way. A bit different on the road leading to Water Lane, a totally absorbed person walked half way across the junction before waking up and realising traffic was around. No collision. All that is left is that corner of Hunslet that leads to the area I live in. The last bit of rising road is always a stretch, a few turns and into sight of home and there is the front door. Smile time, a bit over twenty one miles ridden, brilliant.

Map for a short route,

19122018.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B and Jules H were in the meet spot as I rolled up just on time. The plan was a steady one around Bredon Hill. Sunshine and light clouds meant a lovely day ahead. Through the school took us to Tewkesbury. Jules likes the dodge by Kemerton but we were chatting so I missed the thatched owls. It seemed to be fairly early arrival at the Silk Centre for our cafe stop. The Worcester Saint John's peloton were already installed so I chatted with Sara P and Martin S as we waited for our orders to be fulfilled. Our hostess was very busy but efficient.

Jules was hoping for some Red Kite sightings as we headed by Aston under Hill but none materialised. Steadily we rode Kersoe bank although John's superior climbing skills were evident. The Avon wasn't particularly high after all yesterday's rain so over we went at Eckington. Jules peeled off for home at Ryall while John and I rode the Brotheridge route back. Mrs 26 came the other way in the car as she is heading off for a few days. At Hanley Swan we saw Derek B. ride towards Hanley Castle. He didn't spot us unfortunately. Excellent ride out in lovely winter weather today. 52 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Been a bit frustrated as either the weather or other things that needed doing have kept me of the bike the last few days. Today though I took the opportunity and headed over familiar roads to Condover, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Uffington, round Shrewsbury and back home.

After all the rain yesterday the roads were quite wet still so the bike has finished rather mucky. The ride was mostly uneventful with the exceptions being getting hooted at by an Audi driver just for existing (there were only us two on the flipping road at the time so you weren't held up in any way :dry:) and finding Sydney Avenue unexpectedly closed (tree felling so I waited patiently for them to allow me through)

31.2 miles at 12.8 mph average this time.

DSC0007301.jpg

Traditional hedgelaying underway on the Attingham estate.

DSC0007304.jpg

Said hello to this chap but the answer was rather wooden. :whistle:

DSC0007305.jpg

A bit of tree cutting taking place on Sydney Avenue

DSC0007306.jpg

The river is quite full down at the weir. When the rainfall from yesterday works its way downstream from Wales we might be in for a bit of flooding.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice solo ride today. The sun was out for most of the ride, After i got through Epping the traffic in the country lanes was minimal, No angry motorist's today, unlike Monday. Non stop 79 miles, was feeling it a bit in the legs for the last 15 miles, Just great weather for this time of year. 92 miles to go to reach my goal,:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2025159143/segments/51057451457

Last edited:
Top Bottom