Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
So I had something bad followed by something good happen while out on my ride today.

I had to pick up some final presents for my wife today. I decided to take a long route to complete the half metric challenge. About half way around my route, I’m in a village called Creswell heading toward Clowne. The driver of a class A Vauxhall Zafira pulls up to a T junction while I’m on the main road about to pass in front of her. She looked straight at me. And.... you got it! She pulled out nearly hitting me. Fortunately, my spidey-sense was tingling and I slammed the brakes on avoiding the near side corner/wing of the car. I was not a happy bunny. When I look up I see a police car coming the other way and pass by. Next thing I know, the police car has turned around and is overtaking me at speed. I continue on my way.

Five minutes later, the police car comes back towards me, flashes his lights and pulls over at the side of me. The officer tells me they saw what the driver of the Zafira did, they have dealt with the issue and that they just wanted me to know. I thanked them and we went in our mutual ways.

I don’t know what ‘dealt with the issue’ means, but I am happy something rather than nothing was the result. Even a talking to might make the driver more aware and stop her from injuring a cyclist in the future.

I carried on with my ride (with several close passes along the way) and picked up the last of my wife’s presents before heading home with a very heavy rucksack.

51.9 eventful kilometres.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Best laid plans and all that. I mapped out a 57 mile route last night, planning an early start this morning. Got out of bed late, so did some plumbing instead:laugh: Pipes suitably bent, I headed out on a 30 mile loop to Lightwater and back through Windsor Great Park. Nice weather, and I was over-dressed. All good apart from needing the magic pills 5 miles from home which is, quite literally, a PITA.
Oh, spotted a couple of a Hase Pino in WGP, don't see many of those.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M turned out and off we went into a bit of a strong breeze coming up from the south. The blue skies and sunshine were as per last night's forecast. I'd lopped some miles off by taking a more direct but exposed route to Camer's Green. By the time we got into the shelter of the hedges and hills at Redmarley we'd had enough of that windy hindrance. We took to the tiny narrow lanes from The Scarr to Gorsely where I managed to navigate the difficult triangle to pop out at Aston Crews. Rain had rolled in (not in the forecast) and we were getting quite damp as we dodged around Pontshill. We were glad to get into the cafe in Ross. Our lady hosts sat us by the radiator so that the worst of our damp clothing would get a dry out.

Thankfully the rain had stopped as we headed out by Brampton Abbots to avoid the fast and dangerous run out of town on the dual carriageway. Then comes the 3 steep little climbs as we headed for Kempley. With those conquered we were making good progress with the assistance of that breeze. Our route was quite traditional now as the gathering gloom prompted my lights to go on. The rain was trying a little but not succeeding as we rolled back after a ride of two parts. A fairly hard ride out and a fairly easy one back. 57 smiles

C R

Guru
It was bright and sunny all morning, so decided to go for my 10 mile loop around Littleworth, Wadborough and Pirton. A bit of an annoying wind on the way out, but quite mild, shorts would've been enough.

By the time I got home the clouds were closing in, I had timed my outing right.

10.8 miles at 14.5 mph, I'll blame the wind for the reduced speed :whistle:.

theloafer

Legendary Member
I have tried loads of times to cycle the transporter bridge ..so today suggested we try ,been mid week (w/ends its used for bungee jumpers) so closed .... parked at the tees barrage rode up to and crossed thornaby bridge, and down to the other side all the way to the transporter bridge which was closed for lunch :stop: so popped into Middlesbrough for coffee and food
back at 1 o clock rode over .then straight back :laugh: . then the guy saw me looking up and said there was a tour just about to start, and we could join and get to walk across top :hyper: views were good and not as :cold: as I thought great days ride :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2026796239

WP_20181220_006.jpg

that's the old tuxedo princess Middlesbrough football ground and Roseberry topping in the distance
WP_20181220_002.jpg

WP_20181220_010.jpg

WP_20181220_015.jpg

WP_20181220_009.jpg

larry.jpg

bridge ride.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 5477450, member: 9609"]Got a 35 in that gives me 147mile for the week - rest day saturday ^_^

bit of a strange day out though, seemed to be a big shoot and clay competition on where I was, 2 gun shots every 15 seconds gets a bit irratating after a while, then every other field had crow scarers running, so lots and lots of loud explosions, then there was occasional low flying jets heading into the cheviots - peaceful and quaint north northumberland had the ambiance of a war zone.

then I stopped in woler for my piece (lunch to you southerners) and as I was sat on this wall an old 4x4 truck thing drove past very slowly with the passenger window wound down and this fat old red faced bloke was screaming abuse at me (i think it was abuse, couldn't make out any of the words)(and I think it was aimed at me as no one else was around?) he looked like he was going to have some massive coronary, he then turn round and drove up the road sticking his fingers up at me :wacko: - I just sat there stunned with bewilderment - full moon is not till tomorrow.

anyway, this cheered me up - very different but impressive all the same - think its a simmental?
View attachment 443403 [/QUOTE]
A like for the ride and the sight that cheered you up, not the abuse. There are some bizarre people out there.:blink:

gavgav

Guru
After what seems like weeks of incessant rain, I woke to a sunny and mild morning, so headed out for a short ride before Football.

Started out through the estate and along Rowton Rd, where I intended to join the old railway path. Arrived at the gateway to it, only to find police tape across the gate and a policemen stood guarding things. Not sure what’s gone on, but something unsavoury for sure.

So I doubled back and walked the bike through a gap in the hedge, out onto Oteley Rd and then towards Betton Abbots. The short section on the A458 was vile, with a ridiculous fast close pass from a knob in a Mitsubishi Shogun and then a BMW who zoomed past doing what must have been getting towards 100mph, just as I was contemplating getting ready to turn right. Driving always seems to be even worse, at this time of the year. Getting one’s Turkey is obviously more important than the safety of those on the road :wacko:

I continued towards Chilton Farm and up the short sharp climb I could see a lady pushing her bike up the hill. We had a friendly exchange, as I reached her, when she apologised for walking up the hill! I reassured here that she was getting out on the bike and that was the main thing.

There was plenty of water about, on both the roads and in the River Severn, as I reached Atcham, after the torrential rain yesterday evening.

I crossed the old bridge and up the rat run to Berwick Wharf, another prat, in a Polo, along here, who squeezed between me and a car coming the other way.

I took the Pelham Rd to Upton Magna and then down to Uffington, before taking the old canal path (horrid slippy muddy layer of mulch along it) to the end of the “tarmac” section. Up to Sundorne Rd and along the cycle paths back to Sutton Farm, where the final close pass of the ride came from a Peugeot Boxer van.

Despite the idiots, a pleasant morning, 15.7 miles at 11.5mph avg.

Levo-Lon

Guru
IMG_20181222_131701.jpg
IMG_20181222_131658.jpg

Windy too
IMG_20181222_133028.jpg
IMG_20181222_132806.jpg
IMG_20181222_133803.jpg
IMG_20181222_133757.jpg
IMG_20181222_141001.jpg
IMG_20181222_140951.jpg

Ffs took me ages to find this thread!!

Super nice day for a muddy one.
Not done this loop for ages due to work and whatever.
For the locals it's Werrington Marham Castor ferry meadows mostly bridal ways and muddy narrow tracks.
Very windy around Fitzwilliam Estates.
But a lovely 17 muddy miles on my Trek powerfly5.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E and me in the green. Pete M, Jules H, John G, Rich B, Margaret PR and hubby Graham R at the Pot. Christmas ride was the plan. So off through the school and round to the cafe at The Mythe for our first stop and a cup of coffee. June P was there with her Cheltenham friends. So sad that Ralph has left her to be with the cycle rides above. Then off around past The White Rabbit for The Three Kings at Hanley Castle for a lovely pint by a roaring fire. Suitably fueled it wasn't far to The Swan at Hanley Swan for more pints and some food. Mark L turned up to say "Hi" and "Happy Christmas". Just a little ride back from there for me with Pete and Rich for a sobering cup of coffee. Today wasn't about the bike. 32 smiles

13 rider

Guru
At big sisters for Xmas lunch this year my contribution is supplying the turkey which was ordered from Nice Pie Leicester CCers favourite cafe today was collection day so a ride in order to meet big sis for breakfast . Out the door at 0830 for a few early miles . Up the wreake valley and over into the rolling terrain around Gaddesby and up Saxelbye hill . Coming out of Wartnaby turning left onto the main road I spotted a group of 3 riders heading towards me . They soon caught me a quick acceleration and Im on their wheel coasting at 23mph :rolleyes: had a nice tow for half a mile . Just before Nice Pie there is a slight incline so I went on the front put in a big effort then turned into the cafe not sure the 2 riders who got dropped appreciated in :laugh:.30 miles in the bag already , Met at the door of the cafe by Santa . Apparently there are delivery issues with my new bike, something about it not fitting down the chimney so I will have to settle for socks again :sad:. Very busy due to Santa's presence so a long breakfast break . Turkey purchased and placed into big sisters car as it wouldn't fit in Jersey pocket :laugh: . Rolled out for another 30 odd miles to complete a metric century . Headed out to East Leake ,Stanford on Soar ,Barrow and home . 62.3 miles done in lovely conditions the sun even had some warmth in it . On posting on Strava found out I'd missed @Supersuperleeds at Nice Pie by 20 mins him which was a shame he could have bought me a coffee :okay:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
My phone told me it was raining this morning. My eyesight, when I looked out of the window, had a different answer. I suppose my eyes have had more practice than the phone, but anyway, I rode off.

Gears today ‘cos there were some bits of uphill in my planned route. Not difficult around here, the only ways out of Leeds feature increasing elevation. This is not a problem as it makes going home easier, just when I am feeling cream crackered. Although there are some uphills no matter which direction you pedal.

Meander around Holbeck, leave by way of Water Lane and onto Great Wilson Street. One day I might find out who he was. Cross the Aire on Crown Point Bridge and follow the usual roads up to Oakwood. It was quiet, not the expected mad crowds going shopping scene. Surely the weather had not put folk off? After passing the spare park gates I enjoyed the slog up Boot Hill, and enjoyed even more the level ( almost ) road after the top was reached. Turn left for the road to Shadwell, a bit more easy pedalling, and then turn left for Slaid Hill. It does seem a long while since I rode along Wike Ridge Lane, just checked, second of November. It really is an enjoyable road. Edited for wrong direction to Slaid Hill.

And then comes East Keswick. Cross the beck, the road leads left and starts climbing. Only gently at first, then you reach the house with the Pott’s clock where you would expect a bedroom window and the road takes off. It is steep enough for me that far into a ride. Reach the A 659 and turn right, towards Collingham. When I reached there, it was busy. Well, if a queue of half a dozen cars qualifies that is. Take the A 58 in the direction of Leeds, and the fair climb through Scarcroft. Just for a change, along the road that approached it, I decided to ride along Coal Road for once. Right onto Red Hall Lane took me back to the A 58 and back home via a couple of descents and through a bit more traffic than the outward journey. Back across the river, a zig and a zag or two and home is in sight. A little over 27 miles and forty feet more than 1200 feet of climbing. The grin still there though.

Zags and zigs on the map

22122018.jpg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
At big sisters for Xmas lunch this year my contribution is supplying the turkey which was ordered from Nice Pie Leicester CCers favourite cafe today was collection day so a ride in order to meet big sis for breakfast . Out the door at 0830 for a few early miles . Up the wreake valley and over into the rolling terrain around Gaddesby and up Saxelbye hill . Coming out of Wartnaby turning left onto the main road I spotted a group of 3 riders heading towards me . They soon caught me a quick acceleration and I on their wheel coasting at 23mph :rolleyes: had a nice tow for half a mile . Just before Nice Pie there is a slight incline so I went on the front put in a big effort then turned into the cafe not sure the 2 riders who got dropped appreciated in :laugh:.30 miles in the bag already , Met at the door of the cafe by Santa . Apparently there are delivery issues with my new bike, something about it not fitting down the chimney so I will have to settle for socks again :sad:. Very busy due to Santa's presence so a long breakfast break . Turkey purchased and placed into big sisters car as it wouldn't fit in Jersey pocket :laugh: . Rolled out for another 30 odd miles to complete a metric century . Headed out to East Leake ,Stanford on Soar ,Barrow and home . 62.3 miles done in lovely conditions the sun even had some warmth in it . On posting on Strava found out I'd missed @Supersuperleeds at Nice Pie by 20 mins him which was a shame he could have bought me a coffee :okay:

I'll buy you a coffee on Thursday :cuppa:

Top Bottom