Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I decided to do a little hill-conquering today. OK, to a lot of you they really would be little hills, but to me...

Out from central Tavistock, straight up Bannawell Street and Butcher Park Hill, on the Lydford road. That was one of the hills done, right off. Good!
Then out to just past the Chillaton turn, then right. Thislittle road meets with a similar lane that starts just below the church on the tor at Brentor, just past Dartmoor Gliding Club.
From there, it's a case of just following the road round in a wide loop, heading back down toward the A386 near Pitts Cleeve. Lose all the elevation gained in one go, then turn off onto Old Exeter Road, and join NCN27 back into Tavy. Follow until the Council Offices, then loop back under the viaduct and up onto it to join NCN270. First stop:
View attachment 444325
Looking down on Tavy, south side of the viaduct, just yards from my start point below.
View attachment 444326
Looking north from the same point, toward the loop I'd just completed.

Then along the Viaduct Walk to the west end of town, then down very steeply through Monksmead, and cross the canal by Tavistock College. Thence along the footpaths to the roundabout by Morrisons. Over the crossing into Bishopsmead, follwing NCN27 again, now Drake's Trail. Next stop:
View attachment 444327
Near the north end of Grenofen tunnel, looking north.

View attachment 444329
And south to the tunnel mouth. Really BIG tunnel for a single track. It would take 25kV electrification without and work at all...It's also home to a large bat colony, which is why there's a large metal structure in the roof toward the southern end.

Next stop, Gem Bridge.
View attachment 444330
This was taken after crossing in the uphill direction. I always cross quickly, as I've no head for heights, and it's 30-some metres to the river...
View attachment 444331

Onward to the bottom of the hill at Leg O'Mutton (yes, really). This hill is a relatively short, very steep killer. Decided I would try it. I've never made it up without walking. Stopped twice, but got up by pedalling! Another couple of goes, I might do it in one.
Onward to the roundabout at Yelverton, and turn around, only another half mile or so.

Here's what that hill looks like from near the top.
View attachment 444332
Might not look much, but from the point I took the photo, I remounted and was over 10mph before I'd got myself fully settled. It's steep. And strewn with leaf and tree debris. If you could guarantee a clean path with no peds, sheep, cows, horses, or other cyclists, 40+mph would be a certainty.

Largely downhill all the way back, always a nice rest.
18.96 miles, av. 9.0, 1556ft elevation gain.
Quite pleased with myself!
:smile:

That’s enough to give me vertigo! Happy memories from 2 months ago. My legs haven’t forgotten those lumps. Well done. Lovely ride.

I've been getting into bad company on Cycle Chat and getting all interested in longer bike rides and tours, and even doing a century this year. As part of that I'm investigating a couple of more interesting/challenging routes for the evening commute.

I'd wanted to explore one of these a few days ago but I quickly realised I'd freeze Beautiful daughter, So today, after work I planned to go and find the Western Route through the forest.

HH_001.JPG

Starting at the tram stop at the top of the hill (There's 'challenging' and there's '200metres in about four kilometres') Notice commuter bike because Xtracycle is still sulking.

Tram nerd information: Stuttgart's tram system is partly dual gauge: the curved line visible is metre gauge, and the trams behind are on standard gauge track. The metre gauge system is limited to a couple of lines for preserved trams from before the gauge change.

So now you know.

HH_003.JPG

You are never more than ten minutes from dense forest in Stuttgart, even in the centre of the city.
This trail is a nice one: a good surface, dead straight and very slightly downhill. There's an ecology centre just off this trail about halfway down that I'm applying to work at: you never know...

HH_007.JPG

After getting slightly lost I found the exit and emerged onto land belonging to the local agricultural/environmental studies university. Last time I was here I turned to the left and got stuck on a busy road. This time, I was pretty sure turning right would get me on a better route

HH_010.JPG

It did too.

HH_011.JPG

To show I don't live in a bicycle Utopia, I had to cross this junction to get to our village. Look. Cars.

HH_012.JPG

See? More cars. Sort of.

HH_014.JPG

And hills.

HH_015.JPG

In our village, and perpetual building site. I can't remember one time in the last 15 years when there wasn't a crane somewhere

HH_016.JPG

View from balcony after getting back. Just because.

A bare 7km, but now I know I can get through, I can combine it with other routes and make something more challenging.

Cycling just became fun again.

Last edited:
The Bakfiets doesn't get photographed often, mostly because it doesn't do much that is exciting: it usually trundles about the village carrying Beautiful Daughter or to the next town to get the shopping.

Ruit_01.JPG

Today we arranged that Beautiful Wife and Daughter would go over on the bus because apparently sub-zero temperatures are "too cold" for cycling. I agreed to cycle over, let it too late as usual, and then had to rush over, as usual; so the pictures are on the return with the weeks shopping.

Ruit_02.JPG

Approaching our village. It was cold but despite the doom-laden weather report not freezing and fortunately the roads were dry.

It's about 6km in total, but I reckon I can add about 50% to the distance when using a bike that is 30kg empty.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Wish I'd stayed in.

Pam told me to go off on a ride as I was a bit glum this morning. I'd missed the end of the month long social ride on Friday because I didn't set my alarm properly.
I wasn't feeling great but thought, "what the hell, it'll do me good". So I got dressed and dragged the shiny Spa out for a pootle up to and round Rivington. It was a bit blustery so while I'd have a headwind outbound, I'd be pushed home :smile:
Through the estate and into Moss Bank Park. Behind me as I turned into the car park I could hear a dirt bike engine behind me...ugh. Nobbers are out again. As they came along side me to pass I called out and asked what they thought they were doing.
Passenger: "What are YOU doing?"
"No, what are YOU doing? You're not supposed to be on here with that thing."
He muttered something and the rider stopped the bike immediately after taking the right hand bend after the cafe heading towards Moss Bank Way. I too stopped, wondering what they were planning next. Next thing I knew, the dirt bikes rear tyre spun up and sprayed me and my bike with muck. I was stunned and just stood there glaring at them.
The fu**ers had a good laugh and went on their way.
A lady who was there with her child saw what happened and told me one of their names. I shook my head in disbelief and rode on towards Smithills Dean Road. Once there I phoned the police and reported it. Without a license plate or cctv footage there wasn't much they can do. Fair enough I guess. I've decided to dust off the cams and I'll remount them soon.
As I got the top of the road I was really struggling and decided to go home. Onto Colliers Row Road and into a bugger of a headwind. A quick stop to regurgitate some of my breakfast and more wobbly wind bashing followed.
Shortly before turning left onto Longshaw Ford Road I again had to do an emergency stop to regurgitate pretty much everything in my stomach and as if that wasn't enough, my body tried ridding me of my lungs. Nice. It was on my coat collar and arms too. Jeez I'm in sh*t shape.
Perk of the ride was hitting 30mph into Bamber Bridge via gravity and wind power alone. A doddle through the estate and home again.
Mucky, sick covered cycling gear into the washer and bike waiting in the hall for another wash. Might do that tomorrow when I feel better.
You know those people who answer "You're mad" on finding out our chosen interest in life? I think they might be onto something.

20181229_111923.jpg

20181229_111928.jpg

20181229_111938.jpg

20181229_111943.jpg

C R

Guru
Wish I'd stayed in.

Pam told me to go off on a ride as I was a bit glum this morning. I'd missed the end of the month long social ride on Friday because I didn't set my alarm properly.
I wasn't feeling great but thought, "what the hell, it'll do me good". So I got dressed and dragged the shiny Spa out for a pootle up to and round Rivington. It was a bit blustery so while I'd have a headwind outbound, I'd be pushed home :smile:
Through the estate and into Moss Bank Park. Behind me as I turned into the car park I could hear a dirt bike engine behind me...ugh. Nobbers are out again. As they came along side me to pass I called out and asked what they thought they were doing.
He muttered something and the rider stopped the bike immediately after taking the right hand bend after the cafe heading towards Moss Bank Way. I too stopped, wondering what they were planning next. Next thing I knew, the dirt bikes rear tyre spun up and sprayed me and my bike with muck. I was stunned and just stood there glaring at them.
A lady who was there with her child saw what happened and told me one of their names. I shook my head in disbelief and rode on towards Smithills Dean Road. Once there I phoned the police and reported it. Without a license plate or cctv footage there wasn't much they can do. Fair enough I guess. I've decided to dust off the cams and I'll remount them soon.
As I got the top of the road I was really struggling and decided to go home. Onto Colliers Row Road and into a bugger of a headwind. A quick stop to regurgitate some of my breakfast and more wobbly wind bashing followed.
Shortly before turning left onto Longshaw Ford Road I again had to do an emergency stop to regurgitate pretty much everything in my stomach and as if that wasn't enough, my body tried ridding me of my lungs. Nice. It was on my coat collar and arms too. Jeez I'm in sh*t shape.
Perk of the ride was hitting 30mph into Bamber Bridge via gravity and wind power alone. A doddle through the estate and home again.
Mucky, sick covered cycling gear into the washer and bike waiting in the hall for another wash. Might do that tomorrow when I feel better.
You know those people who answer "You're mad" on finding out our chosen interest in life? I think they might be onto something.

View attachment 444472
View attachment 444473
View attachment 444474
View attachment 444475
A like for getting out. Sorry it didn't turn out any fun.

Damn, stil 1.22 miles short of the 350, but too pooped after yesterday's ride to add on the extra.

That hill again.
DSC00219.JPG

DSC00220.JPG

Didn't stop until nearly complete to take any other pics, here's a couple on/from Wilminstone Viaduct.
DSC00221.JPG

DSC00222.JPG

Actual route was as yesterday at first, but took the turn to Chillaton, along the base leg of the Brentor Triangle. Out to Iron Railings Cross and up the less steep leg to Brentor Church.
Crazy downhill all the way, just about, to Burn Lane, and around the outside of Brentor to the cattle grid above the old station. Thence into Mary Tavy, cut through via Mary Tavy old station, and up a killer hill, which needed a stop midway.
I actually took a while to overhaul a girl walking a horse, I was that slow! Then another downhill blast to regain NCN27 back into town, and home.
14.3 miles, av 9.3mph.

Wish I'd stayed in.

View attachment 444472
View attachment 444473
View attachment 444474
View attachment 444475

Rats, not so good. Hope you feel better soon!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I rode over to Upton. Jules H was waiting and Pete M rolled up shortly after. Margaret PR arrived eventually. Pete had thought the long way to Tewkesbury would work so we took to the school. Mrs 26 and Margaret turned for a very short Tewkesbury while us ruffty tuffty chaps aimed for the Hams and a crossing of the River at Tirley. We chatted with a lady rider who was almost home at Apperley before crossing the A38 and heading over the flat lands by Bozard's Farm. Now we jinked by Aston Cross and Bredon's Hardwick to drop us into Tewkesbury and the cafe.

We spent quite a time in the cafe before taking to the White Rabbit and back for Upton. Both Pete and Jules parted here so I took my usual route back but decided to add a bit by going to Clevelode before looping back onto my usual route. The sun was dipping towards the ridge of the Hills as I made my way over the last mile or two. Nice outing in mild, bright and mostly windless weather. 55 smiles

Top Bottom