Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
With yesterday's ride I hit some significant targets:
  • 4000 miles for 2018
  • 35 imperial centuries (equal to last year)
  • 100 imperial centuries since recording rides on GPS
Here's the route - something of a smörgåsbord of local favourites:

18Dec27m.JPG

Outwards on the Tewkesbury road under cover of darkness, then anticlockwise around both loops - 110.6 miles.

It was desperately drab and dull, but in the absence of any discernable wind, frost or rain that's easily forgivable. There were cyclists everywhere taking full advantage, hardly surprisingly.

I'm still mulling over my choice for the best ride of the year thread, but this was never going to be it. Even so, there were moments, especially a road new ro me out of Upton which after an initial steepish rise settled down with an inspiring view of the Malverns dead ahead. It'll be good to see that again on another day - it couldn't've been successfully photographed yesterday.

So far this year I've managed to do at least one ride of 100km or more each month but I'd not had a chance to do this month's so far. So, once the mist had lifted and visibility had improved, I was out of the house at midday with a rough route in my head.

It started well with a regular run out to Great Bealings via Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldringfield and Little Bealings, but it was as I was approaching Grundisburgh that the plan almost fell apart.

Most of the roads I'd used were damp, but with that awful surface dressing whereas the right hander on the B1079 was damp/greasy with smooth asphalt/tarmac which gave less grip and my front wheel slid out from under me at just under 20mph and I went down on my right knee, hip & elbow while my left thumb got wrenched as the bars twisted. Thankfully no damage to the bike apart from scuffing to the derailleur and both silver plastic trim pieces on the brifters (the screw securing the trim was pulled from the left one operating the front brake and needs replacing). I was more annoyed that the DHB Windblock tights I was wearing had been holed on the knee & hip and would need to be thrown out!

Once I'd picked myself & the bike up, checked everything was working and assured the rather surprised driver who was following me that I was OK, I carried on with the planned ride to Ashbocking and then up to Debenham via Helmingham, across to Stowmarket via Mickfield and then the back road to Needham Market and home via Claydon, Bramford, Ipswich & Bucklesham where the mist was starting to form again as the sun went down...
View attachment 444269
The total in the end was just under 64 miles - 20 before the off and another 44 afterwards!!
The ride stats:
View attachment 444270
Once home I had a long soak in a hot bath to help with the injuries
As above, a like for the ride! Heal well and quickly.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another early one. Out at 7 into the dark, so dark that I had my garmin on indoor ride setting......

The first mistake though was to decide on taking my mountain bike, I had planned on riding my Spa, but being stupid....

Jeez, it was as sticky as a fly paper. I am such an idiot. Across the fields to Caldecott, then Bourn and Longstowe, then along the A1198 for a stretch, then a bridle way behind Longstowe. That was like glue. My bike gummed up and I had to stop.

I had to work it out with a pencil...

2FF65EE0-1DC1-49DB-9035-D8EFBCC1F0DE.jpeg

D792FFB3-089B-4892-8B19-4D162D9DEBF9.jpeg

10A6F45D-E17E-4FB0-942F-21D3DC7345E4.jpeg

I scraped about 6” of crap off one side of the rear tyre, big mistake! For the next 5 minutes the rear of my bike pulsed as the 6” scraped bit freed up. That filled up with mud again and the pulsing stopped.

The track from the Red House was downright dangerous. The tyres I have on are crap in wet, sticky mud. The front was sliding all over, the back going in the opposite direction. This was bearable until the front wheel was sliding unexpectedly into deep ruts that I was trying to avoid. Still, I came out alive, unlike some poor locals
B94AC2F8-FE78-4F9B-A429-967E3A407686.jpeg

One less hare.

Home after about 15 unenjoyable miles to commit the cardinal sin of pressure washing my bike:ohmy:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thursday morning ride with the club, 68 mile loop, was a bit nippy first thing but did warm up a bit later, we had two puctures about 40 miles in, then another one 10 miles from home, None of them where mine so that was good. Myself and one of the other guys missed a turning, that will teach us not to go of the front,^_^ We picked them up again a bit further on, just as they where repairing the third puncture, I did not hang around for this one as it was my boys birthday, The family and friends where waiting in the pub for me. So myself and one other made our way home, was a good ride with great company, we did pick up a stray rider just before Toot hill who rode with us for a few miles. This ride completed my goal of 7000 miles for the year, A grand total of 7,067.2 miles, It's been a great year for me, looking forward to next year.:okay:

veloveiwer..PNG

View attachment 444309

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A nice loop out through Virginia Water, through the park then home via Sunningdale and Chobham. 22 miles done with just over 300m of climbing makes more climbing in December than any other month this year.
After a few extra miles into town with the lad, I'm now only 7 miles away from 8,000 for the year.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
:notworthy:Well done @Jenkins . These challenges are rather compulsive, aren't they? Great commitment to the cause.

I got my 3,000 miles for the year today, nipping out with a clubmate (Paul) for a cheeky little 29 miler out to Frampton and Arlingham and back. Blasted away the cobwebs and made me feel I've earned my meal out tonight with friends. It's 50/50 whether I'll be able to do the club ride on Sunday, so that might be it for the year for me now.

Happy New Year everyone.:cheers:

Old jon

Guru
Another session with the physioterrorist, so another early start. It was still dark! And I noticed my front light was not so very efficient, it needs a bit of a hood fitting. You may infer, correctly, that I do very little riding in the dark. But I will fix the light.

Leeds Bridge has been reopened to traffic in both directions just recently, which may explain why Crown Point Road was relatively quiet this morning. Crossing the river and riding along the side of the bus station was five minutes quicker than it has been this last year or so. Anyway, after the appointment I rode away through areas that I knew well fifty odd years back but could easily lose myself in now. Interesting. Found my way to the southern end of Coal Road, pedalled along that to Skeltons Lane and turned right. Turn right again when Thorner Lane is reached, left onto the A 64 and shortly turn right towards Scholes. The last couple of miles have been fairly flat, but the route now starts to rise and fall a bit, and in unexpected ways. I normally ride this in the opposite direction, oh, and I am riding the fixed which, err, accentuates gradients somewhat. So it all feels like a totally new to me route, loads of fun. Down through the village, up the rise to Barwick and enjoy the long descent all the way to the bridge over Cock Beck.

Then the road rises again. Intermittent alteration of gradient ( did I really type that? ) all the way to Aberford. Turn right to travel south towards Micklefield and right again at the crossroads, onto the B 1217 to head towards Garforth. Straight on to Micklefield, the A63 and then Garforth was an option, but I have not ridden a fixed down Garforth Cliff this century. It can wait until a little more fitness returns. Follow the Wakefield road through Swillington and across river and canal to Woodlesford. And the right turn to ride up the hill past the railway station. I was not looking forward to that, much. Still, after riding to the top things level out and lungs start working again. At the end of Holmsley Lane turn right and ride to the confusion of roundabouts and junctions that offer many different ways to reach the same place. Hunslet. Eventually, turn left to pass what was once the parish church, a lot of folk worship at the Morrissons opposite. Navigate around the end of the moor, near the Light Railway, and head for home. Just shy of 28 miles, a thousand feet of up tells you it was flat. The grin at the end is a fixture, lets say it was for the weather today.

The map may explain . . .

28122018.jpg

very little indeed.

colly

Re member eR
Out between 10 and half past. No real plan in mind but I thought maybe I would make it a long one out to Selby and York. That didn't happen because on the spur of the moment I turned off the Selby Road and went south to CasVegas, thinking I would take in some unridden roads and do a bit of exploring. TBH it didn't go too well. The road I thought would get me out towards Knottingley ended in a dead end village. Fryston. Dead end as in it goes nowhere....Actually dead end as in every meaning of the phrase by the looks of the place. Lots of new houses going up there so maybe it will be 'the place to be' in coming years but somehow I doubt it. I nearly came off on an unexpectedly sharp bend at Ferry Fryston. My fault entirely for not paying attention. Just as well there were no cars behind me or coming round the bend the other way.
So I back-tracked a way and took a road that led me thought the a**e end of Castleford and into Glasshoughton, which in times past had it's own colliery and coking plant. To say it used to be a grimy, little place would be a massive understatement. I used to drive through there in the late 1970's shortly after I moved north and I swear you could barely see the actual windows on some on the houses by the side of the road and adjacent the railway crossing.
It's different now but still busy in a different way.
I made for Leeds, got in position on the roundabout and.......ended up in the car park of Asda.:cursing: So a slow crawl amongst the shoppers and finally back on track.

Methley came and went and into Woodlesford. I could have turned for home just before Swillington and the temptation was strong because it was a dreary day but I stuck with it and made my way up to Garforth and eventually Aberford. Into Bramham and a quick right /left saw me heading down towards Collingham.
A58 then back in the direction of Leeds but hooked a left up Jewitt Lane.
I was on my geared bike and somehow that climb seems more tiring with gears than without. Must be all in the mind. Through the lanes into Thorner then
Bramley Grange, Red Hall and down Wellington Hill to home.
Pleased to get home but still glad I went out even though the ride was uninspiring and while it wasn't raining it was as drab a day as you could (not) wish for.

46.5 miles and about 2300ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30480910

Last edited:
I decided to do a little hill-conquering today. OK, to a lot of you they really would be little hills, but to me...

Out from central Tavistock, straight up Bannawell Street and Butcher Park Hill, on the Lydford road. That was one of the hills done, right off. Good!
Then out to just past the Chillaton turn, then right. Thislittle road meets with a similar lane that starts just below the church on the tor at Brentor, just past Dartmoor Gliding Club.
From there, it's a case of just following the road round in a wide loop, heading back down toward the A386 near Pitts Cleeve. Lose all the elevation gained in one go, then turn off onto Old Exeter Road, and join NCN27 back into Tavy. Follow until the Council Offices, then loop back under the viaduct and up onto it to join NCN270. First stop:
DSC00204.JPG

Looking down on Tavy, south side of the viaduct, just yards from my start point below.
DSC00205.JPG

Looking north from the same point, toward the loop I'd just completed.

Then along the Viaduct Walk to the west end of town, then down very steeply through Monksmead, and cross the canal by Tavistock College. Thence along the footpaths to the roundabout by Morrisons. Over the crossing into Bishopsmead, follwing NCN27 again, now Drake's Trail. Next stop:
DSC00208.JPG

Near the north end of Grenofen tunnel, looking north.

DSC00210.JPG

And south to the tunnel mouth. Really BIG tunnel for a single track. It would take 25kV electrification without any work at all...It's also home to a large bat colony, which is why there's a large metal structure in the roof toward the southern end.

Next stop, Gem Bridge.
DSC00212.JPG

This was taken after crossing in the uphill direction. I always cross quickly, as I've no head for heights, and it's 30-some metres to the river...
DSC00213.JPG

Onward to the bottom of the hill at Leg O'Mutton (yes, really). This hill is a relatively short, very steep killer. Decided I would try it. I've never made it up without walking. Stopped twice, but got up by pedalling! Another couple of goes, I might do it in one.
Onward to the roundabout at Yelverton, and turn around, only another half mile or so.

Here's what that hill looks like from near the top.
DSC00214.JPG

Might not look much, but from the point I took the photo, I remounted and was over 10mph before I'd got myself fully settled. It's steep. And strewn with leaf and tree debris. If you could guarantee a clean path with no peds, sheep, cows, horses, or other cyclists, 40+mph would be a certainty.

Largely downhill all the way back, always a nice rest.
18.96 miles, av. 9.0, 1556ft elevation gain.
Quite pleased with myself!
:smile:
Edit: forgot to say that the return route went straight back into town on 27, rather than retracing 270 through Monksmead. This estate is built on a slope that cars go up in first gear. I've nearly conked out pushing a bike up there. I've never seen anyone ride it.

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
I took my new road bike out for its first ride today. It's the lightest bike that I've owned and the tyres are the skinniest, at times it felt a bit strange as if I was riding on thin air. I also noted that it requires more focus than my other bike and more effort to go in a straight line! By the time I'd been up quite a steep hill 5 miles from home, I was really overheating and gasping for air. I find Sram's claim that the Apex compact double offers a greater range than many triple cranksets a little disingenuous but I don't mind the higher gearing. The bike is meant for speed so taking away the option to spin up hills will make me ride faster in the long run.
Last year I saw a Thorn Nomad go for £230 on a Christmas day eBay auction so I was on the lookout for a bargain and got this for £99. I've been curious about road bikes for a while and I don't think that I could have bought a faster bike for that price. The frame is Reynolds 531 but surprisingly light and comfortable, the wheels feel very stiff which I found reassuring while making a twisting descent. The bars are being replaced with Sakae Road Champion drops. It wasn't a lot faster up or down the hills but on the way back home there is a long incline where the bike really excelled over my touring road bike in terms of speed, I think that is where the biggest gains are to be had until I've done more climbs with this bike.
IMG_20181228_131254.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A 35 mile loop for me in Shropshire in the company of @Rickshaw Phil.

I've been stopping in my brother's holiday lodge outside Shrewsbury for Christmas, so Phil did a little matter of 10 extra miles to meet me.

Forgetting my cycle shorts meant the ride was going to be a test of my Spa leather saddle, curiously enough the same model Phil has.

Let's just say I won't be riding far without cycle shorts in future.

Rear discomfort and possibly some post-Christmas tiredness meant I wasn't feeling the love today as much as I usually do.

I really wasn't up for the climb known in the 100 climbs book as Wrekin.

Deploying all available electrons, I managed to whirr my way to the top.

Our destination was Iron Bridge, which we reached in time for an early lunch in a cafe opposite.

Coffee and a toastie, sorry, pannini, was £10, but we both agreed the food was good quality and the premises were, er, toastie warm.

Phil took us back via a flatter, valley route, although that came at the cost of more motor traffic.

We stopped at a cafe a few miles from home, but thoughts of another cuppa were dashed when the lass declined to serve us at 2.50pm because 'we shut at three and everything is switched off'.

As we finished the cold drink we had with us outside, a car full of people were turned away as we had been, as were a group of walkers.

No doubt opening during the holiday has its frustrations, but that cafe would have served an extra 10 or so covers had they been prepared to work right up to the advertised closing time.

I was suitably refreshed by the stop, so was able to cover the last few miles at a pace I'd hoped to manage for the full ride.

No records set today, but the weather was kind and the company was good.

Here's a link to the Wrekin climb: http://shrophills.blogspot.com/p/the-wrekin.html

Top Bottom