Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two slowish rides today as a wind down after 10 consecutive days of commuting. Firstly a shopping run on the 29er into Felixstowe (Tesco, Lidl) , home to empty the backpack and back out again for the second load (Morrisons) https://www.strava.com/activities/2030219548
Then, after a relaxed coffee & toast break, it was back out for an unhurried trip into Ipswich and back taking advantage of the late afternoon bright & sunny conditions https://www.strava.com/activities/2030219608

Mr Celine

Discordian
I took advantage of a break in chr*stmas shopping and some reasonable weather to get in my first ride apart from commutes for a fortnight. After about a mile something didn't feel quite right but it took another five minutes before I realised I'd forgotten to put on my overshoes and feet were feeling draughty. By this time I couldn't be bothered going back to get them and I actually managed 25 miles before one of my toes froze up. Once back home it took as long to thaw out as it had taken to freeze in the first place.
Even on a relatively mild winter's day what in summer is a quick ride before dinner seemed a major challenge. It also felt a bit like old times as I never saw another cyclist on the whole 30 mile circuit.
There's no view from the road at the summit of the Swire climb but a short walk from the col up the Witchie Knowe is always rewarding. Looking north, back the way I'd come -

IMG_20181222_145726[1].jpg

and the descent to the south -

IMG_20181222_145710[1].jpg

By the time I got back to Selkirk it was beginning to get dark, apart from the floodlights shining on the egg chasing game. I took a small detour to see what was going on and to watch the game over the fence.
Then back home and rewarded myself with some recent holiday booty.

IMG_20181222_183035[1].jpg

Today's map -

upload_2018-12-23_0-17-19.png

30 miles @ 12.2 mph 2023 feet up and down.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Rolling, rolling....

What a great place even if it was cold at 9 am temperature said 6 C Brrrr… Not used to this temps anymore but on the bright side it was clear, sunny and dry.

Had a few guys that are not used to ride long distances and much less to keep a high pace. I was controlling it most of the time and did the 100 km at the front. Fun day!

The guys on the only climb of the day.

48418031_1934465176648893_1212080281062735872_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And our highest point of the road right ahead.. We turned left before that mountain.

48407344_1934465166648894_2988824070058934272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And a well earned refreshment drink before heading home… Made the 800 meters before I got home
1f609.png

48419515_1934490379979706_6448545622852108288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Strava says: https://www.strava.com/activities/2029778637

Today? Today I decided to take the day off in order to start the Rapha challenge with fresh legs tomorrow and use this to close an amazing year on the bike and off the bike.

P.S: was reading between previous posts and have to agree with whoever wrote that this thread is hidden and takes forever to find if you never post in it before. Just a recommendation for whoever has the power to pin it at the top of some forum?? Just an idea..

C R

Guru
Rolling, rolling....

What a great place even if it was cold at 9 am temperature said 6 C Brrrr… Not used to this temps anymore but on the bright side it was clear, sunny and dry.

Had a few guys that are not used to ride long distances and much less to keep a high pace. I was controlling it most of the time and did the 100 km at the front. Fun day!

The guys on the only climb of the day.

View attachment 443547

And our highest point of the road right ahead.. We turned left before that mountain.

View attachment 443548

And a well earned refreshment drink before heading home… Made the 800 meters before I got home View attachment 443549

View attachment 443550

Strava says: https://www.strava.com/activities/2029778637

Today? Today I decided to take the day off in order to start the Rapha challenge with fresh legs tomorrow and use this to close an amazing year on the bike and off the bike.

P.S: was reading between previous posts and have to agree with whoever wrote that this thread is hidden and takes forever to find if you never post in it before. Just a recommendation for whoever has the power to pin it at the top of some forum?? Just an idea..

It has been a sticky for a couple of weeks now

IMG_20181223_104316.jpg

Blue skies and "chilly" temps to start… Long sleeve jersey but shorts was enough for me.

First pic of the day along the 2nd climb of the day.

View attachment 442029

After that we have a few rollers before we climb into the town of Casarabonela, someone will remember this town

View attachment 442030

The group reaching the switchbak in town

View attachment 442031

Some climb faster than others.. The switchback in town

View attachment 442032

After that I took off and catch up with the group and passed them to reach another picture point, if you pay close attention and squint a bit you can see them coming down the hill..

View attachment 442033

Salvi was leading part of the group up the hill… MY HERO!

View attachment 442034

We then reached the top of the hill and came down because it was windy and cold at the top of Puerto Martinez.. I went down the hill first because I know another spot to take some pics… Love the view..!

View attachment 442035

View attachment 442036

Then it was time to eat something and refill bottles before we headed home

View attachment 442037

Just in case someone doesn’t know who I am by now.. I am the fat guy big guy at the front… Planet X jersey.

Strava said: https://www.strava.com/activities/2007936833

There is another 30 pics or so linked to the activity or at the FB page if you want to look at them.

Week is over now: 338 km, 5500 meters of climbing in 13 hours… I am going to sleep now.
Wow Easy to see why Salvi is your hero. Very inspirational indeed.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: I had a bit of a slow start so wasn't ready until after lunch. Having seen @gavgav's ride writeup and mention of some dozy driving in the morning I changed from the route I had in mind to keep on some quieter cycleways and lanes, even if it meant treading very familiar ground.

The route was: into Shrewsbury and round the centre, Uffington, Upton Magna, Withington, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back via Condover and Lyth Hill.

The start was slow as there were people heading for the football match (Town won :okay:) but once past that I had a pretty clear run to Porthill and into The Quarry. The river hasn't risen as I'd expected so was full to the bank but no more. The flood gates at Greyfriars bridge were locked so I had to reroute past the Abbey again. Passing the tree that was being cut down on Sydney avenue I see from the stump that the heart of it was rotten and hollowed out which explains why it needed to go.

Heading out to Upton Magna I took a left in the village and headed for Withington. There weren't many vehicles along these lanes and those I did meet had polite drivers; something that continued throughout the trip.^_^ Instead, the issue I had to face was the wet roads with lots of standing water about and the odd minor flood across the road (I didn't realise it had rained that much.

From Cressage I was riding into the wind. So progress wasn't particularly quick. Something that spurred me on was noticing that there were recent tracks from a bicycle on the dry bits of road. I did eventually spot the other cyclist in the distance and over the next couple of miles reeled them in until we reached the last climb before Acton Burnell where the other rider looked back and noticed me, whereupon he put in a bit of effort and the gap stayed the same as far as the village where he turned right and I went left.

The wind I was riding into seemed to have strengthened on the way to Longnor then, being due westerley, didn't really help much when I turned northwards for home. I gave way to a horse and rider that I met where the lane was narrowed to a thin strip by standing water and got grateful thanks off the rider as the horse apparently doesn't like getting her feet wet and gets spooked by vehicles splashing through.

I wasn't sure how busy the main road would be so finished off going over Lyth Hill as the light faded.

35.2 miles at 12.7 mph average.

I took the good camera with me but didn't spot much I wanted to photograph this time:

PC220228.JPG

Longden Coleham from Victoria Avenue - the river is full but hasn't come as high as I thought.

PC220229.JPG

The water fowl seem to like the water being on the tow path.

PC220230.JPG

I liked the gift-wrapped front door at the Hare & Hounds, Withington.

PC220231.JPG

Looking across the field to the old water mill at Walcot.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 34.5 (mostly flat) miles for me today. Our club's Christmas ride was quite well attended, with ten of us on the social ride and another five or so riding with the intermediates. We headed off through Maisemore, Hartpury and Ashleworth before turning for Upleadon and Highleadon, stopping for coffees and (in my case) a mince pie at the Trioscape Garden Centre. Great company, clear, mild weather and nice route. My new Brooks saddle was really comfortable, and I was pleased to find that I'd fixed it in the perfect position first time. I was expecting to have to keep fiddling with it to get it right. As it was our Christmas ride, there were various bike decorations on display, from tinsel and tree decorations to flashing electric tree lights. Mine was the only one featuring sleigh bells, which was probably a good thing, given the bumpy road surfaces in places. Jingled all the way. Don't think I'll be repeating that.
343 Christmas club ride.JPG

Had a couple of nice encounters with horses today. One had been fitted out with rather splendid antlers for a ride down the lane near Upleadon, and another was looking a bit bored in a field until we turned up. It pricked up its ears, took great interest in us, and started to run along level with the peloton until it ran out of field and had to turn away. I love it when they do that.
Oh well, Happy Christmas everyone. Hope Santa brings you lots of bikes and bike bits for Christmas.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
I took a 45-mile ride out over the North Wessex Downs. At first, I felt like I was flying but about 30 miles in my legs didn't want to keep pushing. I've been on a couple of shorter but intense rides on my mountain bike and my legs have been stiff for a few days since. I can't say that I enjoyed the ride much, the rain never let up and there was a headwind on the return leg.
I don't know why the cross-country rides take so long to recover from but that's me done till new year....well, maybe just a small easy ride to loosen up.
Happy Christmas to all of you, hope you have a good one!

Old jon

Guru
[QUOTE 5479140, member: 9609"]another cold cold damp dull day, but I didn't see a car in my first 20 miles

[/QUOTE]

Cold damp and dull but illuminated by those brilliant photographs! Thank you so much. And a belting Yule.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Feliz Navidad..!

Nothing just stopped by to wish you all a Merry Christmas and how can I wish you the best?

The only way I know is from the bike…!

48427776_1935788299849914_7468391349658583040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

And since we are here that pic is from this morning.. To send the 2018 with a bang I signed for the Rapha challenge and will try to get it done for the first time.

Day 1 in the books.

King Of Merry X-mas I called it in Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2032802700

Top Bottom