Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Early morning ride today, leaving home in the dark at 07:10. Took the B2B track into Bristol then crossed the city departing to the south via Long Ashton, I then climbed Backwell Hill and into the mist/low cloud, rode round the perimeter of Bristol Airport, briefly joined the A38 before turning onto Row of Ashes Lane. Onwards to Chew Magna where the cafe hadn't opened yet & then thru Norton Marlewood and stopped in Keynsham for a well earned coffee & pastry.

IMG_20181230_160531.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
96FD1B12-D944-4CA3-9854-EC91754DF29E.jpeg
7F64E834-A410-4308-A4ED-CE4DC5E1A207.jpeg
4988CE48-7B71-4890-A725-96E2F743A93C.jpeg

Fuelled up on Chocolate Orange l was out on the Tricross just after lunch. A really mild day in North Yorkshire I headed out to Cawood, over the swing bridge and on to Stillingfleet and Naburn where I crossed the River Ouse. The next village was Acaster Malbis where I stopped to take a photo by the River. I continued through the old Acaster Airfield on to Appleton Roebuck, Bolton Percy and Tadcaster turning left at John Smiths Brewery up the hill for a couple of miles to home.
In hindsight I should have taken my bike with mudguards as the roads were not as dry as I thought, both me and the bike are filthy!
26.8 miles with an average of 14.2 mph, lovely ride.

pjd57

Veteran
Unexpected ride today.
My Mrs was meeting some pals so I decided to go out for a couple of hours.
Nice , easy predictable loop. Canal , Kelvin, Clyde, Canal again and home .
21 miles, and it took my Strava total over 4,000 miles for the year.
Would have been more but I had a few months with a phone with a dodgy GPS that mainly took me in straight lines or missed bits out.

Mrs M

Guru
Wish I'd stayed in.

Pam told me to go off on a ride as I was a bit glum this morning. I'd missed the end of the month long social ride on Friday because I didn't set my alarm properly.
I wasn't feeling great but thought, "what the hell, it'll do me good". So I got dressed and dragged the shiny Spa out for a pootle up to and round Rivington. It was a bit blustery so while I'd have a headwind outbound, I'd be pushed home :smile:
Through the estate and into Moss Bank Park. Behind me as I turned into the car park I could hear a dirt bike engine behind me...ugh. Nobbers are out again. As they came along side me to pass I called out and asked what they thought they were doing.
Passenger: "What are YOU doing?"
"No, what are YOU doing? You're not supposed to be on here with that thing."
He muttered something and the rider stopped the bike immediately after taking the right hand bend after the cafe heading towards Moss Bank Way. I too stopped, wondering what they were planning next. Next thing I knew, the dirt bikes rear tyre spun up and sprayed me and my bike with muck. I was stunned and just stood there glaring at them.
The fu**ers had a good laugh and went on their way.
A lady who was there with her child saw what happened and told me one of their names. I shook my head in disbelief and rode on towards Smithills Dean Road. Once there I phoned the police and reported it. Without a license plate or cctv footage there wasn't much they can do. Fair enough I guess. I've decided to dust off the cams and I'll remount them soon.
As I got the top of the road I was really struggling and decided to go home. Onto Colliers Row Road and into a bugger of a headwind. A quick stop to regurgitate some of my breakfast and more wobbly wind bashing followed.
Shortly before turning left onto Longshaw Ford Road I again had to do an emergency stop to regurgitate pretty much everything in my stomach and as if that wasn't enough, my body tried ridding me of my lungs. Nice. It was on my coat collar and arms too. Jeez I'm in sh*t shape.
Perk of the ride was hitting 30mph into Bamber Bridge via gravity and wind power alone. A doddle through the estate and home again.
Mucky, sick covered cycling gear into the washer and bike waiting in the hall for another wash. Might do that tomorrow when I feel better.
You know those people who answer "You're mad" on finding out our chosen interest in life? I think they might be onto something.

View attachment 444472
View attachment 444473
View attachment 444474
View attachment 444475
Never mind, the dirt bikers :evil: were probably just jealous of your lovely bike :wub:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays maelstrom, the weather seemed a bit more benign this morning, so out again on the Giant which found it's own way to Coal Road.
Target number one for today was 25.22 miles, which would bring me to my target for the year of 2,500 miles. but if you've ever ventured on to the Half Century challenge thread, you'll know what a dim view @13 rider takes of getting that close to a metric half and not completing it, so that was the secondary target. ^_^
To be honest, the headwind up Coal Road had me wondering if this was a sensible idea and despite changes of direction onto Red Hall Lane, the A58 and then Whin Moor Lane, the wind seemed to be staying against me.

Anyway, I ground my way into Shadwell and for the first part of Main Street I had a bit of shelter due to the lie of the land and it was only the flattish run to Slaid Hill lights where the wind reappeared. Right at the lights and through the dip on Wike Ridge Lane, before the right onto Tarn Lane, where now I had the wind behind me and was fair bowling along, at least by my standards. I almost caught a pair of riders at the Coal Road crossroads, but they were across and straight on, while I took the right fork just through the junction to head down Ling Lane and back onto the A58.
It's downhill nearly all the way to Collingham from here, but despite me doing the 30 mph limit, I got a close pass from a clown in a Corsa who I then re-passed about half a mile further on as he parked up at the bottom of Hetchell Woods. He simply had to get in front though. :wacko:
Anyhow, up the rise to the traffic lights, which were on green for the first time in an age, and more gentle descending to Collingham.
A few turns and I was onto the road over the river and into Linton, up the sharp little rise and then the usual Linton lumpiness and out onto the road into Wetherby, around the top edge of the town and down into the Wilderness for a Snickers and a photo:
IMG_20181230_103957346_BURST004.jpg
IMG_20181230_103927739_BURST001.jpg

Up the steep ramp back into town and then out on the Walton Road over the A1(M) and past the racecourse into the countryside, once again wind assisted for most of it.
Right for the turning to Thorp Arch, with the usual loop along Dowkell Lane and Long Causeway to add a bit more mileage on, before plunging down and over the river on the single track bridge, where once again an oncoming car driver decided that me already being established on the bridge they'd just drive on anyway :rolleyes: - I moved onto the hatched section, but one of these days I'm just going to stop in the middle of the lane and see what happens. :dry:
Anyway, up the slope into Boston Spa and while queing to get out onto Main Street another rider came alongside and we had a brief chat. he turned right, I turned left and then looped around into Clifford, climbing through the village and the long descent into Bramham, slowed a bit by that pesky headwind again.
Up Main Street which is still in an appalling state after being "resurfaced" at the end of the summer and round onto the bridge over the A1(M) and the start of the long drag up past Bramham Park.
I was sheltered from the worst of the wind to start with, but things opened up quite a bit as I turned onto Thorner Lane and once through the lesser Wothersome dip it was just a grind straight into the wind on a steadily rising road. So I was happy to turn onto Jewitt Lane and change direction, but then once it started climbing I was surprised to find I was still riding into a headwind, which continued when I turned left onto Compton Lane. Who says Mother Nature doesn't have a sense of humour?
Unsurprisingly this lane is still filthy with mud dragged out of the fields and insufficient traffic to clear it, not helped that the farmer has also been hacking the hedges as well. At the almost U-turn onto Bramham Lane I almost had an off on the mud despite taking it steady, so it's getting reported again.
Once clear of the morass, Bramham Lane was lovely and deserted and finally wind assisted too, so I was soon climbing up onto Holme Farm Lane for another section into the wind, which is where I hit the required 25.22 miles meaning I'd reached my mileage target :wahhey: before turning left onto Milner Lane to run into Thorner. I had a cross wind on here, which was interesting until I reached the protection of the more substantial hedges beyond Hetchell Woods.
The always fun drop down off the ridge into Thorner followed, but on the run into the village I could really hear the wind roaring through the trees on the banking above the lane - it was like a freight train was going past.
A quick wiggle along Main Street and out onto Carr Lane as I was fairly sure that the direct route home wouldn't give me quite enough miles for a metric half.
This meant that I was cycling into the wind and climbing again, but the only way out of Thorner is up, so it was just a case of getting on with it.
Just beyond the village there are signs stating Carr Lane is "closed for works 02/01/19 - 04/01/19", which @Old jon and @colly might want to note?
More hedge hacking has been taking place on the section of Carr Lane between the S-bend and the A58 but I got through without incident, and then it's a quick(ish) sprint along there and the climb up onto Coal Road, across the mini-roundabout and past the 'Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle: before local roads to home, with a now obligatory loop around the block to ensure the mileage.

31.60 miles (50.85 km) in 2h 37m at an average of 12.1 mph with 1,729ft climbed and an almost tropical average temperature of 9.0°C

Hard work at times, especially into that wind, but really pleased to hit my target and grab a another point in the Half Century Challenge as well. In fact, if it wasn't for that wind it would have been near perfect cycling weather for the time of year as the sun was out quite a bit.
There were also lots of other cyclists out and only a handful of motorised morons.
If I get out tomorrow it's only likely to be for an hour or so, meaning that looks set to be my final point in the Half Century Challenge for 2018 - then it all starts again for 2019!

To end, the map:
30122018.JPG
30122018GOAL.JPG

13 rider

Guru
After yesterdays maelstrom, the weather seemed a bit more benign this morning, so out again on the Giant which found it's own way to Coal Road.
Target number one for today was 25.22 miles, which would bring me to my target for the year of 2,500 miles. but if you've ever ventured on to the Half Century challenge thread, you'll know what a dim view @13 rider takes of getting that close to a metric half and not completing it, so that was the secondary target. ^_^
To be honest, the headwind up Coal Road had me wondering if this was a sensible idea and despite changes of direction onto Red Hall Lane, the A58 and then Whin Moor Lane, the wind seemed to be staying against me.

Anyway, I ground my way into Shadwell and for the first part of Main Street I had a bit of shelter due to the lie of the land and it was only the flattish run to Slaid Hill lights where the wind reappeared. Right at the lights and through the dip on Wike Ridge Lane, before the right onto Tarn Lane, where now I had the wind behind me and was fair bowling along, at least by my standards. I almost caught a pair of riders at the Coal Road crossroads, but they were across and straight on, while I took the right fork just through the junction to head down Ling Lane and back onto the A58.
It's downhill nearly all the way to Collingham from here, but despite me doing the 30 mph limit, I got a close pass from a clown in a Corsa who I then re-passed about half a mile further on as he parked up at the bottom of Hetchell Woods. He simply had to get in front though. :wacko:
Anyhow, up the rise to the traffic lights, which were on green for the first time in an age, and more gentle descending to Collingham.
A few turns and I was onto the road over the river and into Linton, up the sharp little rise and then the usual Linton lumpiness and out onto the road into Wetherby, around the top edge of the town and down into the Wilderness for a Snickers and a photo:
View attachment 444701 View attachment 444700
Up the steep ramp back into town and then out on the Walton Road over the A1(M) and past the racecourse into the countryside, once again wind assisted for most of it.
Right for the turning to Thorp Arch, with the usual loop along Dowkell Lane and Long Causeway to add a bit more mileage on, before plunging down and over the river on the single track bridge, where once again an oncoming car driver decided that me already being established on the bridge they'd just drive on anyway :rolleyes: - I moved onto the hatched section, but one of these days I'm just going to stop in the middle of the lane and see what happens. :dry:
Anyway, up the slope into Boston Spa and while queing to get out onto Main Street another rider came alongside and we had a brief chat. he turned right, I turned left and then looped around into Clifford, climbing through the village and the long descent into Bramham, slowed a bit by that pesky headwind again.
Up Main Street which is still in an appalling state after being "resurfaced" at the end of the summer and round onto the bridge over the A1(M) and the start of the long drag up past Bramham Park.
I was sheltered from the worst of the wind to start with, but things opened up quite a bit as I turned onto Thorner Lane and once through the lesser Wothersome dip it was just a grind straight into the wind on a steadily rising road. So I was happy to turn onto Jewitt Lane and change direction, but then once it started climbing I was surprised to find I was still riding into a headwind, which continued when I turned left onto Compton Lane. Who says Mother Nature doesn't have a sense of humour?
Unsurprisingly this lane is still filthy with mud dragged out of the fields and insufficient traffic to clear it, not helped that the farmer has also been hacking the hedges as well. At the almost U-turn onto Bramham Lane I almost had an off on the mud despite taking it steady, so it's getting reported again.
Once clear of the morass, Bramham Lane was lovely and deserted and finally wind assisted too, so I was soon climbing up onto Holme Farm Lane for another section into the wind, which is where I hit the required 25.22 miles meaning I'd reached my mileage target :wahhey: before turning left onto Milner Lane to run into Thorner. I had a cross wind on here, which was interesting until I reached the protection of the more substantial hedges beyond Hetchell Woods.
The always fun drop down off the ridge into Thorner followed, but on the run into the village I could really hear the wind roaring through the trees on the banking above the lane - it was like a freight train was going past.
A quick wiggle along Main Street and out onto Carr Lane as I was fairly sure that the direct route home wouldn't give me quite enough miles for a metric half.
This meant that I was cycling into the wind and climbing again, but the only way out of Thorner is up, so it was just a case of getting on with it.
Just beyond the village there are signs stating Carr Lane is "closed for works 02/01/19 - 04/01/19", which @Old jon and @colly might want to note?
More hedge hacking has been taking place on the section of Carr Lane between the S-bend and the A58 but I got through without incident, and then it's a quick(ish) sprint along there and the climb up onto Coal Road, across the mini-roundabout and past the 'Your Speed Is..." sign :whistle: before local roads to home, with a now obligatory loop around the block to ensure the mileage.

31.60 miles (50.85 km) in 2h 37m at an average of 12.1 mph with 1,729ft climbed and an almost tropical average temperature of 9.0°C

Hard work at times, especially into that wind, but really pleased to hit my target and grab a another point in the Half Century Challenge as well. In fact, if it wasn't for that wind it would have been near perfect cycling weather for the time of year as the sun was out quite a bit.
There were also lots of other cyclists out and only a handful of motorised morons.
If I get out tomorrow it's only likely to be for an hour or so, meaning that looks set to be my final point in the Half Century Challenge for 2018 - then it all starts again for 2019!

To end, the map:
View attachment 444698 View attachment 444699
I have to admit to only having done 90 miles on the 27th just didn't have the legs to do the ton so I may have let you off just doing 25 :okay:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nice little pootle today to top up my #Festive500 to 300+. This is easily the best route I have put together. Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, Foyle Hill, Gold Hill (Hovis ad), Wiltshire pasties, Stonehenge, Salisbury Plain, 70km headwind, fog, llamas, mud, cafés, pubs, stunning scenery.

Ethereal Dorsetshire.
6C8646AE-48B7-4985-B962-E1223092A95A.jpeg

Informative signs
73F8CE1C-AA2D-4DDD-A5F2-B058BB052734.jpeg

Gold Hill (21.5%)
0760EE01-9FDF-4823-B545-8C8D0793354E.jpeg

Gold Hill, coz it’s pretty.
92D2E062-AA97-4FA4-8165-7D244C27CDF1.jpeg

My cockpit Note route sheet and Bluetooth speaker
F69EEE7F-D09B-4C45-AF52-6E4419B60363.jpeg

Pretty
8E7C4E6B-663E-4963-A6FF-4217821683C9.jpeg

Pretty
8F29B283-B952-4BB6-9548-14A1DB56670C.jpeg

The capital of ‘the number’
10F66C2D-1C05-4B19-B344-6CB21013FF67.jpeg

Map scribble
12C3F117-01B0-4E72-A1B3-FC7F0C1B1E09.jpeg

Sounds like a good ride, Brian.

I must chase up my cousin for the MTB spares that he promised me. Once I have them, I can get my MTB back on off the road!

That would be good. I was surprised when I totted up how much mileage I have done on each of my bikes this year. My mtb accounted for just over 1000 miles of the 5260.

Mrs M

Guru
Nice little pootle today to top up my #Festive500 to 300+. This is easily the best route I have put together. Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, Foyle Hill, Gold Hill (Hovis ad), Wiltshire pasties, Stonehenge, Salisbury Plain, 70km headwind, fog, llamas, mud, cafés, pubs, stunning scenery.

Ethereal Dorsetshire.
View attachment 444740
Informative signs
View attachment 444741
Gold Hill (21.5%)
View attachment 444742
Gold Hill, coz it’s pretty.
View attachment 444743
My cockpit Note route sheet and Bluetooth speaker
View attachment 444744
Pretty
View attachment 444745