Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I planned a 28 mile offroad/trail ride for my final outing of the year and managed to get 10 miles in ...............................

And the bloody chain snapped !!!!

Even with a spare link, I still couldn't do anything about it as when it snapped the chain, it caught enough in the rear sprocket to bend the side plates.

Which meant a 10 mile walk /scoot home.

My LBS (or the only one that is open) has no 11 speed chains in stock, and my local Halfords couldn't find their arse with both hands, so I'll wait until Wednesday when my preferred bike shop is open.

As a side note on how well my day is going, I also dropped a carton of eggs, and four out of the six broke, and some daft woman clipped my car, no damage to my car, not even a rub mark, but still annoying, and even more annoying is that she lives around the corner and is also a fellow Mercedes driver !!

I might go back to bed !!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The last 2018 tandem ride, and it was only right to go to Waresley garden centre.
Luckily the had custard tarts in stock, they redeemed themselves!
We saw a nice Red Kite coming into Gamlingay. We also saw Long Tailed Tits today, always good to see.

Not sure about this pair though

792FB00D-D0D4-4948-A23B-66F6DC8D4514.jpeg

25 miles once done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2046396820

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I planned a 28 mile offroad/trail ride for my final outing of the year and managed to get 10 miles in ...............................

And the bloody chain snapped !!!!

Even with a spare link, I still couldn't do anything about it as when it snapped the chain, it caught enough in the rear sprocket to bend the side plates.

Which meant a 10 mile walk /scoot home.

My LBS (or the only one that is open) has no 11 speed chains in stock, and my local Halfords couldn't find their arse with both hands, so I'll wait until Wednesday when my preferred bike shop is open.

As a side note on how well my day is going, I also dropped a carton of eggs, and four out of the six broke, and some daft woman clipped my car, no damage to my car, not even a rub mark, but still annoying, and even more annoying is that she lives around the corner and is also a fellow Mercedes driver !!

I might go back to bed !!

Have a like, maybe that will change your day....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a jaunt to end the year with.

It was pretty gloomy weather at the start so I needed lights on. I started off by heading over Lyth Hill and dropping down to Hunger Hill before heading through Exfords Green and on to Plealey and Pontesbury. Here even though the main road was quiet I thought a detour would be a change; along Bogey Lane (yes, that's real), past the school and through Pontesbury via the back roads.

On the way to Minsterley a bit of light rain blew across and it got colder so I put on an extra fleece which I was glad of later on (it got chilly higher up). The climb through Snailbeach and Stiperstones was slow but didn't seem too hard today, although having a moment when I shifted down into low range and my chain jumped off was a bit of an annoyance. There seemed to be more traffic than I'm used to coming the other way for most of the climb. At The Bog I was tempted by a stop at the visitor centre for a hot drink but it didn't appear to be open today so I continued with my tyres making odd squeaking noises as I climbed on a road surface that had melted back in the summer

At the summit of this climb I had a stop for a snack. The car park here was quite full as people headed off on walks to the Stiperstones. The descent to The Bridges was enjoyable but I was a little wary of how much grip I might have (it was fine as it turned out)

At The Bridges the pub was a temptation having missed my cafe stop but I resisted and climbed up to Ratlinghope where a large party of walkers strolled out into the road ahead of me without looking for traffic. A few of them jumped when I dinged my bell but thanked me for having rung it anyway. A right turn then took me onto the steepest climb of the day and the long drag up to Shooting Box where I took another right headed onto the gravel path for Pole Bank. Plenty of walkers up here and a few mountain bikers too.

I only paused for a couple of photos at the summit then dropped down the other side to rejoin tarmac heading past Boiling Well and down the Burway which I took very carefully today as there was a trail of oil all the way down the hill (not ideal when there is a 500 foot drop off to your left).

Having safely made it into Church Stretton I found a group of classic cars coming towards me at the crossroads and ended up following them for a short way towards Carding Mill Valley. I'd have liked to get a photo but couldn't get at the camera in time. The one I was directly behind was a Fraser-Nash.

The wind helped me away from Stretton and I was soon onto the old roman road heading home via Longnor, Ryton and Condover. A roadie overtook me just before Green Farm and although he gave a friendly greeting, looked quite grim with his mud spattered face and quite impressive brown stripe up his back. If ever there was an advert for mudguards.....:whistle:

I finished off with the short route home via the A49 which wasn't too busy this time (at least, not the direction I was going).

37.6 miles at 11.5 mph average and a 33 mph top speed from that descent of the Stiperstones. A nice way to finish off 2018.

PC310245.JPG

At the old engine shed at Snailbeach. The rails are still there, just hidden under the grass.

PC310247.JPG

Looking up at the Stiperstones from the road between Pennerley and The Bog.

PC310250.JPG

Not far from the top of the climb.

PC310254.JPG
A very tempting watering hole.

PC310257.JPG

I've been over the Stiperstones, down to The Bridges and am now climbing the Long Mynd. The snow gate is a fairly recent introduction due to the number of people coming a cropper by trying to drive up here in winter.

PC310260.JPG

Still climbing.

PC310262.JPG

At Pole Bank (the summit).

PC310266.JPG

View down the Burway.

PC310267.JPG

Back down in the valley near All Stretton.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A final ride for 2018 today, although as predicted I only had an hour or so. Given the time of day, that meant a variation of a route I've done goodness knows how many times.

On the Giant and up Coal Road into an unexpectedly forceful headwind and by the time I'd turned onto Skeltons Lane I'd had 3 close passes and a near left hook. Fortunately it got better after that!

The long descent of Sandhills followed and was quickly dispatched, before the rise and fall of Main street through Thorner and onto Milner Lane where the sharp rise onto the ridge made itself well and truly felt today. Past Hetchell Woods where some very rude graffiti has appeared on the road since yesterday, in luminous pink spray paint no less.
Right onto Holme Farm Lane and past the first horses and riders of the day to Jewitt Lane and through the dip and up the hill, now getting a bit of welcome wind assistance.
A wide left onto Compton Lane which is still more like a bridleway in places and back into the wind, dodging the dog walkers and getting smoked by a bloke on an e-MTB. :ohmy:
More horses and riders followed, before the turn back onto Holme Farm Lane at Rigton Green and more horsists and back along through the woods to Jewitt Lane with yet more horsey sorts. After Hetchell Woods it was like I had the Grand National bearing down on me - there must have been 15-20 horses and riders in a group. It's not uncommon to encounter horsey types out that way as there are a couple of stables but I've never seen as many out as I did today. Maybe lots of people got a horse for Christmas? ^_^

The drop down off the ridge was as quick as ever and then into Thorner and up to home the long way round via Carr Lane, the A58 and Coal Road.

15.01 miles (24.15 km) in 1h 13m at an average of 12.3 mph with 784 ft climbed and an average temperature of 7.7°C

All good and a nice way to round out the year, taking me to 2,521 miles for the year.
There were a lot of cyclists out today including a couple of club rides which I hadn't expected to see.
Despite the mildish temperatures that wind was a beast a times and I was glad I didn't have to battle too far into it.
Mind you, all those horses leave an awful lot of evidence that they've been there, if you know what I mean...;)

And to end, the map:
31122018.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
After my 200+km yesterday, I was still about 200km short to achieve my #Festive500/status. Only one thing for it: Get back out on the bike and get a 203.6km ride done!

*Caveat: Assisted in huge Proportions at the 146km mark by @Cranky Knee Girl ’s extraordinary culinary skills. All the breads, cheeses, cold meats and patisseries from her productive and lively kitchen you could have wished for were laid out. Her assistant (9 year old niece) shoved a freshly baked super-niece cake my way and I powered my way to the Arrivée. Very pleased.

Corrupt GPX file sent me up here for some action.
988DFD42-D1E8-49AD-8AD9-6748ACEC979A.jpeg

Squiggly map
6E7274E0-930A-43A2-8600-B51DB2905893.jpeg

Dropping into Cheddar Gorge at dawn.
445A9045-5BDF-4086-97EA-10499B654731.jpeg

Gorgeous
35E5A4FC-D9B7-43E7-A5D9-6590F013E8B5.jpeg

That corrupt GPX file. Grrr. But I could see the sea from here, so not too bad.
3FEC2E54-1CC5-4D6F-BFDD-73619FA351CB.jpeg

Last edited:

steven1988

Veteran
Last night, I decided to take the plunge and add the new Shimano SPD pedals to my road bike ready for today’s morning ride and added the cleats to the new shoes.

Did a very pedal-conscious loop out to Worksop and I’m pleased to say I didn’t fall over once probably because I was concentrating so hard on my feet. I clipped in and out easily enough and even beat some personal bests on the route, possibly due to going clipless.

I’m sure in future rides when the complacency sets in, I’ll forget to unclip and unceremoniously (and likely in slow motion) fall over when stopped.

I’m holding off adding my other new set of SPD pedals to the MTB until after the New Year’s Day club ride as... er... I haven’t got time until Wednesday. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

Why isn't there a dislike button just for the last paragraph

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Last ride of 2018 and first ride of 2019 to report!
I left home just before midnight to head to the Glasgow Green cyclist counter - tagging @Katherine because she asked what it was, now I've got pictures.
I had this fancy to be the number one cyclist recorded in 2019, which, of, course, resulted in simultaneously being the last in 2018 because there was not another soul on a bike about.
Hardly any pedestrians too, just the roads full of speeding taxis.
As I type, it is still a lovely, warm night, you can see the counter stating 10 degrees.
I would have stayed out longer, but was a bit worried about my cat being home alone with the noise of fireworks.
There is usually a big firework display on the main square, organized by the council, but I did not see any this year, strange.
Strava did not record my return, because I did not bring my glasses, pressed the wrong button ... haha!
Anyway, here's the pictures, happy new year 2019 to all!
IMG_20190101_000032441.jpg
IMG_20190101_000339556.jpg
IMG_20190101_000452136.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I left home just before midnight to head to the Glasgow Green cyclist counter - tagging @Katherine because she asked what it was, now I've got pictures.
I had this fancy to be the number one cyclist recorded in 2019, which, of, course, resulted in simultaneously being the last in 2018 because there was not another soul on a bike about.
As I type, it is still a lovely, warm night, you can see the counter stating 10 degrees.
I would have stayed out longer, but was a bit worried about my cat being home alone with the noise of fireworks.
There is usually a big firework display on the main square, organized by the council, but I did not see any this year, strange.
Strava did not record my return, because I did not bring my glasses, pressed the wrong button ... haha!
View attachment 444990 View attachment 444991 View attachment 444992

You really are number 1. No one can take that from you. Happy new year.

gavgav

Guru
View attachment 444990 View attachment 444991 View attachment 444992
Well done Pat. Happy New Year to you.

Top Bottom