Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I got all set and ready to go for a ride into town on the hybrid today, all the gear on etc, the I saw my road bike, hanging on the wall looking filthy, not having been cleaned since my ride on it last week. So, I cancelled my ride and gave the roady a blumen' good clean, two hours out there, so I was.

View attachment 451056

I didn't ride it though, don't wan to get it dirty on the damp roads.
Boooo. Ride first then wash :laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Boooo. Ride first then wash :laugh:

Aye, I realised later that I should've had a quick ride first, but I was a bit pressed for time.

Mike_P

Guru
Morning off work so ebiked to Halfords for a set of chain quick links. Did not know you now need a voucher off British Cyclings web site to get the 10% discount but they knocked it off anyway. Walked out of the store, took one look at the saddle and back in for a new seat clamp collar. That fixed the loose saddle issue and the new clamp is noticeably deeper than the original which I think was part of the problem. Then to a local farm shop only to discover the had sold out of what I was after so back home and then a successful return ebike trip to work -14.3 miles in total, 892ft of the upward variety

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
51600588_1999628366799240_6621025303231725568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

Can you see Africa?

51449374_1999628350132575_13256979199819776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

51348109_1999628246799252_3285424946628526080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No work commute tonight, couldn't work out how to strap a full sized fridge to the rack so bought the van.
I managed 2.6 miles into town this morning, accompanied by some horrid noises and the inability to back-pedal. In fairness the commuter is long overdue a service given the recent weather it's been ridden in, so on the stand when I got home and a quick drivechain check and clean. Rear disc pads were as good as gone to the metal which explains the 'long' brake, I keep new spares so all done ready for tomorrow night. Turns out the chain is actually silver in colour, not brown:laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Missed out on an audax on Sunday due to snow and ice. Where has it all gone? Nice mild day in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire today, so I snuck out to get my Metric-Century-a-Month Challenge ride in for February before the Winter returns. The plan was to head out towards Malmesbury via the straightest possible route and just turn the bike around and retrace my route as soon as I passed 31 miles. I hadn't counted on road closures. Got to Frocester, prepared to take on the beast that is Frocester Hill - only to find a sign saying "Road closed - find an alternative route". That meant turning left for Kings Stanley and climbing up to Selsley Common via Middleyard. This is quite a nice climb up onto the Cotswold escarpment, going up in steps with a chance to recover in between climbs, and affording nice views towards Randwick. (Selsley Church in the foreground):
14.JPG

The last of the mini climbs on this route takes you up over a cattle grid with a punchy little steep bit that gets you gritting your teeth and counting to fifty to make it to the crest. More great views of Stroud to be had from there, while you get your breath back:
15.JPG

By the time I'd crossed Selsley Common and got to the top of Frocester Hill, there was another dreaded "Road closed" sign forcing me to detour through Nympsfield before getting back on track at Cockadilly. Then quite a smooth passage through Kingscote, Tetbury and a little road I'd never previously ridden through Shipton Moyne before I arrived in Malmesbury (Wiltshire) on just over 31 miles. I stopped and rested my backside on a well worn stone seat in this little market stall (or whatever it is) in the middle of the town, and chatted to a cyclist from Chipping Sodbury for a bit while wolfing down some snacks:
16 Malmesbury.JPG

Did a straight re-trace on my way home, spotting this little fella looking a bit wobbly on his feet in Shipton Moyne on the way:
17.JPG

Could Spring be on the way? Retraced my detour avoiding Frocester Hill, feeling more than a little weary by the time I reached Selsley Common:
18 Selsley Common.JPG

I think I overdressed today, and I had a few issues with my overshoes, one of which is really rather tatty now, and caused my foot to slip out of the straps a couple of times. Typically, this made me adjust my foot position a bit to avoid slipping, with the inevitable result that a few new aches, pains and cramps started to develop before I got home. Made it home on 62.3 miles (100.2km) 6 hours 25 mins after leaving home. A bit nackered and aching a bit, but glad to complete my 50th consecutive month of the Metric Century Challenge.
I'm going to ache tomorrow.
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
A day off work today :smile: but woke to rain and wind :sad:.weather app had a window around 1300 only had a spare hour so decided to head for the hills . Out the door at 1245 through Newtown Linford up the first climb of Sharply hill left at Old John then next left straight onto the steep ramp of Priory lane a quick descent then the other half of the climb another steep one right at the crossroads and the climbing continued up Whitcroft lane . A bit of respite from the climbing into Woodhouse Eaves then church hill before the climb past Swithland woods then I had saved the worst till last . Warren hill a hill I don't like and not sure why . It has lots of changes of gradient changes and you just can't get any rhythm on it . Back through Newtown and home 15 miles with 1575 ft of upness over a 100ft a mile is hilly for me still managed to average over 15 mph which is helped by a few quick descents a proper workout if shorter than a normal ride for me

8mph

Veteran
I left Pushkar at 9 on sandy tracks, then country roads for 4 hours before getting on the highway.
The highway was smooth and not busy, the scenery wonderful but the journey from 11am onwards was heading straight into a 15mph wind.
I didn't reach my destination and called it a day at 8pm having covered 81 miles.
IMG_20190207_085818.jpg
IMG_20190207_115412.jpg
IMG_20190207_150407_1.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I left Pushkar at 9 on sandy tracks, then country roads for 4 hours before getting on the highway.
The highway was smooth and not busy, the scenery wonderful but the journey from 11am onwards was heading straight into a 15mph wind.
I didn't reach my destination and called it a day at 8pm having covered 81 miles. View attachment 451307 View attachment 451308 View attachment 451309

Looks like you're having a fantastic adventure, there's a big bit of me that's a little jealous...

8mph

Veteran
Looks like you're having a fantastic adventure, there's a big bit of me that's a little jealous...
The benefits of being a batchelor my friend, and the best part of two years spent building while living in a 14ft caravan!
I had my panniers stolen in Delhi
when I arrived and had to buy
second hand clothes and Indian
tools.
I've yet to have a tour without any
mishaps, having my Icebreaker top, Montane jacket, lights, tools, headtoech,Specialized shorts, other merino wool items knicked along with my Garmin was
quite a loss.
Obstacles aside it's been great. I'd urge anyone who is flying abroad to take an old bike with them, it's free with some airlines.

No major roads today, a day of pootling..
When my chain started to come
apart, the bike mechanic fixed it with a hammer and other rudimentary tools and wouldn't accept payment.
40 odd miles covered.

IMG_20190208_135653.jpg
IMG_20190208_135653.jpg

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In South Wales at the moment so read this in your best Welsh valleys accent..... :laugh:

I went for a ride up the Valley see, all the way to Blaenavon. I didn't stop at the big pit but went right over the hill to Abergavenny. It was quite late now so I had to pedal on along the Usk valley to get home in time for tea. There's lovely then..... :whistle:

upload_2019-2-8_20-28-38.png

It was a late start as I watched the rain being battered against the windows by the winds all morning and much of the afternoon until it finally eased off after 2pm. I didn't set off until just after 2.30 and headed along NCN492 to Blaenavon. This is a lovely traffic free tarmac path that climbs gradually for almost the entire 10 miles. I had set off wearing over-trousers and hat but the long steady climb into a headwind soon had me puling over to remove these because I was over heating badly. Climbing up The Tumble from this side meant an easier ascent as a lot of the height gain had already been done on the cycle path. Once at the top I stopped to have a drink and an apple I had brought along just for this point. As I was getting ready to leave I looked at the sky and thought how lucky I had been with the weather. Patches of clear blue sky were showing between the dark clouds that were quickly blowing over in the strong winds, just then it started to rain!
Luckily it was just a brief shower and normal, windy, service was soon resumed as I picked up speed down the long fast drop into Abergavenny. I have only cycled this road once before, during the 2018 Velothon, and that was in the opposite direction so I can't claim to have any expert familiarity with the road. With the speed, wind and bumpy turns on the descent there was a need for just a little caution, so when the road started to get a bit twisty I backed off the land speed record attempt after hitting just over 45mph. It was a good job I did as the tight hairpin bends near the bottom were quite tricky due to the rain, debris and fallen branches littering the road.
From Abergavenny I followed the swollen River Usk back towards home. The level was very high and the river was full of branches and trees being washed downstream by the angry currents. I saw the only two other cyclists of the ride during this stretch. A hardy soul near Chainbridge, we acknowledged each others hardy awesomeness, said hi and raised a hand to each other as we passed in opposite directions (Paging @ianrauk :rolleyes:). I saw the other guy riding through Usk while I stood on the bridge watching the angry river flow by.
The last few miles took me down some mucky old farm lanes and I arrived at back just as it finally went dark. About 10 minutes after getting back the heavens opened in a big way, hail stones, rain, wind, torrential horribleness! Perfect timing, the sun always shines on the righteous :angel:

Top Bottom