Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
View attachment 453981 View attachment 453982 really mild morning so I decided to add a few miles but couldn't be bothered working out a route.
Wee detour first,, then onto the F&C canal at Lambhill and headed for the Falkirk wheel .

Only stopped for a picture and a drink, turned round and headed home.
The long straight heading to Auchinstarry on the way back wasn't too bad today .
Usually it's into a head wind with no shelter, today was bearable.
Home for 1 as instructed , then out for a pub lunch in Maryhill with my Mrs. ( The Viking, very handy for the canal if you're passing )

Flipping heck look ar the size of those rear gear hangers.

Mike_P

Guru
Amazing, day off work and the weather forecast was right for once. Pedal power today on the road bike, A59 - B6161 to Killinghall and thence A61 with a diversion through Ripley village, a nice motorist gave me the right of way at the roundabout back onto the A61 then along Nidd Lane to Nidd, then Brearton Lane and the undulating High Moor Lane to the B6165 for a quick uphill slog before turning off through Scotton and Lingerfield to Farnham, up the hill out of the village then down to Staveley in a new PR and onto Minskip
Minskip.jpg

Through Boroughbridge and after a length wait at some 3 way TTLs decided to take a break in the riverside park, strictly in Langthorpe being on the north side of the Ure. Unfortunately the direction of the sun precluded any photo of waterfall. North towards Dishforth Airfield then east across the flat levels of the Vale of York.
VoY.jpg

The level was interrupted by the sharp bridge over the A1(M) en route to Marton-le-Moor.
M-le_M.jpg

Then north to, and east along Dishforth Road passing through a virtual Monopoly square and collecting a £5 Polaris voucher (see https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5543297/) before turning south-west through Copt Hewick and Bridge Hewick to cross the Ure again just before Ripon racecourse.
Ripon Rc.jpg

The across the Ripon Canal on the timber bridge to Littlethorpe Road and onto Littlethorpe
Littlethorpe.jpg

Continuing south on the nominally eastbound route of NCN688 Way of the Roses to Bishop Monkton where I found the village has grown in a northerly direction.
Bishop Monkton.jpg

West across the A61 to Markington where the southbound route of NCN67 was picked up to continue further west up Drovers Hill in a new PR to Bishop Thornton and south-west to Shaw Mills down Mill Bank for the long up grade through Burnt Yates Crossroads before descending on the top section of the Clint Bank that comes from Birstwith. Turned off, east on Clint Bank Lane and left the route of NCN67 to descend the other Clint Bank towards Hampsthwaite from where the lengthy climb of Rowden Lane ensued to cross the A59 onto Burley Bank Road and Penny Pot Lane to head home through the country park.
40.7 miles and 1928ft climbed at an average of 12.5mph .
22-2 route.jpg
22-2 elevation.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
26 miles on the roadbike today. Clocked a few this week on the ebike but today is just the ticket for a relaxed sunny ride. Glorious sun, skylarks twittering, laughing green woodpeckers, quiet country roads...brilliant. apart from the disrespectful close pass as I neared home...shame. Great ride at no great pace.

Wow, what a glorious day in the North West! I’ve known July days with lower temperatures than today. A very rare occasion for February where shorts and a thin top were preferable compared to a warm top and full length cycling trousers.

Most of my cycling is amongst the scenic and steep local Pennine hills. My solo rides are often in the hinterlands of Rochdale, Bury, Bolton and Rossendale. Since taking early retirement nearly 2 years ago I have enjoyed building up a ‘library’ of local on road and off road routes in these areas using quiet roads, lanes and tracks. When not riding solo I cycle regularly with my chum @ColinJ who has a large and highly impressive collection of very scenic routes mainly in the high moors and villages of Forest of Bowland, Calderdale, and West Yorkshire localities.

One area of Greater Manchester I had not ridden in very much before is the low land hinterlands of Oldham, Ashton under Lyne and beyond towards the east side of Manchester. So today, I planned a 38 mile ride that had all the climbing within the first 10 miles. After that, it was a long descent followed by nearly 30 miles of flat terrain. The total traffic free proportion amounted to over 60%, all on good surfaced tracks and trails. Where roads and lanes were used these were almost entirely with very light traffic.

My route took me from Littleborough through Rochdale (via the canal towpath), High Crompton, Shaw Side, Hey Side, Moor Side, Lydgate, Springhead, Lees, Oldham (Alexandra Park), Park Bridge, Medlock Valley, Woodhouses, Clayton Vale, Newton Heath. Near Newton Heath I rode the 14 miles back to Littleborough all along the Rochdale Canal towpath (NCN route 66).

It was an excellent few hours out and if I were to give this route a title I would call it ‘Beauty and the Beast’. This is because it was a mixture of cycling by industrial wastelands together with miles of exquisitely pretty riverside and country park trails. Fascinating reminders of industrial history were evident in abundance.

After the cold snap in late January limited getting out on the bike for a couple of weeks due to the icy weather, February has been a good month for me and my total mileage since the beginning of January has now reached nearly 700. So very much looking forward to the early Spring weather continuing.
Some pictures attached.
Woodland trail.jpg
Industrial heritage near Oldham.jpg
Near Daisy Nook.jpg
Descending from high moorland towards Oldham.jpg
Towpath NCN route 66 near Newton Heath.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I got home from work and my suspicions that it was unseasonably mild were confirmed by the outdoor thermometer showing 13C. First ride of the year with exposed flesh! (3/4s but you have to start somewhere). The novelty of the heatwave wore off after a mile when I breathed in my first fly of 2019. Unfortunately it wasn't flying solo so I had to resort to breathing through my beard to try and filter them out.
I had a quick stop at Ettrickbridge for the ABC challenge -

IMG_20190222_164704[1].jpg

then headed up the swire, stopping at the top for a photo. It's not too sharp as the light was beginning to fade.

IMG_20190222_170859[1].jpg

Compare that with 9th March last year -

IMG_20180309_171047[1].jpg

On that occasion my northbound descent took 18:32 according to strava, the first half being covered by a thick layer of almost virgin snow and ice (judging by the tracks one other numpty had already tried it). Today's descent was 3:08, a rather surprising personal best. I ought to be more aero on the (summer) road bike, but the hybrid has better brakes and bigger tyres. However the deciding factor was probably that the light was fading, making it impossible to see all the pot holes, gravel on the road or my speedo.

Today's map -

upload_2019-2-22_22-53-40.png

29.7 miles @ 13.9 mph 551.7m up and down.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wow, what a glorious day in the North West! I’ve known July days with lower temperatures than today. A very rare occasion for February where shorts and a thin top were preferable compared to a warm top and full length cycling trousers.

Most of my cycling is amongst the scenic and steep local Pennine hills. My solo rides are often in the hinterlands of Rochdale, Bury, Bolton and Rossendale. Since taking early retirement nearly 2 years ago I have enjoyed building up a ‘library’ of local on road and off road routes in these areas using quiet roads, lanes and tracks. When not riding solo I cycle regularly with my chum @ColinJ who has a large and highly impressive collection of very scenic routes mainly in the high moors and villages of Forest of Bowland, Calderdale, and West Yorkshire localities.

One area of Greater Manchester I had not ridden in very much before is the low land hinterlands of Oldham, Ashton under Lyne and beyond towards the east side of Manchester. So today, I planned a 38 mile ride that had all the climbing within the first 10 miles. After that, it was a long descent followed by nearly 30 miles of flat terrain. The total traffic free proportion amounted to over 60%, all on good surfaced tracks and trails. Where roads and lanes were used these were almost entirely with very light traffic.

My route took me from Littleborough through Rochdale (via the canal towpath), High Crompton, Shaw Side, Hey Side, Moor Side, Lydgate, Springhead, Lees, Oldham (Alexandra Park), Park Bridge, Medlock Valley, Woodhouses, Clayton Vale, Newton Heath. Near Newton Heath I rode the 14 miles back to Littleborough all along the Rochdale Canal towpath (NCN route 66).

It was an excellent few hours out and if I were to give this route a title I would call it ‘Beauty and the Beast’. This is because it was a mixture of cycling by industrial wastelands together with miles of exquisitely pretty riverside and country park trails. Fascinating reminders of industrial history were evident in abundance.

After the cold snap in late January limited getting out on the bike for a couple of weeks due to the icy weather, February has been a good month for me and my total mileage since the beginning of January has now reached nearly 700. So very much looking forward to the early Spring weather continuing.
Some pictures attached.
View attachment 454078 View attachment 454079 View attachment 454080 View attachment 454081 View attachment 454078 View attachment 454079 View attachment 454080 View attachment 454081 View attachment 454082
Excellent - so excellent in fact that you just had to show us most of the photos twice! :okay:

I will finally be getting a ride in tomorrow. I would have liked to cycle today but I had to stay in because someone was coming round to pick up an unwanted dishwasher and to help me move my washing machine. (The previous owners of this house had used the normal washing machine position in the kitchen for a dishwasher, so the washing machine was in the bathroom upstairs. I didn't like that so I have moved it back to the kitchen.)

Excellent - so excellent in fact that you just had to show us most of the photos twice! :okay:

I will finally be getting a ride in tomorrow. I would have liked to cycle today but I had to stay in because someone was coming round to pick up an unwanted dishwasher and to help me move my washing machine. (The previous owners of this house had used the normal washing machine position in the kitchen for a dishwasher, so the washing machine was in the bathroom upstairs. I didn't like that so I have moved it back to the kitchen.)
Ha ha, my poor 'IT' skills letting me down again! I think I've sorted it now. I'll send you a PM re: getting out next week or the week after.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha ha, my poor 'IT' skills letting me down again! I think I've sorted it now. I'll send you a PM re: getting out next week or the week after.
I've just sent you one before reading your post! :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A mountain bike ride today. First job was to fix a puncture on the front....

It wasn’t long before I was stuck in traffic
DC40048D-6326-44BB-A077-05C3516EB31A.jpeg

I had a route in my head that involved the bridleway to the Red House pub. It’s normally rutted and wild, but I was greeted with this
199012B8-97A8-4717-8A99-6448F4128EA7.jpeg

Road planings and cut back hedges.
Along I went
296C798E-3EC3-4B6D-8DBB-276B631BCC6C.jpeg

Hedge flailings everywhere! And then I heard the flail working ahead of me, so I turned round and went to Wimpole
AA3D68D6-BDF8-4586-AB7B-12EDA1817CF7.jpeg

The car park already filling up!
6D9CD84C-5868-4366-BD91-959D75A5D3D3.jpeg

Up Arrington hill and a stop at the church in Hatley St George
90D684E2-41F8-4F58-B53A-EECFF0B505DA.jpeg

Then it was over the fields to Gransden airfield, after admiring the snowdrops
A270566E-93D1-48B0-B3AF-9EBF595167DF.jpeg

1B03958F-8EFE-44DB-AFEA-DC2C4FFF430D.jpeg

Along the back of Hayley Wood, and there was an obstacle
BE662BC9-CAB3-4A92-B3A6-739C6F8D6B47.jpeg

Along another bridleway into Longstowe, then my second puncture of the day to fix. More flailed hedges than you could shake a splintered stick at...
So I fixed it by the church in the sunshine
37DD398A-CF74-490E-B1C0-228EFF023777.jpeg

I then had a close pass..... by a tosser on a road bike. Inches away. He eased off 100 yds past me. He was wearing Rapha. I won’t judge...

Best birds of the day were yellowhammer and skylark.

Almost 30 muddy miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2169188991

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
20 miles for me today. Didn't enjoy it very much . So much for a it being a nice sunny day. It wasn't. Dark overcast and quite cold with a nasty headwind. Did the Mach loop and added a bit extra onto it. Skirted round the edge of snowdonia national park. Lots of cyclists out today as well on a club run I suspect.

Attachments

• 20190223_113124.jpg
    20190223_113124.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190223_111307.jpg
    20190223_111307.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190223_112159.jpg
    20190223_112159.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom