Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A planned 12 miles ride turned into nearly 32 miles this morning. A fast (by my standards) ride out through Wraysbury, past my wife's old house, extending the ride by little bits at each junction. Came back via Eton and up Crimp Hill, passing the regular ICE triker slowly winching his way up. Not a hill I've tried on the trike yet myself. Rode around the park today as it was heaving with the usual Boxing Day walkers.
Quite a few small groups of riders out today, and mild enough for a Summer jersey/shorts with arm/leg warmers.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Nice 16 mile ride with mrs lon
Perfect today still , dry and about 7°c.
Strava not working Again so no ride log.
Lunch and cake consumed,quick bike clean..feet up and some Boxing day tv.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
This is from yesterday, but I was otherwise engaged and couldn't write it up then. I've mentioned recently how much I love riding in London on Christmas Day, because its the ONLY day of the year where there is no buses, and mostly no taxi's. There were minicabs and the odd open topped tourist bus, but the entire Transport for London network shut down, and most people are indoors overindulging. The air is as fresh as we can ever hope to get in London, which is still probably awful compared to the rest of the country, but its noticeably nicer than normal.

I really like the contrast between parts of London that are normally heaving with traffic and people, and the eerie quality these same places feel on the one day of the year when you take most of the traffic away. Its a tiny glimpse into the distant past, or the distant future where car is not king, and shows how lovely cities can be. There was quite a few pedestrians about also enjoying the mostly deserted streets, but the lack of motor traffic made it seem just like scenes from the film '28 days later', zombie apocalypse!

St George's Circus
DwnKjGV.jpg

London Bridge, which has had long running roadworks at both ends recently, making it a pretty horrific experience for cyclists and motorists. Not on this day though....
jjdYNYP.jpg

cZIKmjK.jpg

Cheapside, heading towards St Paul's Cathedral.
Ik7cmeV.jpg

Bank Junction, with the columns straight ahead of the Bank of England, contrasting with modern buildings like the Leadenhall Building, more commonly known as the Cheesegrater, so you can tell which one that is. This junction has recently had cars banned during normal working hours, but its still usually choc full of buses, and is a well known accident hot-spot. It was blissfully quiet on Xmas day.
RMd4BQc.jpg

Ludgate Hill, again normally nose to tail traffic.
g0o94mp.jpg

The eastern side of the Aldwych, normally a 24/7 cyclist and motorist nightmare, I've never seen it this quiet ever!
zP6ty4l.jpg

And here's the west end of the Aldwych, looking down the Strand
HpNZHI1.jpg

And finally here's Whitehall, by Downing Street, the Cenotaph is in the background.
SOuOF4n.jpg

Even the protesters at Parliament Square had the day off, it makes a nice change to cycle past there without Brexit shrieking from those on both sides.

Its a bit difficult to tell the contrast between these pics and what these locations look like normally, so I may revisit the same spots in the coming week to show what they are like when 'normal service' is resumed. Only 364 days before I can enjoy it like that again. Happy Christmas.

Out on the Boxing Day club run today,arrived late and was playing catch up until catching the group of,,,,,,three!

Part of the reason for being late was giving the Garmin a late charge as it was down to low battery but even so was running low again when arriving at St Ives so switched to the phone for the return journey.

After an espresso and muffin at Costa it was back via the busway where I picked up a front flat, however sealant worked and was able to get home although it was virtually flat by the time I got home.

Still a nice relaxed ride out under grey skies.

The other three of the fantastic four!:laugh:

IMG_3052.jpg

Sealant everywhere but it kept me going:thumbsup:

IMG_3056.jpg
IMG_3054.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2036280849/overview

https://www.strava.com/activities/2036259706

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
25 miles , nice and steady, miles havnt been munched much lately.
Red Kite and Buzzard, a good few seen, one buzzard sat in bushes not 10 feet from me, slowed to a stop, he watched me get the camera out, turn it on....and flew off :laugh:.
A good ride after the aches from OA this last week.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After abandoning a Christmas day ride yesterday due to ice, it was noticeably milder this morning and although wall to wall grey much better for a ride.

So, out on the Giant and up Coal Road, then Skeltons Lane and onto the long descent down Sandhills into Thorner. Up Main Street and onto Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge and between the hedges to Holme Farm Lane and on to Rigton Green and back out on Compton Lane, which was beyond filthy again, with yet more mud left everywhere at various points by the farmer(s).

Hard left at the end and the short climb to the top of the hill and along Jewitt Lane heading almost due south into a surprisingly and unforecast stiff breeze.
Up the hill and onto Thorner Lane, through the smaller dip at Wothersome and straight on down the incline to Bramham, where it was up the hill and onto Aberford Road to loop round the top of the village and onto Toulston Lane.
This took me over the county line into North Yorkshire, then onto Garnett Lane for the run to the bridge over the A64 and then the plunge down to Stutton.
I stayed on the main road through there as the alternative road was thick with more mud (blooming farmers...), across Cock Beck and up to the A162 and the climb up the hill before taking Raw Lane to Ulleskelf.
A totally unnecessary loop around the village brought me to the bus stop where I stopped for an energy bar and a photo:
IMG_20181226_112003760_BURST001.jpg

Back on the bike and left for Church Fenton, passing a very quiet looking Leeds East Airport before heading through the village and over the railway line (no trains today), before the long straight of Common Lane took me to Barkston Ash. Another sprint along the A162 and left again for Saxton, first climbing, then dropping into the village before climbing back out again on Coldhill Lane past Linda's Bench, before eventually dropping down onto Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Gates.

Right there for Aberford and after some ups and downs, the plunge into the village under the A1(M) bridge and along Main Street to Cattle Lane for the roller-coaster ride to Cock Beck before the long drag up through Barwick and almost to Scholes, where there is finally a bit of downhill to the Coronation Tree and onto Leeds Road, down the hill and up the other side before local roads up to home.

33.53 miles (53.96 km) in a steady 2h 43m at an average of 12.3 mph with 1,522 ft climbed and an almost tropical average temperature of 6.0°C

Enjoyed that once I got going, although I really need to work on my fitness as it was harder work than it needed to be at times. That said, it's another point in the Half Century Challenge and gets me within touching distance of my annual mileage target. The bike needed a blooming good hose down after that as well.

And to end, the map:
26122018.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Dropped my 9 year old daughter off (who woke up with chicken pox yesterday)off at her mother’s. It was a rough night of itching and squawking so I was glad to get out and do something for me. Me time can be restorative. It was.

Started nibbling away at the #Festive500 today with a 100km ride. Nearly 1300m elevation which for such a short ride makes this quite a lumpy one.

Green and grey rolling together.
B24FAC0B-7815-49BA-9DA7-BC6B42A86AE5.jpeg

Dropping into Horningsham
5A04A991-AB15-4D9E-8C6A-9D7F0703AA35.jpeg

Test saddle. Utter blinkin’ bliss. I could actually fire where I aimed. I could feel the trigger and everything. Also dropped my aero bars which are now sofa-bed comfy.
C85C4551-0965-4280-BB0E-D61271E98F48.jpeg

Longleat Woods
29A588CC-9C1B-450F-9053-D3C5BCDA3F72.jpeg

Just outside Frome. No punctures. I really hope Sustrans didn’t pay this idiot to flail these hedges and not tidy up. Pathetic.
5C6C7585-1CB2-4CE7-9018-12950730CDF6.jpeg

Le carte.
E6AF8ECE-C10D-40AD-A27F-31A407441B54.jpeg

Dorset escarpment.
5C285CD4-8759-48FB-82C2-9C0D9EB7618A.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit of a jaunt this afternoon to try and burn off some of yesterday's excesses. I went for one of my hillyish routes: Condover, Longnor, Hollyhurst, Dudgeley, Walkmills, Wilderley, Pulverbatch, Longden, Exfords Green and back via Lyth Hill.

Weather; a bit grey but not really cold and with light winds. I saw plenty of people out walking again but only 4 cyclists, one of whom was having a bit of a mechanical so I stopped to see if I could help - it was an issue with the front derailleur not shifting but he'd pretty much sorted it by the time I stopped.

Roads were wet which has added to the muddy look of the bike. I'll have to wash it before the meetup booked for Friday.

25.8 miles at 13.3 mph average

Just a couple of snaps on the 'phone this time:
DSC0007307.jpg

On the climb up past Walkmills.

DSC0007308.jpg

About as spectacular as the sunset managed this evening.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
I am working on the Rapha challenge and at the same time giving my mileage number a push to finish the year..

48426208_1938884719540272_3567413390974386176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Will be really close to 10.000 miles or 16000 km.. But won't make it... (there is a goal for next year!)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another 35 miles this morning under relentless grey skies
Grey Day.JPG
This tme it was an anti-clockwise ride up to Martlesham via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourrne and Waldingfield, then across to Westerfield via Rushmere St. Andrew and home via Buckleshem. Compared to yesterday, the road traffic was over half as much, but no end of cyclists & joggers were on the roads either working off the Christmas Day excess or just getting out for a bit of fresh air. Also I've finally had time to stop and read this piece of graffiti as I'm normally going in the opposite direction...
Graffiti.JPG
Screenshot_2018-12-27 Boxing Day Bimble Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2018-12-27 Boxing Day Bimble Ride Strava(1).png

Then another 7 mile round trip to Mum's for a Boxing Day get together with my sister & her family.

Levo-Lon

Guru
View attachment 444121 This tme it was an anti-clockwise ride up to Martlesham via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourrne and Waldingfield, then across to Westerfield via Rushmere St. Andrew and home via Buckleshem. Compared to yesterday, the road traffic was over half as much, but no end of cyclists & joggers were on the roads either working off the Christmas Day excess or just getting out for a bit of fresh air. Also I've finally had time to stop and read this piece of graffiti as I'm normally going in the opposite direction...
View attachment 444122 View attachment 444124 View attachment 444123
Then another 7 mile round trip to Mum's for a Boxing Day get together with my sister & her family.

Love that sign:laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
This is from yesterday, but I was otherwise engaged and couldn't write it up then. I've mentioned recently how much I love riding in London on Christmas Day, because its the ONLY day of the year where there is no buses, and mostly no taxi's. There were minicabs and the odd open topped tourist bus, but the entire Transport for London network shut down, and most people are indoors overindulging. The air is as fresh as we can ever hope to get in London, which is still probably awful compared to the rest of the country, but its noticeably nicer than normal.

I really like the contrast between parts of London that are normally heaving with traffic and people, and the eerie quality these same places feel on the one day of the year when you take most of the traffic away. Its a tiny glimpse into the distant past, or the distant future where car is not king, and shows how lovely cities can be. There was quite a few pedestrians about also enjoying the mostly deserted streets, but the lack of motor traffic made it seem just like scenes from the film '28 days later', zombie apocalypse!

St George's Circus
View attachment 444009
London Bridge, which has had long running roadworks at both ends recently, making it a pretty horrific experience for cyclists and motorists. Not on this day though....
View attachment 444010
View attachment 444011
Cheapside, heading towards St Paul's Cathedral.
View attachment 444012
Bank Junction, with the columns straight ahead of the Bank of England, contrasting with modern buildings like the Leadenhall Building, more commonly known as the Cheesegrater, so you can tell which one that is. This junction has recently had cars banned during normal working hours, but its still usually choc full of buses, and is a well known accident hot-spot. It was blissfully quiet on Xmas day.
View attachment 444013
Ludgate Hill, again normally nose to tail traffic.
View attachment 444014
The eastern side of the Aldwych, normally a 24/7 cyclist and motorist nightmare, I've never seen it this quiet ever!
View attachment 444015
And here's the west end of the Aldwych, looking down the Strand
View attachment 444016
And finally here's Whitehall, by Downing Street, the Cenotaph is in the background.
View attachment 444017
Even the protesters at Parliament Square had the day off, it makes a nice change to cycle past there without Brexit shrieking from those on both sides.

Its a bit difficult to tell the contrast between these pics and what these locations look like normally, so I may revisit the same spots in the coming week to show what they are like when 'normal service' is resumed. Only 364 days before I can enjoy it like that again. Happy Christmas.

Hmm, it never looks like that when I'm in London,it must be bliss without the stink of fumes and people everywhere

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
View attachment 444121 This tme it was an anti-clockwise ride up to Martlesham via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourrne and Waldingfield, then across to Westerfield via Rushmere St. Andrew and home via Buckleshem. Compared to yesterday, the road traffic was over half as much, but no end of cyclists & joggers were on the roads either working off the Christmas Day excess or just getting out for a bit of fresh air. Also I've finally had time to stop and read this piece of graffiti as I'm normally going in the opposite direction...
View attachment 444122 View attachment 444124 View attachment 444123

That bike :notworthy: Identify for my field guide please.

Top Bottom