Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. Aravis

Aravis No Regret

Exactly right, about 8 miles from the hills. I expect you know the very gate!

C R likes this.
  2. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Thanks.

3. gavgav

gavgav Guru

Well done for perseverance and completing the challenge for another year. No mean feat!! :notworthy:

Pat "5mph" and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  4. C R

C R Über Member

I do indeed. The lunchtime circuit I cycle when working from home goes past that gate. I think I may have posted a similar view at some point. It is a great place to take a rest and just enjoy the view of the Malverns.

I have been thinking of trying a loop up to Stratford, and your route has given me some ideas.

5. Dry.

As we were forecast rain, definitely, certainly and abundantly, this was quite a nice surprise.

Now I've said that it'll piddle it down this afternoon, just you wait and see.

6. galaxy

galaxy Über Member

Last night was amazing after the day we had. Had a ride round Leominster and through the park. Got some fish n chips n went home

Old jon, Pat "5mph", Donger and 6 others like this.
  7. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

Went out to run some errands on the bike this morning. I managed to complete one before the sky went black. And I had forgotten my lights :banghead:

Old jon, Pat "5mph", Donger and 7 others like this.
  8. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

I thought I would post (somewhat belatedly), last Sunday's ride

I'm in a little WhatsApp group of cyclists but it's noticeable as the weather gets colder and wetter, the cry-off excuses get louder. Only Wayne and me out in some light drizzle. Forecast was for it to improve (we'll see)

Route was Glossop - Marple - Poynton - Macclesfield - Bollington - Blaze Hill - Disley - Marple - Glossop

Plan was a fairly rolling outbound into the headwind, then a hilly return with hopefully a tailwind. All fairly uneventful out to Macc...the rain stopped and it was mild enough. Decent December conditions. Around the backs and then café in Bollington. Now Bollington is a bit posh and the café prices reflect this. But only one café open on a Sunday morning (by the canal) and it was rammed. I couldn't resist the frittata. Can't believe what arrived. It was massive

[​IMG] upload_2018-12-6_17-20-34.png

I managed to see it off though

Then Blaze Hill, the biggest climb of the ride. It's sort of steep....then shallow.....then steep again. Then lots of up and down back to Disley and then Marple. We got passed by an eMTBer......we kept catching him on the flatter stuff but he glided away effortlessly up the hills

One more climb our of Marple Bridge. By then I was really feeling knackered. It wasn't too hard a ride....was it the frittata lying heavily? It certainly felt like it. Wayne only had scrambled egg on toast and he was fine. Left me for dust up the hill. Back home and proper tired (and wet....it rained and rained on the way home despite the dry forecast). 52 miles with 4,500ft of climbing. Definitely enough

9. Rickshaw Phil

A quick run on one of my local loops today: Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Pitchford, Cantlop, Condover and back the short way up the main road.

I kept it short not knowing what the legs would be like after Tuesday but they were fine and I got on at a good pace. I had a fairly brisk headwind on the way to Longnor but it didn't feel too bad to ride into, however when I turned towards Acton Burnell and had it behind me I was able to fairly scoot along (20 mph on the flat:hyper:)

Other vehicles were notable by their absence on the lanes which suits me nicely - I probably only saw about five in the middle ten miles.

At Cantlop I had to turn back towards the wind for a little while then while entering Condover was overtaken in a bit of a silly place (although they did give me plenty of room to be fair). Just around the corner I found the car stuck because they'd pulled up too close behind another motorist who'd pulled up too close behind a parked car while waiting for another vehicle to come the other way and couldn't swing round without backing up a bit. While they sorted that out among themselves I nipped past.:whistle:

I had the wind behind me for the blast up the main road towards home which is always a nice way to finish off. There was a recovery vehicle parked en-route which was picking up the rather battered remains of a VW Golf. From what I could see it had been on its roof at some point so I expect that will be a write off. Nothing on the local paper's website about it so I'm assuming nobody was badly hurt.

23.9 miles this trip at 13.8 mph average. Enjoyed that and felt buzzing with energy at the end of it.^_^

No photos this time as too busy :bicycle:.

10. The_Weekend_Report_Guy

The_Weekend_Report_Guy Pablo's Cycling Tours

I been busy riding...

Yesterday was an intervals day.. but in between them I managed to take a few pics.

3×20 minutes at tempo pace with 5 minutes rest in between…

1st 20, pee, drink and photo stop.

47575639_1911588205603257_410766613445345280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

2nd 20 and during the 5 min rest I spotted this… Normally I come down really fast here.

47680849_1911588238936587_670188792811880448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

3rd and final 20… Pee again, eat, drink and photo..

47355501_1911588215603256_5294347555180642304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

After those series I had to do some stupid unders and overs and normally I get all confused with them.
    Was like 7 min under and 1 over… another 6 and 1… 5 min rest, 3 times.

1st? Who knows..!!!

47577612_1911588315603246_6770890408839872512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

After that one there were no more pics and I headed home doing the intervals..

Strava says : https://www.strava.com/activities/2002954416

To finish a group passed me before town on country roads without saying Hola or anything… Disrespectful..! Chased them.. Jumped on their climber wheel… Dropped him before town… That will teach them not to say hi to the fat guy…

1f609.png

11. The_Weekend_Report_Guy

The_Weekend_Report_Guy Pablo's Cycling Tours

No training planned so it was a social ride with the guys.. Chilly morning to start.. Like 11 C so we decided to head up the hills from the go..

47400359_1912773838818027_8638782290144526336_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

Almost immediately I noticed the clouds underneath us.. That was a first for me.

48125605_1912773848818026_4815084236363005952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

We were not that high up but the clouds were low enough for us to get above them rally quick

47493491_1912773825484695_8429781025378271232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

We then reached the next time over and the views were breathtaking for me..

47688485_1912773938818017_2276453686173499392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

This is more likely the best shot of the morning.. At least to me.

47382926_1912773962151348_8371877225481371648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

Happy faces before we headed down from the mountain town.

47682000_1912774022151342_1139629620207812608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.jpg

Coming down was tricky.. Wet, foggy and fast.. Well the fast part not much for me but still took it really easy..

Strava said: https://www.strava.com/activities/2004597503

And we still have Saturday and Sunday to come..!

12. 8mph

8mph Well-Known Member

25 miles around the Wiltshire lanes, no jacket needed and a tailwind home, lovely.

13. Rickshaw Phil

Out again today, taking advantage of a gap in the weather. I decided to do one of my lesser used routes: Lyth Hill, Little Lyth, Exford's Green, Plealey, Pontesbury, Habberley, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Leebotwood, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back the short way.

It's breezier out today with a chilly wind but there was more sunshine which was good. The A49 was busy so I had a bit of a wait to get on it and a longer wait to get off (a right turn off the road so I thought it prudent to pull in to the left until there was a gap.)

I was going against the wind all the way to Pontesbury so wasn't quick. A bit of traffic about and some discourteous driving - a little red car gave me all of 6 inches clearance even though the road was completely clear and they could have used as much room as they liked.:headshake: In Pontesbury I managed to get my roads mixed up and ended up doing a tour round the village. Ah well, it should stick in the mind properly for next time.

After Pontesbury the scenery changes a bit and it feels very remote. I found the lanes a little busier than expected on the way to Pulverbatch. The dampness under wheel was pretty much as expected though (big puddles and water running across in many places) so the bike is due another wash.

I caught a tractor on the downill section after Smethcott then had to cross the A49 again at Leebotwood before heading northwards for home. The two fords on the old roman road are quite full and the unofficial third one seems to be becoming a permanent fixture.

I met a few other cyclists around the Longnor area (always good to see) then found that the wind I'd hoped would be helping me home wasnt! It wasn't too bad as far as Ryton but after that slowed me down a fair bit and on the run from Condover up to the A49 I was only able to do 11 or 12 mph where 18 to 20 had been an easy cruise yesterday.

26.6 miles at 11.9 mph average this time. Edit to add: I've realised that this ride takes me over 6,000 miles for the year to date. Another ride of similar length will take me beyond my highest ever annual mileage.:hyper:

PC070191.JPG
    At the crossroads near Annscroft. The flag gives a good idea of the wind today.

PC070193.JPG
    At Pontesbury.

PC070194.JPG
    The Mytton Inn at Habberley. For those who aren't familiar with the area; "Mad" Jack Mytton was a famous local character who was a notorious gambler, drunkard and (briefly) MP for Shrewsbury and his bizzarre exploits are the stuff of legend. Quite a few pubs share his name.

PC070195.JPG
    Pontesford Hill looks almost alpine from this angle.

PC070199.JPG
    Overlooking Lawn Farm on the way to Pulverbatch.

PC070200.JPG
    Pulverbatch

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  14. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

An early downpour put Pete M off but my radar said it would be good in 15 mins. And it was. Blue skies and sunshine. I climbed straight out of the box to the top of the Wyche Cutting to arrive in Colwall just as Pete rolled up. Pete fancied a Trumpet visit so I dodged us back and forth to add a few miles before we arrived at The Nest. Some pals of Pete's were there so a catch up ensued. Eventually refreshments could be had.

We took the Falcon Lane run to Leddington and on around the southern end of the Hills for a Castlemorton route for home. We had to stop and shelter from a severe hailstorm for a short while as it blew through. We'd hidden behind a parked van and when the driver appeared he was amused at our choice. "You can't move till the shower is over" was my plea. But it had stopped so we thanked him and rode on. Pete headed for the crossing of the Hills while I decided to add a few extra miles by Pixham Ferry. Good outing despite the hail. 51 smiles

15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Time to winterise my static caravan which includes bringing my winter bike home for the, er, winter.

As it was already in the boot of the car, I decided to go for a short tootle around York.

The idea was to park near the Minster and ride to the Cycle Heaven bike shop and cafe for lunch, and a gawp at all the shiny new bikes they have in there.

Seems to me York is permanently strangled with motor traffic which may explain the two volleys of motorist/cyclist abuse I received on the way to the shop.

Partly my fault, I hacked through the busy Shambles central area, rather than use the riverside path, which I did on the way back.

My grasp of York geography is less than firm, but I didn't go badly wrong in either direction.

Plenty of water in the Ouse as this pic shows - much more than a shower down here and the bank floods.

IMG_0041.JPG

One cannot go to York without taking a pic in front of the Minster, but this one is a sad sign of the times.

Since my last visit, a row of large concrete blocks has been plonked outside - presumably as a deterrent to motor vehicle terrorism.

IMG_0042.JPG

The ride must have been all of three (dead flat) miles, but I rather enjoy carving through a busy city on a bike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice