Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Here I am again in Brazil, and given the time difference it is likely tomorrow already in the UK. But this is still my ride today, and a bit of other stuff related to riding too.

Last year, I did try to buy tyres and pedals and a saddle to suit me and the bike I bought while I was here. It was not possible, any way I tried, so when I returned to England, I bought the stuff. Last Monday the trip back here started and the only thing customs were upset about ( in Manchester ) was the little spanner for tensioning the Brooks saddle. OK bin that, I have a few. So, arriving here I knew I needed a pedal spanner and a new seat post. Decathlon have a branch fairly close that efficiently provided what I asked for, and also introduced me to a local Audax rider. There may be ordinary rides in view, see how things go, I ain’t up for Audax rides in Portuguese yet.

The tyres, Durano DD for some odd reason, went on reasonably easily. The seat post, after today’s short ride, does exactly what it was bought for. A very nice minimal design that just, well, works. The pedal spanner is much better than the one I have in Leeds, but one is needed so rarely.

So, the ride. The hill down from the apartment is just the same as ever. So much so that the camera had wilted on its mount by half way down. You will have to wait for the next ride for the proper video of the descent of this particular road. Because it is the first ride here since last May, and also hoping the new stuff was going to work right, I just took the easy pedal along Beira Mar to the Hercilio Luz bridge.

There are two bridges, in fact. An old unused one which is being cared for, presumably so it does not fall down and kill folk, and the more recent one which is in need of repairs. The bill for which repairs is causing some raised tempers in certain quarters. Anyway, betwixt the bridges I stopped, fettled a few bits that had not been used for nine months, and turned around for home. I had forgotten water and also something to stop my arms turning lobster red. Ten and a half miles only in thirty two degrees of warm. And when I reached the bottom of the hill that the ride started with I pedalled pitifully few yards up it. Still, twas good to have a ride, even if I could not ride all the way to the front door. Big grin was there anyway.

And a map, not really inspiring but I should find that sort of route . . .

23022019.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Despite best efforts, I couldn't get the tumble dryer onto the commuter, so had to bring the van to w*rk. That meant a quick pedal was needed to keep up the 'ride every day' challenge, so I borrowed my Brompton back from SWMBO after getting up and did a whooping 1.5 mile circuit of the estate.....They all count though, and that's a ride every day so far in 2019:smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
well our first ride of the year weather played ball as the forecast ^_^ misty at the start but once the sun fought its way through it was very warm, had no set route in mind as I did not wish to put Karon under any pressure as her first ride I could tell she was feeling a little apprehensive :laugh:..lol
slowly picked our way through back lanes to the https://www.stockton.gov.uk/wynyardwoodlandpark great coffee +cake at the old station café ..loads of cyclist already out then a long the old railway path.was very busy with family's out with lots of young kids cycling also (great to see), turned off then headed to Sedgefield -the to fishburn-ferryhill -Chilton to see an old work buddy .. then back home so karon could catch the rugby .. 31 miles.... a nice leg warmer ready for tomorrow:whistle: View attachment 454211

View attachment 454212
Loving the use of the old rail routes and like you say,it brings the families out which can only be a good thing. My local ( NCN55) is well used and fantastic

Having been off the bike due to illness for much of the last 4 months and using Zwift to build up a level of fitness, the main bit that's lacking in my recovery was getting distance in on the road. A train ride to Manchester last week, the southerly wind and the forecast sun for yesterday said that a ride north to Alfreton would be a new and interesting route.

I plotted a route heading north along my (not recently used but flat) commuting route and then skirting the edge of Nottingham to give me two annoying Veloviewer squares. After a brief sojurn riding along the A52 where I was happy to be passed by another rider, I headed north west grabbing some more squares along the way. A nice climb to Cossall alongside a disused canal was followed by a steepish descent into Ilkeston itself near the new station. It was the sort of descent that would be quick if you knew the roads. The first unplanned detour took place on the climb toward Heanor where the presence of much CCTV meant I didn't fancy descending down a private road/footpath combination. This cost me 3 squares but gained me a different one.

A few miles north, I headed north from Aldercar along a road which had looked ok on Googlemaps but after 20mins of half riding/half walking, I gave up and headed back the way I'd come. The road had just deteriorated too much with deep, waterfilled ruts and potholes everywhere. I just didn't want to break anything or continue too much further. Skirted round the edge of Ripley edging north and had a nice long stop at Butterly station whilst I awaited a steam train! 42 miles completed, I was feeling the effects of the short and sharp hills round this way.

Despite Alfreton being only 3-4 miles away, I needed another 8 miles for the target of 50. The diversions had meant that I'd done more miles to the stop than I'd expected but the route was 11 miles long. Quickly planned a detour that meant I could finish smack on 50 and got to Alfreton station in good time for the train very exhausted. Looking back, the last 30miles had 2,200 ft of climbing in so it wasn't surprising that I was tired! Good training and a good day out!

I'm still a day late, but such is life.

As mentioned in Mundane News, we had a bog roll crisis yesterday, so yours truly was dispatched to the local equivalent of Boots to get supplies.

2019_02_23_01.JPG

The same picture from a few days ago, with slightly better weather.

2019_02_23_03.JPG

At the edge of the next town is a city farm. I nearly applied for an internship here, but for some reason I can deal with my own kids but other people's get annoying in large swarms.

2019_02_23_04.JPG

For all my whining about the local infrastructure, I can get most of the way to the shop without even touching road with car traffic.

2019_02_23_05.JPG

I left the Xtracycle making friends while I went shopping.

2019_02_23_07.JPG

Loaded up and on the return trip, view from one of the many Feldwege locally which make a fairly dense traffic free network for tree hugging hippies like us.

In answer to @classic33's question, I discovered an Xtracycle can carry 40 bog rolls quite easily.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Club ride today , given the cold fog i wouldnt have gone out but as i was designated ride leader today and people had said they were coming i MTFU
Went to Greater Haywood canal side cafe
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2172081209/embed/2ecd207814c14454417a6e963632f9c938d414d8
'></iframe>

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A nice sunny Sunday was forecast, so laid my kit out last night to include shorts and fingerless gloves. So cue freezing cold fog for the first two hours of today's club ride. My glasses kept fogging up, so I shoved them in my rear pocket and made do without. After about 6 or 7 miles I became aware that my beard was becoming a fog filter and the arms of my base layer were covered in dew. Two big beads of condensation hung somewhere irritatingly just in front of my eyes, and I discovered they were attached to my eyelashes. It took about two hours for the fog to lift, just as we took on the monster climb of the day from Uley to Nympsfield by way of Crawley Hill. At one point my speedo registered 2.7mph, and the bike felt like someone had welded the chain solid. Somehow made it to the top with only one eye open (due to the other filling with sweat) and without quite grinding to an absolute halt.

A decent coffee and cake stop ensued at Thistledown Farm before we descended down past the Forest Green Rovers ground into Nailsworth. We've ridden the valley road a few times lately, so I talked the others into hanging a left and taking a parallel road along the hillside. Good call. Great views across the valley to Box and Amberley on a nice quiet lane that allowed for chatting as you go, before we descended back down to the valley bottom and the A road at Woodchester. A total of 39.3 miles for me by the time I got home in glorious sunshine. Another great club ride. Enjoy the weather while it lasts folks. England set for gales and torrential rain next weekend (just when I have a 68 mile audax coming up).
Cheers, Donger.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a morning of gardening I went for a ride... had I have gone for a ride I wouldn’t have done the garden this afternoon!

A spin on my Cube through sunny South Cambridgeshire.
A pair of buzzards were spotted , but the wildlife of the day were Brimstone butterflies.

Riding through Grantchester there were cars everywhere, the Orchard tearoom doing a roaring trade!
7762009A-9F08-4BA1-ACFE-B84A58708178.jpeg

25 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2172357775

I was hoping to get my 100mile ride in for this month. I managed 30 miles when a twang signalledthat a rear spoke had let go. No problem, I will get my better half to bring my summer bike to me and carry on. She turned up with just the front wheel. I had told her to remove the front wheel to get the bike in the car, whe assumed I wanted to juat swap wheels (although one is disc, and one rim brakes!)
Still there is always next year for the 100 mile a month!

delb0y

Legendary Member
Another 20 mile bimble as I work on early season fitness. I loved the weather this morning - the fog is superb for photography. I saw a beautiful buzzard in a mist shrouded tree, I saw a majestic horse silhouetted against the river mist, I saw a horse and rider, in full dressage gear, with an imperial-looking dog sat looking up at them, as the fog lapped around their feet, there was a vintage tractor looking ghostly in a field of white. Just wished I'd taken my camera!

I did have my mobile phone on me, but when I tried to use it, all I could see was my own refection on the screen. I had no idea what I was taken photos of with the phone. But I did get the one below of the canal mist.

I know my mileage is not great compared to many, but these 20 / 30 milers feel like they've been doing me plenty of good. Won't be long before I'm back where I was last summer. I hope.

Mist.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Strange weather this morning woke to fog .Waited till 1000 lights still required as I rolled out the the door GPS said 5 degrees regretting the choice of fingerless mittens it happy with leg warmer choice .50 minutes the sun breaks throw as I get to John o Gaunt my J for the ABC thread quick photo then up Burrough hill and onto to Kirby Bellers for K properly warming up now . GPS now showing 14 degrees up Saxileby hill through Grimston where I stopped on a bench to remove my leg warmers properly warm now .On to Willoughby on the Wolds and the fog returns GPS back to 7 degrees warmer up so leg warmers stayed in my pocket into Loughborough to get L the road I approached on had now sign so through the town to get the sign as I leave . Finally the fog clears again back up to 14 degrees back to Anstey where I turn away from home up to Markfield for M then home via Newtown Linford for N. Home with a nice metric century 62.5 miles in the bag 5 letters for the ABC thread . Despite the fog it was a ride in great conditions for Feburary

colly

Re member eR
Out around 9am into a misty, cool fresh morning. It was very bright so I guessed the sun would be burning the mist off soon enough.
By the time I got to Garforth, some 6 miles in, I was in brilliant sunshine. I had vague ideas of taking in Selby and Cawood but at Sherburn I knew I should be turning for home. A few weeks off makes itself felt for a long time afterwards.
So into Lotherton, up to the back end of Garforth and back home via the route I had come out on.
I made a stupid mistake at the large roundabout over the M1 just before Garforth. The car coming round was on the inside of the roundabout and I looked and judged him to be carrying on right around. He wasn't he was turning left onto the slip road. I pulled out and he slowed indicating left. I slowed too and he carried on his way. he had the left indicator on as he passed me and while I didn't see him indicating as I pulled out he probably was. It was bright sunshine and maybe I missed it in the glare.
My mistake. In the unlikely event he is reading this. Sorry.

25 miles and 1100ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/31946712

Last edited:
Top Bottom