Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Cold Wet and windy commute at 0530. Yuk.

8mph

Veteran
Today I cycled down the service Road of an Indian highway which looks something like this.
IMG_20190203_161923_edit.jpg

I I travelled 63 miles from Kot Putli to Jaipur. The first 15 were flat and the rest was a very gradual incline into the hills.
About half way in this happened.
IMG_20190204_122305.jpg

There was a loud bang, the handlebar jack-knifed but I didn't come off. I had a spare tyre so all 5was well. There was one more puncture after that a bit further on.

I'm 6 days into a tour from Rishikesh down to Goa, taking it slow. Today was the longest ride so far.
Here's a picture of the bike.
IMG_20190204_151747_hdr.jpg

I've taken the pressure down on both tyres slightly but I'll probably invest in a road tyre for the front wheel as the knobbly tyre keeps on getting flats.

The highway is pretty grim, lots of pollution and noise but it's kind of fun anyway. The plan is to get to the west coast and take some smaller roads.
275 miles in with another 800-900 to go.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Today I cycled down the service Road of an Indian highway which looks something like this. View attachment 450653 I travelled 63 miles from Kot Putli to Jaipur. The first 15 were flat and the rest was a very gradual incline into the hills.
View attachment 450652 There was a loud bang, the handlebar jack-knifed but I didn't come off. I had a spare tyre so all was well. There was one more puncture after that a bit further on.

I'm 5 days into a tour from Rishikesh down to Goa, taking it slow. Today was the longest ride so far.
View attachment 450655 I've taken the pressure down on both tyres slightly but I'll probably invest in a road tyre for the front wheel as the knobbly tyre keeps on getting flats.

The highway is pretty grim, lots of pollution and noise but it's kind of fun anyway. The plan is to get to the west coast and take some smaller roads.
:notworthy:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today I cycled down the service Road of an Indian highway which looks something like this. View attachment 450653 I travelled 63 miles from Kot Putli to Jaipur. The first 15 were flat and the rest was a very gradual incline into the hills.
View attachment 450652 There was a loud bang, the handlebar jack-knifed but I didn't come off. I had a spare tyre so all was well. There was one more puncture after that a bit further on.

I'm 5 days into a tour from Rishikesh down to Goa, taking it slow. Today was the longest ride so far.
View attachment 450655 I've taken the pressure down on both tyres slightly but I'll probably invest in a road tyre for the front wheel as the knobbly tyre keeps on getting flats.

Fair play to you.

Old jon

Guru
Such a very long time without a ride. The weather really has not helped, so the promise of the giddy heights of seven degrees had to be taken. I even fooled myself into thinking that many degrees was warm.

As ever the first bit is the wander around Holbeck. When the right turn onto Water Lane was taken, Otley was decided on, quite possibly ‘cos the towpath really is an easy ride. Viaduct Road followed by the ride up to Headingley was pretty good. Crossing Burley Road by the lights there needs a bit of thought. Filter right to the front and it is a steep take off when the green shines. Stop a couple of cars back and at least you are moving when you reach the steep bit. Today, on the fixed, that helped a lot. The rest is sort of climb all the way up to Lawnswood. There had been a vagrant thought to continue up to the water tower at Cookridge. I guess the legs decided against it and continued along the A 660 in the direction of Bramhope and some hard work pedalling. The last rise out of Bramhope demonstrated that the breeze was a bit stronger than I had thought and was right in my face. Well, it will be helping on the return journey then. Not many folk ask for directions these days, when asked I usually navigate by public houses. So, I turned right by the Dyneley Arms. Which seems to be no longer a pub, just like so many more. Another absent landmark. Never mind, the ride down Pool Bank was fun.

Followed by the slog into the wind towards Otley on the A 659. I was caught by another rider along here, a bit of a chat but we may have been trying too hard for a long conversation. I certainly was, the wind again. After a short stop by the maypole the delights of Leeds Road awaited. It was a little faster than the last ascent of it, probably caused by wind assistance. No complaint there. Back through Bramhope to Headingley again. The road is different in the other direction, but I maybe know it too well. Turn off right for Kirkstall and the gentle pedal back to Office Lock along the towpath again. Point the front wheel to Hunslet, turn right to escape the place and up over the motorway towards the streets to home. Twenty nine and a smidgeon miles ( wow the spell checker likes smidgeon! ) and I guess the grin was for stopping. Good ride.

The map. The little garmin still impresses the hell out of me. Maps were 'orrible when I had to learn . . .

04022019.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Coming home I used part of route 765 ? Through Rutherglen. Complete dugs dinner.
Oh you were in my neck of the woods.
Yes, 746 I think it's called, part of my commute, you're right about it being a dug's dinner!
You should have come back from Cambuslang along the Clyde, much nicer if you're not in a hurry.

pjd57

Veteran
Oh you were in my neck of the woods.
Yes, 746 I think it's called, part of my commute, you're right about it being a dug's dinner!
You should have come back from Cambuslang along the Clyde, much nicer if you're not in a hurry.
I know my way round the area well.
Lived and worked in Cambuslang and Rutherglen for many years.
I was just curious to see where the signs took me.
Lovely afternoon.

Top Bottom