Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a short one today.

The weather forecast was for rain this morning, better this afternoon.
We did a few running around jobs this morning, then a pastie for lunch, then I had time to go and play.

Down from the in laws house in Train Road and pop out by the Odd Wheel pub. Up and down Mewstone Avenue, past THE most tacky, over blown garden Christmas display ever, then down to the end of the beach/church drive.
I’ve not done the west Wembury climb before, and today was the day.

Around a sharp bend, 12%, then solid 17-18% for a good 500 yds. At one point Mr Parcel Force van was coming down... despite him being busy he stopped for me! Up and up to Langdon Court and then the turn to Wembury point.

Last time I rode here it was nice and sunny...

A7066940-6BB8-4131-88D3-2A85CD9F6EDB.jpeg

The tide is out, but at this point the tide started to fall from the sky! Luckily it wasn’t cold.
4255F198-A937-4633-B300-C5AD70E163EB.jpeg

Then down into Heybrook Bay. Another steeeep climb. At the top it was peeing down. I’d envisaged a longer ride, but I decided to call it quits.

Only 7.5 miles, but more up in that one than a 70 mile Cambridgeshire ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2033330114

Last edited:
Lovely ride under blue skies but socks were a bit on thin side and needed to warm feet when back.

Top tip: next time, try wearing shoes as well. It makes a load of difference.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good ride this morning. 4 of us set of for a 60 mile loop. Ended up a bit short, but none the less a really nice ride. one of the guys bailed out at Hertford, but he had just done a 12 hour shift. the three of us pushed on, quiet roads, the temperature started to rise after a chilly start, Another guy bailed out at the pub, so that left 2 of us to enjoy a couple of beers, We where joined a while later by my other half. Still need to get 3 miles in to complete my yearly goal.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2033078120

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a quick spin on the short version of my Acton Burnell loop to stretch the legs this afternoon.

It was already getting on towards sunset when I set out so lights were on from the off. Quite busy on the main road to Condover on the way out.

I'd started off in fingerless gloves but once out into the countryside it got too cold for those very quickly. Not much traffic on the roads once I got past Longnor but there were plenty of people out having a pre-Christmas perambulation.

I thought there might have been a good sunset but it just faded away without much spectacle this time. Lots of low lying mist across the fields making them look like something out of a Hammer movie in places.:laugh:

The A49 had quietened down a bit by the time I got back to it which made for nicer riding, then in the village I got overtaken by a Land Rover that must have been doing 45 in the 30 limit - I passed them again parked up at the shops - obviously in a rush to get there before they shut.:whistle:

17.1 miles at 14.9 mph average - fairly quick for me on a winter ride.^_^

PC240232.JPG

Just the one pic this time: misty round the Stretton hills as the sun sets (out of shot to the right).

gavgav

Guru
My Annual (weather permitting) Christmas Eve ride, including visits to the Crem and 2* churches, to remember my Mum and Nan’s & Grandad’s at this time of year.

I woke to thick fog, but that cleared by 11am, to glorious sunny skies, if a little chilly, so needed full winter layers.

Began by heading through the estates, to the Crem, spending 10 minutes at my Nan and Grandad’s plaque, then heading out of Shrewsbury, to Bicton, where I called at the church, to remember my other Nan and Grandad, at their grave.

Continued on to Monford Bridge and Great Ness, along the very wet lanes, and they were heaving with traffic, unlike normal.

Crossed the old A5 and then onto Pentre, where the River Severn was well out of its banks and almost up to the road, thankfully not quite onto it!

I ran back into fog, at Melverley, where I paused at the church, for some lunch, but it was bitterly cold, in the fog and so I didn’t hang around long. I crossed the old bridge, into Wales, where I could see the water looking very high, but no point in photos due to the thick fog. Out onto the main road, at Crew Green, where I thankfully ran out of the fog again, just past Coedway, and warmed up a bit.

Turned off at Princes Oak and began the slog of a climb up, before descending to Halfway House, where I remarkably was able to cross the A458 without having to wait at all. Didn’t expect that today, especially with how busy all the other roads were.

At Westbury I turned onto the main road to Nox and Yockleton, which unfortunately was a very unpleasant few miles, due to the appalling standard of driving. A couple of close passes and some ridiculous speeding drivers, 2 of which were overtaking other cars, coming towards me, over double white lines. Probably finished work at lunchtime and been on the sauce!!

I was glad to turn off onto the Lea Cross road, and then, thankfully, easily crossed the nasty junction, climbing up to Arscott, then Exfords Green and arrived at Dad’s house. I’d timed it just right, which was the aim, to meet my Brother and his Girlfriend, who were also calling, for us to take a plant over to the church and spend a few minutes at Mum’s grave.

Had about an hour with them and Dad and then couldn’t believe how cold it had gone, with the bike and my phone (in its case) covered in a layer of damp, as I set off back towards home.

I had a bit of a wait to cross the A49, then proceeded through Ryton, out onto the Condover road, where a prat in a Golf decided it was ok to squeeze past me on the narrowest section. If he’d waited 5 seconds there is a nice wide section by the Quarry :wacko:

It was a very cold final few miles, back to Betton Abbots and then home.

A mostly enjoyable ride, but the traffic was too plentiful, even on what are normally quiet lanes, for my liking.

42.2 miles at 11.7mph avg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a bit of a lay in I shoved the turkey in the oven, left Mrs CB with instructions and headed out towards Chobham. Nice quiet roads today and my route ambled from Chobham to Sunningdale before coming back through the park, where both sets of gates at deer park were broken, so I squeezed through the pedestrian gate. Last time the gates were broken I was on the trike so had to go the longer way round.
Arrived home after 33.7 miles with time to walk dogs, then turkey out, gammon in, instructions left with Mrs CB (again!) before pedalling into town with mini-CB to get a few last minute bits, coming home via Halfords for a bargain Topeak rack bag and Thorpe to drop in the final Christmas card, adding another 6.7 miles.
Remainder of day spent making mince pies and quiche.
More cooking tomorrow apparently, though I plan to sneak out on the bike first:smile:

C R

Guru
Forecast was good for today, so decided to skip the rain yesterday and go out this morning instead.

Out at twenty to seven, well wrapped up as it was about 3C, and still completely dark. Plan was to go around Bredon Hill, so out past St Peters Garden Centre, up Hatfield Bank, Stonehall Common, Pirton and past Croome heading for Defford. There are no lights in this route, and I hadn't done it in the dark before, so it was a bit strange.

After Defford was a right for Eckington, over the humpback bridge. I wasn't sure at this point if I should cut the ride short via the Combertons, but by the time I reached the turn I was feeling good, so carried on towards Bredon.

By the time I reached the turn for Wesmancote daylight was finally breaking over the hill

IMG_20181224_074000132.jpg

From here there's a gradual climb until past Kemerton, and then a descent to Beckford.

About half a mile before Beckford the rear wheel felt strange, and sure enough, I had a flat. Stopped, took the wheel out and fixed the puncture. Spent some time looking for the culprit in the tire, but couldn't find anything. A couple of cyclists stopped to ask if I needed help, nice to know that there are helpful people around.

On the way again, towards Ashton under the Hill, but after a couple of miles the rear tire was flat again, grrr. Wheel off, tube out, and this time the hole was on the other side of the valve, mirror image position to the previous one. Of course when I checked before I looked on the wrong side of the valve! I now checked in the right place and found the culprit, a very sharp and thin sliver of gravel embedded in the tire.
Tube fixed, tire cleaned and back on the road.

Up Ashton, to Elmley Castle, and then a swift descent into Pershore. From there Rebecca Road to Wadborough, then Littleworth, and down Norton for home.

The map

IMG_20181224_192741.jpg

Another metric half in the bag. Total for the year stands at just under 1550 miles.

Good ride, would have been great if it wasn't for the flats.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Forecast was good for today, so decided to skip the rain yesterday and go out this morning instead.

Out at twenty to seven, well wrapped up as it was about 3C, and still completely dark. Plan was to go around Bredon Hill, so out past St Peters Garden Centre, up Hatfield Bank, Stonehall Common, Pirton and past Croome heading for Defford. There are no lights in this route, and I hadn't done it in the dark before, so it was a bit strange.

After Defford was a right for Eckington, over the humpback bridge. I wasn't sure at this point if I should cut the ride short via the Combertons, but by the time I reached the turn I was feeling good, so carried on towards Bredon.

By the time I reached the turn for Wesmancote daylight was finally breaking over the hill

View attachment 443767

From here there's a gradual climb until past Kemerton, and then a descent to Beckford.

About half a mile before Beckford the rear wheel felt strange, and sure enough, I had a flat. Stopped, took the wheel out and fixed the puncture. Spent some time looking for the culprit in the tire, but couldn't find anything. A couple of cyclists stopped to ask if I needed help, nice to know that there are helpful people around.

On the way again, towards Ashton under the Hill, but after a couple of miles the rear tire was flat again, grrr. Wheel off, tube out, and this time the hole was on the other side of the valve, mirror image position to the previous one. Of course when I checked before I looked on the wrong side of the valve! I now checked in the right place and found the culprit, a very sharp and thin sliver of gravel embedded in the tire.
Tube fixed, tire cleaned and back on the road.

Up Ashton, to Elmley Castle, and then a swift descent into Pershore. From there Rebecca Road to Wadborough, then Littleworth, and down Norton for home.

The map

View attachment 443768

Another metric half in the bag. Total for the year stands at just under 1550 miles.

Good ride, would have been great if it wasn't for the flats.
Which app do you use? I don’t recognise the UI.

C R

Guru
I like them too: they are pretty accurate for Germany. My only beef is that they aren't so hot in Japan and they're now sponsored by Under A*m*r which is definitely of the dark side.
I only use the free version, so they don't make any money from me. I did consider paying for the premium version, but the association with under armour put paid to that.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Map my ride. I tried strava, but found it overcomplicated for my needs. Map my ride does all I need with no fuss.

I like them too: they are pretty accurate for Germany. My only beef is that they aren't so hot in Japan and they're now sponsored by Under A*m*r which is definitely of the dark side.

I only use the free version, so they don't make any money from me. I did consider paying for the premium version, but the asdocassoci with under armour put paid to that.

Yes, I remember checking MapMyRide out about 18 months ago and the sponsored by Under Armor bit put me off using it too.

Top Bottom