Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Nice ride yesterday inc the local Boxing Day 20km time trial from Iron Acton - Charfield & back.

IMG_20181227_104048.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
strava5181062040946486081.jpg
Been bothered by back pain for a few days.
Thought I'd give it a stretch this morning so it was a nice easy 10 mile loop along the canal and Kelvin.
Really mild in Glasgow this morning and thankfully the fog has gone.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time to burn that turkey. So off into the lanes and on down to Redmarley went fairly well. It wasn't warm or cold. It was dry with no wind. That was the key thing today. The hills at Pauntley seemed fine so I continued on through Brand Green and down to the Leadon at Highleadon. Then up onto Woolridge where the misty murk hid the views in every direction although I could see the flooding down on the Hams. Riding past those floods any wildfowl that was about wasn't visible, apart from a grazing flock of Greylags and a wheeling flock of Lapwing. I kept it steady along here even tho' a pair of riders came past and dangled just ahead of me. 6 magpies clacked as I went past. Soon I was dodging by Clive's Fruit Farm and taking the Hanley Swan run back. Lovely outing today taking things nice and steady. More turkey burning to be done but I've put a dent in it today. 47 smiles

13 rider

Guru
The pursuit of miles continues chasing down yearly total and doing the Strava Rapha 500 ( kms between Xmas Eve and New year's Eve). I had organised a local cc ride which this time last year was cancelled due to snow . Due to commitments was down to 2 riders myself and @Supersuperleeds . Out the door just after 0700 for a few early miles . Headed towards meeting point at Market Bosworth then looped out towards Measham . Just headed through Market Bosworth which was gridlocked while filtering past the traffic I spotted @Supersuperleeds ahead pulled up alongside and waited for the tipper truck to back into the roadworks which was the reason for the gridlock .On our way early no waiting . Through Kirby Mallory we were past by a young racing snake who didn't disappear and on every climb we closed him down without trying . In Stoney Stanton he final turned off our route which I think he was thankful for as he kept shoulder checking us.Through the villages of Frolesworth ,Ullesthorpe ,Claybrooke Parva In Withybrook quick detour for a veloviewer square then towards Wolvey and another veloviewer square then on round Nuneaton and across the A5 on to familiar roads a few extra miles before the cafe stop at Sutton Wharf which we were both ready for . Ive got 75 miles on the clock 15 miles from home @Supersuperleeds had 85 so he was safely going past the ton . Cafe was very busy so a nice break @Supersuperleeds treated me to beans on toast and coffee :rolleyes:but he did use my free cup of coffee token :laugh:. While eating I decided the ton wasn't happening the legs had gone . Direct route home being towed along by @Supersuperleeds at 19 mph :wacko: through Newtown Unthank. We parted company near Ratby he headed home to complete another imperial ton I got home with 90 miles in . The first 90 mile I've ever done normally would press on for the ton but it wasnt happening today . 58 miles short of 12000 and more than half way through the Rapha challenge both should get done
Happy new year everyone

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It's my Spa Elan - the version with full 105 and hydraulic disc brakes and with added Ti seat post and their hand built wheels. Relatively heavy compared to my other 'road' bikes, but oh so comfortable :thumbsup:

Thought as much. I have one in a smaller flavour with just over 5000km on the clock. I went for cable discs and a triple. I rather fancy that Ti seatpost, but had to scrimp on my build costs.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Very strange weather - clear and sunny but no frost and little wind. I set out just after 10 for a 40 mile anti-clockwise loop, furthest I've been since at least November. First close pass was from the Innerleithen mountain bike uplift van and trailer, which couldn't be bothered stopping at a passing place and just carried on straight at me. I paused before climbing the Paddy Slacks to get a photo looking back towards Innerleithen.

IMG_20181227_113453[1].jpg

After descending the other side I turned east down Yarrowdale, where today's second piece of motoring nobbery occurred. I was overtaken (at a respectful distance) immediately before a blind corner by a BMW with a TO55 ERS type number plate. Fortunately the oncoming car was able to swerve off road to avoid a collision.
Further east I took a short detour to the Yarrow Stone, which since the last time I was there has sprouted an interpretation board. This is the view looking east towards the A708.

IMG_20181227_122750[1].jpg

The board which details the inscription on the stone -

IMG_20181227_122705[1].jpg

And the new interpretation board (part of) -

IMG_20181227_122402[1].jpg

And today's final part of motoring idiocy was on an old dead end section of the A7 which is used by walkers, horseriders, dog-walkers and cyclists. There was an oncoming car but it appeared to be travelling really slowly. Trotting along on the opposite verge was a boxer dog, which I almost had to stop for as it was all over the place. The car had four adults in it, none of whom had any apparent disabilities, apart from being bone idle. :angry:

Today's map -

upload_2018-12-27_18-29-55.png

40.6 miles @14mph, 2259 feet up and down.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No danger of an early ride today as I had to go buy shirts and exchange wrong sized jeggings (not for me, mini Ms CB loves the things but they have to fit right:rolleyes:)
Post lunch I decided it was about time I took the Optima Lynx out for a proper ride, I must have been feeling brave:laugh:. I've only ridden 1.5 miles on it before and that was over the park on grass... With my lad in tow we did a little circuit of the estate before getting onto the main road and heading into Thorpe. Did a lap of the trading estate and then off to the post office so the lad could see when he's wanted for work next.
A diversion on the way home to show him where his paper round will be next year, and on turning around we had some funny noises and the pedals locked up:sad: Roadside investigation found one of the chain tubes had detached and run into the idler. That bit of gaffer tape and cable ties that have been residing in the saddle bag for the past 4 years finally proved their worth, and with repairs effected we made it home with 5.5 miles done. Greeted by Mrs CB who's first words were 'Did you fall off then?'...
The beast
OptimaLynx1.jpg

The hamster bars will take getting used to, they are very sensitive and I find if I relax it's far easier to ride straight. I'm going to give the SA 8 speed hub a bit more time to get used to, it works fine but I found I was in 8th gear most of the time and on the small ring at the front.

Just a commute in today,traffic quiet so took the direct route on the A10:ohmy:;quieter than a Saturday though:biggrin:

Downside is finding another puncture this time in the rear although the sealnt did it's job;getting a bit ridiculous around here with road debris:sad:.

Upside is 6,000kms reached before the end of the year which considering how the year started I'm pretty pleased with.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
So far this year I've managed to do at least one ride of 100km or more each month but I'd not had a chance to do this month's so far. So, once the mist had lifted and visibility had improved, I was out of the house at midday with a rough route in my head.

It started well with a regular run out to Great Bealings via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldringfield and Little Bealings, but it was as I was approaching Grundisburgh that the plan almost fell apart.

Most of the roads I'd used were damp, but with that awful surface dressing whereas the right hander on the B1079 was damp/greasy with smooth asphalt/tarmac which gave less grip and my front wheel slid out from under me at just under 20mph and I went down on my right knee, hip & elbow while my left thumb got wrenched as the bars twisted. Thankfully no damage to the bike apart from scuffing to the derailleur and both silver plastic trim pieces on the brifters (the screw securing the trim was pulled from the left one operating the front brake and needs replacing). I was more annoyed that the DHB Windblock tights I was wearing had been holed on the knee & hip and would need to be thrown out!

Once I'd picked myself & the bike up, checked everything was working and assured the rather surprised driver who was following me that I was OK, I carried on with the planned ride to Ashbocking and then up to Debenham via Helmingham, across to Stowmarket via Mickfield and then the back road to Needham Market and home via Claydon, Bramford, Ipswich & Bucklesham where the mist was starting to form again as the sun went down...
Bucklesham Mist.jpg

The total in the end was just under 64 miles - 20 before the off and another 44 afterwards!!
The ride stats:
Screenshot_2018-12-27 Garmin Connect.png

Once home I had a long soak in a hot bath to help with the injuries
Elbow.jpg
Knee.jpg
Hip.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So far this year I've managed to do at least one ride of 100km or more each month but I'd not had a chance to do this month's so far. So, once the mist had lifted and visibility had improved, I was out of the house at midday with a rough route in my head.

It started well with a regular run out to Great Bealings via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldringfield and Little Bealings, but it was as I was approaching Grundisburgh that the plan almost fell apart.

Most of the roads I'd used were damp, but with that awful surface dressing whereas the right hander on the B1079 was damp/greasy with smooth asphalt/tarmac which gave less grip and my front wheel slid out from under me at just under 20mph and I went down on my right knee, hip & elbow while my left thumb got wrenched as the bars twisted. Thankfully no damage to the bike apart from scuffing to the derailleur and both silver plastic trim pieces on the brifters (the screw securing the trim was pulled from the left one operating the front brake and needs replacing). I was more annoyed that the DHB Windblock tights I was wearing had been holed on the knee & hip and would need to be thrown out!

Once I'd picked myself & the bike up, checked everything was working and assured the rather surprised driver who was following me that I was OK, I carried on with the planned ride to Ashbocking and then up to Debenham via Helmingham, across to Stowmarket via Mickfield and then the back road to Needham Market and home via Claydon, Bramford, Ipswich & Bucklesham where the mist was starting to form again as the sun went down...
View attachment 444269
The total in the end was just under 64 miles - 20 before the off and another 44 afterwards!!
The ride stats:
View attachment 444270
Once home I had a long soak in a hot bath to help with the injuries

That's a like for sticking with it - heal quickly. :okay:

Top Bottom