Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Very windy ride out to Portishead, out of Bristol via Beggar Bush Lane to Failand then down into Portishead for breakfast in the Wetherspoons. Home via the Avonmouth Bridge with a tailwind & lots of rain....

IMG_20190307_100534.jpg

IMG_20190307_102201.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Only a short ride through today's storm. On the way, I was somewhat puzzled by what was a hay field now being completely orange. From a distance, it looked like it had been covered in thick builders' sand, but it's vegetation. Anyone know what's happened?
orangefield.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Struggling the past couple of weeks. I've not done anything more than 12 miles in a single ride for over a week, even resorted to the van for work for a few shifts. Too much decorating, and the sniffles to boot.
Anyway, 1.2 miles on the Brompton tonight just to keep the ride a day challenge alive.
None of the CC challenge rides done for March yet, need to give myself a talking to and get out.....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A utility ride today to go to the vets to get a prescription for TimmytheCat. 8.8 miles on dry roads, a blowy but not enough to a pain, I also blagged a letter for the ABC challenge.

Oh, and I took the old BSA, weighs a ton but such a nice bike to ride.
798F6A89-E7D3-4217-9B58-5AD786383162.jpeg

520AF966-1C44-46E9-934E-A2AF2FDB0B23.jpeg

Sign doesn’t say you can’t ride a bike.

93A1294A-4599-4392-969E-18C1F2828745.jpeg

9E1DA0C6-5D9C-4F49-A14E-7EBD3B669EEA.jpeg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
There seems to be an endless supply of bright mornings here, so it is very easy to decide to turn the pedals. A quick check over the bike and down that hill I go.

No autopilot right turn this morning, across the flyover and carry straight on towards Joao Paulo. The first stretch of this road has some shops, one sells barbecued meat, weekends only. Just writing about the place makes me hungry. There are also hills. It may have been said that hills here do steeper better and this is my first time along this road on a bike. There are some good glimpses of the sea, and some of the nearer gardens and stuff. Trouble with the video is that the camera is underslung on the bars, so it sees less than I do.

Ultimately, this road leads to the shopping area where Decathlon is, turns out to be three and a bit miles from home. A shame the road is not longer, it crosses the major road and then wanders up the hillside through a residential area, then back down the hill. So, a gentle about turn and as is the way here, back on the same road. Not far enough, so it made sense to ride along Beira Mar again. There are worse rides. A lot quieter than earlier in the week, along the five or so miles of this I saw at least thirty cyclists. Most of the bikes I notice here wear knobbly tyres, maybe with suspension. This is sensible just for riding the roads here, mind, even when the roads are bad, they are better than the pavements. The cycle track here ends just after the road bridge and the roads are fine to ride on after this. On the return journey however, after the marina.

The Marina.jpg

I cannot bring myself to ride on the road against traffic flow. So I ride, and walk, along the pavement back to the cycle track. And then ride happily all the way to the foot of the hill that leads to home. Another sixteen miles, and a grin to celebrate them.

A very indecisive map, or maybe the rider . . .

08032019.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick run out on one of my regular routes this morning before I had to do things. I kept it simple and did my Upton Magna, Walcot, Acton Burnell, Longnor route.

It feels like we've stepped back to winter again so I was wrapped up in lots of layers and was thankful that there was little wind to add to the cold and damp feel. I spotted the "zombie outbreak response team" van that I quite often see around the Condover area (I think the owner works at the local hospital or somewhere close by as I've seen it a few times over there as well.:laugh:)

I wasn't in the mood for a detour through Attingham Park today but did take the scenic route later on by heading to Charlton Hill rather than the direct way to Eaton Constantine. There was an unnecessarily close pass from a taxi on the old A5 but everyone else behaved pretty well.

I saw more cyclists out than I expected including a couple of guys that I was catching up with and had almost reeled in when my junction for Longnor came up. The wind was picking up a little by this point and helped waft me back the rest of the way home.

35.2 miles this time at 13.3 mph average.

Just the one pic today:
DSC0007354.jpg

The Wrekin from my scenic detour to Charlton Hill.

pjd57

Veteran
A couple of runs today for my Mrs , selling then buying.
Both took me through Glasgow city centre and into the east end.
13 miles this afternoon.
Then a wet and windy 18 miles tonight.
I can put tonight's effort down as training for the Ride to the Sun in June ( Carlisle to Edinburgh )

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on the tandem today and due to the wind, Waresley GC was the best option.
There was a good stiff headwind all the way. Coming along side Waresley woods we could see rain falling to the west.

We’d been in the cafe for about a minute when the heavens opened!
8A0B73C9-651E-48B6-B95E-7A3A96E8105F.jpeg

Not had rain like that in ages! It lasted about five minutes. And then the sun came out
D4E36F4B-1387-4CAC-BBA1-104C435FF2AB.jpeg

On down to Gamlingay and another huge dark cloud appears from the west.... we took shelter in the church, but the shower didn’t amount to much
597BFF1A-A32D-4702-A642-83A98DD01BAF.jpeg

CAB39F18-BA5B-47A2-9FC5-ECB40D7ABB26.jpeg

E275B3D6-55A4-49BD-92A4-C2B31614A02D.jpeg

A264AC35-B89B-4159-9BA8-3B06A2721F32.jpeg

DEEA423B-BE2F-451D-ACA1-F443287D0FB4.jpeg

E03E9E07-C254-4497-8175-7CD796BA2107.jpeg

On up the hill toward the Gransdens and the bike threw the chain. Oh how I laughed.

Back to Toft with a tailwind/crosswind but a couple of scary moments as the wind blew hard through gateways, really pushing the front wheel...

My favourite dead tree near the maggot farm
9C221A36-C55A-4776-9883-3506E8DA874F.jpeg

The ride up to Hardwick from Toft was with a full on, gusting cross wind. We were battered for about half a mile. Twice I thought we were coming off, once we got pushed over the central white line, luckily there were no cars coming! It was a relief to get the friendly filter effect of a hedge to get us into the village. Interesting!

25 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2201191964

8mph

Veteran
I've been riding since 8am and it's now 9pm and I've only managed 80 miles. I'm ten miles away from the beach where I'm going to camp for the night but I'm having a rest as I have to backtrack 1.4 miles.
It's been hot, hilly and very bumpy, I'm on my 6th litre of water.
I've got to cover 60 miles per day for the next 3 weeks in order to catch my flight from Delhi. Today has been tough going trying to get ahead of schedule. There are another 200 miles of mountains and hills before I reach the plains where I'm hoping to cover more ground and have a couple of days off
IMG_20190309_065054.jpg

IMG_20190309_065031.jpg

This poor little pup had my ration of oats this morning and wanted to tag along.

Mike_P

Guru
Far too much time taken up today on the relatively simple task (according to a youtube video) of changing the plastic gear wheel in the ebike motor to a metal one. The plastic one was okay but I did not fancy leaving it until it wore down as that no doubt would occur at a very inconvenient moment. The problem was trying to shift the 35mm dia fixing nut, eventually the thread lock was loosened using a mini blow torch and changing the gear wheel was indeed a simple matter. So far later than anticipated, past 4pm, an ebike test ride of 7.8 miles and 556ft of serious gear meshing amongst the stacks of grease I had layered on it. Dry but definitely on the windy side.

TigerT

Veteran
Bit of a bonus ride today. The weather here is forecast to be bad, so I’d resigned myself to staying indoors. However a window opened up for 3 hour at about 11am with no rain but really gusting winds.

I thought I’d give it a try. I decided on the usual run over to Baden for a coffee. It’s pretty much a straight line and direct into the wind on the way out meaning a tailwind home.

The ride out was difficult, I spent most of the time in the small ring (which on this route I wouldn’t normally use at all) and barely got over 15km/h. In the crosswinds It was hard just to steer straight!

It took me 15minutes longer to get to Baden than normal, but The worst was over.

I enjoyed a large coffee and headed back. Much better! While the crosswinds were still tricky, the tailwinds were fantastic.

Glad I got out, the promised rain arrived soon after I got back. 54kms done and I can definitely feel it.

CC8C542E-5FBF-4332-8AE8-7E0FB3DDE8CB.jpeg

Mrs M

Guru
Top Bottom