Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night we went into town to meet friends at the Cambridge Blue, so I left the car at work.
This morning, once I could be bothered I rode my Spa to get it.
I went via Toft and Kingston. In Kingston a beautiful goldfinch flew along with me for 20yds. The next bird I saw was a buzzard sat atop a telegraph pole, he watched me go by.

Through the Eversdens and over into Harlton. From there it was along to Haslingfield and a left turn for Barton. The Mullard telescopes looking good in the sun
ED157DEF-593E-4300-A1B3-DF03EFF81286.jpeg

1F95EBEE-C75B-4973-A0C4-B8AB94454C23.jpeg

From Barton it was into town via Barton Road. The cycle path was awful along here, huge long cracks that could swallow a wheel, but now it’s all brand new tarmac. I didn’t use it though as the hedge had been flailed and there was all sorts of nasty spikes and splinters.

Sidgewick Avenue Plane trees looking grand. It’s normally dark o’clock when I come down here
5E492679-7812-4BCD-A297-059170978D46.jpeg

13.5 miles in the sun

https://www.strava.com/activities/2121184629

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After yesterdays very dull, though slippery ride, I decided to bring the ICE recumbent out of hibernation, after all, at least I can't fall off it^_^
Started with a similar route out as yesterday, the ice through Wentworth was much worse, but with a parking/handbrake on the back of the trike, sheet ice can be quite fun, round and round we went:laugh::laugh: After I'd grown up it was along the A30, through Englefield Green and into Windsor Great Park. A fair bit of ice around, and quite a few walkers. Went up and down the hills a few times, then a 30 mph roll down Egham Hill to home.

22.5 miles, 370m of climbing (my not very recumbent legs knew about that!). Started at -3.8C, finished at 0.9C, nice and sunny though:cold::sun:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hardly earth shattering, but I just did my first ride after my knee op on 10 January...4.3 flat miles in about 22 mins. Physio cleared me to ride if I feel ok, basically saying ok but it would be bad to fall off...so I didn't :biggrin:.
I've been in the gym every day using the static bike for a couple of weeks so thought I'd give it a go as it was dry, sunny and not too cold

Knee felt a bit wobbly and used minimal resistance. Feels ok, tbh more pain from the tendinitis in my shoulder

Back to work tomorrow...boo

gavgav

Guru
Bagged my February Half Century Challenge Ride, early, which is always a bonus this time of year.

A very frosty night meant a wait until 11:30am, when things had started to warm up a bit, before setting out with the aim of heading into Wales. It was lovely and sunny as I set out, still cold, but the bite had gone out of the wind due to it coming from a South Westerly direction. It was a strong one though, which would make for slow progress on the first half of the ride.

I began by heading to Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft and then taking the lanes to Arscott and Lea Cross. There was plenty of ice along the edges of the roads, but the cyclists line was fine.

Continued on to Yockleton, where I turned into the strengthening wind and it was a fairly unpleasant 3 mile slog, mostly uphill, on the very busy main road to Westbury. I was glad to turn off onto quieter roads, and I then had to pause at the level crossing for a train to come through from Wales.

I crossed the main A458, easily which was a surprise, at Halfway House and then took some narrower lanes, that I’d only used once before, to Wollaston and Bulthy, where I crossed the border into Wales. This section involves a good amount of climbing, but was also the most “interesting” part of the ride, due to climbing up into frozen slush and snow. I managed to negotiate it, without coming off, but there were a few moments when the back end tried to go!!

I paused at the top of the hill, before the steep descent, to appreciate the fabulous view of the snow capped Berwyn mountains. Difficult to pick out on this photo, but it’s the best I could get!

2F9ED98F-0EF2-4759-8050-FF700F049AE3.jpeg

The first part of the descent involved a very tricky section of slush/ice, but then the main hazard was crater like potholes, which were pretty awful in places. I also started to get a horrid grinding noise from the rear disc brakes, which was rather worrying and I wonder if I’m down to metal on metal? Calling @Rickshaw Phil !!

At Crew Green, I turned right onto the main road and finally had the wind behind me, which made for a much quicker section to Melverley and Pentre, where the Royal Hill pub was busy and very tempting, but I resisted! I continued to make good progress to Shrawardine and Montford Bridge, before joining the horrid main road back to Bicton and Shrewsbury, on which thankfully the traffic was well behaved, for a change.

The final section was back along the rough cycle paths and home, having really enjoyed that ride, which isn’t always the case in Winter.

33.9 miles with 1564ft of climbing, at a very slow 11.0 mph avg.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cheeky ride after this mornings work thing out to Lymm and back via Barton air field. Not massive mileage but nice to do a fun ride instead of just commuting.The steam train is not far from Warburton Toll Bridge akong thd A-57 bypass near Cadishead. Just over 33 miles which is just nice after the morning 21 mile commute
83CC2DFE-6329-456C-94E7-C86636737A9E.jpeg
282A3BD8-1D1E-4BBB-B8D6-FA574FA9612F.jpeg
A4958B18-6BCE-411E-852B-78A799719F03.jpeg
C2F236A7-E49D-4F36-8660-C6A3FCCFDF23.jpeg
ECB5CC7B-8C01-4FED-8D77-360EDBF11025.jpeg

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Just a gentle 17 this morning. Bit icy where the hedges blocked, the sun, and some lovely photo opportunities. Alas, left the camera at home. Still trying to maintain a little fitness whilst waiting for weekend days when there are no chores to be done.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
....I also started to get a horrid grinding noise from the rear disc brakes, which was rather worrying and I wonder if I’m down to metal on metal? Calling @Rickshaw Phil !!.......
It's possible since I haven't serviced it yet and your bike does eat through the rear pads. Let me know when you can bring it over so I can take a look. I'll get some new pads in regardless.:okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
10km yomp with my 9 year old today. Not a ride, so I’m expecting some flack from the Mods. Yikes! Pretty out so made the most of it.

We are quite small in The Nature.
View attachment 450325
5 Arches Railway Bridge, Radstock.
View attachment 450327
Good skills kids, but I think the local dairy farmer is going to burst an udder.
View attachment 450328
The top of our hill and almost home
View attachment 450329
I think it passes as a recce for when it's rideable :okay:

galaxy

Veteran
A mere 10 miles for me today, to ALDI and the High Street, too busy getting the bathroom ready to plaster for anything else. Good coating of snow outside now, no doubt that'll be nice and icy in the morning. Might be a very short ride tomorrow to keep the 'ride every day' challenge going..
I’d of plastered it for you if I still lived in Farnborough

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It was my brother in law's birthday today, so I took advantage of a bright & sunny afternoon to give my new Pickenflick its second proper run out to drop off a card. Nobody home as my sister had taken him out for lunch at the local Chiquito outlet (where he got quite merry on Margharitas apparently) which gave me the opportunity to get the 50k ride in for February.

Just a straight run out to Claydon through Ipswich and then back via Bramford, Sproughton, Ipswich & Bucklesham
Bucklesham Road (2).JPG
Screenshot_2019-02-03 Martin's Birthday Card Ride Strava(1).png
Screenshot_2019-02-03 Martin's Birthday Card Ride Strava.png

The one downside of today's ride - puncture number 4 of the year :cursing:

Top Bottom